Damnit, Dale: King of the Hill

• Please log in to reply

3016 replies to this topic

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:55 AM

There's a few I can't rewatch one of them, which was on last night, is the one where Hank find the indian arrow head and the professor from the University digs up his lawn.

I can rewatch it, but only because it's KotH, and I can rewatch pretty much any and all KotH even if it means fast forwarding through a few scenes along the way. ;) I'm totally in agreement about the arrowhead one being sub-par, though. And I can't understand why---I generally like episodes where they snark on ineffectual, hopelessly condescending academics and episodes where Hank admits to having (*gasp*) feelings for his family, even if only of the 'I'm jealous' sort. But something about this episode just didn't work, and left me with a hollow "yeah? so what?" feeling rather than the usual post-viewing "I love this show" giddiness.

On the bright side, this was followed by the one where Bobby becomes a male model for 'husky' boys' clothing, which I absolutely adore!

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:49 PM

Someone mentioned the Halloween episode, and that was shown just last night. I'm not sure if I liked the part where Hank encouraged Bobby to egg and TP Junie Harper's house, especially when Bobby was obviously so concerned about it. I know that Hank was just trying to re-live his childhood and the 'harmless' tricks they pulled, but he shouldn't have forced Bobby to do it when Bobby was clearly uncomfortable with it. But, Hank was sometimes oblivious to how to handle Bobby.

I did love the exchange between Junie Harper (Sally Field!) and Hank in the Hills' living room when she accused them of being Satanists:
'The complacency of fools will destroy them' -- Proverbs'
'Get out of my house!' -- Exodus

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:08 AM

'The complacency of fools will destroy them' -- Proverbs'
'Get out of my house!' -- Exodus

Hee---I love that as well. I also enjoy when hapless Carl notes that Junie Harper has "a point...and an attorney." There were so many great little lines and insightful jabs at fanatical, fear-mongering "religiosity" (and the people who make it more about their own power than whatever religion they claim to be practicing) in this episode. I also love how Hank, Bobby, Luanne, Bobby, Peggy and even Dale, Bill and Boomhauer are all integrated into the main storyline rather than the characters being splintered off into B and C plots. (I generally like that structure as well, but focusing more on one unifying storyline---Hillo/Halloween---is always a nice change of pace IMO.)

I'm not sure if I liked the part where Hank encouraged Bobby to egg and TP Junie Harper's house, especially when Bobby was obviously so concerned about it. I know that Hank was just trying to re-live his childhood and the 'harmless' tricks they pulled, but he shouldn't have forced Bobby to do it when Bobby was clearly uncomfortable with it.

I definitely get what you're saying, though I find myself liking the moments when uptight, responsible, obsessed-with-being-a-good-guy Hank is shown to be immature and flawed.

Junie Harper (Sally Field!)

So how embarrassing is it that I've seen this episode a ridiculous 15ish times and still had no idea before now that Sally Field voiced Junie Harper? Thanks for mentioning that!

Edited by MsTaken, May 4, 2012 @ 9:08 AM.

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:38 AM

Don't be embarrassed, MsTaken. I wouldn't have known either, except that the on-screen TV guide listed her name as being the voice of Junie (so I can't take any credit for that knowledge!).

I guess I do have to agree about how it's nice when Hank does 'loosen up' a little.

Paxton

Paxton

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 8:23 PM

I don't care for the arrowhead episode either--too much Peggy--but I like the bit where John Redcorn is lecturing Hank about how it's wrong to take something from another person and Nancy calls to him, causing him to move on from that topic.

It just occurred to me that Peggy is my least favorite character on "Mad Men" too, at least of the main cast--am I unfairly projecting based on how much I dislike Peggy Hill? Could be!

StinkPill

StinkPill

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

I didn't like the arrow head episode very much either. The Bluegrass Is Always Greener, and the episodes centered around The Manger Babies bugged me too. I can watch the episode where Bill loses his shit and dresses like Lenore over and over again. "Why do you keep calling me Bill?"

