True Life

• Please log in to reply

7773 replies to this topic

livinggreen

livinggreen

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 11:47 AM

"I have embarrassing parents 2" Kenley & Niki

Kenley (the mom) may have a banging body but no matter how she dresses, she will never be 25 again. She has an old face, esp when she pulls her hair back. I really don't blame Niki for being upset.

ETA: The clown family were less embarrassing then Kenley

Edited by livinggreen, Oct 4, 2010 @ 11:48 AM.

browneyes106

browneyes106

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 6, 2010 @ 1:40 PM

I totally agree with you about Kenley's mom. The clown parents bothered me a bit because they seemed to nosy when they showed up during the daughter's date.

vita excolatur

vita excolatur

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 11, 2010 @ 10:48 PM

Did TL ever do an update on any of those featured in I Live in the Projects? That's one of my favorite episodes, and I caught it again a couple of weeks ago, leading me to wonder if any of them are beating the odds at this time.

I really want to know too. I also wanted to question why Jen had a voiceover where she mentioned taking out loans for nursing school? Why was she taking out loans? She had two dependents, that makes her automatically eligible for pell grants. I really hope she had some proper financial counseling at her school.

I really admired Vikki for her resolve and determination. I hope she's doing well now.

Funny story, I saw Vikki in real life today! I was leaving Target and she was coming in, the one in the South Loop in Chicago. I said hey to her as I passed and she said hey back... lol... mostly because I recognized her right off the bat and I did want to stop and talk to her but I was in a hurry!

Anyway, it looked like she worked at Target, so if that counts as an update, then there you go.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Oct 28, 2010 @ 9:25 AM

I caught most of "I'm Homeschooled," and did I hear the one girl say she wrote her SAT essay on Britney Spears and Twilight? Lord. I mean, I'm sure she's one of thousands of kids who did so, but still.

LemonSoda

LemonSoda

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 16, 2010 @ 1:14 AM

I know this news will not surprise anyone but Tommy Cheeseballs is on the market again. His engagement did not work out.
He's also training for a fight. His Myspace blog fails to let us know if said fight will be outside Steaks Unlimited, or in a real ring.

OneLastRefrain

OneLastRefrain

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 10:02 PM

I just watched an episode that was something like "I Can't Leave My Boyfriend" ... one couple was Grace and "Hangman" and one couple was Tawny and someone. It was a massive, massive trainwreck. Was this a new one?

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:27 PM

No, it was a rerun, because I remember talk of Hangman on this thread. I don't watch the relationship-based episodes, but I caught the introductory minutes while going around the dial today and oh.my.goddess. Between Hangman and some woman picking up her dog by the collar, those few minutes reinforced my rule against watching such episodes.

Nittany84

Nittany84

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 10:43 AM

Looks like there is (finally!) a new episode airing around Dec. 8. Sadly, it sounds lame: It's "I Can't Have Sex." The casting call from last fall says:

Are you incapable of having sexual intercourse? Do you suffer from a physically painful disorder that prevents you from having sex? Have you experienced “accidental castration” as a result of an injury? Perhaps you have a physical handicap that prevents you from engaging in traditional sexual intercourse.

Is your inability to have sex psychological? Do you suffer from an anxiety disorder that has completely dulled your sex drive? Maybe your lack of sex drive is a side effect of a prescribed medication.

Are you currently going through a gender transition that is preventing you from currently engaging in sex?

Are you enrolling in a religious seminary and can’t have sex because it is against your religion to do so?

Doesn't seem much different from the so-boring "I'm Celibate." Hopefully they cast interesting folks. "Accidental castration" could be compelling, but someone who just doesn't have a sex drive because of an anti-depressant (and I know how that one goes) doesn't seem likely to make for good TV.

shortywriter

shortywriter

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 11:11 AM

It's good to see that new episodes will be airing. I Can't Have Sex might be an interesting episode depending on the subjects they casted.

JennB

JennB

Stalker

Posted Dec 1, 2010 @ 9:36 PM

This article lists the new episodes.

12/6: I Can't Have Sex
12/13: I Have a Paranormal Ability
12/20: I'm an Albino
12/27: I Have a Fetish
1/3: I'm Addicted to Food
1/10: Update episode

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Dec 1, 2010 @ 9:38 PM

12/20: I'm an Albino

I'm interested in this episode. I saw an episode of 20/20 maybe a year ago about Albinos in other countries and they are really demonized for bullshit reasons. In one [African--don't remember the specific country] village, they were hunted and killed as if it would ward off bad luck.

Now, I'm sure the TL episode won't go heavy into this stuff, but I still think they should has potential to be interesting.

