Beverly Hills 90210

• Please log in to reply

30197 replies to this topic

Marie Claudine

Marie Claudine

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 12:18 PM

I think because Kelly and Dylan had no closure. They broke up at the hospital, saw each other a day later and were reconnecting until they fought over Kevin again, and then didn't see each other for the whole summer. Kelly probably had unresolved feelings for Dylan, which is why she seemed off after the Dylan-sighting, but after his behavior she decided "wholesome" Brandon was the one she wanted to be with (which lasted at least a few months before she was waffling towards Dylan again :)).

I know mileage varies, and your interpretation makes a lot of sense regarding Kelly's "We are so over." However, I think Kelly and Dylan tried to stay together in S4 way past their expiration date, and I always had the feeling that Kelly just didn't want to lose Dylan to Brenda in S4. She already had feelings for Brandon way before she and Dylan ever broke up. I get that she seemed off after the Dylan sighting, but think it was because she felt guilty - after all, unlike Dylan, she knew that she had had feelings for Brandon well before she and Dylan broke it off. To me, "We are so over" read like something she'd say to herself in anger, like "Don't need to feel guilty, that idiot does not deserve my worrying."

As for Dylan needing help, I agree that Brandon acted a bit smug. But he also stayed with drugged Dylan after having been insulted, to make sure he was ok, and he didn't give up on him. Also, Dylan had just spent the whole summer screwing prostitutes in Mexico, so that pretty much cancels out any right he otherwise may have had to be mad about Brandon/Kelly. And while Dylan clearly needed help, I get that a bunch of 19 year-olds sometimes got exasperated with him. He took their help and their being there for him very much for granted, got ultra-offended if they weren't, but he himself didn't really give much back most of the time (his being more helpful started only after his addiction). And that's not only when he was drugged. The hostile and selfish way he treated Kelly towards the end of S4 was enough for her never to speak to him again, but he just returned from the summer assuming she'd be there for him. Dylan was a piece of work. Yes, he needed help, but I cannot really blame either Kelly or Brandon for taking a chance to have a normal, undramatic, working relationship for once. And I think even by the end of the season, when Dylan was sober and Kelly chose herself, she to an extent realized that she had a much bigger chance at getting that kind of relationship and partnership from Brandon than Dylan.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 1:05 PM

Man, it's been awhile since I've seen some of these episodes. Just saw Brandon get scammed and Brenda/Andrea fight over Chris Suitor. Brandon was such a dumb ass. He buys the Mustang without test-driving it and then gets all huffy and puffy when the guy won't give him his money back. It irritates me that Jim and Cindy fix everything for him because he 'deserved it'. No wonder he never learned that acting smug will fix everything. They reinforced that notion in their son.

Ah, Chris. Another hottie that turned out to be a douche.

Mommyof2Cuties

Mommyof2Cuties

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 3:08 PM

She already had feelings for Brandon way before she and Dylan ever broke up. I get that she seemed off after the Dylan sighting, but think it was because she felt guilty - after all, unlike Dylan, she knew that she had had feelings for Brandon well before she and Dylan broke it off. To me, "We are so over" read like something she'd say to herself in anger, like "Don't need to feel guilty, that idiot does not deserve my worrying."

I totally see your point, and agree that she was already harboring feelings for Brandon pre-Dylan break up. Not to get started on another rant, but... :) That is yet one more thing that drives me crazy from Season 4. Post-retreat, she seems firmly Dylan despite kissing Brandon. Then when they want to move Dylan more into Brenda's orbit, Kelly is suddenly giving Brandon the eye over David's piano playing. By the time Kelly and Brandon meet in the parking lot and she does her "peachy weachy" baby talk, I think you can tell she's looking for an excuse to get rid of Dylan. She's saying things to Brenda like you're the love of Dylan's life and telling Andrea it wasn't meant to last with Dylan. Okay, fine. As a Kelly/Dylan fan, it's a bitter pill but I can swallow it. :( But then, Season 5 rolls around and Kelly clearly still feels a pull to Dylan and Dylan definitely still feels one to Kelly. They bring up the soulmate thing and then add the past lives connection. So, what was the point of trashing them during Season 4? Why couldn't they have grown apart organically out of their different views on college or the skeeviness of Kevin? I think they sped up their expiration date to get to a Brenda/Dylan and Kelly/Brandon hook up. They made it so ugly, just to repair the damage a few episodes later when Kelly and Dylan reconnect when he's in rehab. Again, this is why I tend to skip these episodes. My poor blood pressure! :(

