Beverly Hills 90210

• Please log in to reply

30203 replies to this topic

fuzzybear

fuzzybear

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

OMG! The Dylan sees Kelly in the old west and decides they need to take a soul mate trip around the world. I HATE KELLY SO MUCH RIGHT NOW!!!!! She cheats on Brandon with Dylan, strings both of them along, and acts all tragic and pouty about the whole thing. The fact that she doesn't tell Brandon about the trip and just lets him find out through the rummer mill is so so wrong! You are being a sneaky bitch on the level of Valerie. Even Donna called her stupid. The worst part is I always get the feeling im supposed to sympathize with Kelly and I can not. Plus, after the wisdom of a few years, Dylan just comes across as such an idiot. You see Kelly in your stupid little cowboy dream and now she's the love of your life? If you'd seen Brenda would you be off to London? How about Donna or Andrea? Lets go really out there, what if it were Cindy? Would you ask her to choose between Jim and Hong Kong or spending all of eternity with you gullible, sulky ass. The hatred, it know no bounds. I'm not trying to knock regression for those that believe in it, its just that Dylan does it once and decides he's had an epiphany. Stupid, shallow, pretentious twit. Its like going to mass once and then joining a convent the next day. Dumb-ass.

Marie Claudine

Marie Claudine

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 5:58 PM

Lol, fuzzybear, tell us how you really feel :-)!
But I have to agree, the Wild West crap and what happens after is so phony! And I will never understand why Brandon reacts with a proposal when he finds out his girlfriend is making kissy face with her ex and considering going on a (surely not platonic) world cruise with him. He should have broken up with her there and then and ripped her a new sensitivity while he was at it!

And Dylan? Oh Dylan. For a first-timer in the world of hypnosis, he sure got the jackpot right there, and ran out and willy-nilly destroyed the relationship of the guy he called his best friend. Like you said, there are many possible explanations for what he saw, and what if he had seen someone else?
Of course all of his rash actions wouldn't have mattered a damn if Kelly hadn't been flakey enough to fall for his crap. In a way, I guess his soulmate stuff must have seemed like an extension to the things he said on the playground in S3, and she had probably waited for a long time to hear him fully commit to her, but still. Kelly was with Brandon, and there was a whole host of excellent reasons why she and Dylan had broken up. It's not too much to ask, I think, that she remember that. At least long enough to break up with Brandon properly, or to think it through before she kissed around.

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

fuzzybear I love your outrage! The first time I saw that episode/arc I was stunned even though Kelly had proven prior to that she's a damned flake and hippo-cat. (tm Gilly). I mean, not only did she have no business hanging out with Dylan, but she was considering taking a trip with him. Brandon should have dumped her ass in a heartbeat and bid her bon voyage - let her go fight with Dylan through yet another world tour. These were not highschool kids anymore, and they should have had more consideration for each other's feelings. The fact that she even considered such a thing is disgusting. If she was that uncertain about Brandon she should have had the decency to break up with him. I miss highschool fun Kelly before she became so entitled she just played these two friends against each other constantly and expected them to shake hands and agree. And expected the rejected one to take her back when she changed her mind for the 45th time.

BTW, anybody - what are those thingies at the bottom of the posts - one says move up (or something) and one says reputation or something? WTH is that stuff? I think they were going to disable some of the features for the new program (and I barely use any of them)but I'm really baffled by those things and afraid to mouse over one and accidentally cause the world to end.

4Sibes

4Sibes

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:39 PM

BTW, it looks like at least for this weekend the show will have an extra hour. It starts an hour earlier and goes for 6 hours.

Marie Claudine

Marie Claudine

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 2:36 AM

Maxbird, I am not really sure, but I think the bottom one means "Vote this post up" - is that TwoP's equivalent of the "like" button on Facebook? (I might be off here, because I am not on Facebook and only know the "like" button from what others have told me.) So I think if you accidentally hit that, it doesn't matter. I think the other would be worse :-), it's a "report" button, probably means you can report this post if it contains spam or spoilers (not around here :-)) or offensive language, or is completely OT (like this one).

