True Life

• Please log in to reply

7773 replies to this topic

CrazyMacy

CrazyMacy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 6:48 PM

Is anyone else getting the feeling that they are quickly running out of ideas for this show?

YES!!! I would love to see a TL on groupies, preferably the ones who never got over the 80s..you know chicks in their 30s and 40s who trail the metal nostalgia circuit, groupies who are follwing the hot groups now, etc...and a TL on those who are rich... focus on a 40 something woman who has never worked a day in her life, somone who is just coming into money, someone who had alot of money and lost it all... there are alot that they have yet to cover in the TL shows!!

JYR

JYR

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 7:37 PM

I grew up on Long Island but have been stuck out here in the bowels of Seattle trying to get through law school.

Good luck! It is all worth it in the end.

DrCher

DrCher

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 8:02 PM

YES!!! I would love to see a TL on groupies, preferably the ones who never got over the 80s..you know chicks in their 30s and 40s who trail the metal nostalgia circuit, groupies who are follwing the hot groups now, etc

Oh! I loved to see that.

JDub1

JDub1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 2:15 PM

That's a great idea. I'd watch it.

Its THEIR TURF dammit.

That's so funny. I think I'll start calling places "my turf". Like when I go to Taco Cabana at 3 in the morning and drunk assholes start getting all uppity. And when the little kids next door ride their bikes back and forth in front of my house.

Dang, Tommy was so dramatic. I wondered why they focused so much on him. The thing I've always liked about TL is how they show several different people's stories.
He really needs to lay off the cigs. He's going to sound like Colin Quinn in a few years. And that bald head is just scary. He's a little cute with his hat on, but I can see some girls getting disappointed when he takes his hat off. Like I felt when LL Cool J stopped wearing Kangols so much. (still hot though) He's definitely really needy too. It was really pathetic how he'd immediately get attached. Like the blur-faced girl at the club, who he "couldn't stop thinking about". He seems nice though, like one of those tough guys who likes to bring his girl roses ans cards, very doting(sp?). But he's too drama. And his home---geez, could he have straightened up for the camera's at all? Sorry, but that's a deal breaker for me. If a guy can't keep his house neat, I can't get involved with him. One of my first date questions is "How many times a day do you take a shower?"

Oh, and was Tommy just driving down every weekend? Is that what you do with a summer share?

Edited by JDub1, Jan 10, 2004 @ 2:20 PM.

CrazyMacy

CrazyMacy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 4:30 PM

OH MY GOD! I am watching the repeat of True Life: I want the perfect body, and Naomi from TL: I'm a Binge Drinker is hosting......why does she looks JUST LIKE the dude on SNL dressed as "Drunk Girl"??

Jumpin

Jumpin

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 5:57 PM

This Polish woman with the terrible plastic surgery is making me ill (and so are all the others in this one).

I remember reading here about the I'm A Clubber episode, but I hadn't seen it until now.

ETA that there's a marathon on.

Edited by Jumpin, Jan 10, 2004 @ 5:58 PM.

borokat

borokat

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 7:00 PM

Crazymacy, [monica voice] I KNOW! [/mv] It makes me wonder if he actually based the characted of Drunk Girl on that chick!

Also, Anthony the wannabe bodybuilder and his ass-shaving Dad was CREEPY. Seriously, my husband had to leave the room, he was so weirded out.

yama

yama

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 7:58 PM

Naomi from TL: I'm a Binge Drinker is hosting......why does she looks JUST LIKE the dude on SNL dressed as "Drunk Girl"??

Thank you, CrazyMacy! I was trying to figure out who she looked like! BTW, I remember seeing an interview with Jeff Richards (AKA Drunk Girl) in which he said that he based the character on an obnoxious drunk girl at one of his stand-up shows....you think that could've been Naomi? ;)

Topic? I was really disappointed to see that the #1 grossest moment on True Life, according to the countdown, was when the girl with bulemia on the "I Have An Eating Disorder" episode showed the container that she used to purge into in the middle of the night. I thought, in comparison to the other moments in the countdown (the guy tongue-kissing his dog, drunk boy and his snot rocket...), the bulemic's puke container was not so much gross, but more sad.

Jumpin

Jumpin

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 8:03 PM

I don't know, I thought they were all tied for first. heh. Come on, a tub full of old puke in the closet?
I agree about the Drunk Girl thing. I was taken aback. Maybe it's a coincidence, maybe it's not....
These people sure make me feel better about my life, I tell you what.

Joe Perry Rocks My World

Joe Perry Rocks My World

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 8:26 PM

Oh yes, best episode ever is on. Breakups to makeups. This girl Jen (is that her name?) is so pathetic, I feel bad for her. How can she let that guy treat her like such a piece of crap? She is so blind to his assholeishness. I felt so bad for her when she was all excited about the hotel room and he so obviously didn't want to go, and ended up only going at the end of the night cause he was going to get laid. It really bothers me to see a girl allow herself to be treated like that. I wonder if they are dating now or what. I'm guessing not.

mbridgii

mbridgii

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 8:43 PM

This is the best episode.