Anyway, back to my point (I think I still have one :)), I don't think it was just guilt that motivated her. I think her telling Brandon that she wanted to be alone and needed space, then sneaking over to Dylan's at 2:00 am does speak to motives that are a little shady. Her response was for Dylan to get dressed and they'd go out for coffee before she saw the other woman, so I think she wanted to talk to him not just apologize for her lack of consideration. She knew he had been drinking before he found out that K/B were together, so I don't think she felt guilty for his relapse. I think she wanted to help him because she still cared about him, and part of her wanted to see if there was still something between them. I do agree with you that her "We are so over," was motivated by her own anger at herself for worrying about him. I just think it was tinged with anger for thinking that she might go back to him and feeling foolish when she saw what he was up to. I also think her "Are we even?" comment was telling. If she was over Dylan and completely in love with Brandon, why would she be hurt by him kissing some stranger? It should have been no biggie, like when Steve kissed Celeste in front of her.

I do think once Dylan went into a coma and rehab, both Kelly and Brandon were better friends to him. It's the part that came before it when he was falling apart that I don't like their attitude. If you see someone you care about hurting, you don't use it to put him down. I haven't seen the intervention episode in a while, but I don't think I cared for them in that either (although I loved Andrea mentioning him not visiting Hannah). After they realized how bad off he was when he nearly died, I think they improved remarkably.

I do think Dylan was a high maintainence kind of friend, and can see how Kelly and Brandon would find it tiring especially during a phase in their lives when everything was going great. But I think Dylan was a good friend to them when they needed it (Brandon's drunk driving, falling off the cliff, U4EA fallout, Kelly's near rape, her dad letting her down, her eating disorder and image problems), and I think it was a shame that they didn't return the favor with the same thoughtfulness Dylan had offered his help with.

The hostile and selfish way he treated Kelly towards the end of S4 was enough for her never to speak to him again, but he just returned from the summer assuming she'd be there for him.

I definitely agree that Dylan was a selfish jerk towards the end. I do think Kelly should have explained what was bothering her about Kevin and Suzanne, though. She was very passive aggressive with him. I think he thought she was jealous because it came across that way, when I don't think that was her actual problem. I don't think she liked the changes it was creating in Dylan, but she never articulated that and actually blamed Brenda for problems she wasn't causing. (I do think Brenda was coming on to Dylan in the kitchen scene and was ticked when Dylan didn't take the bait, but Kelly didn't know that! :)) By the time Dylan came back to town, Kelly and Dylan had broken up for the third time since high school ended. I don't think he saw it as permanent, but as a break because that had been their pattern for a while: fight, break up, get back together, make it work for a while, fight, etc. It's like when Brandon says that Kelly and Dylan were always fighting, Dylan corrects him that it was always complicated. ;) I think Kelly saw it like Brandon (at least at that point in time), that they didn't work out and couldn't get along while together, but Dylan saw it as a small piece of a bigger picture.

And taking Dylan out of it, I'm just irritated with Kelly in general. Those snotty faces that she was making at the Martins' and the comments about the debutante (have no idea how to spell it) lifestyle were driving me freaking crazy! How ironic that she refers to it as some kind of cult! Donna's not the one who has trouble getting out of cults. Better a Texas dip than a miledding! ;)

Marie Claudine

Marie Claudine

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 4:19 AM

It's the part that came before it when he was falling apart that I don't like their attitude.

With Brandon sitting with passed out Dylan, and Kelly checking on him in the middle of the night, I think they tried. But I don't blame them for not taking his shit lying down. Especially since he was an addict, in fact, because many (and Dylan belonged in that category) are quite abusive, and it doesn't help to let them be. They tried to get him to take responsibility, but didn't walk out of his life when he failed. Honestly, I think that's a mature way of handling things. I agree that Dylan had helped Kelly before, but he had also hurt her a lot. And Brandon had surely helped Dylan at least as much as vice versa, so it wasn't really like he owed him.

So, what was the point of trashing them during Season 4? Why couldn't they have grown apart organically out of their different views on college or the skeeviness of Kevin? I think they sped up their expiration date to get to a Brenda/Dylan and Kelly/Brandon hook up.

I agree: the break-up was unnecessarily ugly, and they did want that partner change by the end of S4. Brandon/Kelly were a good fit in my eyes, so I felt that they grew together organically and logically. But I get that mileage varies on that one ;-). As a Brenda lover, it somewhat relieves me that Dylan and Brenda hooked up again, but that this time she got to leave him ;-). In terms of the triangle, however, I think this return to Brenda gave an odd ring to everything that had happened there since S3.