One thought on Dylan and the hypnosis: what I found weird is that everybody always made a point of how critical and skeptic Dylan was, and yet he went to the hypnosis thing and he totally got why the creepy ugly Milledding master Finley impressed Kelly. I wonder why he had a reputation of not falling easily for such metaphysical offers, because he sure did, every time. In fact with that and the drugs, Dylan seemed to have quite an inclination to be transferred to other states of mind with whatever means possible.

I think the one who was most resistent to things like that was Brandon. He had no chemical addiction, only gambling, he never really seemed to look for metaphysical answers, and he was the only one unimpressed by that fraudster fortune teller in S6. To this day I crack up when the lady tells him there is a lack of truth between him and Susan, who is dressed as Pocahontas. And he says, still with his Godfather mouthpieces, "Five bucks her her to tell me you are not Pocahontas. Hm."

borninnj

borninnj

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 8:21 AM

I know there was talk a few pages ago of Jennie Garth doing a reality show. I don't have an opinion on that one way or the other. I did, however, pick up the People magazine where JG talks about her divorce from the Dr. Carlisle "The Fatch" Cullen. I'll be darned if the article didn't make me tear up a little. She seems really heartbroken about it. I wonder if he cheated on her?

I also saw Shannen Doherty's appearance yesterday on The View. It was weird. It seemed like Barbara Walters wanted to rile up ShanDo, who just wanted to talk about her new reality show. Did anyone else see it? Wasn't it strange?

desertflower

desertflower

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 11:13 AM

BTW, anybody - what are those thingies at the bottom of the posts - one says move up (or something) and one says reputation or something?

Yep, I think Marie Claudine is right, it's like a "like" button. The number next to it I think just shows how many likes the post has. I think I read that originally there was also a vote down button but I think they disabled that.

I also saw Shannen Doherty's appearance yesterday on The View. It was weird. It seemed like Barbara Walters wanted to rile up ShanDo, who just wanted to talk about her new reality show.

It was strange. Barbara Walters was asking some pretty rude questions like she just wanted to get a reaction or something. Shannen laughed it off and was a good sport. Her show looks pretty awful, but I wish her better luck with this marriage.

Totally agree with the opinions about Kelly when Brandon and Dylan were fighting for her. I hadn't seen that episode in a while and was thinking they just kissed that once when he first shows up on her doorstep. But no, there was quite a bit of flirting/kissing when she fell rollerblading, and then they kissed for an ETERNITY while Donna and Claire were chatting it up in the beach apartment, peeking at her through the blinds. Claire had time to tell Donna she was too good for Ray and Donna storms off in a huff, and Kelly and Dylan are STILL going at it on the porch. And I didn't see any hesitation on Kelly's part at all. It was crappy of her to do that and crappy of Dylan to go after her like that and expect Brandon to just step aside. And yeah, weird that Brandon's first reaction was to propose. I guess he felt like that was his only weapon against Dylan: stability. But he got more riled up over Donna not being allowed to graduate than he did about this. He should've dropped her like he did Emily when she slipped him the U4EA!

Marie Claudine

Marie Claudine

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 12:27 PM

The weird thing is, with his oddly zen reaction, Brandon did both himself and Kelly a disservice. Kelly still loved Brandon, and after she chose herself, she wanted him back. But by then it was too late and he was mad; as I would have been if my proposal had received a negative response by my significant other in a parking lot right next to the guy she just cheated on me with. If he had said right from the start, if you do that, I am out, none of this might have happened.

I also don't quite understand how he isn't mad at Dylan one bit, and Dylan is not the least bit troubled either and just expects for their friendship to go on in a merry fashion - he surely didn't think that when it was his turn to lose Kelly!

fuzzybear

fuzzybear

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 1:03 PM

I also don't quite understand how he isn't mad at Dylan one bit, and Dylan is not the least bit troubled either and just expects for their friendship to go on in a merry fashion - he surely didn't think that when it was his turn to lose Kelly

Whats even weirder to me is in the next episodes (the Palm Springs story which I love) Brandon is going off the deep end. He's drinking too much and flirting with Valerie and basically acting like a 20 year old guy reeling from a painful breakup. Dylan is financing his movie like he didn't just loose his soul mate. He comes across as more flaky and self involved than heart broken.

Oh well on to Palm Springs, which I really do like and the start of what I think is a surprisingly thoughtful and well written story line about abuse with Donna and Ray. Its actually one of my favorite plot-lines in the entire series because I think the writers did such a fantastic job with it.

