Pirate Shirts, Hoochie Shorts, Shredwear & Safety Pins: AI Haute Couture

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

714 replies to this topic

Freckles101

Freckles101

Fanatic

• Interests:Television, especially Lost, Heroes, Gossip Girl, Veronica Mars, American Idol, Buffy, HIMYM, Pushing Daisies, Alias, Ugly Betty, Bones, and So You Think You Can Dance. Also, reading, listening to music, and baking.

Posted Mar 18, 2009 @ 7:09 PM

I hated Megan's "Walking After Midnight" dress. It looked like something from "Dynasty"

Yeah, it was hideous. Maybe it would have been better in different colors, but I doubt it. And am I remembering incorrectly, or did Jordin wear like the exact same dress during S6?

shyviolet

shyviolet

Fanatic

• Interests:Grey's Anatomy, The Office, The Soup, Top Chef, So You Think You Can Dance

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 1:03 PM

I thought the colors were okay, it was the weird way it was cut around her boobs that was the problem for me. Hubby referred to it as a "boob sling."

Mamalita

Mamalita

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2009 @ 2:49 PM

Sorry, Scott, not voting for the pink pants. How does it work with his wardrobe? Are the stylists backstage just throwing random articles of clothing together as outfits because he really can't tell the difference? It sure did seem that way last night.

Thegirliscrazy

Thegirliscrazy

Fanatic

• Interests:music, writing, bitching and moaning about life, constant daydreaming

Posted Mar 31, 2009 @ 11:56 PM

Ugh, Scott's hair tonight. They do that poor man so wrong.

I didn't think Allison's outfit, or her hair for that matter, was as bad as the judges made it out to be. The only thing was, there were four studded white strips going down the middle of the dress in a curved sort of way and they looked a little busy, particularly against the red and black color of the dress. I wish those could have been removed (they were probably part of the dress though). Still, not nearly as bad. And her shoes were white so that tied it in.

At any rate, her outfit didn't look any more like a wannabe trying to be a rock star than Megan in her snug satin bustier and gazillion necklaces did. At least Allison has been dressing like that the whole time. Do they not remember her semifinal dress?

(edit: not that Megan looked that bad, but she really could have left four or five of those necklaces on the dresser tonight.)

Edited by Thegirliscrazy, Mar 31, 2009 @ 11:57 PM.

Arabesque

Arabesque

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2009 @ 12:45 PM

Better late than never: AI stylist Miles Siggins and head makeup artist Mezhgan Hussainy finally started their weekly blogs about what the contestants wear and their makeup. (The blogs had read "Coming Soon" forever, even after the top 13 was underway). What's nice is they put blogs up from past weeks anyway, so it will hopefully have every week included at show's end. The AI hairstylist doesn't appear to be participating this year, which I guess is OK since there are only two women left anyway (In the past, I liked reading the detail about all the extensions, weaves, and wigs they tried, and of course, Sanjaya.) Though I would like to hear about maintaining Allison's hair color and if they've made any subtle changes to it.

Mezhgan is obsessively detail-ish, which I like. The only thing I don't like is that since she developed her own makeup line, she uses it much more than other lines so it gets a little monotonous to read now IMO. She used to mix lines a lot more. Miles used to have a lot of details (and even better, he often had fun stuff to say about their personalities -and how much money they did or didn't want to spend on their shopping trips), but that's when he was writing a column for ew.com . He's cut back quite a bit on his summaries, sometimes not even saying what label or stores the clothes are from. But hey, I'm sure Mezhgan and Miles are busy people, so...

Adam was pumped about choosing his own genre of a song. We decided to keep his look nice and clean like the week before! To start, he was hydrated using Dermalogica Active Moist, followed with the me by {me}zhgan primer to make the makeup go on smooth and stay on long. With a foundation brush, Gerda Spillmann Cream Foundation was buffed into the skin to even out his skin tone. To spot conceal around the face, Dermacolor concealer was blended with the {me} concealer brush, and Amazing Cosmetics Concealer in Medium-Beige was used under the eyes to brighten. With an airbrush, a thin coat of Temptu silicone base air foundations was sprayed over entire face and set with Makeup Forever translucent HD Powder. To warm the entire face, heavenly {me} by Mezhgan bronzer was dusted all over. Using a large, fluffy brush to define Adam's eyes, blue eye drops were used to make his eyes super white and clear. Then, his lashes were curled with mezhgan's reveal {me} curler, and they were coated with a thin coat of black mascara to the top and bottom lashes as well as in the eyebrows to make the eyes pop. Finally, his pucker was moistened with a touch of Kiehl's tinted lip moisturizer. He was ready to show the judges what he had up his sleeve this week.

