Crossing Jordan

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1725 replies to this topic

OHNicki

OHNicki

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 1:02 AM

Kathryn Hahn (the fabulous Lily) is a friend of a friend, so I occaisonally get some scoop on the show. I gather the PTB didn't want to show some episodes, then go on a lengthy hiatus then come back. Sounds like they were hoping that it would come in as a strong mid-season replacement.

Edited by OHNicki, Jan 1, 2004 @ 8:47 AM.

PapaJoesBucket

PapaJoesBucket

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 3:39 PM

It's a pretty smart strategy, actually.

A show with decent ratings and an established fan base up against reruns and real midseason replacements. Hmm, whatever shall I watch?

harmony60

harmony60

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 4:26 PM

One question i would like to know is, did I miss an episode or did they totally ignore the fact they killed off Lorraine Toussaint's character. It seemed that we had the amazing episode with the Ebola with LT, Garrett and Peter all either dead or majorly injured and then the next episode there was a brief mention that they were one ME down but Garrett and Peter were back in it looking fine and dandy? They didn'y even mention her death. Did we miss something?

vickyc007 Elaine Duchamps died in Episode #12 "Perfect Storm". If I recall correctly, they ended the episode with Jordan standing by Elaine's body in the morgue. The next episode was business as usual.

NickChick

NickChick

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 5:33 PM

Jerry O'Connell is guesting on this week's Without a Trace -- glad he's keeping busy. And Kathryn Hahn is in Win a Date with Tad Hamilton.

If I recall the gossip correctly, and I think I may have linked to it upthread (on this page even -- it's a slow thread =), there was some scuttle back when it was announced that the show had been bumped to mideseason that it was an NBC politics/scheduling ploy that had nothing to do with the production.

The show did actually go right into production on S3 after S2 wrapped last spring so they could shoot ahead of JH showing significantly and start airing in the fall. Then JH could have a reasonable maternity leave while the first handful of eps aired through EOY and then they'd resume production and the successive episodes would air after the holiday break. As it happened, NBC pushed it back, and JH opted for a longer break so they would have been in a lurch if they'd launched in fall.

As for where to put it, Third Watch is doing very well on Fridays and I don't see it going anywhere else, and I think CJ is definitely a 10 pm show. I'd like to see it come back to Mondays after AJ2 concludes.

ETA -- lawtalkin'guy -- That's very cool. He'll always be "rainy face" from Hot Shots to me ;).

Edited by NickChick, Jan 14, 2004 @ 12:01 AM.

LTG

LTG

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 5:38 PM

Miguel Ferrer sighting -- he sat across from me on the train between NY and Washington a few days after Christmas. He had two quite adorable young boys (sons?) with him. It was funny -- some people obviously recognized him, but I could see them asking each other "what's his name? what show is he on?" One lady even asked me, using that silent but exagerated way of speaking, who he was. I ignored her.

PapaJoesBucket

PapaJoesBucket

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 7:28 AM

Miguel does a lot of voiceover work for movie previews and commercials, too.

vickyc007

vickyc007

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 8:34 AM

Miguel Ferrer. Hubba Hubba. That man has the sexiest gravelly voice out. He was great to listen to in Mulan. I knew it was him straight away.

CJ returned to our screens in the UK last week with Hallmark showing the episodes nightly although I don't think they are in any order. If they are, the continuity person on the programme ought to be fired as they jump all over the place.

If I recall correctly, they ended the episode with Jordan standing by Elaine's body in the morgue. The next episode was business as usual.

This is what bugged me. That it was just business as usual and that Miguel and Peter were back to work as if nothing had happened. They could have showed them all being slightly upset/traumatised/recovering from the event.

Edited by vickyc007, Jan 14, 2004 @ 8:36 AM.

LouisVuittonRULZ

LouisVuittonRULZ

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 3:49 PM

Crossing Jordan returns in March and will air Sundays @ 10/9c PM.
Zap2it - TV news.

NickChick

NickChick

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 5:15 PM

Yay! Thanks! Full press release here.

Edited by NickChick, Jan 14, 2004 @ 5:30 PM.

vickyc007

vickyc007

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 7:01 PM

Hmm. Jennifer Finnigan to join the cast. Is it just me or am I thinking we are going to see much more of her this season whilst JH takes episodes off to be with her baby. Or do TPTB want to draw in bigger audiences by having more hot chicks on the show?

