Boy Meets World

• Please log in to reply

1135 replies to this topic

CloudyGumdrops

CloudyGumdrops

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2005 @ 11:00 PM

Hee, I may be the only one, but I wanted Shawn and Topanga together.

I didn't like Rachel or Angela much. I did like Jack though. I also liked Harley from the first couple of seasons. He was the biker guy.

I much preferred Eric with longer hair. Eric always was my fave character. Cory was my least fave.

Nflux Forever

Nflux Forever

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2005 @ 11:10 PM

Eric always was my fave character. Cory was my least fave.

I concur. Will Friedle always did a great job of selling Eric and all of his wackiness and eccentricities while Cory's "Old man at 20 Years Old" Schtick became quickly tiresome.

Edited by Nflux Forever, Apr 10, 2005 @ 11:10 PM.

bodwod

bodwod

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2005 @ 12:16 AM

I thought they both did a pretty good job of selling their two totally different kinds of wacky. I thought Will Friedle was great all-round with his over the top wacky whereas Ben Savage would even out and then hit it home with brilliant delivery of a one-liner.

shamoogity

shamoogity

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2005 @ 1:32 AM

I've been watching reruns lately and I'm struck by how many jokes there are in the early episodes that I never would have understood at the time. Like in the one where Cory cheats on the IQ test and they want to send him to genius school, Minkus is jealous and Shawn (I think) says it's "Genius envy". Or in the same episode where Cory discovers that the only sport at the new school is chess and he says that he's going to spend his recess "searching for Bobby Fisher".

I also recently just saw the one with Jonathan Jackson where Cory and Topanga get back together. I loved Angela in the art gallery scene. She has great delivery in the part where she says he's so cute that she forgets her name and she introduces herself as "Nancy or something".

In that same plotline, the ski resort episode shows Topanga wearing Ugg boots way before they were cool.

Arielleira

Arielleira

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2005 @ 6:46 AM

Marcia Cross from Melrose and Desperate Housewives played Rhiannon, Topanga's mother, on the tail end of the show. She was getting divorced when Topanga and Cory were getting married.

God, how many people played her? I think I different person every time she was on. (Which actually wasn't very often.) Because I specifically remember Annette O'Toole playing her on the episode where Topanga found out that they were getting divorced. (And Michael McKeon was her father.)

roosterboy

roosterboy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2005 @ 11:34 AM

I'm not 100% sure about Topanga's mother, but at least three actors played her father: Peter Tork, Michael McKean, Mark Harelik.

I do think, though, that Annette O'Toole and Marcia Cross were the only ones who played her mother.

Phenobarbara

Phenobarbara

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2005 @ 12:16 PM

Hee, I may be the only one, but I wanted Shawn and Topanga together.

I did too, actually. Corey was a whiny baby who seemed to hate it when Topanga did anything that he perceived was better than him. Shawn didn't seem to have that hang up. Or at least I don't think he did. In another thread (TV moments that anger the blood), a couple of people posted how Corey reacted in such a sexist way when Topanga was better at something, or had a better opportunity. Shawn didn't strike me as that type of person.

Edited by Phenobarbara, Apr 11, 2005 @ 12:17 PM.

ladero

ladero

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2005 @ 12:32 PM

Eric always was my fave character. Cory was my least fave.

I enjoyed Eric's character more in the beggining when he was the cool older brother, but later the silliness was just too much to handle. However I did love his drawn out Feeny's and and when in the "lose one friend, lose all friends, lose self" epi he tried to say Feeny's name that way but could manage to get it out.

I liked Cory, but then I'm the type to stick by the lead character no matter what, see my attachment to Dawson Leary and hope for a Dawson/Joey pairing.

RainIsBeautiful

RainIsBeautiful

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2005 @ 12:55 PM

Corey reacted in such a sexist way when Topanga was better at something, or had a better opportunity. Shawn didn't strike me as that type of person.

That drove me bananas too -- and it still pisses me off that they had her propose to him. They were practically children!!!

Speaking of children, Topanga and Jack would have made cute babies. Just saying. ;)

MaileSkye

MaileSkye

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2005 @ 2:32 PM

In another thread (TV moments that anger the blood), a couple of people posted how Corey reacted in such a sexist way when Topanga was better at something, or had a better opportunity.

