Damnit, Dale: King of the Hill

• Please log in to reply

3016 replies to this topic

painter

painter

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2003 @ 9:50 PM

I can't believe I missed a Texas Rollergirls event with Mike Judge!

(whacks self in head repeatedly)

jw7579

jw7579

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 2:52 PM

"Girl, You'll Be a Giant Soon,"

Judging by that title, it sounds like that not only is Connie going to have a growth spurt, but she going to be taller than Joseph.

Speaking of Joseph, are he and Bobby still friends? They havent been in an episode together all season so far.

Edited by jw7579, Jan 1, 2004 @ 2:52 PM.

painter

painter

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 12:19 AM

I'm watching the tainted beer episode. It has one of my favorite visual gags; Peggy's swagger as she flashes her Alamo beer ID.

Also a great "Yup" gag, right at the start, when Hank Dale and Boomer are standing around beerless waiting for Bill and they start repeating themselves.

I love "Yup" gags.

painter

painter

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 1:30 AM

"That part is over now."

"Why?"

"Chicken thigh."

* sniffle *

tinasdad

tinasdad

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 8:51 PM

OK, I have Season Two on DVD now. What are the easter eggs?

Readster

Readster

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 9:03 PM

Yeah, I think Connie is going to have a growth spurt and be taller then Joesph too. Speaking of which Joesph has been really side tracked this season. Add in his testorome attitude and beating up Dale and then that look with Hank. He hasn't really done much and poor Bobby, only kid on the show who never changes.

painter

painter

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 9:48 AM

According to Zap2it, a new episode tonight and no fear of football pre-emption!

Kasha

Kasha

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 10:49 AM

OK, I have Season Two on DVD now.  What are the easter eggs

http://www.dvdtalk.c...read.php?ID=231

drew21

drew21

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 6:55 PM

I haven't been watching King of the Hill since that christian/rock/punk ep. Not for any particular reason I just haven't. So there's a new ep tonight? Great! That whole growth-spurt thing sounds cool. That's what I like about KoTH, the kids aged, until a couple years ago, or am I just imagining that? Didn't they start out in the fifth grade and work their way up to the eighth?

And I got another little question, is anyone else getting entirely sick of Bobby? I'm holding out for the episode where everytime Bobby opens his mouth, he gets killed.

Sae

Sae

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 7:23 PM

Ok I'm not gunna read all 60 pages of this thread so if this has already been said oh well. Did anyone know that Hank's dad and Con or however you spell it are voice acted by Artie from Pete&Pete?

Ruvane

Ruvane

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 8:20 PM

If you're not going to read the thread, at least don't announce that you didn't. It's rude to those of us who do follow the rules, and doesn't make us want to answer your questions.

Readster

Readster

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 8:26 PM

Just when you think Bobby can't go any further and Hank can't be more embarrised about something. We get money issues. Truth is, I've really wonder how Hank and Peggy make it when she's been a subsitute teacher for what amost 20 years, you think she would of found full time statis by now. As for Hank, just when he thinks he's teaching Bobby a valuable lesson, he goes completely half ass about it.

Navin

Navin

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 8:39 PM

I don't mean to nitpick, but would a propane man like Hank really let his wife cook a steak on the stove? Maybe his second puberty clouded that part of reality.

tinasdad

tinasdad

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 11:01 PM

I don't mean to nitpick, but would a propane man like Hank really let his wife cook a steak on the stove?

Hank's not opposed to using a stove. Grilling with charcoal, however, is grounds for divorce. "What's it going to be, Peggy--charcoal, or me?"

Truth is, I've really wonder how Hank and Peggy make it when she's been a subsitute teacher for what amost 20 years, you think she would of found full time statis by now. As for Hank, just when he thinks he's teaching Bobby a valuable lesson, he goes completely half ass about it.

As we have seen, Peggy is incompetent, and not the brightest soul. I think this explains why she's not a full-time teacher. Hank and Bobby--yeah, Bobby really does need to go to a reform school or something. But Bobby needs to do goofy stuff to keep the show going. The main theme behind King of the Hill is straight arrow Hank Hill and his difficulties with his loopy friends and family.

painter

painter

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 11:41 PM

Love Bobby's "bling-bling" fantasy sequence. More to say, will edit it in tomorrow when I'm not so tired.

kwnyc

kwnyc

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 10:38 AM

Yet Bobby's saving grace is that he really does care what Hank thinks about him and wants his approval. With their fear of money talk (Hank & Peggy would rather Bobby see them making out than paying the bills!) it's no wonder a kid with an imagination like Bobby's would make up a story about Hank being rich. I loved the kid talk about crazy rich people (yay Joseph! yay Connie!), and how at the end, Hank decided to keep the jet ski for awhile, and when given the chance, Bobby actually grasped the concept of debt/high interest payments.

