Dr. Phil

• Please log in to reply

14270 replies to this topic

masked_spangler

masked_spangler

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 1:54 PM

Don't shoot the messenger or anything, but...

All you haters of Dr. Phil's relations better brace yourselves. Tomorrow is "Ask Dr Phil and Robin" day in which viewers who have questions for Robin will ask them, and learn such vital things as "what Dr. Phil is like at home" and "What Dr. Phil does to land himself in the dog house." Gag. But I will probably watch.

And the following day, on Ultimate Weight Loss Challenge Thingie day, Dr. Phil will apparently be recruiting some as yet unseen family members to join, including an aunt or something, and a nephew of his who weights 450 pounds. Because apparently the clamouring fans have not had enough or Dr. Phil's relatives between Robin and Jay, and now they want to see his cousins too. Or something.

Do you all hate me that I am kind of excited and will totally watch?

hkk02

hkk02

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 3:27 PM

I saw on ET a few weeks ago that his sisters have joined the Weight Loss Challenge. It is probably them. Strange that it took their brother endorsing a diet to finally try to lose weight. Although I'm sure we'll hear all about the many failed attempts and how this is the only possible program that could help anyone even think about losing weight.

Yeah, I'm getting sick of Dr. Phil, too.

Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 4:09 PM

All the Dr. Phil supplements and stuff are on sale this week at Rite Aid. There's also a $5 rebate on some of it all month. I was giggling when I was putting out the tags at work.

SnowDog

SnowDog

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 8:15 PM

While watching today's ep that included clips from last year, something finally dawned on me -- Dr. Phil has gained noticable weight since last year. Doc not following his own program, eh?

Also, I almost vomited during the gum-chewer's segment. Sticking gum onto counters and stoves and THEN putting it back into his mouth??? Gah!

Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 9:11 PM

Ugh, I know! I couldn't even watch that segment!

I was sort of amused that the show started with one of Dr. Phil's great successes...who subsequently failed.

El DeMarge

El DeMarge

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 11:01 AM

You guys, I know I'm sick, but I thought the gum-chewer was cute. I mean, the whole nasty habit thing was very gross but the guy was cute.

I need to leave the house, I think.

percolata

percolata

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 12:26 PM

"What Dr. Phil does to land himself in the dog house."

Should we have been surprised that the answer was, "Didn't tell Robin she looked great everyday"?

My New Year's reso was to give up sugar but now that I've found out Robin gave it up five years ago, I just want to go out and buy a box of doughnuts. Maybe it's not her fault, maybe it's the result of plastic surgery gone bad, but her frozen face of disdain just makes me sick - the lips that won't close without pursing, the snooty high eye brows - get back in the audience, Robin!

El DeMarge

El DeMarge

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 12:49 PM

Has Cherri Oteri ever parodied her on SNL? If not, what a wasted opportunity...

katymo

katymo

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 1:27 PM

Ugh, when I saw the commercial yesterday for the "Ask Dr. Phil...and Robin" show I gagged, then laughed cause I thought of all of you and the hate she gets. Seriously, what the hell do we need to talk to Robin for? I don't hate her, I just think she's annoying, looks like the ice queen, and doesn't belong on my TV since she's not the expert here. I guess I could change the channel, but I still love Dr. P and the show even if it is annoying sometimes. We'll see how this goes...

ETA: Yeah the gumchewer was really cute, the gum is gross, but so what? We all have our little things about us like that. I'd just be thankful he'd stopped smoking and leave it at that.

Edited by katymo, Jan 6, 2004 @ 1:28 PM.

royvac

royvac

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 1:53 PM

Dr Phil sure seemed pissed when the gum chewers wife said she didn't mind him chewing gum. He looks at her with a glare and says "that's not what it says in my notes" Then he starts to badger her about changing her mind. So you changed your mind, so you changed your mind, so you changed your mind. He evens makes a point to shout out to the producer "I guess she changed her mind" Sheesh, get over it.
The gum chewing wouldn't bother me either, it's better than smoking. But leaving it all over the house and on the kids stuff is totally gross and something he can control if he really wanted to.

Hexele

Hexele

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 4:04 PM

Do you all hate me that I am kind of excited and will totally watch?

Two responses: Nah, I have friends that watch Nascar for the wrecks, too.
or, more honestly: Hey, we're watching too, masked_spangler!

I'm trying to cut down my DP watching, though -- the reruns over the holidays helped.

El DeMarge

El DeMarge

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 4:23 PM

I notice that Robin can't really smile--she just opens her mouth and shows a lot of teeth. Is that from plastic surgery? If so, that's enough to make me never get any.
And I also noticed that today she was wearing cheetah-print pumps with gold, mirrored heels. It's like she desperately needs you to notice her shoes. Glad she's keeping some terrible designer in business.

caprijam

caprijam

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 5:21 PM

I am right now watching the Ask Dr. Phil And Perma-startled-Wifey episode...and, they are repeating episode ideas! They have a couple on where the man loves his dog and the woman hates the attention the dog recieves; this is exactly the same thing they did a few months back, when the man was in love with his cats. Dr. Phil, guilty of the rehash...so soon!

bubsy

bubsy

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 6:28 PM

And I also noticed that today she was wearing cheetah-print pumps with gold, mirrored heels. It's like she desperately needs you to notice her shoes. Glad she's keeping some terrible designer in business.

