Full House

• Please log in to reply

5613 replies to this topic

BookThief

BookThief

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 20, 2009 @ 1:39 PM

Is that also the one where the girls were sneaking a TV upstairs and dropped it?

No...that one was with Kimmy and DJ. They wanted to watch 2 different shows at the same time so they brought the big TV upstairs and, if Kimmy was so smart, she would have brought the little TV downstairs instead, and while pondering this, they drop the big TV (which is really actually kind of a small TV!) over the banister.

You know, I didn't mind younger Michelle--there are a few moments with baby Michelle that, obviously, were unscripted but you see the actors react genuinely to her...and I kinda like that. I hated that Stephanie and DJ got in trouble for Michelle's antics in that episode with the pool, but in that one case Michelle was actually tried and convicted for her crimes: "It's no fun, no fun, staring at the walllll." It's when Mary Kate and Ashley became a bit older and more aware of acting that it really started to just be bad--they gave Michelle a lot more to do in episodes.

Which came first, more stuff to do on Full House or their huge video empire? Because without all those videos they have, I can't imagine people watching this show thinking "I can't wait to see what Michelle does today!" But once they made their way to grandmother's house I could see more people tuning in for them (kids, mostly) thus why they'd give that character more things to do ("awww, idn't she special?")

I guess it doesn't matter now...boos all around. I'm not saying Michelle should have been banished to the attic like Judy Winslow... I just would have preferred to see almost anyone else's plot instead of her plot lines. Are Michelle's feet too big? Tune in to find out! Will she climb the fence though her dad told her no!? Waiting on pins and needles to find out!! Will she tie up her best friend so he can't move away!? Ooh! Will she pretend the house is infested with dogs so the family won't move away!? I understand some of the themes they were going for--being made fun of, even when just a small joke can hurt a child's feelings, and moving away is hard to do, especially as a child when you've never lived anywhere else. OK, I get that...but they just did it in a way that made me hope they would all move away from Michelle and her large feet and live happily ever after.

There are child TV characters I like but the stuff about Michelle was just never fascinating TV. And most definitely not cute, at least not to me.

yellowcat

yellowcat

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 20, 2009 @ 3:54 PM

I sho am! My poor neglected blog of yore which I really need to start up again.

Please Do.

I can't believe out of all the cast memebers it's John Stamos that wants to do a Full House remake. This is the man who quit the show and would be annoyed and ashamed if anyone called him 'Uncle Jesse'. I always thought that he wished people would forget he ever did Full House.

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2009 @ 4:10 PM

I can't believe out of all the cast memebers it's John Stamos that wants to do a Full House remake. This is the man who quit the show and would be annoyed and ashamed if anyone called him 'Uncle Jesse'. I always thought that he wished people would forget he ever did Full House.

Nor me -is that even verified tho, that he really wants to do that? It seems he is the only one who ever had more of a career later - Saget did stuff, I won't even get into the twins, who became so famous for whatever, but Stamos was actually quite good in his dramatic role on ER.

How damn awful were the twins playing Nicky and Alex? My God, they make the Olsen Twins look like Meryl Streep. It's a good thing the show ended when it did because they were becoming more and more unbearable with each episode. At least Michelle had a couple of genuinely cute moments.

OMG they were horrendous and that floppy hair was NOT cute. And agreed, Michelle, tho we so love to hate her, did have a few nice moments and understandable plot lines, just far too many of them. Those twins were always 100% obnoxious from the moment they could walk and talk. And their parents were even more sickening than Danny when it came to even the simplest discipline.

Amen also to the twins' fame and this becoming the Michelle Show. I, and my then small daughter, much more enjoyed the plots involving the older girls or the whole family dynamic when not Michelle-Centric. If I live to be 100 I will never recover from Michelle crawling across that table and shoving her face in the cake. Cute? ugh, I can't believe even a tiny kid would fine that funny or cute.

Yep, had my Kimmy/DJ eps mixed up. I liked that DJ tried to be perfect (in a nice not snotty way) and Kimmy loosened her up some. And Kimmy was good at heart. Didn't much care for Steph's friend Gina or some of the other less than sterling kids.

kathyjo27

kathyjo27

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 20, 2009 @ 6:14 PM

Am I the only one who felt that by the later seasons Kimmy and DJ were no longer best friends?

