Days Of Our Lives

• Please log in to reply

115040 replies to this topic

TobinAlbers

TobinAlbers

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:49 PM

Man, instead of Nicole creating this drama with EJ and letting Rafe 'protect' her I really wish she had admitted to EJ that he's the father and then put him on notice that if his relentless hounding for a reconciliation and forcing himself into her life stressed her out so much that she lost the baby he better hope she died along with it because if she didn't she'd make sure he'd live to regret costing her this child. And EJ would know she meant it.

Then instead of the obvious front assault, EJ resorts to monitoring Nicole from afar, perhaps even hiring someone to befriend Nicole and report back to him about everything that's going on. This contortion of Rafe playing protector daddy while EJ dabbles with Sami is just annoying.

Why does every rival of Melanie's have to lose their mind? Stephanie, Abby, and now Gabi. Granted Abby's mental break happened over Austin but still, the writers can't have a level playing field and not resort to all these 20something women having mental breaks? I mean if they were actually exploring the issue of mental disease appearing in some cases in the early 20s then I'd be interested but as it stands this is just writers being lazy and cheating in their own story.

DS1

DS1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Nicole loses the baby under Rafe's care, thereby giving EJ ammunition to go ballistic on Rafe.

Athenaeus

Athenaeus

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:16 PM

I think the Onset of Madness that befalls The Rivals of Melanie is because they (and the rest of us) just can't understand why Grown Men would be drawn to an-above-average-attractive-but-not-gorgeous Grown-Woman whom insists on speaking, facially reacting, and behaving in a manner consistent with someone who was a victim of incest when they were younger, never got treatment, and thus has maintained the speech/patterns/baby-like ways of interacting with the people in her life in the present.

Ironically, The Romantic Obssession and Crae-Crae McStalkin' storylines happen in real-life a lot more than most people would like to admit. But, of course, since this is DAYS, a strange parallel universe where no woman can ever REALLY be entirely happy and fulfilled without a man to fill the emptiness within it does make a certain amount of sense.

Watching Jennifer has become a painful experience because no matter what she says or is talking about the subtitles that you can almost see running at the bottom of the screen always say the same thing:

"I Am Incomplete Without A Man... Could YOU Be The Next Man... We've Only Talked On Five Separate Occasions About Work/Politics but Will You Marry Me... Because Without A YOU My Life Has No Meaning... The Sole Reason Of My Existence Is To Man-Merge!"

Lately, I just feel angry when it comes to The Demise of Daytime and DAYS and feel that the networks have gone out-of-their way to truck-in toxic, sexist, no-talent writers and no-talent younger actors that poison the audience, lower the ratings, and then force cancellation.

What scares me is how a lot of soaps were actually better in their earlier-to-mid-years then they were towards the end.

DAYS seems to determine to revive itself to get renewed or to end with dignity.

Still, the trashing of some many super-couples is vexing.

With age, maturation, and learning comes growth and functionality and there comes a point where the only way to believably engineer the mechanics and split-up a couple is a coma or presumed death.

The bullshit they've used to break-up so many of these couples when their break-up years should have been long-behind them is also largely responsible for viewer anger.

Edited by Athenaeus, Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:41 PM.

miniapple

miniapple

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 2:04 PM

Seriously, Billie: worst spy ever. She has now snooped 3 times in the Dimera mansion, and has been caught every single time. It's really not surprising, since she apparently never completed Spying 101: Act Casual. She's been weird every time she's been in the mansion.

Carrie, Rafe: I really don't care. I especially don't care that Rafe is pissy about Carrie deciding to go back to Austin. Shut up. Stick closer to Nicole, and I won't have to tell you to shut up all the time. Speaking of Nicole, is there any word out there about AZ being pregnant? She seemed to be sporting the standard "pregnant actress" ensemble today with her baggy shirt, long scarf, and large purse.

As much as KA has taken heat lately for the Alamainia stuff, I thought her scenes today were very good. True, she can't cry, but her emotions came through in her face, and everything else seemed spot on. Maybe it's because of the recency of the Gina stuff - it just elevates her acting as Hope by default.

One last note, directed at my DVR: please do not ever again use this as a synopsis, as I was honestly terrified to even press play. "John returns to Marlena and fills her in."

