Dr. Phil

• Please log in to reply

14267 replies to this topic

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 5:19 PM

Something did happen. A girl got drunk, probably passed out and those little f**kers took advantage of her. Why? Because they were all there and the opportunity presented itself and their wild teen hormones and peer pressure to "MAN" up and "SCORE" pushed them to rape her.

Yes, something did happen. However, it wasn't a case of convenience as you are suggesting. The victim was lured to a party with the intent of being raped. It was revenge for breaking up with one of the teammates. The tweets are out there as are screenshots of the text messages. It wasn't a random attack. It was premeditated.

JoeMack

JoeMack

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 8:20 PM

Lets hope someone does some jail time over this.

Sugarwater

Sugarwater

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 11:13 PM

He said he never met someone with that condition yet just a couple of months ago he had a woman on the show who could summon the different personalities. Did he really think we'd forget his previous episodes?

He probably meant he had never met anyone who he truly believes has the condition.

GrrlPower

GrrlPower

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 12:13 AM

I can believe something like that could happen. You get a bunch of hormone driven teenage boys together, throw in some alcohol, maybe some weed and automatically their little brains shift to sex. Add a drunk girl to the mix and you have a recipe for disaster.

Bullshit. Alcohol doesn't turn boys into rapists. Gender norms that demand aggressively sexualized hyper-masculinity makes rapists. That alcohol excuse is for the birds. If someone is so fucked up that they don't know what they are doing, there is no way they have the coordination or balance to stand, let alone rape a chick. Each one of those boys were cognizant of their actions and need to be held accountable. I don't know what the girl's state of inebriation has to do with it, but I heard a lot of victim-blaming on that show yesterday, including the emphasis on the girl's drunkenness.

It's a reflection of our sports-obsessed society that a winning football season can make people look the other way, even in a crime as horrible as rape, or rise up in righteous indignation

I don't think it's just about sports. This case has a lot to do with race, and no one is talking about it b/c racism is only seen in terms of oppression of people of color while the flip side of white privilege is ignored. Whiteness offers a lot of privileges, including the privilege of being given the benefit of the doubt. There is no way Phil would have given "the boy with the tweets" all of that benefit of the doubt about being a good person who was probably drunk (again with the senseless inebriation excuse) when he tweeted those horrible things if he were black. There is no way local law enforcement would have tried sweeping this under the rug if the boys were black. There is no way that blond lady on Phil's show would have been screaming for "the positive side" if the boys were black. These boys have more privilege than just being football players.

JoeMack

JoeMack

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 12:38 AM

Bullshit. Alcohol doesn't turn boys into rapists.

Sure it can under the right circumstances. It lowers their inhibitions. Being drunk doesn't excuse their behavior though. You get drunk and screw a chick who doesn't want to get screwed, even if she is drunk as well then you just raped her.....simple as that.

He probably meant he had never met anyone who he truly believes has the condition

During that episode, he seemed to think she was of a different mind. He didn't seem to think that it was set up.

Edited by JoeMack, Jan 19, 2013 @ 12:40 AM.

CaughtOnTape

CaughtOnTape

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 11:15 PM

Who gives a shit what the mother of a football player thinks?

I think initially his intention for the show was to get some heavy hitters, actual people involved and see what he could get out of them. When it became clear that wasn't going to happen (mostly because everyone has lawyered up and further NO ONE who actually knows shit about what went on that night is going to open up themselves to more mud slinging in their direction) then the intention of the show changed.
I don't think he wanted actual details about what happened that night, which is why he didn't go into detail about what happened that night. I think he wanted to show just how easy it is for kids to make REALLY INSANELY DISGUSTING and STUPID decisions when there is not an adult present. I also think it was his intention to show that the entire town comes off as rape apologists and there's a reason why - People's Exhibit #1 - Jill. If I lived in this town and saw this bitch get up and start blowing smoke about how this is a good town and not everyone who lives there is an asshole and then behave the way she did, I'd be pissed. She talked out of both sides of her mouth and when she got pissed her true feelings came out. To even suggest this girl may be lying when there is actual video and picture evidence is just the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. Which, sorry to say, is how most of that town is coming off. She did her community no favors.