LouisVuittonRULZ

LouisVuittonRULZ

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 8:28 PM

I am looking forward to Jennifer Finnigan guesting on CJ since I've liked her on The Bold and the Beautiful. She should do well, and hopefully this will lead to even bigger things for her.

harmony60

harmony60

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 3:32 PM

According to nbcmv, CJ returns on Sunday, March 7th:

Episode information: In the premiere episode, entitled “Devil May Care,” a man is found dead in what appears to be a ritualistic, satanic murder. As Macy (Miguel Ferrer) learns that a high school student (guest star Brian Kimmet) has the forensic knowledge to plan such a clever murder, he begins to suspect the young man of having a fiendish motive for the crime. Meanwhile, though Jordan (Jill Hennessy) is assigned to desk duty, she still finds herself drawn into a crime investigation when she overhears a murder through the ventilation system in the office and must struggle to convince the police that a homicide was committed under her roof.

vickyc007

vickyc007

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2004 @ 11:45 AM

So they are totally ignoring the cliffhanger ending of S2. Um, WTF??

Edited by vickyc007, Feb 26, 2004 @ 11:45 AM.

OHNicki

OHNicki

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2004 @ 3:13 PM

I read an article (I wish I could remember where, maybe TV Guide?) about the return of CJ. It is going to be more of an ensemble show this season rather than having Jordon be the focus of every episode. This will give JH a lighter schedule to spend more time with her new baby. This show has such a wonderful, strong cast I think it will not just work, but will be even better.

Edited by OHNicki, Feb 26, 2004 @ 3:13 PM.

harmony60

harmony60

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2004 @ 3:55 PM

Couldn't agree more OHNicki about the supporting cast. I also recall reading that Jordan is going to be doing desk duty, whatever that means!

vickyc007, Maybe we all *dreamed* the cliffhanger like Bobby and a whole season of Dallas!?

RacerX

RacerX

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2004 @ 6:29 PM

I didn't mind the bit about relying more on the ensemble because I'm hoping that means more Miguel Ferrer but I am concerned about the change to a "ripped from the headlines" format. Yick, aren't there enough of those? If they want or need to shift away from Jordan and her mother issues then at least come up with some original storylines.

harmony60

harmony60

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2004 @ 1:53 PM

Two episodes a week in March on Sundays and Fridays.

CJ will also be on Fridays starting March 12 with the episode "Slam Dunk". Third Watch is going on hiatus until April 9th.

add_duck

add_duck

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2004 @ 2:09 PM

This show has such a wonderful, strong cast I think it will not just work, but will be even better.

I agree that the show has a good ensemble cast...with the exception of whoever plays Lily. She's awful, and the character really grates. I'm also not really feeling the love for the new blonde bimbo, based on her appearance in the promos. Why oh why did they have to kill Elaine? I adore Loraine Toussaint. Sigh.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2004 @ 5:11 PM

I watched the first season of Crossing Jordan very regularly, it held my interest. That mental hospital guy turning out to actually have info on her mother, Jordan going after him, almost getting herself kid. Jordan's as impulsive as a 2 year old sure, but with herf life, it was understandable. Anyway, I watched the Season 2 premiere ep and then I kind of lost interest.

I enjoyed Jerry O'Connel on Sliders, but he dragged his brother onto that show, and when scifi wanted to fire his brother, he said he'd quit the show if they did. So they were both fired and Jerry has such an ego, it bugs me. So I basically quit watching the show as his role on it grew...I am sorry I missed some Lorriane Toussaint episodes.

Anyway, I LOVED Pretender and when I found out MTW was guesting on CJ I watched, to discover that the plot basically hadn't advanced since the S2 premiere. Lily and Garett were still dancing around each other and Jordan hadn't learned a single new thing about her mother. And then I quit watching again until the next MTW (basically the last 2 eps of S2) where they finally got around to solving her mother's murder.

I really hope they don't just skip over and forget about the cliffhanger. But I suppose they could have had 3-6 months pass since then, Jordan's over her "kidnapping", James has disappeared again, her father's in jail or dealing with fallout from the shooting, Woody's fine. And they move on and tell other stories.

I could handle the ensemble show, but I just hope that the show doesn't become just procedural CSI-ish.

NickChick

NickChick

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2004 @ 11:53 PM

One grouse I have with the new cast addition coinciding with JH's leave is that newer viewers may not realize JH is still the show's namesake, and I'd much rather see the characters we already know and love -- Bug, Garrett, Nigel, Lily, and Woody -- get an equal shot at ensemble storylines vs. time being diverted from them to develop the new character.

I really like Lorraine Toussant as an actress but her character completely grated, and then TPTB chose to write her out after sort of inflicting her on the first half of the season. Ivan Sergei's addition didn't/doesn't bug me as much because there were episodes where we didn't see him at all.

I'm unspoiled, so I don't know if the new gal is supposed to be a lurve interest for Garrett. I really hope not, since we already got waylaid by the dance he and Lily did around each other and him going back to his wife and then the thing with the DA. I don't need the show to be his personal bedroom adventures. I'd also like to see the Mama Cavanaugh thing dropped entirely. For starters, though, I'm pleased the show is back on the air, especially given NBC's lurve affair with reality hellivision.