If she was over Dylan and completely in love with Brandon, why would she be hurt by him kissing some stranger? It should have been no biggie, like when Steve kissed Celeste in front of her.

Dylan's "date" was obviously a prostitute, he rubbed up against her in front of Kelly and rambled about body shots, implying: "If you're not willing then I'll just get a prostitute, same thing - see, I'm fine now!" That was offensive, and I believe any female friend would have been offended by that. I think that's what "Are we even yet?" means: he has seen her with Brandon, and it offended him. So he gladly takes the chance to be as rude as he can be when she shows up. It's not about being so crazy about that woman in his living room, it's about showing Kelly that she can go eff herself.

I think Kelly saw it like Brandon (at least at that point in time), that they didn't work out and couldn't get along while together, but Dylan saw it as a small piece of a bigger picture.

ITA! That's what annoys me about him ;-). He was rude and hostile to Kelly when she had an opinion that differed from his (e.g., Maggie), he cut her off and didn't even let her finish a sentence. Major deal breaker! Then he comes back after sleeping first with Brenda and then with prostitutes all summer, probably collecting a nice little bouquet of STDs with the latter, and it's still a small piece in a bigger picture and he reserves the right to be mad that she didn't wait?

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 10:10 AM

ITA! That's what annoys me about him ;-). He was rude and hostile to Kelly when she had an opinion that differed from his (e.g., Maggie), he cut her off and didn't even let her finish a sentence. Major deal breaker! Then he comes back after sleeping first with Brenda and then with prostitutes all summer, probably collecting a nice little bouquet of STDs with the latter, and it's still a small piece in a bigger picture and he reserves the right to be mad that she didn't wait?

So true. As someone noted above, Kelly was very passive agressive though. Perhaps all her childhood turmoil with Jackie, etc., caused her to be reluctant to be confrontational directly. That said, her reactions to Erica, Suzanne, did seem more like petty jealousy than her sensing a scam. He was absolutely horrible to her about the Maggie/Brenda situation however. He dismissed her and treated her and her problems as if she were a petulant toddler "don't bother me with your petty crap". To me, the problem is Brenda was able to get in his face and risk big fights with him in order to drag out of him what he was angsting about. Kelly made snotty remarks and flounced off in the face of his bad behavior. This brings me to yet another thing that irks me about Dylan in general. He expected Kelly to take a back seat to the Scamily, i.e. if Kelly was having surgery and Erica had a hangnail guess who would have come first? Yet with Brenda he had no qualms about encouraging her to disregard her family and if necessary, lose them altogether. Kelly may have chosen herself that time but he chose himself every time. Witness how cruel he was to Brenda after the SOD. Look what an ass he was to Jim when he could have just complied with a few family rules (when Brenda was in HS) and not caused all that commotion. Surely he had to know what a bad position he was putting Toni in but he definantly insisted on taking her away from her father. Granted, I'm sure he thought any risk would be to himself but his actions were still rash and foolish.

Marie Claudine

Marie Claudine

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 12:12 PM

Kelly may have chosen herself that time but he chose himself every time.

Excellent point. There is this one time where he takes the back seat, and that's after the cult thing when he makes a point of doing the "noble thing" and letting Brandon and Kelly sort out their stuff without him meddling, but this lasts like three minutes before he's all up in their business with his soulmate/past life nonsense.

For all my hatred of the Wild West eppie though, Kelly's southern accent and her delivery of the line "Jedadiah loves the Good Book" cracks me up every time it's so phony. Among the episodes that are so bad they make me want to tear my hair out, at least this one is inadvertently funny. Can't say the same for Erica on the tracks in The Dreams of Dylan McKay. (Erica: "Dylan - help me!" Marie Claudine: "Someone - shoot me!")

smiley13

smiley13

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 2:21 PM

Hated that I caught the Emily Valentine episode again yesterday. Why is it that I miss the good episodes, but keep catching ones I don't like? It was beyond ridiculous that all of the guys were gaga over Emily. There was nothing to like about her. And it always bugged me that she gets brought back up over the course of the series.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

It was beyond ridiculous that all of the guys were gaga over Emily. There was nothing to like about her.

I don't know; Christine Elise is a cool cat - very much her own person - and I think some of that came through in Emily (pre-psycho shenanigans, of course). I could see the guys being intrigued by her because she was different and had a certain air about her they weren't used to (sort of what Nikki tried to have but couldn't pull off).