I will say this: The kid in the video, Michael Nodianos - Dr. Phil's defense of him pissed me right the hell off. Don't tell me this kid isn't a complete dickwad who is a waste of fucking space and that if he was "rational" he would change his mind. That kid knew exactly what he was saying and he was in the presence of friends, which is when most people's filters come off. I don't care if he was drunk, what he said was inexcusable, reprehensible, and indefensible and if I was his mother I would find it hard to ever look him in the face again. He doesn't deserve to be vilified for the rest of his life? Sorry, that's exactly what he deserves. Either that or to have some kind of mandatory public service sentence where he has to sit in a room full of rape survivors daily for 2 hours and listen to their stories. All I can say is that every woman and young girl in America should be shown his picture and stay far far away. He.is.disgusting.

Edited by CaughtOnTape, Jan 19, 2013 @ 11:19 PM.

Jailhouse nurse

Jailhouse nurse

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 20, 2013 @ 4:16 PM

First, I was surprised at Dr. Phil's atitude on the slutty dressers. Then, I remembered that his daughter in law is on video taking a bubblebath with her two sisters--naked and the triplet sisters have been in adult magazines. He couldn't exactly diss this lifestyle. I applaud the woman who explained herself, rather well at that, who thought girls/women should cover themselves up. Also, showing the picture of Robin wearing the sleeveless top and asking if it was inappropriate was just plain stupid. Have Robin sit in a bath rubbing on her sisters and then ask that question.

scruffy73

scruffy73

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2013 @ 8:03 PM

I will say this: The kid in the video, Michael Nodianos - Dr. Phil's defense of him pissed me right the hell off. Don't tell me this kid isn't a complete dickwad who is a waste of fucking space and that if he was "rational" he would change his mind. That kid knew exactly what he was saying and he was in the presence of friends, which is when most people's filters come off. I don't care if he was drunk, what he said was inexcusable, reprehensible, and indefensible and if I was his mother I would find it hard to ever look him in the face again. He doesn't deserve to be vilified for the rest of his life? Sorry, that's exactly what he deserves. Either that or to have some kind of mandatory public service sentence where he has to sit in a room full of rape survivors daily for 2 hours and listen to their stories. All I can say is that every woman and young girl in America should be shown his picture and stay far far away. He.is.disgusting.

I agree. He may just need "encouragement" to help him change his ways and your public service sentence sounds like just what he and all those boys needs. They think rape is no big deal, that it is just having sex with a girl when she doesn't want to. They don't think about the consequences for themselves much less how it affects a girl/woman for the rest of her life. They don't understand that it is a complete violation and that some girls become women that cannot get over what happened. Lord, let me stop before I get angry and the people that I am angry at aren't even around to read what I have to say.

First, I was surprised at Dr. Phil's atitude on the slutty dressers. Then, I remembered that his daughter in law is on video taking a bubblebath with her two sisters--naked and the triplet sisters have been in adult magazines. He couldn't exactly diss this lifestyle. I applaud the woman who explained herself, rather well at that, who thought girls/women should cover themselves up. Also, showing the picture of Robin wearing the sleeveless top and asking if it was inappropriate was just plain stupid. Have Robin sit in a bath rubbing on her sisters and then ask that question.

I was definitely not prepared for Dr. Phil's "it's no big deal how you dress" attitude. He is correct in that, yes, everyone can wear whatever they want. And no, dressing too sexy or too slutty (subjective) does not give anyone the right to treat you poorly and definitely not to violate you. However, in the real world, people do judge you by your appearance, whether positively or negatively. The young girl who made the "Did you know your boobs go in your shirt" pics impressed me. She is just a girl that wanted to communicate something to other girls. There is nothing bullying or slut-shaming about it. The girl who killed herself was slut-shamed. People were talking directly to and about HER, not some global/random/arbitrary "you" like the pictures. That girl was attacked for her behavior. She was mistreated. And she felt so bad that she committed suicide. I was sick when I was watching that part of the show. The other parts, not so much.

