Full House

• Please log in to reply

5613 replies to this topic

Reny Sue

Reny Sue

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 12:23 PM

My favourite Michelle episode is the one where she gets upset because she can't remember her mum and they show her a video and she 'remembers it'. I loved that the adult actors all played it off that they knew Michelle was lying but they let her believe it. Very moving episode.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 3:38 PM

My favourite Michelle episode is the one where she gets upset because she can't remember her mum and they show her a video and she 'remembers it'. I loved that the adult actors all played it off that they knew Michelle was lying but they let her believe it. Very moving episode.

I'm not sure where you got such a detailed description of a storyline that never happened. The only video of the mom was from the episode where Stephanie loses Mr. Bear. (Joey thinks he mistakenly donated it to charity but Michelle actually hid it, the little wench.) Anyhoo, the gang recalls that Mr. Bear was a gift from her mother, and they watch the home video of when Pam came home from the hospital with Michelle and brought a bracelet for D.J. and Mr. Bear for Stephanie.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 3:48 PM

My favourite Michelle episode is the one where she gets
upset because she can't remember her mum and they show her a video and she
'remembers it'. I loved that the adult actors all played it off that they knew
Michelle was lying but they let her believe it. Very moving episode.

That sounds almost exactly like a plot from an episode of The Nanny.

love21

love21

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 6:41 AM

A few people have brought this up on other sites so I thought I'd mention it here.

Does anything think that each child was kind of paired with an adult? All the girls had a good relationship with the guys and all but the closest bonds seemed to be with DJ & Danny, Stephanie & Joey, Michelle & Jesse.

Well Joey just kind of stuck with whoever was still a child over the years it seemed because in season 7/8 a lot of his scenes seemed to be with either Michelle or Nicky/Alex... but as a child Stephanie/Joey had a ton of scenes together.

But other people other than me seem to notice this so I was wondering if anyone else did.

Edited by love21, Mar 5, 2012 @ 6:42 AM.

love21

love21

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 8:43 PM

I don't know why this is news since Ashley hasn't acted since 2004, but now both Olsen twins have said they quit acting forever. Figured I'd share since it seems to be all over the place.

https://www.youtube....player_embedded

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

Does anything think that each child was kind of paired with an adult? All the girls had a good relationship with the guys and all but the closest bonds seemed to be with DJ & Danny, Stephanie & Joey, Michelle & Jesse.

Never thought of it but I think you're right. Much as I think Joey's a waste I did like that somebody actually paid attention to poor Stephanie. They did do one episode where she was the neglected middle child and even though it was silly and comedic I think they had a point. Danny certainly loved her but he was involved in DJ's life as she was a teen with teen issues and of course they all gushed over Michelle 24/7 and poor Steph didn't seem to get much attention except when she was in trouble, other than from Joey.

Dunno why the Olsen girls are announcing now they are done with acting. Have they acted in anything at all in years? And sorry, but the couple things I ever saw them in after this show - as they got older they were terrible actors. I occasionally hear about their college educations and their clothing line but little else. More power to them - it's nice to not have to hear the tragic child star saga with them - in and out of rehab, prancing around naked and drunk with married men, etc. They seem to be pretty grounded and I did seem them on something or other where they were designing some lower priced clothes and donating profits to some good cause.

sunrisepink

sunrisepink

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 10:53 AM

And sorry, but the couple things I ever saw them in after this show - as they got older they were terrible actors.

Yeah, I think it's not so much that they "quit" acting but they can't get hired for anything! I think the last thing they did was that horrible New York movie and it totally bombed. Every single movie was the same plot - they traveled somewhere and got boyfriends. Boring.

Sakura12

Sakura12

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 1:04 PM

Mary-Kate was in that movie with the high school musical girl called Beast or something. That came out either last year or two years ago.

