Beverly Hills 90210

• Please log in to reply

30197 replies to this topic

Moxie Cat

Moxie Cat

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 29, 2013 @ 2:54 PM

Betty, you mean when does Brandon leave? It's around the sixth episode of season 9. The ep should air during the SoapNet weekend episodes a month or so from now--they're somewhere around the middle of season 8 right now (the infamous Val roofie-rape was on today). Although the weekday ones may catch up sooner. The ep is actually called "Brandon Leaves" (no suspense there!)--so you can't miss it. :-)

When Luke Perry was cast on 90210, I was so excited because I had already been watching him on Loving! I don't know if that was his first part, but it definitely gave him some pre-Niner experience over at least a few months of storylines. (Fun fact: his regular love interest was bigot Brooke!)

I believe Tori writes in her first book that her main pre-90210 experience was her recurring guest part on Saved by the Bell and some comedic skits in school talent shows. It does not seem that she ever had too much experience or training to do the dramatic stuff. I give her credit for trying, but it's not a skill set that's in her wheelhouse.

Runner123

Runner123

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 29, 2013 @ 7:03 PM

My least favourite Mark moment: when he brings those books to Kelly to "show her his two sides". Pretentious little dork. Also, Bukowski? You wish you could pull that off, pretty boy, but your haircut says otherwise!

No doubt! My eyes roll back so far in my head each time I see that scene, I fear I'll never get them back to the front of my face one of these days.

But still, I love those lines in "Jobbed" "Que sera sera to you too, bud." And Kelly's great final lines. I think they did one of those things where they too quickly turned him into uber-jerk for the sake of advancing storylines/getting him off the show, but he was always a little...ew. And whomever wrote those final lines for Kelly is to be commended. 

debbielove

debbielove

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 30, 2013 @ 7:36 AM

Did anyone notice when Donna takes the pain pills after the accident how the camera goes to a mirror that shows her taking the pills? They did that when Kelly first took cocaine and when Jackie was taking cocaine at the fashion show. Is this a troupe for our show?

Runner123

Runner123

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 2:59 PM

I always want to start smacking Tracy regularly at this point. You sort of guilted your boyfriend into telling you he loves you, and then you think somehow he's going to buy you an engagement ring? Wait...what??? Seriously??

Donna shoving her tongue forcibly down the throat of Stalker!Evan! just makes me cringe, and feel sort of sorry for Stalker!Evan! He gets arrested...Runner123: "Hasn't he been through enough?!?"

Edited by Runner123, Jul 1, 2013 @ 3:01 PM.

Moxie Cat

Moxie Cat

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 3:33 PM

Aw--as much as I'm not a Tracy fan, I always feel bad for her. I was always gung-ho for Brandon and Kelly to get back together at this point in the show, but I've come to sympathize more with Tracy over the years.

Tracy was just a person who was in WAY over her head with this gang. She was a completely normal, average girl who came from a (likely) normal, rural family. Tracy was not that ambitious. She wasn't incredibly beautiful (IMO). She wasn't apparently interested in a music, modeling, fashion, or showbiz career in LA. It's not a stretch to deduce that she's more conservative than the rest of the gang.

She was probably someone who would have been very happy to get her M.R.S. degree at college. (Where was Joe Bradley when you need him?!) And she fell hard for Brandon--who, honestly, does come off as a pretty normal, friendly, funny guy. (Brandon's worst/only issue through the show being the gambling.) In the S8 premiere, we see that Tracy did indeed get engaged--less than 6 months after the Brandon breakup--move to Hawaii, and transfer to another school for her senior year--credits be damned!

If that was her mindset and her background, it's not hard to see how a person like that mentally got from "I love you" and sex to a proposal. Plus, imagine you found an engagement ring in your boyfriend's drawer during his senior year of college. Is your first thought really "He already proposed to someone else?"

Unfortunately, Tracy is the clearest victim of the "he's just not that into you" phenomenon I've ever seen on this show. I think that's why she's hard to watch, especially in the second half of season 7--because many of us have been there, pining after someone who gives us JUST ENOUGH to encourage us! (And if you were never there, bless you!)