Nittany84

Nittany84

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 1, 2010 @ 10:40 PM

I saw an episode of 20/20 maybe a year ago about Albinos in other countries and they are really demonized for bullshit reasons. In one [African--don't remember the specific country] village, they were hunted and killed as if it would ward off bad luck.

In some parts of East Africa, albino body parts are believed to hold magical curative powers. More than 50 albinos have died since 2007, and 10,000 others are in hiding, according to the Red Cross. I think you're right that True Life won't be able to delve into this (though that would be amazing), but it would be quite realistic for them to include the story of a non-white albino.

I'm a little leery of the episode on "supernatural powers." I'm a skeptic and think that shows on paranormal activity tend to be a bit credulous. I hope that it will be clear in at least one case that the person is either faking it or is clearly delusional.

But: Hooray for the update episode. I hope we see Vicki from the episode on the projects and the father from I'm a Single Parent, among others.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Dec 1, 2010 @ 10:47 PM

12/27: I Have a Fetish
1/3: I'm Addicted to Food

I'm a little nervous about "I Have a Fetish," only because there was an MTV special about plushies and furries that scared the bejesus out of me. But I'm at least curious to know what the fetishes are. If it's feet, I'm-a have to look away - I have the opposite of a foot fetish, they repulse me. And I'm very curious to see "I'm Addicted to Food." I've seen some episodes of Intervention that are centered around it, as well as something on Discovery Health, I think, about a treatment center for people with food addictions who are severely morbidly obese - I think it was called "The 800-Lb. Man" or something like that.

Split Ends

Split Ends

Stalker

Posted Dec 1, 2010 @ 11:16 PM

I'm a little leery of the episode on "supernatural powers." I'm a skeptic and think that shows on paranormal activity tend to be a bit credulous.

Combine a teenager-centric demographic with purported paranormal abilities and the results are 99% faked, IMO. Now, if they play it as following two or three teenagers who try to make an identity for themselves by faking psychic nonsense, I could be interested. But if they for a second buy into it, it's just silly.

"I Can't Have Sex" is a great idea, though.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Dec 1, 2010 @ 11:20 PM

"I Can't Have Sex" is a great idea, though.

I hope that's it's not a rehash of I'm Celibate. I'm expecting to see people with some medical issues preventing them from having sex, not another "come to Jesus" moment.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Dec 2, 2010 @ 1:20 AM

I hope that's it's not a rehash of I'm Celibate. I'm expecting to see people with some medical issues preventing them from having sex, not another "come to Jesus" moment.

Same here; I want it to profile people who actually cannot have sex, not simply those who choose not to have or are indoctrinated against having sex.

And count me in the Scully camp, likely to be unconvinced by those who purport to have a paranormal ability. I am curious to see what they come up with, though.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Dec 2, 2010 @ 1:26 AM

And count me in the Scully camp

High five at the X-Files reference (which I'm currently watching, btw--Agua Mala).

I am curious to see what they come up with, though.

I expect to see some fake vampires trying to emulate Twilight. Maybe they will put on copious amounts of body glitter too, so that when they go out in the sun they will sparkle.

To say that I'm not excited about the ep would be an understatement.

Edited by IvyDarling, Dec 2, 2010 @ 1:30 AM.

lolococo

lolococo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 2, 2010 @ 9:43 AM

I'm a little nervous about "I Have a Fetish," only because there was an MTV special about plushies and furries that scared the bejesus out of me. But I'm at least curious to know what the fetishes are.

I am too. I saw a special (maybe on Strange Sex last summer?) on balloon fetishes and it totally weirded me out.

vita excolatur

vita excolatur

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 2, 2010 @ 9:46 AM

Hm, I wonder if they filmed that "I'm Racist" episode they were casting for. That was the one I was most interested in.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Dec 2, 2010 @ 7:41 PM

"I'm Happy to Be Fat" is on LOGO now, and "I'm Going to Rehab" is on at 8:30.

browneyes106

browneyes106

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 6, 2010 @ 8:14 AM

I just read about the new episodes. The paranormal abilities sounds dumb to me. I do like watching Ghost Adventures and similar shows. The topic of paranormal abilities is something to me that doesn't fit with True Life.

I think the albino will be very good. I also watched the 20/20 about the Albinos being killed or maimed and that was heartbreaking. I'm tired of TV shows and cable networks doing countless features on food addictions.

As for the update episode there are several people I hope are featured. The mother and daughter from the homeless episode are going to be on that episode. The mom said on Facebook back in May that Katy had been interviewed by MTV for an update episode. I'm curious to see what MTV reports on about them. Both of them have been confirmed by several people online to be grifter types. The mom recently took her blog and on her last posting she said that she and Katy are now staying with a former coworker and her family and I think she mentioned it on Facebook too.