I think of the episode where DJ forgot Kimmy's 16th birthday as being the beginning of the end. With each season they seemed to drift farther apart.

True, Kimmy and DJ were always opposites. And in the beginning when they were younger, I think that's what they liked most about each other. But as they got older I thought DJ became more and more frustrated with Kimmy. The things she used to find so cool about Kimmy were things she started to be irritated by.

Stephanie and Gia were obviously supposed to be the new Kimmy/DJ. I remember that girl Mickey that Stephanie was friends with first. She was the one who became Stephanie's friend while Gia and her friends made her life miserable. Then she drops Mickey and becomes BFF's with Gia. I'm hoping maybe Mickey moved away or something.

JennyLiz

JennyLiz

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2009 @ 9:31 PM

I think of the episode where DJ forgot Kimmy's 16th birthday as being the beginning of the end.

OMG, this was so terrible. And when they got in the fight and she said "Why are you so jealous of me and Steve?" I almost threw up. What a crappy "friend" she was in that episode.

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2009 @ 10:13 PM

Oh, right you are on Kimmy's B-Day. It seems even DJ was capable of dissing her girlfriends for twu wuv, a typical teen thing and sadly, sometimes adult thing. As an adult I've lost gal pals when they got a new man. Hate women/girls like that. Also right on the friendship did diminish for other reasons - DJ aside from Steve was goal oriented, education oriented and I agree Kimmy's devil may care attitude probably grated on her. I guess she outgrew the friendship although she still did really care, like when Kimmy ran off to marry the "whatever" guy.

kathyjo27

kathyjo27

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2009 @ 8:31 AM

I loved the DJ forgets Kimmy's birthday episode. Mainly because we got to see a whole new side of Kimmy. It wasn't all about her cracking one joke after another. Her rant to DJ is quite possibly my favorite Full House moment ever. Andrea Barber really knocked it out of the park. Maybe she was glad to finally get to be serious for once.

It's really too bad the writers didn't let Kimmy grow up. They could have matured her without losing the comedy aspect of her character. After all, they did it for Joey and he was even more annoying, and useless, as a character then Kimmy. At least in my opinion.

But DJ grew up and Kimmy was still stuck in the same place. Her character never changed. I can imagine Kimmy going on to have a long string of unsuitable boyfriends. Just total losers. And bouncing from one odd job to another. And DJ having to be the one to swoop in and help clean up Kimmy's messes.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Dec 21, 2009 @ 6:44 PM

And their parents were even more sickening than Danny when it came to even the simplest discipline.

At least Jesse managed to handle the kids' tantrum in the restaurant. Meanwhile, that one time Michelle snuck along on Danny's date to a fancy restaurant, he apologized to HER for going out on dates and bought her an expensive dessert.

Her rant to DJ is quite possibly my favorite Full House moment ever. Andrea Barber really knocked it out of the park. Maybe she was glad to finally get to be serious for once.

She was really great in that episode. I'm always surprised by how well she does with that dramatic scene, since she's usually given goofy stuff. Anyone know what Andrea Barber is up to these days? I know she's married with two kids, but nothing beyond that.

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2009 @ 6:46 PM

Thinking on it after reading your post, it occurred to me that girl was a great little actress. I always thought of her as the requisite wacky sidekick but the few semi-serious story lines she had she was excellent. I looked her up and she has done no TV or movies since then; however, she was on this stupid soap I've watched on and off for years when she was a little girl, then got hired for FH. That said, she had great comedic timing. I loved her deadpan delivery of outrageous ones, then she would just kind of tilt her head and maybe raise an eyebrow waiting for response. It was hilarious and never real over the top. Another ep I loved with Kimmy is when for some school thing she and DJ changed homes. It was fun to see prim proper sweet DJ dressed and done up Kimmy Style and having a ball with the loony Gibblers with their bizzare meals and family activities. Again, it is a shame the show got so Michelle oriented. I thought Kimmy and Stephanie were particularly talented but they were generally in the b-plot. Then when those awful twins came along it became officially the snotty bratty little kid show.

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Dec 22, 2009 @ 10:44 AM

So I'm pretty sure I dreamed that the Olsen twins died. Then I felt bad for hating on Michelle so much.

