True Life

• Please log in to reply

7773 replies to this topic

Melvin_Spelvin

Melvin_Spelvin

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 7:30 PM

This episode was on again today. I can't watch it, because it pisses me off. It makes me so mad that a baby is being brought into a world full of selfish assholes.

HiImOates

HiImOates

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 8:52 PM

It's funny, at first I thought Mallory was trash, but then David's mother appeared. If I didn't know any better (and well, let's face it, I really don't) I'd say David's mother was in love with him.

Ryanne

Ryanne

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 10:39 PM

I just caught the Baby Mama Drama ep this afternoon, and wow. That's it... just wow. David clearly didn't want custody of the baby, he was just feeding canned "what-I'm-supposed-to-say" lines to Mallory. I think all Mallory would need to do is take a tape of that episode to court with her and the child would be returned immediately. (Granted, an unwed teen mother with no job or high school diploma's no prize-winning parent, but David's mother was psycho.)

DrCher

DrCher

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 11:43 AM

Did they ever air the Summer Share episode?

VaVaVoom

VaVaVoom

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 11:51 AM

I still haven't seen anything about that episode, DrCher. I haven't seen any new episodes since the druggie/clubber one.

PrincessFosace

PrincessFosace

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 12:54 PM

My Tivo says that the Summer Share episode will be on next week

PB4Uleavehome

PB4Uleavehome

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 10:59 PM

The Baby Mama Drama episode always makes me feel so sorry for Pito. There are so many fathers who want absolutely nothing to do with their children and finally one does and he's not allowed to see her.

Jenny was SO cute.

foth604

foth604

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 10:30 PM

I just saw a commercial for new True Life episodes, including the Summer Share one that will air tomorrow. Next week is "True Life: I'm in the System" according to TV Guide. There were commercials for episodes about identical twins, doing anything for money, Iraq, and I believe, surfing.

ItalianKiss

ItalianKiss

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 11:23 AM

The Baby Mama Drama episode always makes me feel so sorry for Pito. There are so many fathers who want absolutely nothing to do with their children and finally one does and he's not allowed to see her.

ITA! It really pissed me off. I was thinking the same thing as you mentioned--here's one dad that truly cares and his lying loser of an ex gets full custody. I wish they would air an update.

Also, yep--looks like Summer Share will be part of the all new season. Yesterday i caught the "Fat Camp" ep. Anyone know what happened to Ben? I felt so bad for him--i was really hoping he'd make it and keep the weight off.

Edited by ItalianKiss, Jan 8, 2004 @ 11:24 AM.

Ryanne

Ryanne

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 12:23 PM

WORD on the Pito situation. I did think it was cool that they showed him with his petition for custody. I have done some divorce/child custody work on a pro bono basis through my law firm, and there are so many people that do not know what to do to secure visitation rights and child support. I liked that they showed him taking action rather than just pissing and moaning about the situation. His daughter was adorable.

pottie-mouth

pottie-mouth

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 1:07 PM

Did anyone else see the "True Life" marathon last night? Most notable was the guest appearance / hosting stint by the girl from the binge drinking episode (who remarkably is the only person in the entire world to be unable to cope with the harrowing responsibility inherent in cocktailing in a strip club a few nights out of the week). Why? She looked like Leatherface from "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre." Or like she was wearing a deformed wax mask. It was pretty disturbing. Thanks, MTV.

ItalianKiss

ItalianKiss

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 2:14 PM

dang--i missed it pottie-mouth. Do u mean Naomi was hosting? the chick who couldn't hold a job? or the one who was ccharged with DUI?

As for other hosts--the other day i saw Meathead Anthony from "perfect Body" and that overachieving HS senior who wanted to get into her top college.

benevolentToaster

benevolentToaster

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 8:23 PM

This is fantastic. I'm so excited to catch 'true life' because it's the "I'm a High School Senior" episode. I'm amused by the awful J-lo wannabe prom dress, and the girl who wants to be Debbie Matenopolos on the View is just cringe-worthy but yet I still watch like a train wreck.

