Damnit, Dale: King of the Hill

• Please log in to reply

3016 replies to this topic

Readster

Readster

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 12:14 PM

We've gots tons of loose ends on King of the Hill. What the hell Peggy's mother was so belittling of her, we know why with Cotton, how he was raised. Where is Peggy's supposed brother and father? What about Bill's folks or Dale's mother? Why is Peggy so obsessed with Mexico? What really got Hank into Propane, how the hell has Mr. Stricklen stayed in business this long, when he is a complete dumb ass? What about the non exploding La Bomba fire cracker in Mexico? Where did Mrs. Kahn go, last time we check she was still living with the family.

painter

painter

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 12:50 PM

Peggy's mother is just plain mean, same as Cotton. Their vicious parents is one of the things that Hank and Peggy have in common.

Bill's a transplanted Louisianan, his parents probably went back there.

Peggy's folks are in Montana, except for her brother who is living on an offshore oilrig in fear of his ex-wife (Luanne's mom.)

Peggy isn't obsessed with Mexico in any way I can tell.

Hank got into propane because Mr. Strickland charmed him away from Jeans West.

Strickand Propane stays in business by gouging their customers.

The firecracker was a dud.

Minh is doing fine, although she misses her husband on his long commutes.

roosterboy

roosterboy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 12:50 PM

Wasn't Hank working at a clothing store when he was hired by Strickland? And so his love of propane came from working with it rather than the other way around? Or am I remembering it wrong?

JHeaton

JHeaton

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 1:26 PM

I think Readster was asking about Khan's mother, Leoma, not Minh.

(BTW, Readster, Khan is Khan's first name. His last name is Souphanousinphone.)

Edited by JHeaton, Jan 7, 2004 @ 1:29 PM.

painter

painter

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 1:45 PM

"So Mr. Kahn*, are you - uh - Chinese or Japanese?"

* I think that's the right spelling

Oh, right, Laoma. I figure she's just in that shadowy netherworld of guest characters. I would kind of like her to be a recurrer, though.

JHeaton

JHeaton

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 3:25 PM

Painter, you're correct about the spelling of Kahn's first name. Or so the official site claims.

Edited by JHeaton, Jan 7, 2004 @ 3:48 PM.

jw7579

jw7579

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 6:11 PM

[QUOTE]Peggy's mother is just plain mean [QUOTE]

I have always assumed that while Peggy was treated poorly by her mother, her brother was the favored child, the "goldenchild", if you will. I wonder if we'll ever find out if this is the case.

painter

painter

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 7:21 PM

Heh - come to think of it, that might make a good episode: Mother Platter meets Cotton Hill and the two bond over their crushing dissappointment in their own children - but when this starts to extend to their kids' choice in mates (ala "Hank's Wife"), they suddenly become fiercely protective.

Yeah, I like where this is going.

Readster

Readster

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 7:25 PM

We know that Peggy's parents split up a while ago just like Hank's. Just wondering if we'll ever see Peggy's brother or her father. I mean we met Dale's. And what I really meant to say was what is Peggy's obsession withe Spanish culture and language. She is always trying to prove she knows the Spanish like the back of her hand when she clearly doesn't. Of course she's been shown she can't but she still goes on.

painter

painter

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 7:29 PM

Well, that's just ego. And of course, she's not nearly self-aware enough to realize how badly she understands spanish, as shown in her 'kidnap' episode, her 'interview for Mrs. Arlen' sequence, etc. etc..

giebergoldfarb2

giebergoldfarb2

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 8:14 PM

I don't know what the plot of it is, but Peggy's mom will be coming to visit again in season 9 in an episode called "A Rover Runs Through It" (all I know is the title and the fact that Peggy's mom visits in it and that it will air in season 9).

And Peggy knows her Espanol is perfect because she can roll her "r"s. Listen! Rrrr! Rrrr! That's the key to perfect Spanish.

Edited by giebergoldfarb2, Jan 7, 2004 @ 8:14 PM.

tinasdad

tinasdad

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 12:22 AM

Peggy's mom will be coming to visit again

Again? Has she visited before?

I agree that one of the more subtle jokes about Peggy is how she's always so careful to roll her r's and say "Mehico" instead of "Mexico", but her Spanish is so terrible. One of my favorite episodes is the one about Peggy's crappy Spanish, when she kidnaps the little Mexican girl by mistake.

Readster

Readster

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 12:42 AM

Last time Peggy's mom visited was during the second season when she was Bobby's secret Valentine which was way to creepy for even King of the Hill. She's been on the phone several times, belittling Peggy more then we've seen Cotton do it to Hank's face. Thanksgiving episode with the smoke turkey is one example.

meknownothing

meknownothing

Stalker

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 11:02 AM

No matter how many times I see the Mexican courtroom scene where Peggy defends herself in Spanish, I always LMAO.

And, as to Peggy's mom, she also showed up belittling Peggy in the flashback to Hank & Peggy's high school days, where Peggy tries to cook Hank a dinner, but is saved when Hank contracts mono from a soda cup and can't come over to eat. And that's his story, and he's sticking to it. Well, until Peggy comes up with conflicting documentary evidence and a confession from the girl involved. Hey, there's a potential story: Peggy runs for D.A. based on her investigative and deductive abilities. And her Spanish.

Edited by meknownothing, Jan 8, 2004 @ 11:03 AM.

Snowberry

Snowberry

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 2:46 PM

Aren't Bill's parents dead? I thought he mentioned it in the episode where he goes back to play for the highschool ffotball team.