And apparently Miles is going for the Kanye West -inspired look for Anoop, as Kanye is mentioned in three of the four clothing entries.

My brief from Anoop was to "Kanye" him

Edited by Arabesque, Apr 9, 2009 @ 1:17 PM.

utterly

utterly

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2009 @ 2:33 PM

Those blogs provide some interesting tidbits.

I'm puzzled as to why Kris seems so intent on looking older. And at the same time, I'm not, but the stylist is right in saying that his boy-next-door vibe is part of his appeal. There will always be something youthful about him no matter what he wears, and there's nothing wrong with that.

And of course, Adam's make-up section is like, twice as long as the description for the other male contestants, hee.

Ok, I have to admit to making a mistake with Danny this week...we found the jacket and shirt at Macy's, and we both thought it looked great on him in the store...kind of a Liam Gallagher (from the band Oasis) look.

A douche trying to emulate a (more talented, but still) douche... truly poetic.

My brief from Anoop was to "Kanye" him

Well, that explain that weird jacket on Random Songs Night. But Kanye trying to copy Kanye's look is a bit like him singing Usher... I'm not sure he's really got the attitude to pull it off.

It's a shame that Matt was hidden in the mosh pit when he sang the Fray because that look is the best I've seen on him since the beginning.

Edited by utterly, Apr 9, 2009 @ 2:35 PM.

Mamalita

Mamalita

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2009 @ 10:01 PM

Why was Danny wearing two parts of a three-piece suit to sing Aerosmith on Rock Night? It would have made sense if he'd been singing Robert Palmer, maybe.

Can't wait until the AI stylist blogs about where Adam bought those striped pants he wore for the duet.

Kris is too cute with the nail polish on one thumb. He's still sporting it during his visit to Arkansas.

Tab

Tab

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 5:32 PM

Top 12 Girls Night:

What was Didi wearing?! It looked like she put on a black bodysuit, then just threw a crocheted blanket over it.

I liked Katelyn's dress, but pairing it with black lace tights made her look like an 80s hooker. And that thing on her head (whatever it was) was hella ugly.

nothinggoodon

nothinggoodon

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2010 @ 2:16 PM

Not that there isn't enough about the performance to criticize, but Shibohn's hair/makeup/clothing makes me want to try to see a double feature of Clash Of The Titans and The Runaways!

Ashes of Roses

Ashes of Roses

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 3, 2011 @ 9:44 PM

Please don't tell me head scarves like the one J-Lo wore tonight are coming back in style.

bzork

bzork

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2011 @ 1:09 PM

I want to spend 2 weeks excavating in Tyler's closet with several mesh clothing bags, a good flashlight, and an awesome locating dog. Deity, but I love his fashion sense.

Edited by bzork, Feb 26, 2011 @ 1:09 PM.

whee whee piggy

whee whee piggy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2011 @ 1:32 AM

Deity, but I love his fashion sense.

I dunno, his hair on Thursday looked exactly like Diane Keaton's in her make up ads, highlights and flip and all.

Please don't tell me head scarves like the one J-Lo wore tonight are coming back in style.

Really, she's the first person be able to pull that look off since Rhoda, and that's up for debate. I don't think we need to worry yet.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

• Interests:I like TV.

Posted Mar 17, 2011 @ 3:34 PM

For the first time ever, (which means in six seasons for me,) I am interested in what these people are wearing.

In particular, two people are really bothering me.

First, Scotty needs to put the damn cowboy hat on for two reasons:
1. If he heads out of the AI world and starts an honest to God career as a recording artist, the first thing they're going to do is put a hat on him. All of the guys who sang the songs he's singing wore the stupid hat. Also,
2. This will possibly distract me from the fact that sometimes he looks like Alfred E. Newman, sometimes he looks like George W. Bush, and always he looks like young kid who shouldn't have that voice.

Second, Pia needs to wear some hot, non-Miss America clothes and bounce around the stage. She's got a good voice. She's a hot young woman. Why on earth hasn't explained how much money she could make to her with that combination? God. Leave the standing in place singing ballads to the older or less attractive people. Sure, she could add a couple of those into her performances, but the money is there for the taking as a pop star if she wants it.

Edited by JTMacc99, Mar 17, 2011 @ 3:35 PM.

