Everybody Loves Raymond

• Please log in to reply

5278 replies to this topic

Homily

Homily

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 6:57 PM

I always liked that episode as long as I never thought to hard about it. If I do I never believe that Marie would be all that at ease about being roasted. She would pretend to be ok with it in front of everyone, but not when they were all alone. I thought her reactions were out of character.

There were quite a few instances where Marie showed she could take a joke. Maybe not so much the Marie of the last few seasons but there are several times in the earlier seasons where Marie gets teased by either Frank or one of the "boys" and doesn't seem to get all bent out of shape about it.

oceanblue

oceanblue

Stalker

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 12:04 AM

I think she enjoyed being the center of attention. I think with the family she had she would have blown her brains out if she wasn't ok being teased.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 8:55 AM

Yesterday I saw the ep where Robert, post-bull-goring, was cranky with everyone after his doctor said he only needed to live with his parents for another 3 weeks. I thought this was a great ep, and one thing I noticed was that Garrett didn't do a lot of mugging. I don't have a good grasp of when things changed or even if he had mugged before this ep but just didn't do it for this one. Anyway, it was a funny and emotionally involving ep. I really liked it.

Kitty Bac

Kitty Bac

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 7:00 PM

I got to see one of my favorite episodes last night. Ray wants Debra to be ready to leave by 6:30, no waiting, or he will leave without her. AIS - Ass in Seat! Her hair gets stuck in a curling iron. There are two lines in this episode that I use in my real life whenever I can. Ray checks his watch, and says it's 6:26. He asks Robert what time he has, and Robert says 6:25. Ray says, What? you don't have 6:26? And Robert deadpans, "I will in a minute!" I still genuinely laugh out loud at that. Then later in the evening, when Ray returns home, Amy and Robert start arguing about the same "waiting on a woman" topic. Robert explains that when they leave a party, he's left standing at the door while Amy is on a "Goodbye Tour." Mr. Kitty says I go on a Goodbye Tour when we are leaving parties, too!

TalkToEmJoey

TalkToEmJoey

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 5:14 AM

Just started watching this show from the beginning again. On season 3 atm. Could one of you big Raymond fans explain why season 9 has only 16 episodes?

Homily

Homily

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 9:04 AM

My understanding of that at the time was that the writers felt they only had so many good stories left, they eked out the season by doing a countdown of the 5 top fan favourites. Possibly tbey did a special as well but I don't remember it if they did!

CherryAmes

CherryAmes

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 8:35 PM

I was just watching the episode where we meet (for the first and last time) Debra's sister, Jennifer who is becoming a nun. I really liked the way Debra reacted to the news and thought it was very true to life. I know Patty Heaton has a sister who became a nun and I wondered if this episode was inspired by that.

schnauzerlover

schnauzerlover

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 8:41 PM

The Jennifer-becoming-a-nun episode is a favorite of mine, too, but always reminds me of the off-hand comment -- don't remember the show or who said it -- about "your sister's wedding" or "after your sister got married," something like that. Always made me wonder if Jennifer had been married or left her order to marry or, and this may be more likely, it was a continuity error.

CherryAmes

CherryAmes

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 8:49 PM

That comment was from the second season I think, IIRC it was the season finale when they are having the flashback to when they were getting married. Aside from that I seem to remember there was at least a few references to Debra having two sisters. I guess they dropped the second sister at some point. Not sure why.

Edited by CherryAmes, Mar 14, 2012 @ 8:51 PM.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 9:56 PM

My favorite part of the episode with the sister the sister is when Ray has his shirt on his head and is singing Dominique. The sister walks in and Ray puts his fingers over his nipples. LOL

TalkToEmJoey

TalkToEmJoey

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

Oh, right. Thank you for the info!

motheroftwo

motheroftwo

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:39 AM

I never watched this show in its original time slot-now I watch it on TVLand and TBS and can't get enough. The character development is unique. I also enjoy the episodes when Patricia was pregnant in real life and was not written into the script....she's so petite and they really had to cover her up.

Homily

Homily

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:48 AM

I was the same, Motheroftwo, I was living overseas when ELR started and came back to Canada for a year, coincidentally the summer before the last season started. I'd gotten into it in reruns when I was home visiting previous to that and when we were home on vacations we'd tape it from TBS to watch back in England. Which meant we'd have a few weeks worth of episodes from a random season or two. Which we'd watch to death! It was only when we bought the DVDs that I saw all the episodes in sequence from beginning to end.

With regard to Debra's sisters, there are a few continuity issues (another two are how long have Marie and Frank been married and how old are they actually supposed to be) but compared to most other sitcoms that have a good long run this show was pretty good for sticking to the history they created for the characters. I imagine that's in part at least because so much of it was based on the real lives of Ray Romano and Phil Rosenthal.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 1:53 PM

compared to most other sitcoms that have a good long run this show was pretty good for sticking to the history they created for the characters.

I agree. The wedding flashback occurred at the end of S2 and the mention of Debra's sister's wedding was a very off-hand remark. I think they just decided to go "a different way" re Debra's sibling because they decided not to have another semi-regular actor in that role, so why not have some fun with it?

audreyngreen

audreyngreen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 2:26 PM

I had no problem with Debra's character when I first watched this show. More often than not, I took her side on matters with Ray or his family.

Now, knowing Patricia Heaton's personality, I loathe the character and can't bare to watch her. Funny how strongly a fictional character can be colored by the doings of the actor.