I hope there is an update on Kenyatta from the homeless episode. I think out of all the people featured in that episode Kenyatta seemed to be the one that had the best chance to better her life.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Dec 6, 2010 @ 11:59 PM

I want it to profile people who actually cannot have sex, not simply those who choose not to have or are indoctrinated against having sex.

Bastet Esq, it looks like you and I got our wish!

I felt so bad for the ladies featured on tonight's show. To keep it real, listening to them talk made me feel physically uncomfortable, as if I was feeling their pain. I felt especially bad for the one with vulvar vestibulitis (don't remember her name). To have so much pain that you can't even walk occasionally is just a mess. At least the other two girls managed to have relatively pain free sex after learning some new techniques and therapy.

Edited by IvyDarling, Dec 7, 2010 @ 1:31 AM.

vita excolatur

vita excolatur

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 7, 2010 @ 12:16 AM

What was the name of Tamra's disorder? I wanted to look it up and see what it was but she kept slurring the name so I don't know what to search for.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Dec 7, 2010 @ 12:48 AM

vita excolatur the disorder is Vaginismus. An interview Tamra gave:
Tamra interview
More info on the disorder:
Vaginismus

Edited by Malibu65, Dec 7, 2010 @ 12:50 AM.

vita excolatur

vita excolatur

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 7, 2010 @ 12:55 AM

Oh, ok, I thought it was a different one from the other girl. (Seriously, I had no idea what she was saying when she pronounced it.) So she actually had vaginismus whereas the other girl self diagnosed herself which would explain why Tamra's problems seemed so much more severe. Didn't she say something about it causing sores or something though?

beezer

beezer

Stalker

Posted Dec 7, 2010 @ 2:03 AM

Just finished watching one that has no title on the guide; it was about people who prefer their online lives. I don't know if it was new but kind of doubt it because people were all talkin' bout MySpace a lot.

It had one girl wanted to be a musician but would only sing on Second Life, which I found boring, except she was a bitch and got all pissed the first open mic night she managed to overcome her shyness and participate in, when people didn't all hush to listen to her, and two annoying as hell prostitutes.

One was on about she's got social anxiety, panic attacks, etc. (what is with the 20-somethings and claiming social anxiety, pathologic shyness, etc.?), so, naturally, she has a website where she posts nude and salacious pictures of herself, hoping random guys will send her money. One of them pays her rent and then asks her to strip naked and do things for him. She doesn't like it when her friend calls this stripping, wears emo bangs and vaguely giggles and whispers and claims she's so shy. Yeah. You're a whore, dear. Own it.

The other was a delusional girl who went online to basically, it seemed, tease guys and get them to jerk off to her, but felt she was too overweight to show guys her whole body so she takes pictures and shows video of her chest and nether regions - and face. It seemed like she thought they couldn't tell she was overweight if she just showed parts of her body. She was... too overweight for that to work at all. I kept wondering how she reacted when she saw this show and saw herself on video. I'm not slamming her body or anything, it just seemed like she thought she was much thinner than she actually was that I thought was odd, given how much posting of pics and stuff she did.

Also, totally robbed, as the guide said the next one was the sexual problems but it's actually the pathetically lame 'I'm polyamorous" aka "I'm just slutty, but I want to make it sound deep and political."

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Dec 7, 2010 @ 2:08 AM

Also, totally robbed, as the guide said the next one was the sexual problems but it's actually the pathetically lame 'I'm polyamorous" aka "I'm just slutty, but I want to make it sound deep and political."

Yeah, I missed the original airing of the new I Can't Have Sex episode because I was watching football, so tuned in to catch the scheduled repeat only to find the Clay Aiken triplets. No thank you, MTV. I've never seen the whole thing, as relationship episodes don't interest me, but I just remember that one fool crying out to Jesus because he was sleeping alone while the other two slept in another room. Now, I hate sharing a bed and have to remember that sexual etiquette prohibits one from drop kicking one's partner down the hall as soon as the sweat has cooled, but if he's so enamored of a shared sleeping space he should just haul in a king-size bed and stay there and sleep with them rather than whining to his god about it.

Edited by Bastet Esq, Dec 7, 2010 @ 2:19 AM.

vita excolatur

vita excolatur

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 7, 2010 @ 2:46 AM

It had one girl wanted to be a musician but would only sing on Second Life, which I found boring, except she was a bitch and got all pissed the first open mic night she managed to overcome her shyness and participate in, when people didn't all hush to listen to her, and two annoying as hell prostitutes.

