Dr. Phil

• Please log in to reply

14267 replies to this topic

percolata

percolata

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 3:08 PM

Aw heck. Phil had his nice ol' regular family members on today and they like him so much, they made me start liking him again and spoiled my hate train ride!

That's okay, though, I still have Robin!

jw7579

jw7579

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 6:21 PM

What did he say to the siblings (on Tuesday's show) that said that they were unlucky in love because their grandmother died without getting married and they thought that this was a curse? Did he say that they were full of shit?

royvac

royvac

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 6:59 PM

Watching Dr Phil today was like watching a weight loss infomercial. Actually they've all become infomercials. He needs to flash a phone number on the screen so we can buy his shit.

cynicat x

cynicat x

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 7:44 PM

He needs to flash a phone number on the screen so we can buy his shit.

Don't give him any ideas. He might try and sell his actual shit, especially since he thinks it don't stink, and it's about the only thing he has not marketed.

Tosia

Tosia

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 11:46 AM

Blech! on Dr. Phil's family! Another ruse to profit/pimp his family. It was so frickin' depressing! Crying, boohoo, I can't stop smoking. I can't exercise. Whine Whine Whine. I'm sorry. I don't care. I have enough of my own problems to give a fuck about some super-rich guy's relatives.

I couldn't take it and I turned to watch Ellen. Light, refreshing, funny Ellen.

A world of difference there. Maybe I just needed the laughs, than the draggy, crap-infested, self-important, ass kissing for Dr. Phil.

I count on this snark to tell me what I missed. And think about it: What constructive advice did he give them?

And how many times did he or they refer to his books? i.e., promote him: Lord God King Uncle Dr. Phil?

I really believe he is going to crash and burn with some big scandal in the next few years.

Oh, and Shut Up Robin!

masked_spangler

masked_spangler

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 1:36 PM

The one thing you did miss yesterday was Robin wearing the skirt that matched those fugly shoes she had...

crazy_girl

crazy_girl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 2:19 PM

I really believe he is going to crash and burn with some big scandal in the next few years.

Word. I loved him once a week on Oprah and I liked his show initially but now that he just sells his books, diet plans, diet books, blah blah blah, I have no patience for me. It seems the fame got to his head rather quickly.

I am waiting for the day for him to snub Oprah in some way and watch the war begin.

MetropolisGal

MetropolisGal

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 3:54 PM

Oh Lord. EARN your way out of a marriage, Dr. Phil?

Try to work things out with a guy who's cheated on you TWICE?

PLEASE. There ain't shit to work out with a guy who can't keep his pants zipped up.

percolata

percolata

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 3:55 PM

Ooooo crazy Girl, he's a lot of things but he's not stupid. Surely nobody in TV is dumb enough to mess with Oprah.

Today was one of those viewers questions things. In-furiating. Some woman confronted him on my pet peeve about the FUFamily - she wanted to know why Phil hadn't encouraged them to bring the young father into the situation. Phil went right into showing edited clips of himself saying that the father was important and leaving out all the tape we saw of everyone sneering at the boy's mother. Then Phil excused Alexandra for saying snide things about the boy by saying how young she was while in the next breath he's saying that the boy can see Nathan when he's proved how mature and together he is. Isn't he allowed to be a teenager, too?

Finally Phil said he hasn't seen a single instance of the boy or his family being denied any reasonable request about Nathan. Hello! We ALL saw Alex and Erin tell him over the phone, that he couldn't come over to see Nathan, when they had no reason to deny him at all.

El DeMarge

El DeMarge

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 4:24 PM

The one thing you did miss yesterday was Robin wearing the skirt that matched those fugly shoes she had...

I saw that skirt. Horrifying.

erinsgrandma

erinsgrandma

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 5:14 PM

Today they again showed the tiny tot who was with Marty in the hospital when Alexandra gave birth. Does anyone know who she is? I'm curious as to why this child is ignored. Strange that they allow her to be seen on tv but give no clue as to her part in this stupid family.

Percolata - totally agree with every thing you wrote!