The only thing I find odd about Tracy is that she didn't have any other friends by her junior year of college. (I know, this is our show's M.O., but still!) Susan was into the paper, so I buy that she didn't socialize a lot. Joe had his football buddies, whom we saw a few times. (Who else was there? I'm blanking.) But Tracy was a friendly girl and must have done something with her time before the TV station came along!

Edited by Moxie Cat, Jul 2, 2013 @ 7:57 AM.

Runner123

Runner123

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 8:46 PM

Good points, Moxie Cat. And I have been there with a guy who was just not that into me, though I never wanted to get married anywhere near that age. Her neediness does make me squirm for her, but I still kinda want to smack her. Guilts Brandon into saying I love you. Guilts him into taking her to Hong Kong. And I HATE defending Brandon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe that's why I want to smack her, I feel the urge to defend him, lol. 

So as not to have to defend him any longer...I was rolling my eyes and laughing at him when he told FauxStalker, Rusty, "I think I've earned the right to be called Sir"

Really?  Really, you overblown jerkwad? Unwrinkle your eyebrows and get the hell over yourself. Sheesh. 

Ok, now the universe has righted itself, whew!

Petunia13

Petunia13

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 8:52 PM

The Donna stalker episodes are priceless. Am I a horrible person or laughing hysterically watching them? The acting is just SO bad and story so damn corny.

Runner123

Runner123

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 7:05 AM

No. MrRunner and I were talking about that the other day. You can't help but laugh, inappropriately. It's kind of like a one hour mini-version of the infamous Mother May I Sleep With Danger, starring our very own Tori Spelling. Lol. 

Marie Claudine

Marie Claudine

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 12:14 PM

Count me among those who find the stalker episodes hilarious. It's really hard not laugh out loud. I feel for stalker Evan when Donna cleans his tonsils. Way to cure the man of his infatuation, Donna!

Runner, I, too, feel for Brandon with Tracy around. Sure, he's leading her on and that's not nice, but she is so incredibly clingy. I mean, I've been there, holding on to a guy who didn't like me as much as I liked him, misreading all his signs as best I could, but Tracy is even more pathetic than I've ever been. Even if she thought he'd propose: she could have waited! Seriously, digging around in his sweaters, finding a ring, and happily announcing "Yes, I'll marry you" seconds later - even if Brandon had wanted to propose, that would have been slightly weird and needy.

I think the problem is that as soon as Brandon started dating Tracy, he had to be a jerk either way. If he broke up with her, he was the jerk who kicked the puppy, and if he didn't, he was the jerk who faked feelings he didn't have, and if he stayed with her without faking feelings much (which he did), he was a heartless jerk. That wasn't an easy one to dissolve gracefully (not that I think his way of going about it was the best option!).

Also, I find it hard to care too much about Tracy's feelings, given that she got engaged to someone new very quickly afterwards. If Dylan was a flake considering the speed with which he went from Kelly to Toni, so was Tracy! Tracy seemed to me to be the type of girl who at some point in life decides she is ready for a serious relationship because it's time rather than because it's this particular guy. These people usually find it rather easy to fall in love, but they also tend to move on more easily if option one turns out not to be the golden ticket after all. I mean, sure, she had a list of things that Brandon fit (successful, attractive, dependable, wholesome), but it seemed to me that if things had gone a bit differently, she could have fallen for Mark just as easily as she fell for Brandon. (His supposed inner Bukowski notwithstanding. Heh.)

Edited by Marie Claudine, Jul 2, 2013 @ 12:15 PM.

Petunia13

Petunia13

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 3:05 PM

I agree. She didn't have a connection with him as much as she thought he was a good match and cams long at the right time and was a nice guy. They didn't really spark or seem like a love match.

I t first felt sorry for her but she really was misreading signals. I've never really snooped in a guys belonging or pushed marriage/love before. Mr P had an and still has an engagement ring from his ex in a drawer. I have a ring/jewelryfrom mine.

Damn Tori looks rough these seasons. She's not ugly but some hairstyles and clothing do her no favors. Valerie on the other hand I think is very pretty.