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Dec 22, 2009 @ 10:44 AM

Agh, double post.

Edited by lz1982, Dec 22, 2009 @ 10:45 AM.

kathyjo27

kathyjo27

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 22, 2009 @ 3:04 PM

I could never feel bad for hating Michelle. There are times I thought she needed a good spanking. And I am anti-spanking. But for Michelle Tanner I would make an exception.

It's always funny to me how family sitcoms can almost never write a realistic child character. If it was a sitcom centered around adults then ok I could see the child roles being a bit...off.

But on a show like Full House there is no excuse. I think the Michelle character could have been so much better if they had made her even a little bit realistic. Instead they went way overboard with the "cuteness" and sassiness. Rolling her eyes with an "oh, puhleeeze" and stomping of with her hands on her hips made my blood boil. And we're supposed to think it's cute and funny.

As hard as it is to believe, sometimes kids acting like kids can be hysterical. I don't have any children but I remember endless hours of babysitting my little nephew. And sometimes the things he would do and say would make me burst out laughing. But if he rolled his eyes at me that would have been cause for a serious grounding.

Realism isn't always a bad thing. I wish Hollywood would understand this.

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Dec 23, 2009 @ 12:00 AM

Too true - Childhood antics could have been portrayed realistically and still been very amusing. Agreed also, the eye-rolling was totally obnoxious, as was the flouncing off, hands on hips. My child did not roll her eyes at me until she was 12 or so, at which age it is expected. Obnoxious but that is when they begin to suspect that parents are not omnipotent and express their contempt. I also hated Michelle's butt wiggling "dances" and stupid stupid lines like "you got it Dude". Toddlers may attempt to express and copy what older siblings and adults are saying but that was soooo stupid and hokey. That said, the show was apparently meant for little kids, and my daughter, older than Michelle, thought M was a brat but also found it funny so .... I think it was intended as a family/young child comedy. And it probably did give comfort to many young kids, i.e. the older sisters resenting the baby but always sticking up for her in the end.

As for dreaming the Olsen twins or one of them died, Michelle dying would be fine with me. However, I have to say this. The Olsen girls seem to have depsite their ridiculous poplularity at a really young age, handled it well. I have never seen anything real negative about them other than an eating disorder for one of them. They do nor run all over Hollywood, sans panties, flashing. They do not shave their heads, have babies all over the place, go into rehab on a regular basis or marry and divorce once a week. The\y seem to avoid the spotlight and lead decent lives maybe? I could be very wrong but I never see anything bad about them.

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Dec 23, 2009 @ 11:39 AM

Anyone know what Andrea Barber is up to these days? I know she's married with two kids, but nothing beyond that.

This was on TMZ in April of this year. Click on the older photo of her (with Jodie Sweetin) and a current shot of her pops up (they claim it was on Facebook). Other than that, I've got nothing. I think she's just living a normal, non-acting life now.

balsa4ever

balsa4ever

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 23, 2009 @ 11:40 AM

As an adult I've lost gal pals when they got a new man. Hate women/girls like that.

I lost my best friend of 14 years when she dropped me like a hot potato after she got married, so I can relate. I never thought she WOULD be that kind of girl, but when she got back from her Honeymoon, she was a completely different person! Like she changed overnight.

The Olsen girls seem to have depsite their ridiculous poplularity at a really young age, handled it well. I have never seen anything real negative about them other than an eating disorder for one of them. They do nor run all over Hollywood, sans panties, flashing. They do not shave their heads, have babies all over the place, go into rehab on a regular basis or marry and divorce once a week. The\y seem to avoid the spotlight and lead decent lives maybe? I could be very wrong but I never see anything bad about them.

They're mentioned in a lot of tabloids, but just who they're dating that week, or what clubs they've been spotted in. I think they're turning into the clean Paris Hilton, no drug use or DWI's, but ya have to wonder WHY they're famous anymore?

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Dec 23, 2009 @ 11:43 AM

...but ya have to wonder WHY they're famous anymore?

I wondered why they were famous like that to begin with. How did a pair of twins who shared a role on a TV sitcom end up where they are now? Huh.