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

Gah... Manger Babies! Worst. Idea. Ever.

Last night I officially completed one full watch-through of the entire series... took me a few months, but I got there. And then I re-watched the pilot episode just for contrast. The show seemed like it was ready to end, kind of fading out... they had a few good eps towards the end but not as many real 'hits' as they had earlier on. And I was starting to get the disturbing notion that Joseph was a sexual deviant just waiting to happen to some unlucky girl.

lrdmordain

lrdmordain

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 8:27 PM

I saw the Buckely's Angel episode just recently and I never thought about it till now but...marrying Lucky can't have been what Jesus meant when he said Luann was meant for something better then beauty school. Maybe he meant having her daughter?

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 11:40 PM

To be fair, the entire Buckley thing was never followed up on like most Luanne plots and the entire thing with Lucky was done simply because Mike Judge needed an excuse to keep Tom Petty on the payroll so he could hang out with him on a regular basis.......

Jyn

Jyn

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 12:08 AM

I've been meaning to ask. How did Buckley die, anyway? And did anyone buy his relationship with Luanne? Because he never acted wholly interested in her as far as I could see.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 8:46 AM

How did Buckley die, anyway?

Wasn't he one of the casualties in the Megalomart explosion?

Jyn

Jyn

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 12:37 PM

I wouldn't know since I haven't seen most of these episodes.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

Wasn't he one of the casualties in the Megalomart explosion?

I think he was the only casualty, Luanne, Hank and Chuck Mangione were in the store at the time too, but they survived.

Jyn

Jyn

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 1:53 PM

How'd they all survive?

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 3:49 PM

Mangione and Hank were far enough away from the blast to survive it. Luanne was near Buckley when the blast happened and managed to survive it with the loss of her hair being the only long term damage.

Knowing what a sack of shit Buckley was, it would have been funny if he had grabbed Luanne to use her as a human shield against her will/so that she would die instead of him and that it backfired/that his actions ironically saved Luanne and cost him his own selfish life...

El Guapo

El Guapo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 6:56 PM

"Propane Boom," the Mega Lo Mart explosion episode, is one of my favorites; it has so many wonderful lines, and is terrifically insightful about the benefits and dangers of the big-box store. The local businesses being destroyed, the former business owners having to take crappy low-level jobs to survive and losing self-respect, all balanced against the crack-addiction to the great prices.

"Take your damn batteries. I don't want them. Bastards. Wow, you sure get a lot of batteries for four bucks."

Dang ol', man! The dang ol' Mega Lo Mart just went, dang ol' boom, man!
Sir, I can't understand you.
Dang...ol'...Mega Lo Mart...dang ol' boom, man.

And my favorite: when the protest banner is unveiled saying "Mega Lo Mart Destroys Local Businesses!!" Bill says: "Uh... is that their new slogan?"

However, as AS seems to be showing the first season again, I cant' wait for one of my favorites where the guys are firefighters. Love it and the Three Stooges homage at the end.

Yeah, that one's great, mostly because we find out that in Boomhauer's point of view, he's fully articulate and everyone else is speaking gibberish:

Dale: "Yeah, man, I tell you what, man, dang ol' detector, man, government take away freedom of smoke, talkin' 'bout yo, man."

Hank: "Yeah, man, I tell you what, man, dang ol' boy ain't right, man, talkin' 'bout kick your dang ol' ass, man."

Bill: "Dang ol' pretty, pretty pizza, man, I tell you what."

Floors me every time.

Edited by El Guapo, Jun 14, 2012 @ 7:07 PM.

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2012 @ 6:50 AM

However, as AS seems to be showing the first season again, I cant' wait for one of my favorites where the guys are firefighters. Love it and the Three Stooges homage at the end.