And they just mentioned those awful shoes.

And these women who are jealous of pets- weird. I treat my dog very similar to how frenchy-man treats Lola, my husband doesn't have a problem with it.

Hexele

Hexele

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 6:45 PM

And these women who are jealous of pets- weird. I treat my dog very similar to how frenchy-man treats Lola, my husband doesn't have a problem with it.

Why oh why do non-animal people marry animal people and then get jealous of the animal?? I treat my dog easily as well as that guy treats Lola. Yeah, I know it would bug some people, and I wouldn't be dating them!

Note on the shoes: "Cute shoes!" is the Southern Gals' standard greeting -- and yes, I've said it, even to strangers, so I'll have to give ol' Rah-rah-rah-bin a pass on that one.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 7:41 PM

Remember the show a few weeks ago where Robin spoke in excruciating detail about all of the alternative remedies she took to help her through menopause, how she coped with hot flashes, etc.? At first I thought it was a case of TMI (too much information) about Robin, but it just occurred to me, you know what would make a GREAT show? "Robin Answers Your Questions About Plastic Surgery and Botox"! As in the "hormones" show, Robin could sit in a little intimate group of women...all with wrinkles, too-prominent noses/chins/thighs, etc. She could talk about how plastic surgery helped her retain that youthful look. I'm completely serious -- if they want us to know EVERYTHING about DP and his family, why the heck not have Robin tell us exactly what she's had done? Her cosmetic surgeon can appear on the show, too!

(To my untrained eye, I'm not positive she's actually gone under the knife, but I am 99.9% sure that she is regularly Botoxed. The lineless, inexpressive eyebrows/forehead are a dead giveaway.)

thebigchill

thebigchill

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 7:46 PM

I didn't get what was wrong with the dog guy, either. I missed a few minutes of that segment...was the guy totally ignoring her, taking the dog out on the town 24/7 while she sits at home knitting, or was she just a shrew? Wouldn't she have noticed this "character flaw" while they were dating?

Robin's My Perfect Family Doesn't Have That Problem "advice" to the woman with all the boys in her house was really annoying. The part about not coming into the kitchen bare-chested...uh, thanks, Robin: Phil without a shirt on? Bring on the eye bleach!

El DeMarge

El DeMarge

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 8:36 PM

So Robin doesn't eat sugar and that's why she stays thin. Mmmkay, I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that she's rich and probably has a personal trainer, some exclusive gym membership and probably her own shiny home gym. And time. If she has enough time to buy those fugly shoes, she has some workout time. She just wants to give hope to us poor schmos at home by telling us to not eat sugar. I think I hate her.
Seriously, whoever said that they want to consume a pack of donuts after listening to her, I'm with you.

royvac

royvac

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 8:38 PM

The only problem I had with the dog guy is that when he comes home he greets his dog before his son. It would be different if the dog met him at the door and greeted him, like I thought most dogs did when master walks in the door, but it didn't come across like that.

The woman who's Dad phoned her to take out the garbage and painted her car was bizarre. I understand that they're close but that's too much. I kept wondering where her husband was and what he thought about it.

JTara

JTara

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 11:47 PM

Royvac, I totally agree. What the fuck was up his butt when he was basically acusing the gum chewer's wife of lying about her not minding him chewing? She probably mentioned to the producers that his gum chewing is annoying but she perfers that to smoking. Then she tells DP that and he blows up on her. I have really come to hate Dr (If that is your real name) Phil. Does he really have a doctorate? I hate him. Oh and what the fuck was that shit about him saying how the limo driver was telling his guests that DP was stupid. I hate how he thinks he is smarter and better than everyone. My biggest problem with him is when one of his guests will say something funny and the audience laughs and then DP has to try and top it, but all he does is slam the person who said the joke and it's not all that funny anyways. Or he will completly ignore the joke and move along quickly. Why can't he just laugh? It just goes to show you that he is way way insecure. Did I mention that I hate him? Oh and Robin? DON'T GET ME STARTED!

Edited by JTara, Jan 7, 2004 @ 12:39 AM.

thebigchill

thebigchill

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 12:16 AM

Oh and Robin? DON'T GET ME STARTED!

Hee! Words can't even begin to describe how useless she is.