I think it was more that Topanga was better at EVERYTHING.

RainIsBeautiful

RainIsBeautiful

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2005 @ 2:45 PM

Bingo, MaileSkye. The entire show was built on the premise that Cory was just an average kid. Shawn wasn't quite as bright as Cory, and Topanga just happened to be smarter than all of them. I'm just glad they didn't dumb Topanga down later in the show.

Phenobarbara

Phenobarbara

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2005 @ 4:39 PM

IIRC, didn't she give up Yale in order to marry Corey? I hated that so much.

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2005 @ 5:13 PM

And didn't Topanga turn down some big job offer (in New York?) near the end of the series so she and Cory could stay in the same area? I hated that, too.

RainIsBeautiful

RainIsBeautiful

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2005 @ 5:28 PM

IIRC, didn't she give up Yale in order to marry Corey?

Yeah...not her best decision ever.

And didn't Topanga turn down some big job offer (in New York?) near the end of the series so she and Cory could stay in the same area?

I thought the series ended with the two of them moving to New York when she got her job offer?

Looking back, so much of what went on was horribly illogical. Why was this Must See TV for me? Sheesh.

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2005 @ 5:44 PM

This is what TV Tome has to say about the finale:

In the clip-filled finale, Cory wrestles with his fear of moving to New York for Topanga's internship, triggering—in flashbacks—a host of memories. When he finally opts to take Manhattan, it turns out that Shawn, Jack and Eric have all made big moving plans of their own. But before anyone leaves town, the crew makes one last stop: Mr. Feeny's classroom. There, they bid an emotional farewell to their mentor, who offers them one last bit of advice before they go out and meet the world.

Whoops! Guess I was wrong. Carry on.

ambystone

ambystone

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2005 @ 10:16 PM

Did anyone else completely loath not only Shawn and Angela together, but Angela in general? I think she's one of the worst characters ever. Bitchy, annoying and attitudinal [is that a word?]. I hate how she was the one black character on the show and they had to make her all "sassy".

I thought Angela and Shawn were adorable, but I thought the woman who played Angela was a crap actress.

roosterboy

roosterboy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2005 @ 10:29 PM

And didn't Topanga turn down some big job offer (in New York?) near the end of the series so she and Cory could stay in the same area?

I thought the series ended with the two of them moving to New York when she got her job offer?

Okay, I'll have to dig out my tape of the finale to check, but I believe Topanga was going to give up the job and Cory was fine with that until he had a talk with Feeny and realized that she had to take it. He then talked her into going to NYC.

I think.

Phenobarbara

Phenobarbara

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2005 @ 10:35 AM

He then talked her into going to NYC.

Yes. In the goodbye scene with Mr. Feeny, Corey mentions that he talked Topanga into moving there, and Feeny was pleased. Corey admitted he was scared and Feeny gave him advice, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Thena

Thena

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2005 @ 2:13 PM

I thought Angela and Shawn were adorable, but I thought the woman who played Angela was a crap actress.

I agree even though Shawn played off of her pretty well considering, I wish they had found a better actress. I liked the character, but she could have been better expanded upon. But of course, at this point in the series, I had a minor Shawn crush, and I was glad they were giving him a regular female opposite at this point.

Edited by Thena, Apr 12, 2005 @ 2:14 PM.

Lambtard

Lambtard

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2005 @ 4:42 PM

I hated Angela. Nothing ever satisfied her.

Becka

Becka

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2005 @ 10:26 PM

I hated Angela. Nothing ever satisfied her.

EXACTLY. Good way to put it. I'm glad I'm not completely alone in disliking her a hell of a lot because it seems like everyone else here lieks her just fine. It was like no matter what Shawn did she had a problem with something about it. And breaking up with him and getting back together with him largely based on Corey and Topanga was bullshit.

DitzyMuffin23

DitzyMuffin23

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2005 @ 4:10 PM

And breaking up with him and getting back together with him largely based on Corey and Topanga was bullshit.

Okay I will concede that was stupid beyond belief, but I credit that more with lazy writing than anything else and the fact that since the writers already had Shawn play a role in Cory and Topanga's last break up ( i.e. trying to hook them up again). The writers probably wanted Shawn to have stronger motivation than usual for helping Corey this time around (him and Angela).