Possibly the only example in TV history of pantsing a corpse.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Jun 22, 2012 @ 5:46 PM

Maybe Luanne went on to do something better with her life post-series. It's possible. Not what I would consider likely, but possible.

I pretty much have this show on in the background whenever nothing good is on TV. Gotta love Netflix streaming.

Rdnzl

Rdnzl

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2012 @ 1:21 PM

My top 15 KotH episodes, just 'cause. These are in no particular order...

1. Plastic White Female
-I love this episode for being so over-the-top. Bobby has a "relationship" with a plastic head? Priceless. It also has one of the best Hank lines, when he stands in for Luanne's head and the beauty school instructor is tearing her apart: "What a bitch." It's such an un-Hank thing to say, but it's hilarious.

2. Texas City Twister
-Hank in mango pants. That alone makes the episode.

3. Hilloween
-Sally Field, Hank in his kiddie devil costume, Dale dressing up as a "scary" DC lobbyist? I'm sold. This one is a classic, and every bit as funny in reruns as it was the first time you watched it. "TOGA!!"

4. Pretty, Pretty Dresses
-My all-time favorite Bill episode. No one can have a breakdown quite like he does.

5. Return to La Grunta
-Hank getting humped by a dolphin cracks me up every single time.

6. Death and Texas
-I love how stupid and gullible Peggy is in this episode. The thought of her becoming a drug mule for an inmate is comedy gold.

7. Transnational Amusements Presents: Peggy's Magic Sex Feet
-Another great Peggy episode. I love Bobby's speech at the end about not caring what others think as long as you feel good about yourself. It's surprisingly touching.

8. Bobby Goes Nuts
-"I don't know you, that's my purse!"

9. Dang Ol' Love
-Boomhauer getting played? Awesome. Also, Bill welcoming female prisoners back to society with flowers and everything is so very Bill: "What were you in for?" "Killed my boyfriend." "Does that mean you're single?"

10. Full Metal Dust Jacket
-I love it when Peggy tries to be seen as an intellectual and ends up embarrassing herself. I also love it when Bobby develops a nerdy interest Hank disapproves of, like those dorky fantasy novels. It's a "quiet" episode, but I always re-watch it when it's on.

11. Pigmalion
-Hands down, my favorite Luanne episode. Michael Keaton was great as creepy Trip Larsen: "Each one has a tiny imperfection...drives me mad." Hee.

12. Phish and Wildlife
-I live in the Pacific Northwest, and I have to say that the hippies in this episode are spot-on. Oh, and you can't go wrong with Appleseed. LOVE that character.

13. Ms. Wakefield
-I just love the creepiness of Ms. Wakefield wanting to die in the Hill house, and the neighbors thinking Hank is cruel until he finally "allows" it at the Christmas party, and they all see just how weird it is. I used to work in a care home that had a resident named Mrs. Wakefield, so I always chuckled every time I read her name.

14. Yard, She Blows!
-I don't know if anyone else likes this one, but I always have. I love the simple plot, and, now that I think of it, I love Peggy episodes in general. There seem to be a lot of them on my list.

15. The Minh Who Knew Too Much
-The only Minh episode I can think of. I like her friendship with Dale and the gun-club guys, and the fact that she and Khan *finally* got into Nine Rivers Country Club.

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2012 @ 5:59 PM

I've been going through the series on Netflix too. There was a long series of episodes in season 7 that all consisted of "Bobby gets a weird hobby and Hank makes it competitive" plots that got really tiresome. Not that those episodes didn't exist before season 7, but these ones all consisted of really weird hobbies and inappropriate reactions from Hank. Dog dancing, organic gardening, rose growing . . . the dog dancing one was especially weird in a creepy way.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Jul 22, 2012 @ 6:02 PM

14. Yard, She Blows!
-I don't know if anyone else likes this one, but I always have. I love the simple plot, and, now that I think of it, I love Peggy episodes in general. There seem to be a lot of them on my list.