4Sibes

4Sibes

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 3:02 PM

I still wish Ms. Valentine had never croaked out a couple tunes.

jrs

jrs

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 3:42 PM

I had to fast-forward through most of the Elvis...I mean, Chris stuff. I did stop to watch the scene when Chris tells Ondrea, "if only you were five years older...or if I was five years younger." Very glad Wikipedia wasn't around when this first aired, because it took me less than a minute to ascertain that Gabrielle Carteris was born about three weeks before Michael St. Gerard.

Edited by jrs, Mar 25, 2012 @ 3:44 PM.

desertflower

desertflower

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 3:54 PM

I could see the guys being intrigued by her because she was different and had a certain air about her they weren't used to

Yeah, she was supposed to be the rocker/rebel girl, a character type we really hadn't seen yet at West Bev, so I can see why the guys were drawn to her, especially Dylan. I kind of dug her in the beginning, although I think they laid it on a little thick with the rebel persona, what with the leather jacket, motorcycle AND guitar. I don't understand why they insisted on her being a musician when she clearly didn't have much talent in that area. It might've worked better to make her an artist and show her painting or drawing all the time. Guess that's not rock and roll enough! :) I bet her guitar wasn't even real, she probably hollowed it out and kept her U4EA stash in there.

I did stop to watch the scene when Chris tells Ondrea, "if only you were five years older...or if I was five years younger."

I know, that is rich. Also, the scene where they are in his truck and he mentions how old he is and they laugh and laugh, and you can clearly see her crow's feet.

Marie Claudine

Marie Claudine

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 5:28 PM

It boggles my mind that anyone could be attracted to Chris Suitor after that initial monologue, which was the most boring intro ever. What did that have to do with theater, aside from being a sure way of chasing people from the theatre, even if it's an elementary school production with proceeds going to charity?

Yeah, she was supposed to be the rocker/rebel girl, a character type we really hadn't seen yet at West Bev, so I can see why the guys were drawn to her, especially Dylan.

Yes, I agree. To be honest, the actress looked a little manly to me, though. But then a lot of the "hot" girls on our show were a mystery to me. Of course in a world where Kelly and Donna are models, there is some room for strange phenomena. That said, I do like Christine Elise's half cheeky, half shy smile. In her first episode, I saw her appeal, but not really her supposed great looks, but she grows on me, at least until she returns in S4 and 5 with that horror of a hairstyle and the enormous coat.
And I'll take an episode with Emily over one with Nikki any day. Somehow Emily's bad singing bothered me less than Nikki's bad dancing.

Edited by Marie Claudine, Mar 25, 2012 @ 5:28 PM.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

I could totally see the guys being into her. For one thing- she was new! And she was different than all the other girls. She wasn't a great singer, but she certainly had confidence. And I think she was prettier than some of the other girls (including one regular).

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

I totally bought them being intrigued with Emily. She was "edgy" by comparison with her crazy cute haircut rather than long flowing locks and she wasn't obsessed with shopping and being popular so she was probably perceived as somewhat of a challenge, plus the being new thing. I thought she was attractive and interesting-looking when she showed up - later she was totally fug with that awful buster brown hair and that thing she wore on her head. How did they make an attractive girl hideous? Also agreed on Nikki - I always want to swat her, like an annoying gnat. All that grinding and bouncing is very disturbing. She came across more as a pitiful stalker than a hep, cool band groupie type.

I just saw the funniest thing ever. Was halfway watching GCB and one rich girl is told to get a job and comments she can't do anything, the only thing she ever did was teach debutantes how to do the Texas Dip. Yikes, I didn't know that was a real thing but guess it is!

Mommyof2Cuties

Mommyof2Cuties

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 10:42 PM

With Brandon sitting with passed out Dylan, and Kelly checking on him in the middle of the night, I think they tried. But I don't blame them for not taking his shit lying down. Especially since he was an addict, in fact, because many (and Dylan belonged in that category) are quite abusive, and it doesn't help to let them be. They tried to get him to take responsibility, but didn't walk out of his life when he failed. Honestly, I think that's a mature way of handling things. I agree that Dylan had helped Kelly before, but he had also hurt her a lot. And Brandon had surely helped Dylan at least as much as vice versa, so it wasn't really like he owed him.