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

Thanks for the info on the mystery buttons to this non-tech. I don't do Facebook either so not accustomed to that kind of stuff. I do recall reading on the info about the new system there may have been some discussion about causing bad feelings or something?

Okay, back on topic - I have a feeling (and I didn't see it) that since ShanDo has played up her "bad girl" image a few times, like with that book, that she was being baited, either with or without her consent. But I'm glad she blew it off and wish her the best, while not watching one second of her show. Somebody please realize this girl had a huge fan base and put her in something scripted!!!

Did the writers just get bored and run out of material and decide it was time for yet another triagle rotation and not think it through? You are right, uptight Brandon would not have taken that lying down. He would have crept off crushed or raised hell, not cheerfully remained friends with Dylan. Why did everyone accept this crap from Kelly? She dated John Sears but expected Dylan to wait in the wings. Whichever one she was with she expected the other to be on tap for the next time she changed her mind.

Now that you mention it, for a blase man of the world, Dylan was sadly naive. "This is your sister". "Okay, let me get my checkbook". He fell for every ploy yet resisted any and all good advice he received from Iris or Jim. The only person he ever appeared to respect with regard to comments about his life was Andrea. Then we had him, a lamb to the slaughter with Marchant(?). After being hung off a ski lift or whatever he really didn't think this guy would hurt him if he didn't lay off the daughter?

fuzzybear

fuzzybear

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 1:50 PM

One thought on Dylan and the hypnosis: what I found weird is that everybody always made a point of how critical and skeptic Dylan was, and yet he went to the hypnosis thing and he totally got why the creepy ugly Milledding master Finley impressed Kelly. I wonder why he had a reputation of not falling easily for such metaphysical offers, because he sure did, every time. In fact with that and the drugs, Dylan seemed to have quite an inclination to be transferred to other states of mind with whatever means possible.

Now that you mention it, for a blase man of the world, Dylan was sadly naive. "This is your sister". "Okay, let me get my checkbook".

Thank you both for articulating my impression of Dylan during the college years much better than I could. He seemed very much like someone looking for something to believe in. That's one of the reasons the hypnosis story bugs me so much. It could be LP's portrayal of Dylan (he did spend a lot of time doing a bad James Dean impersonation), but he seemed so detached from everything. It didn't seem like he had hypnosis and realized his love for Kelly was never going to change and he had to go for it no matter what. It seemed more like he saw Kelly in a dream and had a hypnosis lady (is there a term for that?) tell him about spiritual connections and he decided to go with this idea of Kelly as his soul mate and that's what he would do with his life. I always felt like it could have been anyone or anything in that dream, Dylan just wanted something to focus his life on. And that feeling never really left me for the entire series. I always saw Kelly and Dylan as two people who pretty randomly decided they were soul mates one day (even though they never seemed to actually want a life together) and then let a romantic idea they came up with when they were kids ruin all their other relationships. More immature and dumb than romantic. Any thoughts from the Dylan/Kelly shippers? I'd love to hear another point of view.

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 5:23 PM

You're right about D&K as far as actual reality goes. I think they loved the idea of being in love/soul mates but it never came to fruition. How often did we ever see them happy for more than a week? They may have accepted one another's flaws but they sure couldn't live with them on a daily basis. Brenda and Toni, for instance, could live with it, Brenda by doing her own thing at times and Toni because she was so damned sweet and of course, she only saw Dylan's good side (in relation to how he treated her).

The saddest thing (to me) about Dylan is he regressed. When we first met him when he was mad, bad, and dangerous, it became quickly evident he was actually a lonely kid longing for family and connections. He maintained some of the James Dean but was so happy to be part of the Walsh clan, have Brandon for a bestie, make more of an effort in school, yet he still surfed and did his own things. Even though he was taken aback at times by having to follow the rules he liked having somebody care enough to worry about him. Later, he was bitterly resentful when anyone questioned him or tried to give him advice and treated them badly enough to make them leave him, which completed the circle. I suppose that's why he grabbed onto the silly soulmate cluster. He had lost his dad, his mother was a flake, Brenda left him .. He seemed to forget that whenever he was with Kelly they fought and he stormed off, and both of them were totally miserable. I adored high school Dylan for the most part. Later on I just found him to be an angry waste of space who never learned from his past mistakes. And yes, I know he was ultimately redeemed but by that time the bloom was off the rose for me. I wouldn't have minded him going to London and getting together with Brenda. The implication that he and Kelly would be together makes my head hurt, wondering how fast she'll cheat and he'll be raving and ranting about everything. It never failed. Frankly, I almost feel like if he had taken up with divorcing Andrea he may have been better off. Except on rare occasions, she just wasn't a drama queen and had enough going on herself that she wouldn't have reacted to his moods and funks maybe.