I love that episode; though the way Peggy treats Bobby really ticks me off. My mom has a deep love for garden gnomes, and one year I got her a replica of the Travelocity gnome for Christmas (full-sized), so maybe that's why it makes me laugh. I totally get how creeped out Hank is by Winklebottom.

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted Jul 25, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

Ha, I really love that episode too. The line that always gets me is when Hank goes to get a replacement Winklebottom and the woman there says she doesn't think he knows anything about garden gnomes, and Hank says "You got me; I'm not a dork.". Cracks me up every time.

bilski

bilski

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 26, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

King of the Hill is my second alternate world I live in as well.
Cheers to this thread and dedicated fans out there, love love love the show.
Want to snap Peggy Hill's neck, but all great shows have an antagonist.

Shh Shaww!!

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2012 @ 2:31 PM

Re-watching "Master of Puppets" last night (the one where Hank and Peggy lose track of time during Date Night), I realized the beauty of one line that perfectly sums up Hank's character for me:

"'Free iced tea with the purchase of any appetizer.' I'd sure like to take advantage of that."

It's the wistful voice used in the reading that does it.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

Re-watching "Master of Puppets" last night (the one where Hank and Peggy lose track of time during Date Night), I realized the beauty of one line that perfectly sums up Hank's character for me:

"'Free iced tea with the purchase of any appetizer.' I'd sure like to take advantage of that."

It's the wistful voice used in the reading that does it.

I took that as someone who is always looking for a bargain (which makes sense given how Hank was confirmed to be a skin flint with his dollar).

15. The Minh Who Knew Too Much
-The only Minh episode I can think of. I like her friendship with Dale and the gun-club guys, and the fact that she and Khan *finally* got into Nine Rivers Country Club.

I hate that episode; for all of the build-up, THIS is how they resolve the long-running subplot? And given the title of the episode, I would have preferred a plot where Ted Wasonasong (Crappy spelling) is blackmailed into giving the two membership by Minh (say, Minh catches Ted having an affair) and it culminating with a reveal that there are a lot of wife/husband swapping at the country club and Minh having to avoid Ted's mistress, who is married to a wealthy man and would soon as have Minh murdered than risk her exposing the affair. And for the whole thing ending with Khan having a heroic moment, rescuing Minh and rejecting the country club (and his hero worship of Ted Wasonasong) after realizing how corrupt it is with the swinging and wife swapping and such.

SnowDog

SnowDog

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2012 @ 3:00 AM

I don't know if Khan and Minh would be put off by swinging. I can't remember the episode (maybe the one with Carolyn, the drag queen who thought Peggy was a man) but Minh once made an excited comment "Oh, like a key party!"

Blixx

Blixx

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 4:24 AM

I cannot stand the Fourth of July episode where Bobby goes all nuts and thinks by destroying an Uncle Sam float and allowing his Parents and their friends 'believe' Heck Dorlan did was for the greater good /eyeroll. And then in the end Bobby comes clean (too little too late) and isn't even punished, he is rewarded with hugs and kisses for lying/omitting the truth and destroying Hank's property...oh I guess cleaning the mess off the street counts as punishment =/

JCScantling

JCScantling

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2012 @ 3:31 PM

Want to snap Peggy Hill's neck, but all great shows have an antagonist.

I 'get' the point of Peggy but I still can't stand her. I love it when an episode revolves around her being knocked down a peg or two.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2012 @ 8:26 PM

It's a funny thing, because in the first couple of seasons, Hank was the clear villain. It was though someone (Fox maybe) told him that he has to make Hank less of an asshole and the subsequent shifting of dynamic with Peggy becoming an asshole while Hank takes over her role as the good parent.

superboy

superboy

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 7, 2012 @ 11:29 PM

I disagree, I think it ended with both of them being terrible parents. Bobby is going to need a serious amount of therapy when he grows up thanks to his terrible father.