Tony Gancarski

Tony Gancarski

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 4:13 PM

I always thought Debra and Marie had a very mother-daughter dynamic, while Amy and Marie were more giggly best friends. The latter had more in common while the former had fairly similar personalities. Any one else notice this?

Homily

Homily

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 6:07 PM

I agree with you about the relationships Marie had with Debra and Amy. At least until Amy and Robert got married. Then things started changing for poor Amy!

CherryAmes

CherryAmes

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 6:57 PM

I can really agree with the idea that in many ways Marie and Debra were like mother and daughter. I'm pretty sure Marie would probably have had the same kind of relationship with a biological daughter - loving but also competitive and critical.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 12:17 PM

Absolutely. My mother is a lot like Marie in some respects and I think that's the kind of relationship we have. She doesn't come right out and say she's better than me, but last night we got into a discussion about my haircut (she didn't like it). I've always believed if it's something they can fix right away (food on their teeth, dirt on face, etc.) then tell them. If it's something they can't fix right then (can't glue hair back on), just be polite. Mom gave me the Marie mantra: "I'm just being honest." And it's to the point where I don't want to have her over anymore since she's always pointing out what needs to be cleaned.

Sorry if I strayed too far OT, but back to ELR: Yes, I see Marie/Debra's relationship as mother/daughter.

CherryAmes

CherryAmes

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 8:33 PM

Yeah, early seasons Marie reminds me a bit of my mother too. Lucky for me she was never as over the top as later seaons Marie though!

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

Somehow Marie reminds me of my mother also, but it's more in her mannerisms and appearance rather than behavior. My mother was never a buttinsky, and was always very sweet, but Marie's hairstyle and hands & nails -- yes, nails! -- always bring my mother to mind. Maybe also the way she kind of flits around.

kassa

kassa

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 2:37 PM

The other night I recorded Exporting Raymond, a film Phil Rosenthal made about the efforts to create a Russian version of this show. The state of the art of comedy television in Russia is pretty horrifying, but he's amusing as he tries to work within the local system.

There are some kooky characters, like the wardrobe lady who insists that the show needs to teach women about fashion. And she's not kidding.

There are no words for the excerpts from previous adaptations of American sitcoms The Nanny and Married with Children and I Dream of Jeannie.

I believe I taped it off HBO, but can't guarantee that.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 3:40 PM

I loved that documentary. Phil had to convince them to get an audience because the actors get energized from the laughter, but then the director wanted the audience to be quiet. The whole experience was amazing. Like you said, the costume designer wanted to dress the characters, or at least the women, in fashionable clothes which had nothing to do with the characters. SHE was a character!

CherryAmes

CherryAmes

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 2:50 PM

I just watched one of my favourite episodes. The one where Robert gets gored by the bull. One funny line after another. What was nice though was the way Marie and Frank were so concerned about Robert. That didn't happen very often!

Homily

Homily

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 10:22 PM

I've got a nitpick about an episode I otherwise like a lot. The Debra made something good one. My husband has been bugging me since we first saw this to make braciole. So tonight I looked up some recipes - um, this looks fairly complicated. At least for someone who has been depicted as being a not particularly good cook. Maybe I'm wrong - I'll know better once I've actually made it!

Pippin

Pippin

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 11:48 PM

Now, knowing Patricia Heaton's personality, I loathe the character and can't bare to watch her. Funny how strongly a fictional character can be colored by the doings of the actor.

I hear you. I feel the same way about Mel Gibson and Woody Allen.

Luciaphile

Luciaphile

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:03 AM

So tonight I looked up some recipes - um, this looks fairly complicated. At least for someone who has been depicted as being a not particularly good cook. Maybe I'm wrong - I'll know better once I've actually made it!

I've always wondered if Debra isn't a decent cook. She's just not of Marie's caliber.

Homily

Homily

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

I've always wondered if Debra isn't a decent cook. She's just not of Marie's caliber.

I think that was definitely the case in the earlier years of the show. Around the time though that they made Ray a complete horndog and Marie the evil bitch queen they also made Debra a complete idiot in the kitchen. That episode in the last season where she is icing a sad lopsided cake comes to mind. I'm sorry but a woman in her 40s who can't bake a decent cake is a woman who goes to a bakery and buys one!

edmonds

edmonds

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 1:46 PM

I think Marie was determined to let everyone know that she did not think Debra was a good cook. I don't think it mattered if Debra was good or bad to Marie - she was set on telling Debra and everyone else how bad she was.

The episode where she switched the contents in the spice jar to make Debra's meatballs taste wrong is a good example. She told Raymond she did it so that Debra would try and fail. It is pretty sad that Marie's goal was to make her daughter-in-law fail as a cook just to make herself feel superior. Various times she was talking about cooking and she would say to Debra something like 'Oh, I'm sorry but you would not understand - you have to be a cook to know what I am talking about."

Although Marie did not seem to dislike Amy as much as Debra, she still had to act like her food was better than Amys. In the episode where Frank and Marie go to Amy's for brunch (and meet her parents) - Amy has everything spread out on a table. Marie walks in with something she decided to bring (unasked, of course) and told Amy to remove something of hers to make way for Marie to put her food on the table.

Debra and Amy were sure not perfect. But I think they were both unbelievable in putting up with Marie for a mother-in-law. In fact seeing how Marie treated Debra, it is almost surprising that Amy would want to marry into that group.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 6:24 PM

Didn't the running joke about Debra's lemon chicken begin early in the series?