Princess Tanella

Princess Tanella

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 5:48 PM

What I hate is how they're always alluding to how much progress the Fucked Up Familty has made, and then immediately, in the Scenes From Next Week Clip, they show everyone being totally totally horrific to each other. Dr. Phil knows that this is a train wreck, and counts on people tuning in because it is a train wreck. If there is progress being made, it's not being shown to us because they obviously think that the fighting is more of a ratings grabber. In my view, Dr. Phil was great on Oprah not because it is exciting television to watch two people sit facing each other and talk things out, but because it was interesting and compelling television to see real change happen. I can't stand the way he operates now.

Finally Phil said he hasn't seen a single instance of the boy or his family being denied any reasonable request about Nathan. Hello! We ALL saw Alex and Erin tell him over the phone, that he couldn't come over to see Nathan, when they had no reason to deny him at all.

This? This bothered me most of all.

bubsy

bubsy

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 7:27 PM

Today they again showed the tiny tot who was with Marty in the hospital when Alexandra gave birth.

I remember reading on dr.phil.com (until I gave up on there) that the little girl was the daughter of one of Alex's friends.

Which made me wonder, did she want to get pregnant- I've known some teenage girls who decide to have a baby because their friend(s) have. I have nothing to back that up, just wondering.

caprijam

caprijam

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 7:47 PM

I think todays show was so insanely wasteful...I mean, the family was not even there! on the show! they were at home, answering tapes, phoning in! And the father. was. insane. I am sorry, I have never really liked him, at all, and agree with everything those women said. He never seems to participate in the 'homework' and constantly lies. And he just freaked out, screaming and yelling etc. (Also, to my amusement, called teen magazines 'smut' magazines).
And I found this especially bizarre because Dr.P did not ask him to calm down, or actually listen to the womans point and answer the question. It was as if, *gasp* he liked the conflict! The insanity! I'm sorry, have I acidentally switched the channel...is this Maury? This show is now not only a Dr. Phil sellathon, but now a ratings whore. I dont know.

Hexele

Hexele

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 8:13 PM

Try to work things out with a guy who's cheated on you TWICE?

Honey, if I were married to that shrew, I'd be looking elsewhere too. That's not to say I wouldn't kick that slack ass man to the curb in a hot second, but being married to her is no prize. Which begs the question, wouldn't it be just plain More Polite to drop this sham of a marriage?

I may step on some toes here, but I hate the fact that they've made this teen mother a star. Where are they going to be in four years? How can Nathan thrive when his family has nothing but disdain for his father and for each other?

Regarding the Dr. Phil website postings -- I'm afraid to go over there -- is it a luv fest for DP?

Sigh....I've found I get a lot more enjoyment from an early evening walk than watching this vile show any more.

royvac

royvac

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 8:55 PM

Word Caprijam This has ceased to be a show about helping people with issues. Todays show was about exploitation and ratings. What kind of therapist lets total strangers tell this family what they think of them. I don't blame them for being pissed and defensive. Sure the strangers were mostly right but that's up to Dr Phil to address with them.

ultimategirl

ultimategirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 12:33 AM

What pisses me off most about this family (and I admit, I haven't seen nearly all of the episodes they've been on) is that Katherine (sp?) is the only one I EVER see taking responsibility for her actions. I'm not saying she's blameless - she certainly has anger management issues and exaggerates how much she is the victim of the whole situation - but I remember the episode when they were supposed to read the book Dr. Phil Jr. wrote and she didn't do it. She seemed to readily admit her part in the problems with her relationships with her parents, while neither of them could really seem to acknowledge theirs. She also basically admitted she was testing them to see if they would really come through. Which they didn't. And man, what kind of a father TELLS his daughter that her sister is his favorite. I know she's partly to blame, and she would probably piss me off if I were around her more, but man I feel bad for her.

Amberosia

Amberosia

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 4:23 PM

Hey, The FUFamily is still around? I can never seem to catch them, I thought they were done. Dr. Phil lulled me to sleep this morning with the poor me extreme makeover twin. You fixed yor nose honey. Move on. An shut up.

jw7579

jw7579

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 5:36 PM

And man, what kind of a father TELLS his daughter that her sister is his favorite.

A terrible father, of course

What I can never understand about those situations where a parent favors one child over the other and is not shy about saying so is: if you hate your other child so much, why don't you give him/her up for adoption or send him/her away? Why keep a child that you don't care for?

