Everybody Loves Raymond

• Please log in to reply

5278 replies to this topic

clearwaves

clearwaves

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 7:04 PM

I attended the taping of the "Jazz Records" show, and word to the tension that seems to exist on some level. PH seems to be, quite frankly, a major beeyatch. Perhaps she was having an off night, but when she would mess up, she would yell "LINE!" and she even seemed short with the kids. And she is teensy weensy, bordering on lollipop-headom. DR seemed in good spirits but not terribly invested, PB seemed a tad out of it but okay, and BG was really professional (he didn't mess up any lines, and he did that egg slipping scene twice, I think). Ray is much hotter in person (imagine my surprise) and seems to get along with everyone on some level. He cracked up often at BG during scenes. During the scene where Debra gave him a shoulder rub at the kitchen table, he forgot a line and said "There's no blood left in my brain", which even cracked her up. The best was the tag. They filmed a few extra closers with the bra, one with Ray tossing it to the boys and saying "Hey kids, Santa brought you a parachute" and one with Brad sitting, staring straight ahead and saying in a creepy, leering, yet still funny voice to DR: "Put it on." It was a long taping (4 hours) and the seating is a nightmare - think high school bleachers - but we got pizza and water and a dorky emcee guy who was actually pretty funny. All in all it was a really interesting experience, and I still can't believe I think Ray is hot - that doesn't show on TV at all.

Ray's Hot? lol Was the episode funnier to see in person than tv?

Tension on ELR? There is tension in any show. I'm not surprised.

lovemesomevos

lovemesomevos

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 7:28 PM

All in all it was a really interesting experience, and I still can't believe I think Ray is hot - that doesn't show on TV at all.

I am certain I will want to slice my fingertips off for revealing this but I have to say I think Ray is uber-sexy everytime they show him in his boxers, socks and t-shirt (which for some reason seems to always be in the kitchen).

Ok. Gotta go sharpen the knife now that I have this off my chest.

Edited by lovemesomevos, Jan 1, 2004 @ 7:58 PM.

PootiePootwell

PootiePootwell

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 8:25 AM

I really enjoyed last night's episode where Debra went to work at Frank's Caraboo Lodge. We got to see a fun-loving, pleasant Debra, which proves that being cooped in that house with Ray and 3 kids is driving her to madness.
And Patricia Heaton looked damn good in that scene where she was drinking beer and signing with the guys. Those dark denim jeans looked great on her!

I also loved when Ray told Deb that they guys were talking about her butt and "points north" and he grabbed his shirt to represent boobs. Funny!

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 8:55 AM

Debra's actually been less shrewish in several episodes this season, including the Thanksgiving visit to Amy's parents' home. I enjoyed last night's, too. Loved Frank explaining the Caribou situation to Ray: "Don't make me go any higher!"

Elliot

Elliot

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 12:34 PM

Last night's ep was a very pleasant return to the ELR that I've enjoyed for eight years, or whatever it's been. About time! That mail-it-in-with-viciousness streak that had been prevalent throughout the fall wasn't there, and PB, PH and RR outdid themselves. We saw a bit of a new side of Frank, too.

Frank may have burned some bridges...I wonder if there'll be a follow-up so we see how the new lodge dynamic plays out.

clearwaves

clearwaves

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 3:33 PM

Last night's episode of ELR, where Debra was at the lodge...just classic tv right there!!!

I never seen that side of Frank Barone before!!! Telling the truth to Raymond....

Love the line about the guys at the lodge telling Debra that her "wife is nagging her" (aka Ray).

The last scene where the lovely lodge ladies were staring at Raymond's butt. And the funny thing is that Ray realized what was happening and suddenly went back to being insecure about himself. Haha.

Debra's actually been less shrewish in several episodes this season, including the Thanksgiving visit to Amy's parents' home. I enjoyed last night's, too. Loved Frank explaining the Caribou situation to Ray: "Don't make me go any higher!"

I agree with her being less shewish, she hasn't been in her yelling mode since the first episode this season.

I hope we see more of Robert and Amy.