I saw Mary-Kate in "Factory Girl" (not the best movie, but decent enough) and she looked like a little girl playing dress up. I know she was in her 20s at the time, but she just looked too baby-faced for that movie.

kathyjo27

kathyjo27

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 23, 2009 @ 7:10 PM

What the hell is going on with The N's Full House schedule?

They have been playing the same five episodes for almost a solid week. With hardly any new episodes in between.

The Michelle loses her bicycle ep, the very first Thanksgiving one, the DJ meets a guy with Alzheimers, the one where the family gets snowed in at the airport, and the one where Joey gets Michelle's permission to play "mean" hockey.

It is absolutely annoying. I got so used to a new two hour block of Full House every night.

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Dec 23, 2009 @ 7:13 PM

They're mentioned in a lot of tabloids, but just who they're dating that week, or what clubs they've been spotted in. I think they're turning into the clean Paris Hilton, no drug use or DWI's, but ya have to wonder WHY they're famous anymore?

I never understood it - I do recall, however, that after those movies they were really popular overseas and from that sprung the clothing line which I think is popular in Asia? or somewhere. I saw a brief little blurb of them a year or so ago on GMA or some morning magazine type show where they were selling these awful clothes but were contributing a nice chunk of the proceeds to the homeless or breast cancer research or something? I also recall them being in an episode of the godawful Sev Hev which makes this show look like a masterpiece of cinema and they were really really bad actors.

Replying to the replies about Kimmy, I think her dialog in that birthday ep we like actually included something about how ever since DJ met Steve? she had no time for Kimmy, other than to talk to her about wonderful Steve. She was excellent in another more serious episode too, where DJ's ex, the rich guy, takes Kimmy on a date and DJ is acting weird. Kimmy confronts her about the Tanners perhaps thinking she's nothing but a goof off and not good enough for that boy to be interested in. Don't recall any details but do recall thinking "this little girl can do more than toss off one-liners".

LauraGilmore

LauraGilmore

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 23, 2009 @ 7:53 PM

Maxbird said

That said, the show was apparently meant for little kids, and my daughter, older than Michelle, thought M was a brat but also found it funny so .... I think it was intended as a family/young child comedy. And it probably did give comfort to many young kids, i.e. the older sisters resenting the baby but always sticking up for her in the end.

I loved this show as a small kid. I was about 4-6 when I watched it. I don't remember thinking Michelle was a brat but I was probably too little to notice. This is one show I have no problem watching when I have to babysit children. Most little kids I know enjoy it and it is the type of show that I think many adults can stand to sit through so it's definitely a great family show.

Miss Modular

Miss Modular

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 26, 2009 @ 6:01 PM

So I've been watching Saturday Night Live's 78-79 season, which I got as a Christmas Gift. I'm starting to realize that a bit of Joey Gladstone's comedy schtick was grafted from Bill Murray, particularly Murray's "Spackler" character (whose vocal inflections he did a little bit of on SNL, before Caddyshack), and the Nick Rivers character. If you're going to be fake funny, at least come up with your own original schtick.

eirefire22

eirefire22

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 28, 2009 @ 5:13 PM

In Sweetin's book, she did talk about a FH episode that I cannot remember and I would imagine I've seen every episode 4 times. She says it was her most uncomfortable episode - it's New Years Eve and she has to kiss a boy. Does anybody else remember this?!

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Dec 28, 2009 @ 6:04 PM

Yeah, it's from season four. Stephanie kisses that Rusty boy, the son of Danny's girlfriend, at midnight after he was teasing her all during the New Year's party that he was going to kiss her.

bookchick81

bookchick81

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 28, 2009 @ 7:50 PM

I just saw the episode where Becky is named producer of Wake Up San Francisco and Danny is all bent out of shape about it. Throughout the episode, they keep saying that Danny was on the show longer than Becky, which isn't true. They both started the show at the same time. Danny worked at the TV station before Becky did, but he was a sports reporter. He didn't have his own talk show.

And yeah, that episode sucks because it's from the last season, which we all know was crap because by then it was The Michelle Show.

Also, I saw the "Michelle has big feet" ep today. I don't even want to get started on how lame that one is.