I don't feel sorry for people who get judged for dressing immodestly. I acknowledge that they can be the oppositive of what they look like. Hell, I used to wear little shorts and skirts when I was skinny but I never carried myself in a way that anyone would ever see me as a slut. I could be sexy without being slutty. But I also know that when I go out in little shorts and little skirts I will be attracting looks from dudes I might not want to attract. But it's my fault if I do. Dudes are going to LOOK if you are half naked. Sometimes I'd do it just for the attention...on purpose. I am almost 40 and I can count on 1 hand the times I have been approached inappropriately.

oldandbrown

oldandbrown

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 20, 2013 @ 8:50 PM

As a parent of a 32 year old male, a feminist and a nice man, I am offended when I hear statements made regarding what women wear or how much they drink affecting men's behavior. I raised a man to be respectful of all---not just the well dressed and sober.

Are some of these parents saying they raised animals who cannot control themselves when faced with young women dressed a certain way? What a message to give your sons.

scruffy73

scruffy73

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2013 @ 9:17 PM

Are some of these parents saying they raised animals who cannot control themselves when faced with young women dressed a certain way? What a message to give your sons.

We do spend a lot of time talking to the girls, don't we? Not so much to the boys. We teach (or try to) girls how to protect themselves - how not to dress, how not to behave, how not to speak - so that boys/men are not tempted to act inappropriately toward/with them while ignoring the lesson on how to treat and respect women/girls for our boys. I hate "boys will be boys", especially because it is only trotted out when boys misbehave.

JoeMack

JoeMack

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 12:19 PM

I felt real bad for the first mom on todays show. her daughter was spinning out of control and she did do something. Just because it wasn't some place that Phil picked out, doesn't mean it didn't do her some good. Does this girl think that jail would have been better? Jail is filled with people who abuse you and dehumanize you.
Phil did get up on his high horse when he said it was wrong to send her out of the country. As if America was the only place this could be done right.

Hag23

Hag23

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 4:11 PM

That's one thing that bugs me about Phil. He can't be dumb or naive enough to think that things like that don't happen in the US.

Broderbits

Broderbits

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 5:40 PM

The first mother on today's show failed to realize that her only reason for being there was as a punching bag for her "wronged" daughter, who got to show the whole world what a victim she is and so deserving of the audience's sympathy. If that mother had been as dutifully contrite as the second woman, Phil wouldn't have gone so ballistic on her. You have to know how to play the game. Why would anyone in her position agree to appear on this kind of rigged platform?

designing1

designing1

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 6:25 PM

That's one thing that bugs me about Phil. He can't be dumb or naive enough to think that things like that don't happen in the US.

While I find him dumb and naive as frequently as not, I don't think that's what he meant. He did point out that the US has laws against that kind of mistreatment (where other countries may not), hopefully at least some oversight, and definitely legal recourse. The far more important point that he made was that your kids should be in a place you can easily, frequently, and unexpectedly visit. That part should be a no-brainer for parents (or for anyone sending a vulnerable family member for any kind of care or treatment), but apparently not.

JoeMack

JoeMack

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 8:07 PM

The girl isn't on drugs anymore so something good must have come from it. Maybe she learned that if she stayed on the same path she was on, then life in jail would be similar to life in that boot camp. You never really did hear about what type of abuse took place there, other than them being "controlled" and held down. If that was the only abuse, then its a non-story. I've heard Phil bitch at some of his people who have gone to the "boot camps" he supports. He's a hypocrit some of the time but I still love him.

Donovan64

Donovan64

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 6:46 PM

My news cut off the end of Dr. Phil today. I'm assuming 'Jen' didn't meet up with Craig - can anyone tell me what happened?

ObscuredbyClouds

ObscuredbyClouds

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 7:19 PM

"Jen" called one of Phil's producers directly and said she didn't want to meet up after all. The show said they would keep us posted on any new updates.

JoeMack

JoeMack

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 8:50 PM

I kind of feel that the two stories today weren't really connected.The first one was obviously a scam but the second one I got the feeling that the girl Jen was actually as big as a house or totally not looking like the picture she sent the guy. There was something wrong with that girl. She also was hating on the mom, who she never met before, only to start a fight and then have an excuse to break it off.
II was kind of hoping Phil would trace the call or do something like that. No chance of that though.