One was on about she's got social anxiety, panic attacks, etc. (what is with the 20-somethings and claiming social anxiety, pathologic shyness, etc.?), so, naturally, she has a website where she posts nude and salacious pictures of herself, hoping random guys will send her money. One of them pays her rent and then asks her to strip naked and do things for him. She doesn't like it when her friend calls this stripping, wears emo bangs and vaguely giggles and whispers and claims she's so shy. Yeah. You're a whore, dear. Own it.

The other was a delusional girl who went online to basically, it seemed, tease guys and get them to jerk off to her, but felt she was too overweight to show guys her whole body so she takes pictures and shows video of her chest and nether regions - and face. It seemed like she thought they couldn't tell she was overweight if she just showed parts of her body. She was... too overweight for that to work at all. I kept wondering how she reacted when she saw this show and saw herself on video. I'm not slamming her body or anything, it just seemed like she thought she was much thinner than she actually was that I thought was odd, given how much posting of pics and stuff she did.

I love this episode because they were all such stereotypes of the type of "loser" computer "nerds" who live online. Now, I actually enjoy spending a fair amount of time, more than average, surfing the net myself but I am by all rights well-adjusted and social, so I enjoy seeing the nerd archetype personified. I also have a vague sympathy for the overweight girl because she clearly was trying to get some attention anywhere she could and showing her body seemed a reasonable trade off to her. The other thing that cracks me up is that her friend, in a bullshit fake show of altruism, takes her out to meet guys but spends the whole time mocking her for the reasons why it was necessary. She actually told one of the guys something like "she's online a lot, that's terrible, right?" Hey, bitch, that is not the way to make your awkward overweight friend comfortable talking to guys IRL.

The skinny girl sucked though. She didn't have an anxiety problem, she was just a self conscious girl with low self esteem who was hyper aware of her plain, unattractive looks. The irony was if she had some confidence and was able to style herself effectively, she wouldn't have been any noticeably less average than most other girls. Her whole shtick was really transparent and she should have just been open about who she was and why she was doing what she was doing, like the other girl.

beezer

beezer

Stalker

Posted Dec 7, 2010 @ 3:51 AM

I don't think she had low self esteem at all. I think she was quite the opposite, as everything she did was attention-getting and exhibitionistic.

The taking off her clothes for guys online - and posing for pictures herself and uploading them - I think is just not something someone with actually low self esteem does. It wasn't even something she couldn't see, if you know what I mean, she posed for and then cropped and edited tons of pictures of herself looking shyly at the camera from up under her eyebrows (thank you, George Clooney School of Acting!).

I think the social anxiety and panic attack thing was also so much bullshit. She clearly went out, she didn't actually seem to have problems, she seemed to enjoy telling others how distressed she theoretically was and how she might freak out and yada yada though. Hell, she was being followed by a camera crew - I don't think most people who actually don't want attention and staring from random strangers would sign up for that one, especially if it wasn't for anything designed to help their theoretical problem.

I think she was just an attention whore - and a regular whore - who got attention by going on about how she was soooo shy (downward cast of head, bangs over eyes, peek up and bite lip) and she might have an anxiety attack (look adorably worried), so she had to stay inside and it was really hard to get a job (drop head, look as if might cry), and, being on her own, it was so hard (wait for someone to offer cash).

Word to the other girl's friend being less than helpful. "I just wanted her to see how easy it is to approach guys!" To... tell them your friend doesn't like to approach guys, which is somewhat different than approaching them because you have some interest.

Edited by beezer, Dec 7, 2010 @ 3:53 AM.

lola212005

lola212005

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2010 @ 4:05 AM

I love this episode because they were all such stereotypes of the type of "loser" computer "nerds" who live online.

I loved this episode because I know people exactly like this. I had an overweight friend who would meet guys online, and only send pictures of her face and (cropped) pictures of her body. It led to a promise ring, and then the guy finally realized that my friend lied about her weight and then... it's all a downward spiral from there.

I think the so called "delusional" girl wasn't really delusional at all. I think she knew she was overweight but was desperate for any attention she could get from guys. You can sit there and tell your friend that she has a great personality and that looks shouldn't matter and all that, but she won't believe it at all. At least from my experience with my (ex) friend.

I just watched "I'm Poly-amorous" and I believe it should be re-titled "I'm Too Horny to Commit to One Person". None of the people featured in this episode seemed truly happy with their decision. There is this underlying jealousy to the whole thing.

Edited by lola212005, Dec 7, 2010 @ 5:46 AM.