This girl Jen is utterly ridiculous. If she is not making this crap up for the cameras, then she is the most pathetic, saddest girl in the world. She literally picked the snot out of his nose, she is such his bitch.

Clay knows exactly what he is doing. I bet she's still with him.

kers

kers

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 10:11 PM

I heart True Life marathons! I've seen them all, and yet I can't bear to switch the channel.

For some reason, I find ?Brian?, the bulimic guy on TL: I Have an Eating Disorder the saddest thing. Probably because of his video diary in the bathroom when he's purging. Did MTV ever do updates on him or the girls in this episode?

mbridgii

mbridgii

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 10:29 PM

That guy (I don't remember if his name is Brian or not) on the "I Have an Eating Disorder" special is really going to have to move if he doesn't want to be victim to weight.

Of course, he'll always have problems, because food is everywhere. But he can't force his family to change their ways because he doesn't want to look like them.

JYR

JYR

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 11:11 PM

Topic? I was really disappointed to see that the #1 grossest moment on True Life, according to the countdown, was when the girl with bulemia on the "I Have An Eating Disorder" episode showed the container that she used to purge into in the middle of the night. I thought, in comparison to the other moments in the countdown (the guy tongue-kissing his dog, drunk boy and his snot rocket...), the bulemic's puke container was not so much gross, but more sad.

I agree. That was not a situation to laugh at/

MC SammyD

MC SammyD

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 11:25 PM

I hope I didn't miss the divorce episode. That is my favorite one EVER! Come on, what is not absolutely hilarious about Slim JG? I even taped the segment of that episode with her "rapping", but I have to see it everytime it comes on. LOVE! THAT! EPISODE!

yama

yama

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 6:19 AM

Do you know when the Slim JG episode will be on, MC SammyD? That has to be one of my favorite things that has been on MTV, ever. The line where she says she "need[s] to do what God put [her] on the earth to do....and that is to rap"? Fucking classic! God help me, but I actually entertained the notion of buying her CD, burning copies of it, and giving them out as Christmas presents. You can't tell me that wouldn't be a great stocking stuffer: "It's time for wwwwaaaaarrrrr!"

myOBSESSIONwithMBTV

myOBSESSIONwithMBTV

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 9:48 AM

I just clicked on SlimShady's website...Hysterical. I like the tagline, "MTV's True Life rapper that got a divorce." Lawdy. She looks sick in her photos. Good times.

Jumpin

Jumpin

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 12:05 PM

Just to clarify, I never said anything about laughing at the grossest moments. They were not labeled the funniest moments, they were the grossest ones, and none of them were funny.

btcpossee

btcpossee

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 1:16 PM

Do you know when the Slim JG episode will be on, MC SammyD?

It's going to be on this afternoon - I think at four or five. YES!

yama

yama

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 1:25 PM

Thanks btcpossee! I can't wait!

ETA:

They were not labeled the funniest moments, they were the grossest ones, and none of them were funny.

I agree, but I guess I took issue to the fact that other moments dealt with some pretty silly things, or a the very least, concious decisions made by someone (calf-implant boy). To me, when the bulemic girl was grouped with these other clips, it looked too much like MTV poking fun at her and using her for disease for entertainment value. Which was sad, because her episode of True Life rang more as an educational episode than, say, "I Love My Dog."

Edited by yama, Jan 11, 2004 @ 1:34 PM.

paceysahottie

paceysahottie

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 4:05 PM

Hurry! Hurry! Slim JG is on now! I'm SO excited!!!!!

LoLolita

LoLolita

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 4:29 PM

Did MTV ever do updates on him or the girls in this episode?

Nope! And this is the only episode that I want an update with. Brian's future seems to be optimistic, like he said, he caught the problem early and the very last scene said that he had stopped purging.

But Abby and Erin, I'm really worried about. Erin, because she was terribly thin and she could no longer stay in the best enviornment for her because of insurance issues. And I couldn't see her making much progress outside of the hospital.

And Abby didn't seem too regretful about her purging. I mean, she didn't like doing it, but she would anyway and it didn't look like it was getting any better.

On the Top five most shocking moments in True Life, number three was Slim JG's supposed rapping skills. LOL.

ETA: Upon further viewing of the divorce episode, I'm beginning to feel so sorry for Jason. The divorce was defiantly the best move for him and Jennifer, but I feel bad about Jason's drug habit. He just seems so far down the toilet, that I don't know if he would ever not be addicted to crack. Is that mean? I'm not trying to be...