Edited by clearwaves, Sep 20, 2004 @ 2:25 PM.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 4:02 PM

No matter what you think the best line in the episode was, it was likely one of Frank's again. My pick: "I don't want them talking about her like that. She's like my daughter, and they're like my brothers. It's a pickle, I tell you!"

Elliot

Elliot

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 12:25 AM

I'll go with "...I'm taking off my pants now!" followed by "I'm about to start scratching!"

ChinkyGirl

ChinkyGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 8:23 AM

Hee! That completely reminded me of Al Bundy when he said that!

mbridgii

mbridgii

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 9:28 PM

But does he normally take his pants off over at Ray's? If so, ewww.

This was a good episode. Even though the logic in me thinks "why doesn't Frank tell the guys not to talk about Debra because she's like his daughter", I don't have a problem. Glad to see Debra not being the big shrew (and liked them jeans).

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 2:08 PM

Frank often unbuttons his pants to watch TV, but usually after a large meal. There was an episode with Debra's parents where he inspired Warren to follow suit.

Apparently tonight Marie butts in to protest when Ray and Debra start making Ally responsible for some household chores. Sounds very typical to me -- so many grandparents coddle their grandkids, completely forgetting that they piled even more work on their own kids (the parents) when they were young.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 1:15 AM

This was a pretty average episode. Marie became a bit of a caricature, being even nastier to Debra than usual (particularly saying "Ally's grown up to be a responsible homemaker against all odds" right in front of her).

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 8:44 AM

Marie's said worse than that in Debra's earshot before. Marie's whole self-image is bound up in being needed by her family, and she deals with her fear of becoming obsolete by making sure they think they're helpless without her. I see it all the time in real life. Debra has to "take it" to some extent, because she does need and want Marie in her life, not only as an emergency baby-sitter, but also as a truly loving grandmother to Debra's kids. To paraphrase Frank, "It's a conundrum, I tell ya!"

Anyway, I liked the episode and thought it had several LOL moments, though I was too tired while watching it to recall many of them now. Frank's delight in Ally's cooking, and his shooing Marie away from the stove when she automatically started to show Ally the "right" way to make grilled cheese sandwiches, was very funny.

Mugsy

Mugsy

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 9:35 AM

I thought it was a really fun episode; the tone was very playful to me, compared to some of shouting shrew stuff of the past. I only started watching the last couple of years, plus catching random eps in reruns, so when you guys said last week was more like the earlier seasons, I'll assume this week was too.

The part in the grocery store where Ray tries to put Debra in the cart, and they're laughing and having fun about it was a refreshing change. Last season's Debra would have snapped at Ray for being inappropriate or always horny or something. As for Ally, it was nice to see a sitcom kid who just was there, acting like a kid, rather than spouting clever smart-mouthed one lines to the adults.

Those twins have hideous haircuts. Their foreheads look massive.

ChinkyGirl

ChinkyGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 11:32 AM

Something about Ally just bugged me last night. How old is she again? Somehow, I don't think a kid her age would be that enthusiastic to fold laundry and babysit. Cooking? Maybe.

It was believable the first time she said "Boys! I'm in charge of you now!", b/c I'm sure it's great fun to boss your little brothers around, but they lost me with the laundry. I was starting to think she had some sort of ulterior motive somewhere. It could be that she wanted to go to her friend's house, but I don't think Debra/Ray would have stopped her anyway. Is it just me?

Amisha

Amisha

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 11:48 AM

I liked last night's too. It was refreshing to see Debra and Ray enjoy each other's compnay. Even if it was set up so the in-laws could ruin the moment.

CG-I agree about Ally. I can see her enjoying cooking and bossing around her brothers but laundry? No way. I think they got carried away with premise and didn't stop to think it through.

javachik2001

javachik2001

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 1:23 PM

Agreed on the writers taking it a little too far with Ally's enthusiasm for the more mundane chores. It would have served the plot perfectly fine if she had just liked babysitting and cooking.

It was neat to see Ray and Debra having fun at the supermarket. Most of the time I forget why they're even together.

Edited by javachik2001, Jan 13, 2004 @ 1:29 PM.