I think it's because seretly there were people i went to school with in HS who were the goody-goody perfect valedictorian types, but who I secretly wished would fall on their faces in the school play or something :)

brownSugar

brownSugar

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 10:57 PM

I think it's because seretly there were people i went to school with in HS who were the goody-goody perfect valedictorian types, but who I secretly wished would fall on their faces in the school play or something :)

And you'll be glad to know that those people still exist in high school today...and they make my life hell.

truffles17

truffles17

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 11:03 PM

Memo to Tommy: Tone it down with the "tough guy" act. Threatening to beat people up every week really isn't impressing anyone at this point. Can't you tell by your friend's faces that you are embarrassing them? Plus, you're putting them in the position of having to back your ass up if something does go down.

Also, telling a girl that you just met that you're looking for a wife is probably going to scare her off.

Just lettin' ya know!

majenta

majenta

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 11:28 PM

Wow. I guess they called it True Life: I have a summer share, because they couldn't call it. True Life: I'm a New Jersey Goumba. I just felt bad for Tommy. His introspections and revelations were just...depressing. Sweetheart: Tony Soprano isn't real. Neither is any character that Al Pacino has ever played.

onehotgrrl

onehotgrrl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 12:13 AM

I am glad I wasn't the only person who was very angry while watching the "Baby Mama Drama" episode. I refused to watch it more than once...I was so angry about that manipulative, controlling mother the stupid boy had. I felt so bad for Mallory. I hope she gets to move away from them.

In the clubbing episode...I think Patricia got money from her divorce and thats why she had no job. I hope she goes back to Poland and clean herself up.

Why why why did Laticia go to the hotel with that nasty old man?? Yuck! While she was pregnant too?

Gimme Stitches

Gimme Stitches

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 1:00 AM

It was truly sad watching this guy tonight. Never really got a sense that he was ever truly that succesfull with women, which made the show even more painful.

I don't even want to get into the whole tough guy thing, but I will just say that it was pretty evident to me that this guy was not a bad-ass at all. I don't run in tough circles, yet I could see some guys I know totally taking that guy out with no problem. He seems like that guy that thinks having a bald head and some prominent tatoos makes you a tough guy. Guess what - it doesn't.

DrCher

DrCher

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 8:38 AM

I thought they would of had more Summer Share subjects, not just that derp.

He seems like that guy that thinks having a bald head and some prominent tatoos makes you a tough guy.

Don't forget the hat!

Edited by DrCher, Jan 9, 2004 @ 8:40 AM.

MaryWebGirl

MaryWebGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 12:30 PM

I missed any exposition that happened in the first couple minutes -- did they ever say where the share house was, and what these guys do for a living?

chipperchap

chipperchap

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 12:49 PM

The summer share was in Seaside Heights. They were all from north North Jersey. Tommy mentioned something about 72 exits down the parkway. Did they ever say what they do for a living? I mean, besides terrorizing and insulting locals and annoying women all summer long.

Kharma

Kharma

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 12:55 PM

Did they ever say what they do for a living? I mean, besides terrorizing and insulting locals and annoying women all summer long.

Yeah, I was wondering about that too, since they were all driving really expensive SUVs.

strawberryblond

strawberryblond

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 1:17 PM

As for what they do, Tommy (I just typed and keep thinking his name is Tony- I think it's a subconscious connection to The Sopranos) was operating construction machinery at the end (the 2 months later part) so I'm thinking he works in construction. Speaking of Tommy, he was such a tool, but kind of in an endearing way. If I saw him at a club or something (though I would never be at any of those clubs), I would totally run away from him, but I kind of enjoyed his sad little story.

I guess they called it True Life: I have a summer share, because they couldn't call it. True Life: I'm a New Jersey Goumba.

So true.

meldogg1978

meldogg1978

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 1:55 PM

The Summer Share: Jersey in da house! I found it entertaining. They definitely are the stereotypical Jersey types. Sorry Garden Staters. I'm from Boston, say whay you want. Word to everyone on the feeling the Sopranos vibe. Does anyone know how much a Summer Share costs in Jersey? Tommy works construction. I imagine that's what the rest of his male friends do as well. Just feelin that vibe. They have very nice cars though. Tommy said something about every girl in the place being drawn to him. Tommy, I would run away screaming from you. For real. The whole macho, tough guy is anything but attractive. His whole needing someone to complete me vibe was interesting, a little desperate. Drowning your sorrows in booze won't make anything better Tom. Just sayin'.