Kosmonaut

Kosmonaut

Stalker

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 1:52 PM

And she had a recurring role on Weeds. I'm definitely more surprised Mary Kate's quitting acting than Ashley. With Ashley, I just figured it was a given.

love21

love21

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 5:04 PM

Mary-Kate also had a small role in The Wackness with Josh Peck from that Nickelodeon show Drake & Josh. All she did in that movie was make out with an old guy pretty much. I didn't see her in Beastly but most people who watched that movie have said she was the best part of it. I think she's a decent actress. I wasn't big on their twin movies but it wasn't the acting, I just didn't care for the plotlines in those movies. They were pretty much the same all the time except in a new location.

CleoCaesar

CleoCaesar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 3:32 PM

Count me in among those who love the "Secret Admirer" episode. Hands down my favorite.

I especially loved Becky's interior monologue "Danny loves me?! If Jesse finds out, he'll kill him. But I would get my own show..." Hah. And of course "oh Mylanta!".

auntie thesis

auntie thesis

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:33 PM

Question posed:

And it's Saturday night in this episode. Like, it might make sense that Jesse is home taking care of the kids. Danny goes out on a date. Joey - GO OUT! He is sitting at home making a Mother's Day present for his mom. Does he not have ONE friend?

Question answered:

The ones I hated as much as the Michelle-centric ones where the ones where Joey was presented as an overgrown special needs child.

I wish they hadn't made him such a loser.

He was a loser in the last 2 seasons. My God, I'm surprised that Joey didn't off himself in the basement during that time frame. Then again, it was a family show in the 90s. So I'm really not surprised...but man, looking back I just wonder how Dave C. showed up to work day after day after day knowing that he was playing the role of a mildly mentally handicapped adult man living in his best friend's basement, talking to a second grader in a Bullwinkle voice for half the effing day...

I think that Joey could have been a great character IF the writers would have expanded his range a bit and gave him some decent plot lines. Why couldn't Joey have had a serious girlfriend? Or been portrayed as a normal guy who did normal guy things? Why didn't they write him a dorky but somehow cool role like Barney on How I Met Your Mother?? Or made him an awkward but lovable spaz like Urkle? Or even a bumbling idiot friend like Eddie's best friend on Family Matters?

I've often wondered why this show was set up the way it was. Why didn't any of the guys ever move on in their lives? Why was everyone still living together? Why didn't Danny ever say "Ok, time to move on/out/up..."? Why bother with the twins? They added nothing to the show and were really annoying filler material. Why did TPTB turn FH into the Michelle Show? Why not do a spin-off starring Michelle and poster it all over the now defunct but still marginally successful Saturday morning cartoons?

Looking back, I realize that the show could have been SO MUCH better in later seasons without Michelle. The potential was there. DJ and Steph were both awesome characters in later seasons. Kimmy rocked the most when she and DJ were really allowed to grow up and be young women instead of silly girls. Jesse and Becky were an awesome couple. Danny was still quirky and fun in his own weird way. So why the emphasis on a petulant child who couldn't wipe her own ass if someone didn't draw her diagram first and congratulate her for doing it afterwards?

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 12:00 AM

As to moving on/up/out, I suspect it was to keep it a Full House. ITA with your entire post. The teens, particularly DJ and Kimmy could have rated a good spinoff in college or something. Also agreed, no point to those awful twins other than to develop Becky and Jesse into a family situation but them living there was insane. I surmise The Michelle Show was a result of surveys. My daughter, at that time, found her cute and funny although she worshiped DJ so maybe TPTB geared the show more to little kids? But even my daughter thought Michelle was a snotty brat and felt sorry for her sisters.

Yes, I could never stand Joey. He actually regressed over the years. I get why he was there, a sad only child loving having a family but the other guys (even Danny) always had girlfriends, dates, and Joey only ever would date somebody once or twice, then they would dump him. He gave up on his stand up dreams and never tried anything else. I was fine with him having that dumb TV show with the woodchuck, some success at last, but then he played with the thing at home nonstop. The guy was supposedly a good athlete, college educated, yet he settled for living in a basement and being Bullwinkle for kids that didn't seem to care much about him either. I didn't ask that he actually grow up and move on at the time but it would have been nice to see him with a real girlfriend and decent job, rather than the weird relative the family tolerates and gives lip service too when he gets his little feelings hurt.

love21

love21

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 3:04 AM

I actually like Joey, probably my third favorite character on the show besides Steph and D.J. but I agree he regressed towards the end. I wonder if had they known the show were in it's last season would they have done anything with him or Danny because Jesse is the only one who really made progress from the pilot to the last episode. At least Danny had a girlfriend that lasted 3 seasons though unlike Joey.