I see your point, but them trashing Dylan behind his back to point out how wonderful Brandon was is just gross to me. It would be like if when Brenda found Kelly passed out on the floor from the diet pills, while getting Kelly help she pointed out that Kelly's insecurity issues and lack of confidence is exactly why Dylan should have chosen Brenda instead. You don't kick a friend when they're down and use it to your own advantage. That's what I feel Brandon did, and Kelly went along with it. It makes me doubt their intentions even when they are actually helping Dylan. I get mileage varies, though. :)

As a Brenda lover, it somewhat relieves me that Dylan and Brenda hooked up again, but that this time she got to leave him ;-). In terms of the triangle, however, I think this return to Brenda gave an odd ring to everything that had happened there since S3.

ITA with your second sentence. I feel ya on the first one, too. :) These feelings I've been having watching Kelly and Brandon's relationship blossoming give me all kinds of empathy for the Brenda and Dylan shippers and how it must have felt to watch Dylan turn to Kelly. I guess that's called Karma, huh? ;)

Dylan's "date" was obviously a prostitute, he rubbed up against her in front of Kelly and rambled about body shots, implying: "If you're not willing then I'll just get a prostitute, same thing - see, I'm fine now!" That was offensive, and I believe any female friend would have been offended by that. I think that's what "Are we even yet?" means: he has seen her with Brandon, and it offended him. So he gladly takes the chance to be as rude as he can be when she shows up. It's not about being so crazy about that woman in his living room, it's about showing Kelly that she can go eff herself.

I never realized she was supposed to be a prostitute! I just figured she was a cougar like Shadowcaster lady looking to have a one night stand. I am in full support of Dylan telling Kelly off with any means necessary, though. ;)

Kelly may have chosen herself that time but he chose himself every time. Witness how cruel he was to Brenda after the SOD. Look what an ass he was to Jim when he could have just complied with a few family rules (when Brenda was in HS) and not caused all that commotion. Surely he had to know what a bad position he was putting Toni in but he definantly insisted on taking her away from her father. Granted, I'm sure he thought any risk would be to himself but his actions were still rash and foolish.

Ooh, this is a good point! :) I've never thought of his patterns of choosing himself before! But I am going to defend him a little... Surprised? ;) I bet he had a bad habit of making his love interests prove their love to him by sacrificing, even when he did little sacrficing himself, because of his messed up childhood. He never had anyone who loved him more than they loved themselves before. His mom sold him to his father who wanted nothing to do with raising him. Having never had unconditional love from a parent (or grandparent or any family member), he went looking to these teenage girls to provide it. And when they failed (Except when they died!) he pushed them away even more with his negative behavior. :(

I had to fast-forward through most of the Elvis...I mean, Chris stuff.

Now that you've said that, I feel foolish that I never noticed the similarity before! Now I get why Brenda slapped Andrea over him... she was mesmerized by the "King" and his swiveling hips! ;)

I know this is a VERY unpopular opinion, but... I could totally see Donna being a model. She was skinny as can be and she had an unusual face. I don't think she could have been a traditional supermodel, but the ones that came afterwards that were a little different I can completely buy. Then again, I might be totally warped from watching America's Next Top Model and seeing some of the people Tyra insists have the makings of a successful model! :(

Marie Claudine

Marie Claudine

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 3:35 AM

I could totally see Donna being a model. She was skinny as can be and she had an unusual face.

That's interesting. You are right about the body, although I can't really imagine her face and S3 hair on a model. But mostly, it was the way she moved, I think. Donna wasn't very graceful by any means, she had this slightly stompy walk (not unlike Gina in those ridiculous shoes she always wore). I would expect a model to move well to the camera.

I see your point, but them trashing Dylan behind his back to point out how wonderful Brandon was is just gross to me.

They did that? Oops, I don't even remember. I only remember saying that he was being rude and a jerk and that that was how he treated people or something, which I can understand given that they were angry and fed up. From the way Dylan treated Kelly at the end of their relationship, I don't find it too unusual that Kelly was mad about how he had behaved and that he still expected her to run right back to him, so she bitched about him a little. It might not be perfect behaviour, but it is certainly a human thing to do!

I never realized she was supposed to be a prostitute!

Oh. You might be right. I just assumed that because Dylan was gross, unwashed and high that night - I assumed that any cougar could do better than him in an L.A. bar! He left the party at Donna's in the middle of the evening, maybe even a bit later; and by two a.m. they were already at his place doing body shots. Since Dylan had paid for prostitutes all summer, I expected that's what this was - especially since the lady looked a little ragged. But I could be wrong!