Occasional Hope

Occasional Hope

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2011 @ 6:40 PM

First, Scotty needs to put the damn cowboy hat on for two reasons:
1. If he heads out of the AI world and starts an honest to God career as a recording artist, the first thing they're going to do is put a hat on him. All of the guys who sang the songs he's singing wore the stupid hat.

Not all country singers wear hats. Indeed, Travis Tritt, who Scotty covered this week, didn't (and one of his tours, with Marty Stuart, was billed the No Hats tour).

ForgetYall

ForgetYall

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 17, 2011 @ 9:41 PM

Pia, Pia, Pia...a shiny cold-shoulder jumpsuit with an elastic waist? I was hoping she wouldn't wear another pageant dress, but if the alternative is that dire... How about black leggings and a top that's not too ridiculous?

Karen looked like she walked off the set of Barbarella.

Lauren, or the stylists, have borrowed the Carrie Underwood AI uniform of the jacket-and-jeans combo to earn the Most Improved Style award of the week. I think girls who sing country on the show feel freer to dress more casually for their performances.

ForgetYall

ForgetYall

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 26, 2011 @ 10:45 AM

I didn't have an issue with Lauren's striped dress making her look "heavy", it was just too long for someone planning to move around the stage. As she sang, I was just hoping she wouldn't trip. The same for Naima and her bellbottoms when she danced.

Pia's dress was a bit boxy in the shoulders for me, but designers are trying to make shoulder pads happen again.

Jacob's jacket looked a little too small. I liked Stefano for wearing blue kicks just to see some color on the guys.

J-Lo really caked on the eyeshadow Wednesday.

LOVED the "old school Motown" outfits for the results show.

lgrant2001

lgrant2001

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2011 @ 9:18 AM

What the hell was going on with Pia's outfit last night?! It looked like she hiked a pair of Hammer pants up to her armpits and threw on a belt.

smart rabbit

smart rabbit

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2011 @ 10:36 AM

All the women were wearing Gwen Stefani Halloween costumes.

ForgetYall

ForgetYall

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 8:59 PM

Loved Haley's red-and-white polka dot and her green skirt tonight. Great hair lately, too.

Didn't love the cut of Lauren's skirt yesterday or the length on her. I suppose it could've been worse, with glitter and sequins and more purple! and pink!

Hope Stefano gives those red suspenders back to James before he goes!

baocai

baocai

Just Tuned In

Posted May 5, 2011 @ 9:02 PM

I didn't think Allison's outfit, or her hair for that matter, was as bad as the judges made it out to be. Still, not nearly as bad. And her shoes were white so that tied it in. I wish those could have been removed.The only runescape gold thing was, there were four studded white strips rs gold going down the middle of the dress in a curved sort of way and they looked a little busy, particularly against the red and black color of the dress.

ForgetYall

ForgetYall

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2011 @ 7:11 AM

James, please don't go sleeveless ever again.

I would've liked Lauren's first outfit better without the fringe. I did not realize that she was wearing over-the-knee boots. Don't think my mom would've let me on national TV in those at 16! The white and blue dress for "Unchained Melody" wasn't my favorite, but it could've been worse, considering.

Haley wore two different takes on a black top and grayish pants. Interesting. I don't think I've seen anyone on AI do that before. Usually, if a girl on AI is singing twice, she wears something casual and then the pageant gown.

I am going to miss Jacob's colorful outfits.

ForgetYall

ForgetYall

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 5:30 PM

Bumping thread for Jermaine's awful Sing For Your Life look of an argyle sweater vest with nothing underneath!

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:13 AM

I admit that I'm very curious to see what Tommy Hilfiger will do with these people's 'style'. I wonder if that will include hair?
The girls are going to be a lot less sparkly, I think.

ForgetYall

ForgetYall

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 5:13 PM

What was Hollie wearing last night? Celine Dion meets Vegas meets circus ringleader chic? Horrendous.

Edited by ForgetYall, Mar 22, 2012 @ 5:15 PM.

whee whee piggy

whee whee piggy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 4:21 PM

In Hollie's first live episode stage performance, I was totally distracted by the weird way she stood and how it made her ankles appear broken. I was utterly fixated and thought it diminished her overall stage presence. I *swear* someone in TPTB noticed it too, because ever since then, her ankles have been hidden. The next week, she was knee-deep in fog, and this week, those weird bell-bottom pants! Seriously, was she on stilts under there?

I'm a minority that thought Erika's makeover was a vast improvement. Ironically, I thought it made her look younger to have dark hair. Did her no good, which goes to show that big pink gums will still trump all, but at least some fashion genius passed on this tip to her: Black is slimming.

Who knew?