I think the problem was they stuck him with Michelle and Nicky&Alex and used him as the guy who made them laugh and catered to Michelle's problems, and they didn't care to make him any more than the funny guy because by the end it was the Michelle show.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

I always like the underdogs of sitcoms, especially older ones like Full House, so that's why I liked Joey. I always felt like he had that potential and he could have more depth than Jesse or Danny but the writers never seemed to realize it because it turned into The Michelle Show.

They could have used Michelle and the twins as the comic relief but they didn't (mostly because they were really unfunny in the later seasons). I get why they made Joey the comic relief guy but that doesn't mean he still couldn't have depth and a serious girlfriend. We've been shown that he could be quite capable of dating somebody. He could have been successful on television, but then they dropped it in favour of that dumb radio show and then other dumb stuff. The episodes that were centered around him, for the most part, were good. I still think the Vegas episode where his dad shows up is one of my favourites. But then they forgot about the growth that happened in that episode and dumbed him down again. I mean, we did see some of Jesse and Danny's personal lives (well obviously Danny and Jesse a lot more than Joey) so that's why it was a treat to see more of Joey and his serious side. But those episodes were quite rare and even some of the Joey-centric episodes somehow focused on Michelle (damn hockey episode... I blame the writers on that). Just like the Papouli episode focused all about that whiny little brat instead of Jesse. She managed to suck every emotional scene of the series because it had to be about her...ahem, but anyways, Joey.

That's why I sometimes like to rewrite the last three seasons in my head that make Joey smarter. He was aware and probably had the most potential to grow as a character, but it never happened. Not once.

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 11:03 PM

You're right. Joey did have a few girlfriends and they weren't all horrible but he somehow shot himself in the foot or whatever. He was a good substitute teacher (after we got past Michelle the brat in that ep), and we did see calmer moments, sans stupid ass Bullwinkle voice, where he was shown to be a truly kind, sensitive guy. I guess when Jesse got his own family they needed another fall guy for Princess M so rather than have him slavishly devoted to her (like Jesse) they made him the great big older brother or something.

Ugh! Papouli - had Michelle ever even met him before he came? Poor Jesse was grieving a close, beloved relative and the story was once again the Michelle Show. I get that they were trying to show a little kid dealing with death but what a crock. DJ knew the guy, Danny certainly did, but it was all about Michelle, a total stranger. I personally never liked the character, but I imagine most little kids did and that was the target audience. I do find it sad that there was no sendoff for him like the others and it appeared he'd live in somebody's attic/basement till he died of old age.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:24 AM

No, I'm pretty sure Michelle never met him before he came. And if she did, then she never remembered him. I mean, I was around her age when my own grandfather died and I was really close to him. However, I was too little to understand fully what it meant so yeah, I remember feeling sad and stuff but after the funeral, I went to one of my relatives house to watch Casper with all the other little kids. Point is is that I was close to him but I was too young to understand so seeing Michelle get THAT upset, for me, it felt a little over the top. It may be different experiences and stuff, but I thought she overreacted to a death of a man that she didn't know in any way, shape or form. And then Jesse ended up comforting HER because she decided to skip school.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot that Joey was a substitute teacher. There were still several plot holes with that storyline (like how did he get a teacher's certificate in such a short amount of time, but I may be forgetting stuff) but I remembered that he had been a good, fair teacher. But Princess Michelle went and whined and bitched because he was 'being mean'. No, Princess, he was being a teacher so shut your face and listen to him. And then she got the whole class to rebel against Joey and I felt sorry because, once again, the writers had Joey give into Princess Michelle instead of sticking up for himself and sticking to his guns.