Lilac4381

Lilac4381

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 10:30 AM

He was absolutely horrible to her about the Maggie/Brenda situation however. He dismissed her and treated her and her problems as if she were a petulant toddler "don't bother me with your petty crap". To me, the problem is Brenda was able to get in his face and risk big fights with him in order to drag out of him what he was angsting about. Kelly made snotty remarks and flounced off in the face of his bad behavior. This brings me to yet another thing that irks me about Dylan in general. He expected Kelly to take a back seat to the Scamily, i.e. if Kelly was having surgery and Erica had a hangnail guess who would have come first? Yet with Brenda he had no qualms about encouraging her to disregard her family and if necessary, lose them altogether. Kelly may have chosen herself that time but he chose himself every time. Witness how cruel he was to Brenda after the SOD.

Agreed. Granted, I was in heaven when it first aired at how much tension was between them because of my Brenda/Dylan love but he really was a big ole' douche to Kelly for the entire latter half of season 4. Kelly was unreasonably cold towards Erica but I think the majority of her frustration with Erica was in large part to Dylan not making her a priority at all unless he wanted sex. After the John Sears breakup, I really think Kelly and Dylan were probably better off going their separate ways. Yes, the "pull" remained between them but their differences were far too great at that point to make their romance work. Once the retreat happened, I'd say both were checked out. When the breakup does finally occur, Kelly even admits that it was only sex holding them together. Till this day, I wish season 5 would have touched upon whether Kelly ever found out about Brenda and Dylan sleeping together. I don't think Brenda was set to leave for another week when the finale ended so I assume she and Dylan were together throughout the week.

Jen1n

Jen1n

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 10:45 AM

Gahh.. I guess I can't use the quote tags either..

Anyway, re: Emily, the only thing I can agree with is that she was new and therefore a "challenge".

I thought her hair was terrible and didn't find her all that attractive. (Putting on my poncho for my next comment..hold please)

The only time her hair looked good was when Brandon and her hooked up in San Francisco- (hated her beret though- what was that all about? Was she wearing it in preparation for her studies in France? lol) I won't even mention the hair she showed up with during the fire episodes..I don't even know what to say about that..

Of course, my initial hate was probably due to the fact that Dylan was interested in her when she first came on the scene, and I was afraid B/D wouldn't get back together. But, even after B/D reunited, I couldn't bring myself like the Emily character.

Edited by Jen1n, Mar 26, 2012 @ 11:19 AM.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

I liked Emily's hair when she first showed up. But, then I liked it on Zack Morris, too. I liked her at first and on rewatch this weekend, I was appalled at how mean and catty the girls were to her. She didn't know about Brenda/Dylan. They didn't tell her. Did they expect her to run all her dates by them? And just because a girl goes on the pill, they assume she's sleeping around? On the first date? Nice.

I also got the feeling that Dylan's date was a prostitute.

oxymoron417

oxymoron417

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 2:07 PM

I will always hate how nobody calls Kelly on fooling around on Dylan with Brandon and then during the whole bullshit with the trip around the world with Dylan while she's with Brandon, yet Val is the biggest slut that ever was? What the fuck ever.

I hate that scene with Donna and Kelly regarding what to do about Brandon vs Dylan. I think I probably would have told her that you know, she has a boyfriend so maybe she shouldn't be waxing philosophical about being with Dylan. Ugh.

Just let me know when her downward spiral begins. Also glad that she "chose [herself]" for all of five minutes until she met Colin.

Jen1n

Jen1n

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 4:19 PM

IMO the "Kelly on Coke" storyline is the best of S6. I love how it shows she's weak and vulnerable just like everyone else. It's a nice change from when B/K were together, all judgemental and uppity.

The rest of the season is ok, we have Susan, Prince Carl, and Colin's escapades w/Danny Five, (not sure if any of these are good or bad! YMMV of course) but it's not my favorite season by any stretch.

Mommyof2Cuties

Mommyof2Cuties

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 5:37 PM

You are right about the body, although I can't really imagine her face and S3 hair on a model. But mostly, it was the way she moved, I think. Donna wasn't very graceful by any means, she had this slightly stompy walk (not unlike Gina in those ridiculous shoes she always wore). I would expect a model to move well to the camera.

I figured they could fix her hair for modeling, but you're right about her not being graceful! I guess we can blame Dr. Martin for the clomping around she and Gina did! Or maybe not since they were cousins AND sisters! ;)

They did that? Oops, I don't even remember. I only remember saying that he was being rude and a jerk and that that was how he treated people or something, which I can understand given that they were angry and fed up.