Jarret

Jarret

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 3:58 PM

Yes, Bill's parents are dead. When he rejoined the Arlen High football team, he asked the kids at the pep rally "where's the party tonight -- whose parents are out of town?" Hostile silence. "Hey -- my parents aren't even alive! Party at my place!"

All quotes guaranteed inaccurate.

Don't remember who said Peggy's parents have split up, but my question is how do we know this? I don't remember it being said.

giebergoldfarb2

giebergoldfarb2

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 10:23 AM

The next episode is on Jan. 25 -- "Ceci N'est Pas Une King of the Hill": Peggy designs a sculpture that is picked up by an art dealer from Dallas, who publicizes her as an uneducated hillbilly.

And here are some of the episodes we can expect in the rest of the season (note: turns out "Girl You'll Be a Giant Soon" has nothing to do with Connie)

"That's What She Said" - A new co-worker (Ben Stiller) makes Hank so uncomfortable with his off-color jokes that Hank decides to sue for sexual harassment.
"Cheer Factor" - Peggy becomes coach of the high school football cheerleading squad, and devises an aggressive new cheer that leads to her being accused of a hate crime.
"Apres Hank, Le Deluge" - Arlen experiences a flood.
"My Hair Lady" - Luanne and Bill both get jobs at a fancy hairstyling salon. (Guest star, Christina Applegate)
"The Redneck on Rainey Street" - Kahn decides to give up overachieving, and starts hanging out with a redneck gang (guest stars, Tom Petty and Trace Adkins)
"The Unbearable Lightness of Being Hank" - Hank is suspected of abusing workman's compensation. (guest star, Johnny Depp)
"Girl You'll Be a Giant Soon" - Hank and Luanne protest a no-propane rule at the Texas State Fair Grill-Off, but campus radicals take over the protest and turn the whole fair into an anti-globalization rally. (Guest stars, Eljah Wood and "Dax" from Punk'd).

Edited by giebergoldfarb2, Jan 10, 2004 @ 10:36 AM.

Readster

Readster

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 1:54 PM

Now I get the title of "Girl you'll soon be a Giant." Refers to being on top of the world and controlling others.

painter

painter

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 6:09 PM

Uh-oh - the outsider art episode ("Mom and Pop Art") was The Simpsons' last hurrah - in my world, at least.

tinasdad

tinasdad

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 9:12 PM

Whoa, I like the idea of Peggy running for office. That's even better than the idea we were kicking around a while ago to have Buck Strickland run for city council.

painter

painter

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 12:25 AM

Peggy has already run for office. School board.

giebergoldfarb2

giebergoldfarb2

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 7:44 PM

"The Wedding of Bobby Hill" was on today. Rad Thibodeaux (pronounced "Thi-ba-day-ocks") is so industry.

Rad: "Enjoy the music and the free food."
Hank: "I will not!"

tinasdad

tinasdad

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 10:24 PM

Question for the group:

What is Boomhauer's job?

ciscokidinsf

ciscokidinsf

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 2:31 PM

Johnny Depp, Tom Petty? wow... KotH is sure getting some nice guests, almost as good as The Simpsons (my favorite still is Snoop Dogg)

Boomhauer's job? He is a LINUX programmer:

Talk 'bout dan ol' Linux man... Just git... CD tray...
boot LILO install www dot red 10 gallon hat dot com man
talk 'bout... get dang ol' Bill gates underware in a
bind man... know what I mean... toss... dang 'ol 95 in
a dumpster man.

Just kidding. No clue, probably a Gigolo (someone has to compete w/ John Redcorn) But you can find some real boomhauer quotes in this super-fan websiteHERE

Enjoy!

giebergoldfarb2

giebergoldfarb2

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 7:47 PM

Didn't Boomhauer say in one episode (the focus group one, I think) that he gets, or got, workman's compensation? That would mean he has had a job at some point. But it's like his first name (officially "Jeff" but never mentioned on the show) -- the guy's mysterious. That's what makes him cool. Just like Ozzie Nelson was cool.

painter

painter

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 8:35 PM

I think I remember something about workman's comp, too. I've also read somewhere (can't recall exactly where or when) that he works in a barbed-wire fencing factory and the volume of the machinery has deafened him, accounting for his distinctive speech patterns.

dconner

dconner

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 9:08 PM

I think it's unspecified exactly how or why, but that Boomhauer lives off a workman's compensation settlement.

Incidentally, there's a bit of a continuity error in Hank's pre-Strickland work experience. In the "Asian Country Club" episode, Hank tests the membership committee guy to see if he's really interested in Hank as a person or as a "token."

He asks something like "Answer me this question: I sell *what* and *what* accessories for a living?"

And the guy guesses, something like "trucks" or "tractors" or "cars", I forget which.

Then Hank remarks something along the lines that the guy's guess *was* an accurate description of what he was selling in the pre-Strickland days (but he still didn't think the guy knew that.)

tinasdad

tinasdad

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 12:07 AM

I thought Hank had mentioned in one episode that he sold tractors.

To be fair, that isn't necessarily a continuity error. They haven't told us precisely when Hank hired on with Strickland Propane; he could have sold tractors AND sold jeans.

beanzilla

beanzilla

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 7:11 AM

I am relatively new to KoTH, but I am hooked!. I loved how usually unemotional Hank was talking to Ladybird on the phone while in Japan and was all "I miss you". And again last night when Ladybird chased away Bandit the raccoon, Hank went into the garage turned on all his power tools and had a good cry.

meknownothing

meknownothing

Stalker

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 11:22 AM

Concerning the Japan episode, did the dilemma of Luanne's duplicate Ladybirds ever get resolved on screen? Or are we supposed to think that Hank believed Luanne's clone story?