I have a feeling he might end up with that girl that he has been friends with for 20 years.

truffles17

truffles17

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 2:23 PM

I have a feeling he might end up with that girl that he has been friends with for 20 years.

I got that feeling too, though she did seem a little annoyed with his tough guy crap that he was pulling.

At the beginning, he did say that he does construction. I wonder if that's what his friends do too. Seemed like he put all his money into his car. Did you notice his apartment? Looked like a studio, that was extremely messy. Maybe he doesn't really want a wife, just a housekeeper?!

meldogg1978

meldogg1978

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 2:37 PM

Housekeeper? Most definitely. I think he would be a pretty loyal guy. He likes to hook up, but I can't see him cheating on his wife. He wants someone to stay home, pop out Tommy Jr. and a few other kids, let him hang out with his boys, and go to the Shore every summer. If you go back in twenty years, they'll be doing the same thing. Don't they want to do something more? Go somewhere else? While going to the same place year after year is a nice idea, maybe mix it up a bit? You might get exposed to new things, new people. Although, they seem quite comfortable there. Its THEIR TURF dammit. I imagine standing at the hog dog stand and see Tommy and his crew stroll up and start kicking some ass and me just laughing at them at how insane they are. Get a life Tommy.

PootiePootwell

PootiePootwell

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 3:00 PM

Is anyone else getting the feeling that they are quickly running out of ideas for this show? True Life: I'm spending the summer at "The Shore." Big fucking deal!
I cannot express how interested I was watching someone's "how I spent my summer vacation." I hope they come up with some more interesting topics for the future.

MaryWebGirl

MaryWebGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 4:12 PM

Thanks for answering my questions about the location and their employment.

Don't they want to do something more? Go somewhere else?

I watched this with my husband, a lifetime Jersey resident. He said that he felt the show accurately portrayed what he called "the bottom 20% of every high school class in Jersey." They are completely content to stay in Jersey, although they may take a big family vacation to Florida, or venture into "the city" (NYC) for a little culture.

LegallyRed2

LegallyRed2

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 4:28 PM

Oy vey, I have so much to say about the Summer Share episode, it's not even funny. First of all, I have been a little homesick lately. I grew up on Long Island but have been stuck out here in the bowels of Seattle trying to get through law school. Thanks to MTV, I don't miss home any more. It never ceases to amaze me how awful Jersey/Long Island fashion is. It's seriously like a car that stalled in 1986. And the voices of the women. Gawd, I am so happy that I never, ever talked like that. It's cool when it comes out of my mom's mouth, but not mine.

Now about Mr. Baldy (who looked just like Chris Pontius with a tight wifebeater and a shaved head)... I find it very cool that he can admit that his ex-girlfriend can still affect him. HOWEVER, he is not even FROM Seaside, yet acts like he owns the place. I grew up in a town with a lot of summer shares on the shore - even though the town was pretty much ghetto, the shore was not. Every year, we would be innundated with these jackasses from Manhattan who came out there to the beach I was a lifeguard at. Those fuckers would purposely pick fights with the locals and just made the summer generally miserable. I finally had to quit the year Flight 800 crashed because not only did we get the Manhattanites who couldn't afford shares in the Hamptons so they got houses in Mastic, Moriches and Shirley, then the news and President Clinton started coming. It really ruins things for people who live there 12 months out of the year.

And can I just say that I think Bald Guy was emoting so much testosterone, it made me wonder about his sexuality. I mean, I haven't seen fashion like that since Right Said Fred's "I'm Too Sexy" video. Seriously.

Seems to me that this guy needs to stop focusing so much on partying, Escalades and getting a girlfriend and should focus on his own issues.

chipperchap

chipperchap

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 6:25 PM

HOWEVER, he is not even FROM Seaside, yet acts like he owns the place. I grew up in a town with a lot of summer shares on the shore - even though the town was pretty much ghetto, the shore was not. Every year, we would be innundated with these jackasses from Manhattan who came out there to the beach I was a lifeguard at. Those fuckers would purposely pick fights with the locals and just made the summer generally miserable.

It really ruins things for people who live there 12 months out of the year.

Word and word. And now everyone (or at least the twenty people that actually watched this show) thinks that people from the Shore act like self-entitled arrogant assholes. With bad fashion sense.