There was this scene when they were registering for classes and Brandon says something that with all these relapses (or something) Dylan always has, he feels disgustingly wholesome. And then Kelly says, "You don't know how attractive that is," and Brandon says something about liking to hear it (or something). It just came across very mean-spirited to me, given that Dylan's life was falling apart. But I am bitter, and not a fan of holier-than-thou people in general. :)

Oh. You might be right. I just assumed that because Dylan was gross, unwashed and high that night - I assumed that any cougar could do better than him in an L.A. bar!

You're probably right. It just never occured to me. It makes sense now that you've said it, though. :)

I will always hate how nobody calls Kelly on fooling around on Dylan with Brandon and then during the whole bullshit with the trip around the world with Dylan while she's with Brandon, yet Val is the biggest slut that ever was? What the fuck ever.

I think Val took a lot of heat for being slutty that wasn't deserved. That was the least of her "sins." A bunch of people that have also cheated and two-timed shouldn't have taken shots at her for doing the same. Especially when they could have called her out for being a liar, user, and schemer instead. ;)

Jen1n, I can't use the quote thing either. I just put it in by hand. I hope they fix the bugs with the new format soon!

bitey

bitey

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 5:39 PM

I liked Emily's hair when she first showed up. But, then I liked it on Zack Morris, too. I liked her at first and on rewatch this weekend, I was appalled at how mean and catty the girls were to her. She didn't know about Brenda/Dylan. They didn't tell her. Did they expect her to run all her dates by them? And just because a girl goes on the pill, they assume she's sleeping around? On the first date? Nice.

I recently watched that episode and you're right, they were horrid to her. Especially Brenda. We've given her a lot of credit for being mature enough to put the brakes on her relationship with Dylan when it was getting too intense for her, but then she proceeded to act like that. I know she was upset because Dylan was moving on a lot faster than she had anticipated, but that's the risk you take when you break up with someone. But I think the worst part is that she didn't apologize until it was clear that Emily wasn't going to help them with that performance. As soon as that happened, and Kelly and Donna started getting pissed at her for scaring Emily off, she finally said she was sorry. But even then she threw an "I didn't mean it that way" in there.

Re: Chris Suitor and the Elvis connection- I think that actor played Elvis in a TV movie at some point in the late 80s or early 90s. (Never mind, IMDB says it was a 1990 series that lasted 13 episodes.)

Edited by bitey, Mar 26, 2012 @ 5:53 PM.

desertflower

desertflower

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 6:31 PM

Yeah, that guy who played Suitor was kind of the go-to guy when they needed an Elvis appearance in something. He was in the movie Great Balls of Fire (with Dennis Quaid) and I think he showed up in a few other movies/shows as well, in addition to the show bitey mentioned above. I was curious what happened to him and apparently he left show business in the mid 90's and is now a pastor at a church in Harlem! Interesting.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 6:59 PM

As a Brenda lover, it somewhat relieves me that Dylan and Brenda hooked up again, but that this time she got to leave him ;-).

Till this day, I wish season 5 would have touched upon whether Kelly ever found out about Brenda and Dylan sleeping together. I don't think Brenda was set to leave for another week when the finale ended so I assume she and Dylan were together throughout the week.

I don't know whether I never knew this because I had stopped watching by then or if I had simply forgotten about it, but my brain is taking the knowledge Brenda and Dylan got together again as news and thus doing a little dance of joy. I mean, not that I understand why Brenda would give him so much as the time of day after the shit he pulled with Kelly, and not that I'm invested in the Brenda/Dylan relationship (which I never thought should have been anything other than a nice little first love that ran its adolescent course), but I am invested in anything that pisses Kelly off since just listening to her pisses me off, so ... yay for Brenda granting Dylan a curtain call and then heading across the pond. Boo for Kelly potentially not knowing.

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 8:34 PM

Mommy - How do you manually use the quote thing? One of my computers is fine, but this one I can't use ANY of the stuff with. I've jacked around with it, removed popup blocker, allowed activeX, blah blah and it's pretty new but nothing helps.

Back OT, I can see Donna as a model, although she certainly did clump around. With her very natural thin but sort of athletic build and strong (if weird) bone structure she could have been a clotheshanger type model with somebody to do her up with ridiculous over the top makeup for those high fashion shoots where nobody really looks real. I don't buy Kelly for one second other than as a teen/ingenue model. She was too short, would be considered too heavyset, her legs weren't long and elegant. I had no problem with the college photo shoot as they were looking for pretty, natural looking coeds. But high fashion in NYC? Not buying.