Readster

Readster

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 5:37 PM

I agree, Ally and laundry went to far, but it was funny when she was holding the clothes that were taller then her. I've been there when I was 11. Ally actually reminded me of my cousin, she was first put in charge of her two younger brothers, there's an 8 year difference. She was like super cook and bossed her brothers around, and she still does at 16. The one thing about Marie with the whole "feeling obsolete", which extends to even my family. Truth is, Marie enstills fear to her family about going against her. Truth is, last season when Debra went off about how Marie is so controlling, was great. Truth is, I wish Debra honestly so tell her off followed by Ray agreeing, they don't want her controlling their lives. Leaving Marie to finally ask what she does now, be an interesting turn for the character actually feeling useless. I also agree, get the boys a hair cut, that long hair is not them.

Mugsy

Mugsy

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 9:30 AM

Have you ever noticed that Marie has a giant head? Her poofy hairstyle adds to it, but when she stands next to Debra, they are the same height, but Marie's head is twice the size. It's rather odd.

Elliot

Elliot

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 12:18 PM

I wasn't feeling it during this past episode, "it" being whatever intangible things that have made ELR one of my favorite shows for years.

OLucy

OLucy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 4:55 PM

Blech. Left me with a bad taste. When I read your individual comments about the scene in the supermarket, and some of Frank's comments about Allie's cooking, I do remember some bright spots.

But overall, this ep reminded me of why I took my last hiatus from this show, and why I'm ready to take another one. I am SO weary of Marie's mean-spirited manipulation of her family, and everyone standing hang-doggedly impotent in front of her, unable to grab the bull by the horns and tell this woman how things need to work, that I need to take some time off. There are usually moments of levity in this show worth seeing, but I'll catch up with them during summer re-runs. In the meantime, I'm tired of how everyone cows to the matriarch and the dysfunction keeps marching on. Especially Ray and Robert. She's THEIR mother. They should intervene, but they just get that stupid look on their face.

Yes, I know. It's only a TV show. That's why I can walk away.

caprijam

caprijam

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 9:17 PM

I have not been able to watch this show since the season finale last season, when Marie ruined the wedding... I remember thinking who on earth would do this? Really, who? It seemed even a little to rude for Marie, and that's saying a lot. Obviously, I'm not missing much of anything! Thanks for the posts.

stoneyburke

stoneyburke

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 10:58 PM

Not sure when it happened, but I haven't been able to really watch since Debra turned 'mean'. And then when no talent Chris Elliot was added, that was the end. I keep sneaking back, but it's painful, so I leave.

This show crashed and burned, right before our eyes. So quickly, too.

ChinkyGirl

ChinkyGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 11:09 PM

Ugh, I hate Chris Elliot's character - just incredibly repulsive, esp. when he takes off his shirt for the Thanksgiving play.

What's worse than Chris Elliot on ERL? When Still Standing used to be after ERL and he was featured on both shows....<gag>

Readster

Readster

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 11:46 PM

Chris Elliot is the anti-Robert. We don't like him or love him, we hate him. For the crap he's brought to everyone and how his parents are so oblivious to his behavior. Amy's family and the Baurown family are two oppisite sides of a coin. However, we take Amy's parents over Chris Elliot as her loser brother any time of the week.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 2:40 PM

Ray Romano, Patricia Heaton, Doris Roberts, Peter Boyle, and Brad Garrett all received individual nominations from the Screen Actors Guild. The show also received an ensemble acting nomination.

Oprime

Oprime

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 5:51 PM

Those twins have hideous haircuts. Their foreheads look massive.

Can you say mini-Vanderbeeks?

rue bee

rue bee

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 8:53 PM

Have you ever noticed that Marie has a giant head? Her poofy hairstyle adds to it, but when she stands next to Debra, they are the same height, but Marie's head is twice the size.

Maybe Debra has an unusually tiny head?

ChinkyGirl

ChinkyGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 10:16 PM

Let's not forget skimpy eyelashes :)

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 8:50 AM

Saw a commercial last night for Ray's new movie, Welcome to Mooseport. Gene Hackman co-stars and the little advance word I've seen is that the movie is very funny. I suspect that Ray's decision about whether to end ERL this season will be affected by how well this film and Eulogy do.