Runner123

Runner123

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 3:23 PM

Jason Priestly, while hardly an actor with outstanding abilities usually did ok with his character, insofar as it went. We spend some time on here gently mocking Ian and Tori for their lack of dramatic chops (while both doing pretty well with comedic bits) But wow, it struck me yesterday that JP makes some weird choices in really dramatic moments. Best friend's wife drops dead out of the open door of her car, riddled with bullets. Best friend cries and screams out your name. You...stand around looking mildly perturbed. Or is that constipated?

One time rival-turned running-mate and friend dies in front of you in a fiery crash. You....Stand around looking mildly perturbed. Or is that constipated?

Your friend Donna is in peril from a stalker with a gun, holding you, her and the rest of the crew hostage. You seem...bored...on Novocaine, mildly perturbed. Or is that constipated?

Perhaps with the last, he was trying to act "unafraid"..."don't do anything to overly antagonize. But perhaps he was just trying hard not to laugh along with the rest of us. Either way, it just struck me as odd. Like he was bored and wanted badly to be napping. 

desertflower

desertflower

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 4:12 PM

I think JP might've been going for "shocked" in those instances. In Toni's death scene, I think it actually works somewhat, because Dylan's reaction was so emotional (as it should be) that if Brandon was back there doing the same thing it might've been too much and taken some of the focus from Dylan. So in that instance I appreciate the subtlety.

But even though I love both JP and Brandon, I do agree that he seems bored in a lot of scenes in the later seasons. I get the distinct impression he was over the whole thing by then. "Contractually obligated" might be the best way to describe it! 

Marie Claudine

Marie Claudine

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 4:39 PM

You guys crack me up! Next time someone asks me if I'm bored, I'll say "No, just contractually obliged."

Runner, I, too, get irritated at Brandon's non-response to Toni's death. I agree with desertflower that he was probably going for frozen shock, but to me he looks like someone who sees the child of a complete stranger drop their ice cream cone on the sidewalk. "Ah, bummer. I know, life's unfair, kid". I will admit though that Brandon and Dylan screaming and crying together would have made the scene have less impact - and the first five times I watched it, I was completely focused on Dylan's grief anyway.

When Josh dies, I am always surprised because to me, Brandon seems mostly annoyed in the aftermath. And right when it happens, he looks about the same level of upset he does when his Minnesota flame goes off with Dylan, or when Andrea rips into him, or when his dad wants to work on a deal that includes closing down the Peach Pit. I think JP's range was a bit limited when it came to the nuances of shock, sadness and discontent, to put it mildly.

Edited by Marie Claudine, Jul 2, 2013 @ 4:41 PM.

desertflower

desertflower

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 5:04 PM

I wonder what Brandon ever did with the sweater that Josh's sister forced on him after Josh died. If Josh knew how lackluster Brandon's response was to his death, I bet he'd want that sweater back.

Then again, "still waters run deep", so maybe even though B showed no reaction to the death, he was crying inside. I bet he kept Josh's sweater in his drawer alongside Emily's picture and Kelly's engagement ring. And every so often he'd get it out and sob into it. Hey, it could happen.

Runner123

Runner123

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 5:57 PM

Oh my gosh! I am so glad I wasn't drinking water  at this moment, Desertflower Just the visual of him mooning over all three of those things, and sobbing into Josh's sweater. LOL!

True. Both of them having very emotional reactions wouldn't have worked well, but....Something. It was such a non-reaction it didn't even seem quite like shock.

Yes!

but to me he looks like someone who sees the child of a complete stranger drop their ice cream cone on the sidewalk. "Ah, bummer. I know, life's unfair, kid".

Moxie Cat

Moxie Cat

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 8:19 AM

I saw the Tracy engagement ring scene yesterday. It is a weird scene. Sure, Tracy is looking for signals, but the way Brandon plays the scene is really weird too.

They are in bed, obviously just had sex, and Brandon says, "Hey, I got you something for Valentine's Day after all." In the next breath, as he's getting out of bed, he says, in a very abrupt, weird tone, "Wow, it's cold--do you want to grab a tee shirt from the drawer?" And leaves.

Tracy opens the drawer, and far from digging around, seems to see the ring box lying near the top. Brandon comes back in WITH CHAMPAGNE.

Maybe most people would be shell-shocked or say, "What is this?" or even throw the box back in the drawer. But after rewatching that, especially noting how Brandon came back with champagne, I can see why Tracy read the situation as she did. She clearly connected the "got you something" line with "look in the drawer."