Tosia

Tosia

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 7:05 PM

Agree with all above who thought the FUF family talk back was a friggin waste of television time. It just proved how little DP has helped them. They haven't learned a damn thing.

Every family member attacked the person who questioned them, rather than answer the question. And DP allowed it and defended them.

It's a sick world when a psychologist lets patients get away with their crap. And a sorry world when he does it on TV for big bucks.

DP said at the end that he is so proud of them for airing their dirty drawers on tv and "inspiring others with their candor." WTF? Yeah right. More like "lining my pockets with their dysfunction." There is nothing inspiring about the shit this family of monkeys is flinging at each other each episode --right on cynikat about DP selling his shit--he already is and the packaging just looks like therapeutic tv. It's Maury and Jerry covered with the sweet smell of pseudo-legitimacy.

Oprah has to be regretting the monster she created.

Did you-all notice how DP "led" the witnesses by asking questions, locking eyes with the FUF family, and practically nodding his head t prompt them on the PC answers? Watch this phenomena next time. Very deer in the headlights when he is talking to them. "Leading the witless." They don't have the smarts to think for themselves and keep doing the same shit over and over. They agree with him on air and then go on and do whatever old crap they have been doing all along. And Hell, Yes, they lied about letting the father see Nathan! Even DP! How disgusting. Liars, liars, pants on fire.

And yes, last questioner on DP tv--why haven't we seen more of the progress or constructive advice on these shows? Just he same mean spirited yelling and lying. DP is editing these shows to what end? A miracle? When are we going to see progress? I don't see where he is going. To make us so disgusted that we stop watching? That's where I'm going.

Oh, and the message boards for DP? I look at them every now and then. Very religious and conservative--many of whom voice sugary optimistic message of love for the family and "just know" they all love each other very much and that Alex will "make it" as a new mom! And they promise prayers for them too. Very much in favor of Alex keeping the baby--no practical reasons or support. Although many sent baby gifts to her. Really.

jw7579

jw7579

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 7:34 PM

Very religious and conservative--many of whom voice sugary optimistic message of love for the family and "just know" they all love each other very much and that Alex will "make it" as a new mom! And they promise prayers for them too. Very much in favor of Alex keeping the baby--no practical reasons or support. Although many sent baby gifts to her. Really.

Poor, naive, deluded people. *tsk*

And sending baby gifts to someone you don't even know? So sad.

SnowDog

SnowDog

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 8:05 PM

I just saw a tape of the Thursday FUF show. I got sick of Marty saying his accusers all had issues. Yes, Marty, everyone else has "issues." They're not hard on you because you're a jackass. Nope.

And now I just saw my tape of the Friday show. The first woman has serious Muppet face going on. Stay away from the knife!

Edited by SnowDog, Jan 9, 2004 @ 11:47 PM.

borokat

borokat

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 8:28 PM

Oh, I cannot deal with the DP web boards. It makes me appreciate the powers that be over here running a tight ship. Anytime anyone expresses the opinion that Alex should have kept her baby, 10 people post an attack that poster. And they get downright NASTY too.

Also, the board will delete any anti-DP sentiments, which is why you cannot find any of the objections that we have over there. Everyone loves DP and Robyn apparently (LIES).

The FUF family makes me sick. I cannot even watch them anymore. I do believe that I hate Marty.

Edited by borokat, Jan 10, 2004 @ 6:38 PM.

masked_spangler

masked_spangler

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 5:46 PM

Hi everyone. *claps hands with glee* Oh where do I start, where do I start? See, I was at the bookstore today and noticed that somone has published an unauthorized biography or Dr. Phil! I did a fast skim read and while the book was not extremely detailed (the chpater on Dr. Phil's children was about 4 pages and basically consisted of "he has children and he loves them and isn't that nice" followed by several remarks about Robin being the one really in charge of that) there was some dirt! Most of it about Robin. Hee.

1) On meeting him (she is apparently a friend of one of his sisters) she did not like him, and indeed most of her family still does not. But she told him shortly after their first date that she loved him because there was so much about him that she could change.

2) He had a vasectomy after Jay was born, then one day he overheard Robin telling someone she wanted another kid, so he had a reversal without telling her, bought her a baby gift and went home still "limping" and with the baby gift under his arm to tell her what he had done.