Every other time they had arguments it stemmed from their own issues.

Edited by DitzyMuffin23, Apr 14, 2005 @ 12:01 AM.

Phenobarbara

Phenobarbara

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2005 @ 4:39 PM

Wasn't there an episode in which Angela dumped Shawn because her mother abandoned her and she was afraid she'd be like her mother? So dumping Shawn was her way of protecting him from her future self? It was when her military father visited. That whole episode was shitty. If they wanted an ep on Angela dealing with abandonment issues, they should have written it a whole lot better. Instead, it was a bunch of whining and yelling.

Thena

Thena

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2005 @ 6:06 PM

I seemed to have forgotten all about Angela's quirks. My bad because she was too much of a mess for Shawn it seems. I only remember those first couple of episodes when she was on. Yeah, now I remember how she broke up with him because of Corey and Topanga; I think I was very perplexed by this.

A Shawn/Angela episode I remember is the one where Shawn had found a bag of girl's stuff, and every single item in it (a book, a movie stub, other stuff) meant something to him. He was incredibly romantic about it, and I don't remember the writing ever making him so idealistic about love. He thought the girl that owned these things was his soul-mate. When he found out, the bag belonged this other girl, but the stuff was Angela's (except he didn't find that out).

I also remember that episode where they tried to have no-strings attached relationship, and he kept ruining it by being romantic. Man, I can't believe I forgot how annoying she was. Haha.

DitzyMuffin23

DitzyMuffin23

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2005 @ 6:58 PM

Wasn't there an episode in which Angela dumped Shawn because her mother abandoned her and she was afraid she'd be like her mother? So dumping Shawn was her way of protecting him from her future self?

My memories of the episiode are pretty sketchy so I can't dispute what you say, but Shawn has hurt her as well. There were times when he pushed her away because of his fears of commitment, his temporary addiction to alcohol, his feelings of inferiority, etc. I'm not saying that Angela is better than Shawn (mind you I so heart shawn). I mean neither of them are perfect and they've both done hurtful things to each other. I found their relationship to be fairly complex in ways Cory and Topanga can't touch.

BrightEyes87

BrightEyes87

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2005 @ 7:57 PM

Man, I'm surprised at all of the Angela hate. I loooved her during the original run of the series. The high school episodes when she finds out that Shawn likes the same movies and music and books as her? Oy. Rider Strong and Trina McGee-Davis had outstanding chemistry.

I'm not saying that Angela is better than Shawn (mind you I so heart shawn). I mean neither of them are perfect and they've both done hurtful things to each other. I found their relationship to be fairly complex in ways Cory and Topanga can't touch.

Word. Yes, Shawn hurt her. He pushed her when he had his 22-minute brush with alcoholism and he was the one that wanted to see other people when they started college. Angela could be a bitch. She screeched about dumb things sometimes. But honestly, even with all the angst, I'd rather have their relationship than Corey and Topanga's, 99 times out of 100. There's just something so creepy about the idea that the person you've liked since you were two has to turn out to be your soulmate, no matter how fantastic and right for you another person is. Ugh. Corey had his moments, but I hate Topanga.

ninakix

ninakix

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2005 @ 8:10 PM

A Shawn/Angela episode I remember is the one where Shawn had found a bag of girl's stuff, and every single item in it (a book, a movie stub, other stuff) meant something to him. He was incredibly romantic about it, and I don't remember the writing ever making him so idealistic about love.

I think that was Shawn's turning point where he stopped being a player. Shawn ended up being more like Ryder in real life so I have a feeling Ryder pushed for Shawn to be a complex character. I would've been happy with keeping Eric stupid and pretty though. Not just a complete idiot.

Becka

Becka

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2005 @ 9:09 PM

I just got the season 2 DVDs and it's great! I haven't listened to the commentary yet, but just watching all these old eps has been awesome. I really must say I enjoy these older episodes so much more than the college age ones.

bodwod

bodwod

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2005 @ 9:53 PM

Same here, Becka. I much prefer the first few seasons. I'm looking forward to the 23 August release of Season 3

Edited by bodwod, Apr 17, 2005 @ 9:52 PM.

Undisclosed

Undisclosed

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2005 @ 10:43 PM

In the earlier episodes, Topanga was relatively thin. At which point did she become so curvy?