At least they kept him consistent, though, with being good with kids.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 4:46 PM

Ugh! Papouli - had Michelle ever even met him before he came?

No, I'm pretty sure Michelle never met him before he came. And if she did, then she never remembered him.

Papouli and Jesse's grandmother visited in the 4th season premiere for their anniversary party, the episode where Jesse and Rebecca get engaged. Michelle was supposed to be barely 4 years old then. It's debatable whether she'd remember him from meeting him at that age, but I doubt it.

The whole "Papouli's death is allllll about Michelle" thing might have worked if they'd made the issue about young child Michelle dealing for the first time with the death of a person she knows. (Obviously she didn't "deal" with her mother's death.) But they made it like she knew Papouli so, so well and she was hurting more than anybody because she was closest to him. She was not!

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

The whole "Papouli's death is allllll about Michelle" thing might have worked if they'd made the issue about young child Michelle dealing for the first time with the death of a person she knows. (Obviously she didn't "deal" with her mother's death.) But they made it like she knew Papouli so, so well and she was hurting more than anybody because she was closest to him. She was not!

Right - what could have been a touching story about a little girl dealing with the loss of a loved one for the first time wasn't done well. I would have been fine with it if the person was an elderly neighbor she loved, or teacher. I was just digusted because this was Jesse's loss and other family members and once again, the spotlight was on Michelle and the people who were more upset than she was had to cater to her. It could have actually shown her in a good light if she was the one comforting distraught Jesse.

auntie thesis

auntie thesis

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 5:40 PM

I hated the Papouli death episode. It was sad and really, I didn't think it fit well into the FH world of "everything's good and we're all happy most of the time...except for Joey who is secretly manic depressive and probably jerks off into his moose puppet at night".

Also, Michelle just didn't fit into the story line AT ALL. No matter how you looked at it, she just didn't belong in any capacity in that episode. I would have rather seen a Michelle-free episode and had one of the older girls comforting Jesse or perhaps a moment of clarity with one of the guys rather than seeing Michelle be like "boo hoo hoo...death happened...boo hoo..."

I'd like to have seen Jesse grow a pair and be like "You know what Michelle? You don't know what the hell is going on. Danny, how about you come deal with your psycho brat for once???"

Eh, I guess I'm getting bitter in my old age.

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

I hated the Papouli death episode. It was sad and really, I didn't think it fit well into the FH world of "everything's good and we're all happy most of the time...except for Joey who is secretly manic depressive and probably jerks off into his moose puppet at night".

Hee, it was depressing but they did (very) occasionally attempt a serious episode, like dealing with the death of the mother. Now that you mention it, I see no reason for it at all other than yet another f*****g showcase for Michelle. You're right. Jesse should have told Danny to get her the hell out of his face. Then again, nobody ever enforced any boundaries on Michelle. She was free to join all adult conversations/situations.

navywife1994

navywife1994

Channel Surfer

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 11:53 AM

What's funny is that my teens watch this now and see how messed up the show is since it's all about Princess Michelle. They thanked me for giving them a normal family to grow up in since we don't baby our 6 yr old. I felt so sorry for Jesse when they made the Papouli episode all about Michelle.

love21

love21

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 7:33 PM

Most people think that episode and the one where Jesse almost moves out are the saddest episodes of the series but I disagree. I think if they wanted to do an episode where Michelle expeirences loss for the first time it should have been about a family member who we've actually seen more than once prior to the episode. Nick or Irene (Jesse's parents) for example would have been perfect because up until Jesse/Becky's wedding we saw tons of them and they've interacted with Michelle more than once. I mean using Papouli was fine for the death theme but it just wasn't believeable for Michelle to be that choked up over it. Should have been a Jesse themed episode with the other family members supporting him. Michelle could have been the one he broke down with to highlight that "special" Jesse/Michelle relationship they do everytime either character has a sadder ep.