3) He feels like he did not really understand his marriage until her parents died (this was actually a sad story). Her mom keeled over and her father called Phil. He went over and did CPR on the mom but it was too late, and Phil then had to drive hom and break the news to Robin. Her father died a month later (I forget how) and when she collapsed sobbing in his arms that she felt like an orphan he looked into her eyes and swore he would never leave her and said "From now on, it's just you and me, kid." Oh, and she has a twin brother.

4) He describes her makeup and grooming routine as "insane" and said it takes several hours. The author described Phil relating once that he will lie in bed still sort of sleeping and look over periodically at the bathroom and see "strange fumes and gasses" and he will not go in because it is like something from the twilight zone in there.

5) The crew all hated Robin and felt her presence in the studio every day was "wifely interference." It only took a month for her to get herself on air even though she claims to hate being in front of the camera. She also makes Phil nervous and although she does not speak during the 'rehearsals; she will covey with body language when she disapproves and he will backtrack and change his mind.

That's all I remember off-hand. But I came right how and typed it up because I knew you guys would want the dirt :-)

Edited by masked_spangler, Jan 10, 2004 @ 9:06 PM.

katymo

katymo

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 7:42 PM

Hee! I love the dish on Robin, thanks for the info! I'd heard the make up routine snark once before and its even funnier in text. Can you imagine what that woman looks like straight out of bed? Eek! Funny about the vasectomy!

I saw the Dr. Phil E! True Hollywood Story today for the first time and he came off pretty badly in it, IMO. Not that I wasn't sure he had a massive ego before, but listening to the ex-wife speak I was cringing. Made him sound like the big ole fame whore he's turned out to be. I did like that he told Oprah to get her ass in gear cause he wasn't the one getting sued. Anyone that can put Oprah in her place automatically earns a special place in my TV schedule.

percolata

percolata

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 7:21 PM

Thanks a bunch, Masked_Spangler! ( I have less and less need to leave the house.)

Robin's two hours in the bathroom ties in with some strange stuff she was saying on a show recently about her boys understanding that she had to have her special "girl time" every day. Hey I've always been a "girl" in a household of men and I never actually felt that I needed a special block of time for it. This also explains why her biggest gripe about Phil is that he doesn't compliment her appearance enough. I guess if you've devoted your entire day to it you expect a certain amount of slobber and drool. Remember, she also works out everyday, shops a lot for those matching shoes and skirts, botox appointments, nails, etc. Girlfriend's going to have a mighty hard time dealing with old age.

lls59

lls59

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 3:41 AM

Don't forget that Robin has gone through menopause "better than anyone" DrP has ever seen - she did all that research. When the author of "Before the Change" was on Robin was up there bobbing her head and CORRECTING the expert. Because of course Robin's way is the only way.

Pink Mayuri

Pink Mayuri

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 12:08 AM

How in the hell has Jim lost so much weight? Good God!

And Terri's hair is still poo.

katymo

katymo

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 1:45 AM

Jim's starting to look kind of hot! His wife better turn her attitude around now. After this episode I'm really seeing the infomercial-likeness you all have been talking about. They were just pumping this thing up weren't they? But I kind of like that they each get to help a friend. Ahh, here's to the next generation of famewhores.

Tosia

Tosia

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 1:02 PM

Infomercial is exactly right!

I stopped watching the weight loss infomercial yesterday about halfway through--and that was after I fast forwarded through the first part.

All ass-kissing Dr. Phil, all the time. Recap the same old story and then a bit of new ass-kissing. The new people are just to refresh this tired story; and get more spokeswhores for DP.

How much do you wanna bet that we will soon be seeing DP Vitamins?
And "Robin's Menopausal Wonder Pills"!
And "Jay's Cool Teen Vitamins"!

How can people whore themselves without conscience? DP, don't you have enough money? What is it you're humping so hard for? You got fame, you got money. Why you resorting to total ego gratification, i.e., fame whoring and selling your soul on tv? What are you substituting this crap you call a show for in your life? How's it working for you? Let's have a show about that.

I don't get it. As I get older in my life, I'm trying to simplify my needs and wants and lifestyle. Who needs leopard shoes? I want calm, peace, time to enjoy the day light. I just don''t get the drive to run something into the ground.