Moviesnob

Moviesnob

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

I've been watching the entire series for the first time via Netflix, and now I'm just starting the last season. It is getting harder to bear - it feels like the series lost it's magic when Brandon left, and all that keeps me holding on now is David. And Janet. For now.

It's interesting to see the events that date the later seasons - like when Steve freaks out about Y2K, and when Christina Aguilera/Monica sing at the PPAD. And what a crappy lawyer Matt is. I just finished the ep where Dylan goes back to college - just five more discs to go!

Marie Claudine

Marie Claudine

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 6:33 AM

Wow, Moviesnob - you are on a marathon! I share your feeling that the show lost a lot of its appeal when Brandon left. Somehow, much as he irritates me at times, he was the center of the show.

You're right about D&K as far as actual reality goes. I think they loved the idea of being in love/soul mates but it never came to fruition. How often did we ever see them happy for more than a week? They may have accepted one another's flaws but they sure couldn't live with them on a daily basis.

That's the thing for me. I for one actually think Kelly and Dylan had chemistry, especially in S3 and partly S4, and then later when he came back. I prefer her with Brandon for multiple reasons, but with Brandon gone, I actually thought it might be nice for Dylan and Kelly to end up together. It gave me a nice sense of closure, since their love story had given the show such an edge and defining twist.
That said, I am maddened by the hasty happy end we were given. Dylan had grown a lot, I give him that, but his relationship and reliability record in the last two years before their hookup was still not what you'd look for in a partner. When Kelly and Dylan reunited in the end, I liked it, but was not sold on the idea that this was happily ever after. In fact, I would not have been surprised had they found themselves single again in two months time. This was even enhanced by the fact that their trademark flakiness sort of transcended into the last episode. First Kelly sighs and tells him she needs to wait and take it slow and get over Matt; and two days later she tells him she doesn't want to take it slow anymore. I know we were supposed to believe that having seen David and Donna's love, and having received Matt's phony blessing, she suddenly was ready to take the leap, but to me it was just too close to your typical Kelly/Dylan flakiness, kisses today and tears tomorrow, promises left and disregard right.

I would have loved it if the show had gotten them together earlier on in S10. We could have seen them be a couple, like Kelly was with Brandon and Dylan with Brenda or Toni, and we could have seen them laugh together, go places together and really be an item. That would have sold me much more on the idea of a permanent commitment than their tons of theoretical conversations ("Can I trust you, will you stay with me,...") and longing looks. Also, it would have been nice to see Dylan happy for a while, and it would have had the added bonus of getting Matt out of my hair earlier. There are tons of Matt storylines in S10 I could have done without; they made me dislike Matt even more than I already did before!

Jen1n

Jen1n

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 9:12 AM

Off topic: I'm so glad to see others here who don't do Facebook..I thought I was the last hold out. I'm constantly being harassed by my bff to sign up. (I think it can be a bit evil, but that's a whole other rant not for here..)

On topic: Marie Claudine, I think your thoughts about getting Kelly and Dylan back together early S10 would have been good. I'm by no means a K/D fan- (I'm B/D all the way) but there are definitely a LOT of Matt stories we could have done without. It got tiring after a while, all the Kelly/Dylan angsty back and forth. It might have been nice to see them back together and content for a while.

My Brenda/Dylan loving heart, however, would have had them break up before the series finale and had Dylan running back to Brenda. :)

borninnj

borninnj

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 9:27 AM

My SoapNet just changed over to Disney Jr.! I'm devastated! I'm home sick today and wanted to see what eps were on today, and all I see are cartoon elephants.

I seriously want to cry. I knew this day was coming, but I have Comcast and I thought they were going to continue offering SoapNet! At least for a while....

I think I may have to make a complaining call later.