(And John Red Corn dumping his older woman for a chance to hit up Hank for seed money for his holistic old folks home was hysterical).

tinasdad

tinasdad

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 11:03 AM

John Redcorn becoming a gigolo was both funny and disturbing.

ciscokidinsf

ciscokidinsf

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 11:42 AM

Can't blame John Redcorn on having long-term plans for a holistic center! And yes, a career as Gigolo is a bit Jarring.

JHeaton

JHeaton

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 12:09 PM

yeah, Bobby really does need to go to a reform school or something.

Nah. The stunt with the credit card was bone-headed, but he's not a bad kid. And Hank would never send Bobby to reform school; he'd view it as admission that he'd failed to bring him up right.

painter

painter

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 12:26 PM

You seem to have forgotten that Hank DID send Bobby to a reform school - or at least he tried to.

Anyway, much as I loved the fantasy sequence, I thought this episode showed some serious danger signs. For starters, it is a bit of a retread of the great 2nd season episode where Bobby goes to work for Jimmy Witchard at the NASCAR track. Not totally, since the main plot there was getting Bobby to see when the time is right to stand up for himself against an abusive boss, and on the flipside to get Hank to trust Bobby a little more instead of being blinkered by his own work ethic, but still - they've done the "Teach the boy the value of a dollar" bit before.

Secondly, the fantasy sequence itself is a bit of a danger sign. One of the really charming things about KotH is that it hasn't veered off into bizarre/stupid subplots like Family Guy and latter day Simpsons. But the Simpsons started on that route by having these kinds of fantasies play out in the minds of the family - especially Lisa and Homer. When audiences reacted very positively to the psychedelic whimsy, it began to take over the show until we finally ended up with Jockey Gnomes and rhinos hatching from eggs (also Homer eating potato chips to "The Blue Danube, so it wasn't all bad, but you get my point.) Anyway, although KotH has done stuff like this before, with Hank passing out from varnish fumes and Peggy dreaming of Hell, this seemed different somehow. It was hilarious, and totally in character, but I do hope the writers can keep it to a minimum.

That said, the end of the show, contrasting the spoiled rich kid with the newly humble Bobby was great, especially the short bit where Bobby offers to shine the Jet-ski for the brat, and it pushes Hank right over the edge. If there was ever a time for Bobby to remember his self-defense training, that was it. What a little shit that kid was!

giebergoldfarb2

giebergoldfarb2

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 12:48 PM

This episode (which I thought was OK but not up to the similar "Life in the Fast Lane") was actually another leftover from season 7. And the writer of this episode, Etan Cohen, always seems to write in fantasy sequences; he also wrote "Vision Quest" (Bobby as a panda) and the first part of the Japan episode (the guys' fantasies in John Redcorn's sweat-tent). Maybe because he used to write for Beavis & Butt-head.

painter

painter

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 1:56 PM

Oh yeah, it was definitely good to see John Redcorn again, but I sure thought he'd be too sensible to believe rumors that Hank is secretly a millionaire. I'm kind of glad to know that he's up to his old...um...tricks.

JedimasterElvis

JedimasterElvis

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 2:06 PM

kwnyc

Yet Bobby's saving grace is that he really does care what Hank thinks about him and wants his approval.

That's what struck me about Bobby's bling-bling fantasy. Right before they dove into their adjoining pools, Hank says to Bobby: "Well done, son".

Castallack

Castallack

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 3:09 PM

Did anyone catch the KotH reference in last night's Simpsons? It happens when Bart and Lisa are struggling for the remote at the beginning of the ep. One of the channels they flip to has a Hank sound-alike saying something about Bobby and propane and his urethra. Can't remember the exact quote but it gave me a chuckle.

Navin

Navin

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 3:10 PM

When I saw the name Etan Cohen in the credits I first thought one of the Coen brothers was a guest writer for that episode. I would love to see a Coen Brothers written KOTH.

painter

painter

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 3:18 PM

I'm sitting here grinning and giggling at the thought of Peggy speaking the line "That rug really held the room together."

JedimasterElvis

JedimasterElvis

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 3:21 PM

Castallack

Did anyone catch the KotH reference in last night's Simpsons?

HA! I did but forgot about it until you reminded me. The other night my local UPN affiliate ran a Simpsons rerun that parodied the KotH opening sequence.

Microprosa

Microprosa

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 4:18 PM

"There's propane in my urethra, Bobby!"

JedimasterElvis

JedimasterElvis

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 4:26 PM

Of course, Hank & family actually show up in the Simpsons ep where Homer's coaching pee-wee football ("We drove all the way here for this?")

meknownothing

meknownothing

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 11:49 AM

Talking about loose ends, isn't there a herd of wild emus on the loose in Arlen?