In my opinion the saddest episodes were Silence Is Not Golden, Shape Up and Aftershocks.

wiseguy182

wiseguy182

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 5:25 AM

Michelle Tanner ranks right up there with Albert Ingalls and Daniel Larusso as one of the most despicable characters to ever appear on the screen. It's nice to meet a community of fellow Michelle haters.

To expand a bit on some of the more commonly mentioned topics.

The secret admirer episode is based on the movie Secret Admirer, starring Lori Laughlin. It's pretty much the same premise and is as funny as the Full House episode. It came out shortly before the series started, but isn't particularly well known. The first time I saw it, was like 4 in the morning on Friday morning on the local FOX channel, and I remember I had to get up early that day to watch it, and I was in school at the time. Well worth it though. One thing I remember from the movie is when C. Thomas Howell stands there in nothing but a robe and his underwear. That was damn hot let me tell you. The only other time I saw it, was on a Saturday Night in the mid 2000's, about 10 years after I first saw the movie. I think it was ION or something. I miss the days when channels would show random, obscure things like that.

The cake scene bothered me the first time I saw it. I could sort of understand Michelle maybe taking one piece and eating that, but to stick her gross hands and mouth in every damn piece of cake, of which there was like 20 or so, irritated me to no end. And the reason for Jesse and Becky bringing them home was so that they could sample and select one for their wedding, but now they were out of luck. They probably ended up with some nasty cake that nobody ate. I blame Michelle for ruining their entire wedding.

I hated the Princess/Disney episode. Especially when Michelle storms off and gets lost because apparently being a princess and having your every wish catered to is a bother for Michelle and she just can't take it. Seriously, she should have been used to having her every wish granted by then.

The thing that bothers me most about Michelle is that she doesn't have a natural smile. D.J. and Stephanie had natural smiles, but whenever Michelle smiles, it's just some sort of prissy, unnatural one.

I gotta talk about Pam a bit. I seriously wonder if she committed suicide. I know they said she was killed in a car accident, but I think maybe she realized early on what a psychotic little child Michelle was, and took her own life to be spared having to endure a lifetime of her wrath. But if Pam did die in a car accident, I gotta wonder if the other driver wasn't Valerie Hogan (Harper). Interestingly, both died in a car accident around the same time, so it's a possibiility. That would be interesting to find out, lemme tell ya.

It sounds like Nicky and Alex may have caused mischief as well, but at least they were cute. I don't remember the later episodes much. Michelle, however, was an ugly troll with bags under her eyes.

Halfpint Ingals

Halfpint Ingals

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 8:36 PM

It is good to see that "DJ and Kimmy" have stayed good friends all these many years.

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

Nicky and Alex were the male versions of Michelle-spoiled brats who got away with too much.

They also looked like girls because daddy did not want them getting haircuts.

BondGirl

BondGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 9:34 PM

I gotta talk about Pam a bit. I seriously wonder if she committed suicide. I know they said she was killed in a car accident, but I think maybe she realized early on what a psychotic little child Michelle was, and took her own life to be spared having to endure a lifetime of her wrath

Or perhaps. . .she was MURDERED!

If baby Maggie Simpson could shoot Mr. Burns, I have no trouble believing that baby Michelle Tanner could have tampered with the brakes on her mom's car.

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 9:58 PM

I thought the mother was killed by a drunk driver.

Halfpint Ingals

Halfpint Ingals

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 8:17 AM

That was revealed on a last season episode where Kimmy got drunk at a party and embarrassed DJ . She was mad at DJ, and DJ talked of her Mother being killed by a drunk driver. They made things right. It really was a sweet tender moment.

PictureItSicily

PictureItSicily

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 10:26 AM

This imagery is as unfortunate as the imagery I get now that I know who "You Oughta Know" is about.

The thing that bothers me most about Michelle is that she doesn't have a natural smile. D.J. and Stephanie had natural smiles, but whenever Michelle smiles, it's just some sort of prissy, unnatural one.

Maybe that's why they never smile now. Seriously do those women have teeth?