Marie Claudine

Marie Claudine

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 10:08 AM

borninnj, I feel your pain! I know it's going to sound selfish, but who needs another children's channel that runs around the clock? Seriously, today's kids watch too much TV as it is already. And I know the stuff on SoapNet was just reruns, but after catching an episode of Nu90210 for the first time in a long while last week, I have to say, reruns can be better and make more sense than what's currently on! Our show may have its continuity errors and occasional lapses in storytelling, but as soaps and teen dramas go, it's a pretty solid narrative all in all. And I read that the viewers rates weren't so bad, so I hope another channel picks it up soon. They could very well replace some of that reality TV nonsense where people scream at each other or publicly lose weight or show off their children doing God knows what.

*puts on old lady coat and slinks off to rant about the flaws of youth*

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

Marie Claudine I am with you. I do not begrudge the little ones their entertainment, but they have SEVERAL channels. Why take away our SoapNet! I have DirecTv in Chicago and I still have SoapNet(I just checked). I might have to break down and get the DVDs. I still say we should petition Logo to do re-runs, I would be willing to expand my cable package for that.

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 11:48 AM

I feel your pain even tho I don't have SN. Here's a shameful secret I'd never tell anyone else. I marathoned this show a couple years back (Netflix) during the summer having never seen it. I would save the disks and allot them to myself over the week. Well, I had one left and hoarded it, had a really bad week and was thrilled to see it on Friday night - the damned thing was broken. I too almost cried and went into serious withdrawal. Where is the drug lady when you need her?

Beats me why anyone needs a 24-hour channel for toddlers. Do people seriously let tiny kids like that watch TV for hours and hours? Is SN dissolving or just not being carried anymore? And yes, I for one don't want to watch sweating crying idiots lose weight or abuse children or the ladies of The Spew debating important topics. I also don't care about singing, dancing or Snooki or Kim K.

I wish one of the rerun cable stations would pick up this show and some of the others - they show reruns of stuff all day and these shows were extremely popular.

RE Facebook (and this is on topic somewhat). I don't even remember how to get there and find it not to my liking (which is off topic). However, I'm seeing more and more stuff like even on a lot of TV shows where there is a button that says "go to FB to see what everybody thinks" so I may have to try to remember my password at some point. Hard to lurk on there and read, I always get a bunch of junk and friend requests the few times I've ventured there.

Wending back to being truly on topic, did TPTB know the show was ending with S-10 for sure? I'm wondering if they would have had a decent D&K buildup, resolution of the past, good hopes for the future if they had known. If they did not know, it makes sense they would stuff that into the few last episodes to give some closure or whatever to fans if that makes sense.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

I had SoapNet last night. I hope I still have it today. I agree- the kiddies have enough channels. And they don't need a 24/7 channel for 3 year olds!

desertflower

desertflower

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

Yeah, I have a 3 year-old and she watches some shows but mostly in the morning, which is when most of the kid channels show their preschool shows. A 24 hour network might be nice for occasional circumstances but for the most part it is not needed and it probably encourages some parents to have a tv in the kids' room and leave it on all night! Besides, that's what DVDs are for, if you really need a kid show at some strange hour!

I still have Soapnet today; Cox Cable hasn't picked it up yet but I imagine it will just be a matter of time.

The weekday shows are starting the Colin era. (Is that the start of season 6?) And I think this is the time when Brandon's beautiful yellow Mustang just disappears and is replaced by a new black one. Boo! I miss the yellow one.

ITA on getting Kelly and Dylan together earlier in season 10. It really does seem like they crammed so much into the finale that maybe they were possibly expecting another season and then found out last minute they were done.

They shouldn't have had Kelly and Matt get engaged. I get that it created some drama for Kelly and Dylan but it was just kind of pathetic and made me feel sorry for Matt because you just knew that it didn't have a chance in hell. I wasn't sure where they were going to go exactly but I was positive they would have Kelly and Dylan together in the end somehow, or have Brandon show up and unexpectedly whisk her away. (I wish!) But poor Matt the Placeholder was doomed from the start.