And, like I noted earlier, how many girls would assume that a guy who was a senior in college, 21 or 22 years old, had already proposed to someone else?

OK--Tracy defense over. I do agree that she should have grown a backbone at this point in the show and ditched Brandon before he could ditch her.

debbielove

debbielove

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 9:08 AM

Watching the most recent weekend episodes reminds me of how much Donna devolves as a character after high school. I thought Donna was very self-confident and self-assured in the episode where she first brings up the issue of waiting to have sex (I guess that was in season 2), and even later on I like that she wasn't going to back down on her beliefs. The problem, is that I think that as the series went on, I think the "no sex" stance boxed Donna in as a character. If this was real life, Donna could simply meet someone with the same views on sex at church or something like that, but since she can only met guys through the gang, she's continually put in situations where this becomes an issue. By the time the David-Wayne-Noah drama starts, it seems like Donna is just plain confused, because she's criticized for have sex and not having sex and she has no idea what she really believes any more. 

Has anyone else noticed that Brandon looks like a tool/fool when he plays sports, or is this just me? Whether he plays basketball, football, track, baseball or whatever, he just looks so awkward. The only exception is hockey, where he really looks to be a natural, because he is (on JP's website he indicates that he's a lifelong fan of the sport, both as a player and a spectator). I wish they'd brought up Brandon's interest in hockey more rather than force him to be terrible in other sports, but I guess that ice hockey wouldn't be a natural fit in California.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 9:31 AM

He was a good rollerblader too.  Of course, he has to have that skill to play hockey.

Runner123

Runner123

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 12:08 PM

I always thought he was ok at basketball, too. Not a natural, and his stature is a bit of a liability, but not too bad. (Flag) Football, no. Swimming, no. Track...Eh. Didn't see enough of that to form an opinion, but in other scenes, like running with Susan, he clearly doesn't seem to be a runner. He did better faking that though than Donna did in "Mother May I..." Gads.

Speaking of sports: Hey, did you know Dick is dead! ?

But prior to that, why was he so bunged up about their 3-on-3 tournament. Gimme a break. I understand being competitive, but really? Lecturing Dick is dead about taking a few tokes after a practice? And why, while I'm ranting, did Tracy have to leave the gym and go wait in the car while Brandon got his smuggy lecture smug self on? But back to my main point...I understand being competitive...bro. But it's an intramural thing for God's sake. you aren't coming up on the NCAA March Madness tourney. Chill.

Moxie Cat

Moxie Cat

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 12:46 PM

Just noticed today that Mathew St. Patrick, a.k.a. Keith from Six Feet Under, is the ref (or some type of authority figure) during the basketball tournament!

Ack, the "just say no" message in that episode drives me nuts. Dick died because of a heroin overdose, right? And somehow they tie that to pot use (which probably made Steve and Dick lose brain cells, but wouldn't kill them).

Where was Val during all of this? The show had completely forgotten that she used to smoke pot--fairly regularly--only two years earlier! And she never received any kind of comeuppance in the plot for doing it, either (unless you count Brandon's disapproval). 

Oh Smith Smith. I love how they cast someone who couldn't act in real life as the upcoming hot actor.

skywalkersolo

skywalkersolo

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 4, 2013 @ 9:11 AM

Oh, thank God. They're playing the summer episodes from seasons 2-3 on Soapnet today. A huge contrast to yesterday's episodes, when, at each scene change I'm all "....yeah, I don't care about this subplot either."

Violet13

Violet13

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 4, 2013 @ 1:04 PM

Yay marathon of good episodes! No face eating by Donna, or treating poor, albeit stupid, Tracey like shit from Brandon. Just fun!

4Sibes

4Sibes

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 4, 2013 @ 1:24 PM

I was away from Soap Net for around a year, but resigned up a couple weeks ago for Dish Network. Jumping into the M-F episodes and weekend ones makes me confused about the time frame of when stuff happened, although I've seen the entire series more than once.

I started thinking about the characters and who they dated. Did Donna date more people outside of the group than any of the other characters?

skywalkersolo

skywalkersolo

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 4, 2013 @ 2:36 PM

"What makes you think you're so damn irresistible?" best line ever. Why, WHY was Andrea the only one to call Brandon on his shit?