And the girl whose parents are divorcing is *so* annoying. I'm trying to think about how I would feel if my parents divorced, but I honestly don't think I would be devastated. I'd probably cry a little, but I wouldn't be too upset because it wouldn't be my problem, it would be my parents. But that's just my view.

Edited by LoLolita, Jan 11, 2004 @ 4:43 PM.

CrazyMacy

CrazyMacy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 4:30 PM

LMAO....heeee

MC SammyD

MC SammyD

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 7:39 PM

Oh man, I tuned in to MTV at 4:10 PM and was just in time to catch the best 4 or 5 minutes in MTV history. Honestly, will Slim JG's rapping ever not be funny? And not just funny. But roll on the floor hilarious. I can't even decide what my favorite part of her rap is. "It's af-ter mid-night, Ja-son's stal-king me, hobblaboowhateverthefuckshesaysrightthere!" The part that gets me every time, though, is at the very end when she says "And one more thing..." and the music stops and then she shouts into the microphone some expletive I can't make out. It's just so random and over the top that I burst into fits of laughter. And the fact that she is so completely serious when she talks about how the money she is putting into this will come back in "oodles and oodles" (of noodles?). I kind of feel bad, but then I remember she's a delusional famewhore and all the sadness goes away.

Besides the ludicrous rapping deal, she seems kind of okay. I really respect that she doesn't want Jason to get any of the money she is going to make from the rap game (heeee!) so that he can buy more drugs. It seems like she genuinely wants him to get better. But then why doesn't she just try to get him into rehab or something? She seems to want to keep him from getting possession of the drugs, but doesn't want to do anything to help the actual problem. I don't get it. All I know is that I wish I had her CD because I'm sure it's 8,000 different kinds of wrong. I would totally get it if I didn't have to pay actual money for it.

HiImOates

HiImOates

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 7:41 PM

I would totally get it if I didn't have to pay actual money for it.

It's too bad she divorced her husband, because he could have been in charge of selling her albums and you could give him some crack for it.

epogurl

epogurl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 8:08 PM

During their countdown of the best quotes they were so off the mark. While I appreciate them using calf implants guy, they so picked the wrong quote. They chose one where he talked about how great his ass was. His best qoute was when he says "Ladies, it doesn't get any better than this." But the best from the episode was his friend who said "Hee! He's got titties in his legs!" I love that episode.

I also rewatched the adoption episode this afternoon. I once again teared up watching Kim give up her baby.

DrCher

DrCher

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 8:11 PM

I once again teared up watching Kim give up her baby.

Same here. I was heartbroken.

Baby Girl

Baby Girl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 8:45 PM

Oh, and was Tommy just driving down every weekend? Is that what you do with a summer share?

Everybody that I know that has a summer share works during the week and drives down on Friday night. So yeah, I'm pretty sure he was there only on the weekends.

Anyway, Tommy, so many issues, so little time. The waft of neediness and desperation was coming off this guy in waves. I could see why he couldn't keep a girl. He was so ANNOYING and MELODRAMATIC!! All.The.Time. If he wasn't picking fights wherever he went and defending his 'turf', then he was whining and complaining that he wanted a wife and couldn't find the right girl. Like it's really likely that you're going to find your future wife at some guido hangout at Seaside Heights when you plastered out of your mind. I'm sure he can really be a sweet guy, but maybe he needs some medication to take that personality down from notch 11. He's just too much. I could see from his drunken conversation with Michelle that that relationship wasn't long for this world. Not many girls could handle someone that intensely needy. Especially in like day 3 of said 'relationship'.

The fashions: the less said the better. The guys were all overweight and sloppy looking (especially 'burp' guy. Ewww) and girls all look rode hard and put away wet. Although living in SI, I see people like that every day.

Grossest moment: When Anthony? couldn't eat all the pizza until he got out that burp that was all the way down in his ball sac. Disgusting. And they wonder why they can't find women?

lotusbear

lotusbear

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 7:58 AM

After watching the summer share, I thought I'd share something myself. This website is hysterical. Mainly because the guy who owns it is serious about all this stuff. Don't forget to miss his section called writings (especially the the last feeling) that alone makes this website a winner. Oh, and then all the photographs too make it seem like you're right there on the town with NJ's finest guidos.

Lastly, I wonder if Tommy has any unresolved mother issues. Obviously he was close with his grandmother, but I wonder if the relationship he has or had with his mother plays into his desperate need for a woman in his life?

Edited by lotusbear, Jan 12, 2004 @ 8:00 AM.

btcpossee

btcpossee

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 8:18 AM

I also rewatched the adoption episode this afternoon. I once again teared up watching Kim give up her baby.

I know what you mean, but at the same time, I was also tearing up because it was obvious how much the new parents wanted to care for the baby.