I am on facebook and probably spend too much time there but I totally understand why people choose not to do it. It's a time sucker for sure. But it makes me feel connected to people when I'm stuck in the house, much like this board does! :)

callmebetty

callmebetty

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 5:06 PM

I have two questions hopefully someone can answer:
1) I can't remember did Val and Brandon end up sleeping together. I missed the Season 6 opener today.
2) Why was Ray a recurring character for so long? It seemed like he should have been gone far sooner than he was, but everytime I thought he was he kept popping back up. Was someone dating Jamie Walters on the show? I just hated his character. He started off alright, but the whold abusive relationship thing, I thought Donna was a lot smarter and stronger than to put up with that bs for so long.

Runner123

Runner123

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 5:20 PM

Boy Maxbird, I just read what you said about looking forward to watching your last disk after a really crappy week. Well, I still have SoapNet as of today, but I have Comcast, so I keep expecting to not have it. Today I had to stay home from work because I had to put my cat, Mrs. Nibbles, to sleep. She was 16, and she was also my very first cat. I love her and miss her terribly already. She was the most neurotic cat in all of feline-dom, but she was my first, and we had a strong bond. I knew since Friday that the time was near, but things suddenly accelerated late last night.

The appointment was at 11:45 this morning, and after I got home, I just kind of sat and stared at nothing for about an hour, crying intermittently. Then I thought, "Thank goodness for 90210". I've been hoarding recordings on my DVR, to the point of deleting a few other things that I really liked and have had on there for a year or so, just to make more room. I've had to be brutal with some season 1-3 episodes that I really liked, but just didn't like as well as some absolute favorites. Yes, it was a balm this afternoon to have a mini-marathon. Slumber Party, Necessity is a Mother--That one kills me for all the "bad poolhall-blues-guitar-of-Dylan's-angst" stuff. And "Falcone" That bad ass, that needs a bunch of people to help him beat up one skinny drunk guy...A couple from season 2, and ending with the Maggie the Cat storyline. Not because I particularly adore all of that story line, but I love that Dylan defends Brenda, I love their chemistry, I love that Roy Randolph kicks crazy Laura out of the production publicly, and I love to cringe at the miles of bad acting when she was pretending she was going to hang herself. This? This was supposed to be the amazing Maggie the Cat? ...Excuse me, Margaret (cringe)It took hours to get me up off the couch, but I do feel a little tiny bit better after my marathon.

Mommyof2Cuties

Mommyof2Cuties

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 6:53 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your cat, Runner. :( I hope your memories are able to give you some kind of comfort, along with the episodes of our show.

Yeah, I have a 3 year-old and she watches some shows but mostly in the morning, which is when most of the kid channels show their preschool shows. A 24 hour network might be nice for occasional circumstances but for the most part it is not needed and it probably encourages some parents to have a tv in the kids' room and leave it on all night!

Yeah, there were times when my Cuties were younger that I loved having their shows on at night, usually when they woke up sick! :( But with Sprout and Nick, Jr. already on 24 hours a day, I really don't think Disney, Jr. was needed at all!

Off topic: I'm so glad to see others here who don't do Facebook..I thought I was the last hold out. I'm constantly being harassed by my bff to sign up. (I think it can be a bit evil, but that's a whole other rant not for here..)

Totally with you on this, Jen1n! I thought I was the only one not on Facebook! :)

I always saw Kelly and Dylan as two people who pretty randomly decided they were soul mates one day (even though they never seemed to actually want a life together) and then let a romantic idea they came up with when they were kids ruin all their other relationships. More immature and dumb than romantic. Any thoughts from the Dylan/Kelly shippers? I'd love to hear another point of view.

You may be sorry you asked... ;) I think Dylan and Kelly were soulmates. I think that the writers actually gave a lot of thought and care to this component of their relationship. Dylan first expresses the idea in Season 3. Kelly's call had "saved" his life from the explosion that killed his dad and he wasn't unhappy that he was alive because of her. That's pretty powerful. Then it's brought up again in Season 5 with Dylan's hypnosis and him finding Kelly in his past life, and Kelly admitting to Donna that Dylan would always have a piece of her soul. Then when Dylan returns in Season 9, we have Steve mentioning more than once that Kelly and Dylan thought they were soulmates or that they don't really fit, but they do fit together. In Season 10, Dylan wants to commit his life to Kelly. Not in some naive, hopeful way that he had with Toni, but knowing everything about her. Kelly is the only woman Dylan had ever tried to commit to in a serious way more than once. And Kelly actually proposes to Dylan. She takes the initiative for a change! And her conversation was so telling to me when she tells Donna that she doesn't know what she would have done had he said yes. She had asked him to scare him off, but I think Dylan actually openly and truly commiting to her was exactly what she wanted in her heart of hearts. Had he said he wanted to marry her then, it would have been interesting to see what she would have done. Especially because Dylan hadn't yet proven himself with college, Jack, and Maddie.