Marie Claudine

Marie Claudine

Fanatic

Posted Jul 5, 2013 @ 3:54 AM

I know Andrea gets a lo of heat because she can be corny, the pregnancy storyline has its definite disadvantages, and GC looks 45, but I love the character anyway. There is a honesty and straight-forwardness about her that is quite the breath of fresh air (even when she doesn't call out Brandon :-)). I always think that when I return to the old seasons after the whole run is over.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Jul 5, 2013 @ 7:33 AM

That was some good soapy drama yesterday!  I love all the beach episodes. I did notice that Steve was the only one to go shirtless. 

callmebetty

callmebetty

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 5, 2013 @ 9:09 AM

Loved being able to watch the beach episodes yesterday and have it actually coincide with actual summer.  It was so nice to have the lightheartedness of those first two seasons back if only for a brief moment.

I noticed that on Sunday night they are going to be airing the show from the beginning with a block of episodes.

debbielove

debbielove

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 5, 2013 @ 10:02 AM

I started thinking about the characters and who they dated. Did Donna date more people outside of the group than any of the other characters?

I'm inclined to say "yes" although it seems like Brandon went out with more people in the first two seasons than everyone else put together because of his "girl of the week" plots.

Loved being able to watch the beach episodes yesterday and have it actually coincide with actual summer.  It was so nice to have the lightheartedness of those first two seasons back if only for a brief moment.

I totally agree. I'm watching them on DVR rather that today's episodes. The summer episodes really emphasize how California is supposed to be this magical, exotic place of beaches, bikinis, and sunshine, something that's totally missing in the later episodes, especially given the episode the day before yesterday when Kelly is on the deserted beach, writing in her journal. I don't see why some of that fun couldn't have occured in the college episodes, especially since the gang hardly ever goes to class (is Val ever seen in a classroom again after the sexual harrassment storyline?). I've noticed a distinct retro feel in the high school episodes, maybe because of Brandon and Dylan's huge pompadours. There are times when BH 90210 feels like a sexed up version of Archie. I love Archie, though, so it's all good.

Ack, the "just say no" message in that episode drives me nuts. Dick died because of a heroin overdose, right? And somehow they tie that to pot use (which probably made Steve and Dick lose brain cells, but wouldn't kill them).

Despite the hamfisted nature of the Dick storyline, it does kind of make sense in a way. I can see Steve being dim enough to try illegal drugs if some popular, charismatic friend tells him it'll be fun. I wonder if the writers were going for a sort of River Phoenix thing with Dick (i.e., a seemingly squeakly clean, intelligent guy falls prey to a closet heroin addiction and dies at a nightclub). If so, I think that they should have drawn it out a bit more, eliminated Brandon's editorializing, and focused on Steve's feelings. They also should have shown more of the aftermath with Val and David being accused of trafficking narcotics and how that would have affected their relationship with Steve. As usual though, Dick and his drug addiction are promptly forgotten. 

I've wondered why the writers never considered making Steve become an actor, given how extroverted he is and his mother's contacts in the entertainment industry. It would have been a much more logical choice than owning a tabloid.

desertflower

desertflower

Fanatic

Posted Jul 5, 2013 @ 12:21 PM

I've wondered why the writers never considered making Steve become an actor

I never thought about that but you are so right. That would've been right up his alley. They could've done something similar to Joey on Friends, and explore some of the goofy roles Steve could've gotten. It is surprising they didn't have more characters pursuing acting, considering where they were. There was Sophie, but I try to forget about her.

There is a honesty and straight-forwardness about her that is quite the breath of fresh air

I liked her too. More so as I got older and watched the reruns. I wasn't that crazy about her in the original run but I've come to really appreciate her. I love her rants when she gets all worked up about something and starts talking a mile a minute. Particularly the scene where Brandon asks if she's going to the spring dance and she goes on and on about why she hates dances and Brandon just stares at her in confusion.

Runner123

Runner123

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 5, 2013 @ 1:39 PM

Yes! And then even she gets confused and says something like, "What was the question?" That's a great, cute, funny, thoroughly Oohndrea rant. :)