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2010 @ 11:14 PM

I just saw the big feet one and Becky intro one recently also. And today ABC Fam had a mini marathon - didn't pay much attention to but the eps I saw bits of were the ones I hate the most. I HATE the Disney ones and saw the Princess Michelle one - she didn't get an extra rub, she butted in front of Stephanie, who should have been the princess for a day. I also saw the one with the Counting Crows thing and wanted to toss a brick at Danny thru my TV screen, where he opines it is "only fair" for Michelle to have a chance too, tho she has no clue who the band is and couldn't care less. Great way to make your older daughters think only the baby of the family counts, Superdad! Fair? My older sibling was allowed to do certain things I was not allowed to because DUH, they were age-appropriate for him and not for me. I sulked and pouted of course and was not rewarded. I was advised that I would get my turn when old enough and if I couldn't stop sulking and pouting I could go to my room until further notice. This show may have been family friendly, as in no gross jokes but it sure sent out a bad message.

ridethemaverick

ridethemaverick

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2010 @ 1:00 AM

Since a few people admitted to liking a few Michelle moments, my favorite is in "Hole in the Wall Gang" (one of my top 5 FH epis ever). First, Michelle's reactions when the girls ruin Danny's closet, then when they put the hole in the wall. I also thought it was absolutely adorable when she tried to stall Danny (I can say my phone number! 555-2424...), and "He's coming, he's coming, he's coming...he's here...".

She had the potential to be so much more than the bratty troll she became.

TMC1982

TMC1982

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2010 @ 2:39 AM

So I've been watching Saturday Night Live's 78-79 season, which I got as a Christmas Gift. I'm starting to realize that a bit of Joey Gladstone's comedy schtick was grafted from Bill Murray, particularly Murray's "Spackler" character (whose vocal inflections he did a little bit of on SNL, before Caddyshack), and the Nick Rivers character. If you're going to be fake funny, at least come up with your own original schtick.

Dave Coulier went on to perform the voice of Peter Venkman on The Real Ghostbusters (after Lorenzo "Garfield" Music vacated the role). So that wasn't the last time that he aped Bill Murray.

Writer13

Writer13

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2010 @ 10:24 AM

I HATE the Disney ones and saw the Princess Michelle one - she didn't get an extra rub, she butted in front of Stephanie, who should have been the princess for a day.

I immediately changed the channel when I realized it was the Disney episode. This was the epitome of Michelle's brattiness.

JennyLiz

JennyLiz

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 1:12 PM

I also saw the one with the Counting Crows thing and wanted to toss a brick at Danny thru my TV screen, where he opines it is "only fair" for Michelle to have a chance too, tho she has no clue who the band is and couldn't care less. Great way to make your older daughters think only the baby of the family counts, Superdad!

That, along with the episode where they find that Appliance Guy's bird, and he offers them anything from his store. One sister (DJ or Stephanie, can't remember who) wanted a karaoke machine, one wanted a big-screen TV. Danny said it was up to Michelle(!) to decide, and she came home with a cardboard cutout of Appliance Guy. So much suck.

LibbySarah

LibbySarah

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2010 @ 6:20 PM

Not sure if I'll get peached for saying so, but one of my favorite episodes of the series is actually a semi-Michelle one. "The Last Dance", 7th season, when Papouli dies. Say what you will about the Olsen twins, but for me, their acting in that episode hit it out of the park.

kathyjo27

kathyjo27

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2010 @ 7:28 PM

Not sure if I'll get peached for saying so, but one of my favorite episodes of the series is actually a semi-Michelle one. "The Last Dance", 7th season, when Papouli dies. Say what you will about the Olsen twins, but for me, their acting in that episode hit it out of the park.

I thought the Twins' acting was pretty good in the later years. Much better then the toddler "you got it dude" years.

But I hated the "Papouli Dies" episode. Once again it was All About Michelle. With a dash of Jesse thrown in there.

I get that Michelle sort of bonded with her grandfather over his VERY short stay. And I even understand her being upset about his death. But still, she didn't really know him. He wasn't someone who was apart of her life. I really don't think The Tanner's were very close to Jesse's Greek family. Which is weird since Jesse seemed to be in contact with them.

But it seemed everybody was so worried about Michelle and her feelings. What about Stephanie who also seemed to bond a bit with Papouli while he visited?