Edited by JoeMack, Jan 24, 2013 @ 8:52 PM.

scruffy73

scruffy73

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 9:20 PM

"Jen" is full of it. She's blaming his MOTHER? Get the fuck out of here! She let that dude drive 3 hours to meet her and then pulled the plug. Her fault not his mother. They've made plans many times and she pulled the plug all those times. Her fault not his mother. Whatever, man. All the "once I'm up to it" sounds so phony to me. Maybe because I watch "Catfish: The TV Show", I am sick of these people with these "I can't meet you yet" stories. The fact that they got "FaceBook engaged" made me believe the man Craig (?) is a either nut and not as invested as he says he is. I'm really betting it is the latter. He sounded a little to "sane" when discussing how it is a possibility she is scamming him after he heard the first lady's story and Dr. Phil's list.

JoeMack

JoeMack

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 10:53 PM

What got me was that neither one of those people on todays show were ugly on the outside. The guy, although no Brad Pitt, wasn't chopped liver either. And the lady looked good for her age. I think both of them set their sights too high and was trying to date outside of their paygrade. I bet that guy from Nigeria was laughing his ass off as he typed that bullshit to her.

suzeecat

suzeecat

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 8:47 AM

I found it extremely frustrating to be left hanging at the end of the "catfish" show - I really want to know who this "Jen" person really is. I guess I watch "Catfish" the show so much I am spoiled by getting some conclusion or closure to every story, with actual follow-up reports. They kept referring to her as the guy's "former" fiance. It appears that the guy had already realized Jen was a hoax and in his mind he was finished and just wanted her to admit the truth.

oldandbrown

oldandbrown

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 10:01 AM

I kind of feel that the two stories today weren't really connected.The first one was obviously a scam but the second one I got the feeling that the girl Jen was actually as big as a house or totally not looking like the picture she sent the guy.

I thought they were both exactly the same. Just the details were different. The bottom line: MONEY.

MedicineCrow

MedicineCrow

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 11:15 AM

I thought the lady (Dawn ??) was a total dipstick. Everything was there for her to see, poor English, etc., but she kept sending money. I have no sympathy for someone who gets so sucked in when all the signs are pointing to a scam. Even though her looks were "unfortunate" she believed that handsome dude would be attracted to her. NOT!!

JoeMack

JoeMack

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 2:46 PM

The first lady wasn't "UGLY" per se, just weathered. The part that creeped me out was the phone sex part, and Phils answer to that. I had wished they would have panned over to Robins face.

Tony Gancarski

Tony Gancarski

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 5:03 PM

Today's show was absolutely Hitchcockian.

JoeMack

JoeMack

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 5:53 PM

Talk about in-laws from hell. The FIL hopefully will die in jail. Some serious bad genes in that family.

CaughtOnTape

CaughtOnTape

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 10:56 PM

Ok, this lady that got scammed is a tool. After the first damn email Phil read to her you could tell it was a total scam. Her only excuse was "after hearing you read them...."? WHAT?!!!
I have a room that I rent out and I routinely get scammers sending me emails and they are easily picked out.

She deserved to be scammed after hearing most of this. Seriously lady? Grow a brain. Jesus.

Edited by CaughtOnTape, Jan 25, 2013 @ 10:57 PM.

McGee43

McGee43

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 26, 2013 @ 12:52 PM

Looks like we've got this to look forward to:

Dr. Phil to interview Manti Te'o Hoaxer

Of course Phil would get it. Wonder what levels of hype we'll be subjected to before it airs.

MedicineCrow

MedicineCrow

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2013 @ 12:56 PM

Looks like we've got this to look forward to: Dr. Phil to interview Manti Te'o Hoaxer

OMG, I'm so SICK of this crap on every show, on every channel. For GAWD's sake, give it a rest!!! The kid is an idiot & everyone is playing right into his hand(s). Jeesh!!!

JoeMack

JoeMack

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 26, 2013 @ 7:05 PM

The footballer girlfriend hoax was just an effort by him to boost his chances at winning the Heisman trophy. The guy is now looking like a knucklehead and seriously pathetic. Is he really serious? He was a star football player and most likely had several opportunities to date in school.