Mommyof2Cuties

Mommyof2Cuties

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

Maxbird, At the start of whatever you want to put in the quote box, put these brackets [ ]and write quote in between them. At the end of whatever you want in the quote box, you do the same thing except you add a slash before you write quote (like this: [/quote]). I hope that helps! I haven't even tried to change my settings... I just keep hoping they'll fix it. :(

[quote]I had no problem with the college photo shoot as they were looking for pretty, natural looking coeds. But high fashion in NYC? Not buying.[/quote]
Same here. I think Kelly (and Jennie, obviously) is very pretty, but she couldn't do high fashion. I can totally buy her being voted most beautiful in high school, though. I think Celeste was probably the most traditionally beautiful girl they had on the show. I'm not sure who I'd say was the most traditionally handsome. Maybe firefighter Cliff or Brandon during the first couple of seasons or David during the last couple. I like how our show had lots of actors that looked like regular good-looking people, even though they didn't have much diversity outside of that. I've noticed on the soaps, that all the new hires are starting to look the same. :(

Marie Claudine

Marie Claudine

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 8:00 AM

But high fashion in NYC? Not buying.

Exactly, that was my main problem with this, too. As long as they did a piece on coeds at CU, she was a very good choice. But even if the New York gig had only been a college photo shoot, it wouldn't have made much sense to fly Kelly there and pay for her $$$$$$ stay over the summer. I am sure there are many fresh-faced, pretty girls in NY who could have filled her role - just like it made no sense that Donna eating pastry stood out from all the women and girls, local and international, that walk the streets of Paris all day. Maybe Kelly could have been a good cast for some TV commercials. Not Donna, though.
And I say that as someone who doesn't find Donna ugly, and who really thinks Kelly is very pretty.

I think Celeste was probably the most traditionally beautiful girl they had on the show. I'm not sure who I'd say was the most traditionally handsome. Maybe firefighter Cliff or Brandon during the first couple of seasons or David during the last couple.

I agree. And I would add Matt, I think. Matt annoys me so badly that most of the time I don't think of him as attractive, but Daniel Cosgrove sure is fine in a traditional way. And Vincent Young could be, too, but the wooden thing cancels out handsome for me, because handsome requires the ability to crack a real smile, not just a slow raising of the eyebrows and the corners of the mouth. Also traditionally handsome: Wayne. Unfortunately he, too, is sinfully boring.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 12:30 PM

There was this scene when they were registering for classes and Brandon says something that with all these relapses (or something) Dylan always has, he feels disgustingly wholesome. And then Kelly says, "You don't know how attractive that is," and Brandon says something about liking to hear it (or something). It just came across very mean-spirited to me, given that Dylan's life was falling apart. But I am bitter, and not a fan of holier-than-thou people in general. :)

(Thanks for the quote help, Mommyof2Cuties! Works better when you spell quote right.)

I didn't see it as mean-spirited. I'm sure it was a refreshing change from all the drama. Dylan was quite a jerk sometimes. And he seems to be one of those nasty drunks, one who gets even nastier when liquored up.

Traditionally handsome? Val's married accountant. Whatshisname? And the ones previously named.

Edited by Runningwild, Mar 27, 2012 @ 2:11 PM.

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

Eeew? Kenny Bannerman the accountant? I've not seen him in a long time but always found him reptilian - however, MMV. I thought the Val Pal (never ever can recall his name) was good looking and Gilly's evil brother. Brandon was adorable the first few seasons in that clean cut cute boy way. With the (much) older guys I've always been a fan of Rush, back to his C.C. Capwell days.

The body shots cougar was, I think, just a bar skank. When Jesse refused to serve Dylan she tried to buy booze for him (why? He looked like a street person at the time and acted worse and I doubt she knew he supposedly was rich). So I surmise she was one of those pitiful drunk women who will go home with whoever's left over at the bar at closing time. I guess she could have been a hooker though because I think she assumed Kelly might be there for a threesome or something.

Getting back to looks I loved that our girls were all pretty in very different ways - no cookie cutter barbies like on a lot of the newer shows. They were like people we all knew but prettier. Or just better done or something. I also liked how consistent they were with the moms - Felice stayed elegant and snooty looking, Jackie was glam even when respectable, Cindy was, well, Cindy.