Not only does she annoy me with her irritating "advice," her permanently surprised/emotionally dead android eyes cause me severe pain. You know when dogs howl instinctively at a siren, almost like they can't help themselves or are in pain? That's what happens when I see Robin's grating face.

borokat

borokat

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 12:57 AM

Well, to DP's defense, he usually is smarter than the guests! But that is because most of his guests are about as bright as my house slippers. I mean the guy that sticks gum all over the house. That is just moronic and rude. And I think that DP ignores their jokes because they are usually using humor as an excuse for why they are acting like complete jackasses.

These are not people with real problems. Those would be people that are caring for a loved one with a terminal disease, or a mentally handicapped child. Or someone who has lost a loved one, their house burned down, etc. These are people that are too emotionally immature or plain bankrupt when it comes to common sense. I very rarely feel compassion for any of them, and I believe that is what DP is manipulating us into feeling- contempt. So when he comes in and smacks them down, we go "Yay!".

Now about the guy with the dog. Yeah, she should have known what she was getting into, but he should show equal attention to his wife and child. I bet she would shut up if he paid her some attention. But you see, you get unconditional love from your pet, and I would rather have my dog give me a big sloppy kiss than be nagged at again (as I suspect she does constantly).

yard_stick

yard_stick

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 9:19 AM

A big WORD to JTara and to thebigchill for both of your posts!!!

I love it when Dr. Phil gets all "defensive" whenever something doesn't follow his "scripted" plan of how a guest is going to react or respond -- such as the gum chewer's wife! He's gotta have someone to blame so HE (the great Dr. Phil) won't come off looking totally stupid. Bet that producer caught HELL after that show was over.

And Robin -- I have to agree with thebigchill's post about that........I shouldn't even begin to get started on Robin's self-righteous, smug ASS.

scarletine

scarletine

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 9:24 AM

I'm just waiting for one of the guests to get stuck in a segment with Robin and comment, "Hello? I thought I was here to see the person with some credentials to help me? The guy with the Dr. in front of his name? Hello?"

percolata

percolata

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 9:44 AM

Word to all the Dr Phil snark. My disdain has been so wrapped up in Robin and her fish mouth substitute for a smile that I could barely think about Phil. Yeah, he thinks he's the smartest person ever. I noticed, when he had some parents on who wanted their child to go to a private school he was quick to tell them that he had gone through the public school system and just look at him. I've seen him hold himself up as the ultimate example of success several times. Ugh.
But not as ugh-ly as Robin's bulging brow ridge of botox!
sorry I can't stop...

Hexele

Hexele

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 11:28 AM

But you see, you get unconditional love from your pet, and I would rather have my dog give me a big sloppy kiss than be nagged at again (as I suspect she does constantly).

Oh yeah. The things she bitched about seemed to point to an insecure nagging wife. Question is, is she insecure because he makes sure she stays insecure, or would she be insecure any-damn-way and find something else to bitch about if he fixed this particular problem? (Ooh, sounds like the FUF's Erin to me!) Mr. Hexele isn't threatened by my adoration of my [absolutely perfect] dog because he knows I love him to distraction as well.

Same question when it comes to the wife with husband/cat combo. Does her daughter really have an allergy to the cats that affects her asthma, or is this the wife's constant trump card? I only ask this since I have a sister-in-law that, when she doesn't want to do something, swears that her child is allergic to whatever it is. The child is perfectly healthy, but is turning into a hypochondriac just like Mommy. And trust me, this chick can get creative in getting her way with this trick!

he was quick to tell them that he had gone through the public school system

I'm taking bets his children went to private school.

tigerlion

tigerlion

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 12:42 PM

All the Robin snark... yay! It cracks me up. Her camera-whoring has become so over the top, yet didn't she used to act "shy" when he was on Oprah? I seem to remember a few times where they'd show her on-camera, just sitting in the audience (surprise), and she'd start to become flustered...

I stopped watching this crap, or even caring what would be on months ago (it's shown here twice a day, too - lucky me), but y'all keep me in the loop so I can continue to indulge my absolute contempt for the brand that is DP & Family. Thanks to all of you for bringing the snark.

Maybelline

Maybelline

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 2:09 PM

I got about two minutes into yesterday's show before I had to start fast-forwarding. The part that disgusted me: when Robin and Phil shared the funny (not) anecdote about forgetting the luggage. She turns to him and blames him for the fact that her luggage didn't arrive, and his response? "What do I look like, a bellman?" And she retorts, "What do I look like, a bellman?"

Was this really supposed to be endearing and charming? 'Cause they came across as a couple of pompous assholes. Shut up, Dr. and Mrs. Richie Rich.

The show was a reminder that, no matter how successful you are, (or, ahem, your fame-whoring husband is) you just can't buy taste. Those shoes were fugly.

bubsy

bubsy

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 2:14 PM

The thing that bothers me the most about Robin- she has some weird sort of Muppet/Puppet voice.

yard_stick

yard_stick

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 2:41 PM

Robin's voice -- AND taste in shoes -- both fugly -- WORD!!

ROFL @ "Muppet-Puppet" voice comment, Busby!!