I don't want to sound like I'm blind to the faults of K/D as a pairing. They had some pretty big obstacles and ugly spots in their relationship. Season 4 in particular was very hard on their connection, but I disagree with the notion that Kelly and Dylan never had a real relationship. They bonded based on friendship and shared background. They connected through passion that deepened into real love. There are several episodes with them just being a couple. Chilling at the Peach Pit together, going out to dinner, relaxing at Dylan's, attending school events together, these are all as much a part of their history as the fights and sex were. Steve and Janet fought, Donna and David fought, Kelly and Brandon fought, and Brenda and Dylan fought. All of these are considered legitimate couples, but I often feel like Kelly and Dylan don't get viewed the same way because of the way they started. During some of the hardest times of their lives, they were there for each other wholeheartedly. Kelly tried and failed with two nice guys. Each time, she was drawn back to Dylan. Even at the height of her relationship with Brandon, Dylan never lost his importance in Kelly's life, even though she didn't want to be with him romantically. Kelly loved Steve and would do anything for him, but that wasn't the same way she felt about Dylan. She loved Dylan and would do anything for him, too, but there was always something more. It was like she literally could not stay away from him when the opportunity presented itself. I don't think it was selfish that they wanted to be together, but selfish that they wouldn't admit to it. They hurt other people because they were protecting themselves. They knew being together was either fantastic or painful, and they were looking for alternatives to spare them from pain. Instead of it working, they brought more pain on themselves and dragged other people into it, too. Dylan woke up to that faster than Kelly, but I think Kelly really wanted to make sure there wasn't another alternative before they took the leap.

All that being said, I do wish that Kelly and Dylan were together earlier in Season 10. It would have been nice to see them together at the end of the show as a couple, rather than just wanting to be one. And anything that gets rid of some of those ridiculous DoorMatt stories, can't be a bad thing! ;)

desertflower

desertflower

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 7:51 PM

Runner, I'm also sorry for the loss of your beloved pet! :(

Callmebetty, no, Brandon and Val didn't go through with it. Something about how it felt weird and they kept laughing. So basically he was the only guy Val didn't sleep with! Well, she also showed some restraint with Nat, Jesse and Mr. Walsh. :) Were Val and Matt on the show at the same time or was she gone by then?

Golds

Golds

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

Hi everyone, and Runner, sorry to hear about your cat. I caught Andrea's last episode the other day on SoapNet and no matter how many times I've seen it, it makes me tear up. I love the way she got to say goodbye and share a brief but special moment with each character...then the little montage of moments - especially with her tossing her graduation cap into the air - sigh. It was a good episode.

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 8:48 PM

Runner I'm so very sorry. I'll pm ya later so we don't get in trouble for being totally OT but as you know, I recently went through something similar with a beloved old pet and it's soooo hard. Glad you had saved enough of our show to just go hang out in the zipcode for awhile and chill. I wish netflix would stream the damned thing since the streaming membership is cheap.

I'm astonished that lots of you also eschew Facebook. I think it's wonderful for families keeping in touch, etc. but it just ain't my thing and I find it intrusive and annoying on a lot of other levels, such as a zillion messages in my junk mail every day where somebody took a picture of their hamburger they had for lunch. Can you imagine if our show had been written in Facebook days? The stories would have been amazing - bullying, teachers catching idiot kids bragging about cheating on tests, everyone spying on would-be lovers?

RE: Disney - everyone I know with tiny kids has maybe a couple morning shows the kiddies like but most seem to have collections of DVD's since little kids tend to have favorites and those are what they use if hte kids are sick or need to be entertained for awhile.