Edited by NickChick, Mar 1, 2004 @ 11:57 PM.

TheCustomOfLife

TheCustomOfLife

Stalker

• Interests:Slummin' it and lovin' it.

Posted Mar 7, 2004 @ 12:42 PM

I'm definitely going to be watching more Crossing Jordan because of Jennifer Finnigan. She was wonderful as Bridget Forrester on The Bold and the Beautiful. I've usually only watched CJ in passing but I'll be paying much more attention to it now.

Belle74

Belle74

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 7, 2004 @ 1:08 PM

I'm definitely going to be watching more Crossing Jordan because of Jennifer Finnigan. She was wonderful as Bridget Forrester on The Bold and the Beautiful.

And, she was Kim on Student Bodies. Student Bodies!

TheCustomOfLife

TheCustomOfLife

Stalker

• Interests:Slummin' it and lovin' it.

Posted Mar 7, 2004 @ 2:03 PM

I'm totally drawing a blank now. What was that? Was it Canadian? I know she is.

Edited by TheCustomOfLife, Mar 7, 2004 @ 2:04 PM.

some1105

some1105

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2004 @ 11:07 PM

I am having a major issue with tonight's episode. What the hell happened with Garret (with one T) and Lily? They just dropped it into the abyss, which is kind of insulting. She's back to calling him Dr. Macy and he's back to acting like an ass to everyone. Why?

add_duck

add_duck

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2004 @ 11:27 PM

Well, that was weird. I think I missed something. Who's Peter? Have we met him before? It's been way too long since this show last aired; I barely remember who all these people are. Wasn't Woody leaving? I'm so confused.

I also don't get why they were so concerned about only having a "circumstantial case" against FreakyForensicsKid. A fingerprint on somebody's eyeball (That was really, really gross) is the sort of thing a jury is going to pay attention to. Are they really going to believe his "I was walking home from school and I touched the body" crap?

And who doesn't think to wear gloves when cutting up a body, so as to avoid all kinds of yechy infections? The kid's damn lucking he only got menengitis! What if the dead guy had had AIDS?

Belle74

Belle74

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 7, 2004 @ 11:29 PM

I'm totally drawing a blank now. What was that? Was it Canadian? I know she is.

Yup, Student Bodies was a Canadian teen sitcom that was half animation, half real life. It was clichéd and predictable, but entertaining nonetheless.

Anywho, about Crossing Jordan...who was that blonde chick with Woody? Where's Jordan's dad? How did Elaine die? Just how much did I miss?

NickChick

NickChick

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2004 @ 11:41 PM

I rather enjoyed it, although I did have that nagging, "Well, what about X and Y and Z?" thing going on. I just had to let it go though because I was so glad they were back on my TV.

Peter joined the staff last spring, just prior to Elaine being bumped, if I recall (which makes it seem more like a salary swap than a character decision).

The blonde with Woody was a detective we had not previously met. She was played by Arija Bareikis and I would LOVE her to be the new cast member, but she's not. Hopefully she will be used recurringly, though.

Where did Macy pull the meningitis theory from? Was there any mention of the victim being ill or was he just guessing from the creepy kid's symptoms?

And that was a wicked fucking thing to do the shut-in, IYAM.

Edited by NickChick, Mar 7, 2004 @ 11:46 PM.

hugo

hugo

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 8, 2004 @ 12:09 AM

I am so confused. Did I miss new episodes? I thought the last original one ended with the cliffhanger--It all pointed to J's dad having killed her mom, he and Woody in a dark room, both with guns, shots heard, end credits? Am I making this up? Have I begun to fantasize high-tension endings to Crossing Jordan? Because they begin this season with no mention of any of it--dad is MIA without a word (or a presence in the opening credits), yet the don't, I don't know, bring up Woody having killed Jordan's dad and him having killed her mom. And the Jordan we know isn't likely to blithely let it pass, neither. Where's the bottom of the cliff?

Please, forgive if I missed new eps, and discussions of them. Fill me in?

I am so lost...

Delcia80

Delcia80

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2004 @ 12:41 AM

Nope hugo, you didn't miss a thing. This was the new eppy. Eventually somehow the viewers will be filled in about the cliffhanger.

Edited by Delcia80, Mar 8, 2004 @ 12:42 AM.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2004 @ 12:53 AM

I dug out my tape of the season finale from last May and watched it in preparation for tonight and was pretty disappointed that it had NOTHING to do with it. That was some random second season episode that could have fit in just about anywhere.

But looking back at the complexities of Pandora's Trunk, if they wanted new viewers or casual viewers, to watch, to air a continuation of that would have required a half an hours worth of "Previously on Crossing Jordan" with some captions, and flashcards, a nice slide presentation with arrows perhaps.

So, first they want you to like the show. Hopefully they'll get back to what happened before eventually. :)