Nope, Val didn't get to sleep with DoorMatt because the Val wannabe, the every horrid Gina was on the scene at that time to torture Kelly and Donna. She sure didn't do it with the finesse Val did. It was odd that since Brandon and Val discovered they were too much old friends or whatever to do the deed, Val was still so jealous about Kelly. I know that she hated her on many levels and was trying to "protect" Brandon but it seems at different times she also blamed Kelly for the fact she and Brandon never got together.

Trivia/history question. I'm tearfully watching the last ep of OTH now and recalling the early good days. Was Hot Uncle Cooper on OTH Gilly's brother on our show? I think his name was Josh maybe? I love when these people pop up, as in John Sears/Dan Scott. I was also amazed to revisit S-1 The OC and see a punk guy in a bit part is now Stefan on Vamp Diaries. Too bad none of our beloved people other than John Sears starred in anything else, other than Brenda in Charmed where she was wonderful IMO.

desertflower

desertflower

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 9:38 PM

Also, Jennie was in that show with Amanda Bynes, which I didn't watch during it's original run but I've caught in syndication, and I found it to be pretty cute. Jennie was funny in it and it was a nice change of pace from all the Kelly Taylor angst. Plus, we got a few guest spots from Jason and Luke, so that was a plus.

Marie Claudine

Marie Claudine

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 6:05 AM

Runner, I am so sorry about the loss of your cat. This is really sad. I'm sending you a big virtual hug!

Callmebetty, that's an interesting question about Ray's long stay on the show. I always thought he way overstayed his welcome. I don't know if Jamie Walters slept with anyone to keep the gig going :-). I know he was briefly engaged to Drew Barrymore in the early 90s, but after that I'm not sure. But generally, it felt to me as if they really tried to bring in a couple of new people for the gang to date in S5-7, and not just for two episodes, to make the thing a bit more believable. Susan, Tracy, Colin, Ray, Joe, and Mark, all stuck around way longer than they were interesting, I thought. With Ray, it might also be that they tried to bring in a new guy, since they had more girls than guys at that point (with Val and Clare arriving and Brenda leaving). So maybe they attempted to have him as a regular at first; but when the gang opened up more in S6, he was no longer an absolute necessity and they sacrificed him to storytelling. That's just a hypothesis though.

Were Val and Matt on the show at the same time or was she gone by then?

I think there was some overlap, but since she was sleeping with her mother's boyfriend by that time :-)...

They shouldn't have had Kelly and Matt get engaged. I get that it created some drama for Kelly and Dylan but it was just kind of pathetic and made me feel sorry for Matt because you just knew that it didn't have a chance in hell.

I agree. That was unnecessary, sad for Matt, irritating regarding Kelly (be honest to yourself, woman!), and boring for us viewers.

Was Hot Uncle Cooper on OTH Gilly's brother on our show?

Yes, he was! I was so excited when I realized that one day (I know. I'm a nerd).

Spencer84

Spencer84

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 7:47 AM

Val and Matt shared some scenes, and she hired him as her lawyer when Abby threatened to turn Val in to the police because she had murdered her father.

Regarding Ray, I once read Aaron Spelling was very fond of Jamie Walters and thought of him as a new "James Dean" type. Walters first starred on Spelling's short-lived show "The Heights" and was then brought to "90210". Spelling loved to cast actors from his previous shows on his next ventures there are so many people who starred on two or more Spelling shows. Even though Beverly Hills 90210, Melrose Place and Models Inc. are all connected to each other, there were a lot of actors who appeared in different roles on two of these or even all three shows. The most prominent example would be Laura Leighton who appeared as Sydney Andrews on Melrose Place for four seasons, and then played Sophie on 90210. Other Spelling shows which "recycled" familiar faces include Sunset Beach, Pacific Palisades, Charmed and even 7th Heaven.

Beginning with 90210's sixth season, Walters was made a series regular, but after 13 episodes he asked to be released from his contract. So initially he was supposed to stick around much longer.

Kelly and Dylan did not get together much earlier in season 10 because nobody thought that the show was going to be cancelled that suddenly. I think FOX axed the show in January or February 2000, and they had already produced most of the episodes for that season. Donna and David getting back together also happened quite quickly since David had just met Camille (whose actress Josie Davis was listed as a Special Guest Star, so I think she was supposed to replace Gina as a new series regular had the show been extended for another season). That's why the series finale feels kind of rushed. Had they known beforehand that the show would end after season 10, I think a lot of things would have happened differently.