VineyJoy

VineyJoy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 2:47 PM

It's beyond me why Matt Ashford keeps going back to DAYS, when he is continually shitted upon by Corday and Co.

Money. To enhance his AFTRA pension. To improve the health bennies component of his pension. Can't really blame him but, damn, he's (IMO) one of the better actors and the PTSD S/L had so much potential. Instead they keep SC's melanoma and LR's repulsive lips.

Athenaeus

Athenaeus

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 3:15 PM

Matt Ashford's acting would have taken him far had he been on a soap that insisted on universally talented actors and universally talented writers. Beyond that, the fact that he and his considerable talents have been wasted for the last 20 years on devotion to a woman that no man with any self-respect would remain devoted to does not help matters. It's odd, Jennifer and Jack were once made of win but now she's the express ticket to hell for any male or male lead she's paired with because the pairing means nothing as Jennifer will blame and loyalty shift her way to whomever comes next without a shred of regret or ambivalence. When she does circle back to an old flame it's merely because there are no other available properties on the market.

Edited by Athenaeus, Apr 13, 2012 @ 3:16 PM.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 3:16 PM

"John returns to Marlena and fills her in."

"Oooooooh, Johhhhhhnnnnnn." *gasp, gasp, gasp* "I've missed you sooooooooo much." *gasp, gasp, gasp* "Oooooooh, how I've deliciously and exquisitely missed you." *gasp, gasp, gasp* [/Marlena]

Edited by Bella, Apr 13, 2012 @ 3:17 PM.

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 3:48 PM

TobinAlbers
Why does every rival of Melanie's have to lose their mind? Stephanie, Abby, and now Gabi.

I have no idea. But I hate that it's happening to Gabi now because I like her. I've liked her since she popped up in 2009 (though Gabriela, not Camilla, was playing her at the time). So it sucks that she's yet another girl being thrown under the bus for Melanie (whom I also like, but not really with Chad -- real-life couples really do have that anti-chemistry that turns you off to them).

Bella
"Oooooooh, Johhhhhhnnnnnn." *gasp, gasp, gasp* "I've missed you sooooooooo much." *gasp, gasp, gasp* "Oooooooh, how I've deliciously and exquisitely missed you." *gasp, gasp, gasp* [/Marlena]

Actually, surprisingly, there was very little of that today. Still some, but not a whole lot, which threw me for a loop.

Did Hope just hug Billie? After actually thanking her? Considering their history, those were the last things I expected to see Hope do. But it was still nice.

Rayman

Rayman

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

In the EJ and Nicole scenes, I was completely distracted by the fact that they ended up sitting on the coffee table.
Really? The coffee table? With the couch only a half a foot farther? Oh, those wacky wealthy people! Always setting new trends...

LonePirate

LonePirate

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 4:52 PM

Rayman:

In the EJ and Nicole scenes, I was completely distracted by the fact that they ended up sitting on the coffee table.
Really? The coffee table? With the couch only a half a foot farther? Oh, those wacky wealthy people! Always setting new trends...

Given everything that has happened on that couch, would you want to sit on it? I certainly would have preferred sitting on the table as well.

cmaybur

cmaybur

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:22 PM

Given from what I remember of Gary Tomlin's stint as EP on "One Life to Live" (with Whitesell and Broderick as head-writers), Gary loves his young, buff, shirtless guys; so I would venture to say that Chad, Will, and Sonny aren't going anywhere.

Gary added the following to the OLTL canvas: Rex (pretty, blond, and buff), Chad (he worked for Blair at the Sun, and had no purpose other than to be frequently shirtless around her; and he was on contract!), a recast Seth (the original actor left and went on to play Superman, and instead of just disappearing the character, they brought in, and gave a contract to, another buff hunk to not do much of anything other than to look pretty), Al Holden (the first actor cast was a pretty twink before someone figured out the role required actual talent and Nathaniel Marston was cast instead), plus Cristian Vega and Will Rappaport who were already present. And of course Ty Treadway as both Colin and Troy MacIver, the latter of which rarely had a shirt on.

prican58

prican58

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:38 PM

Maybe every remaining soap should just call it quits at the same time. Maybe the genre really is dead and the life support just needs to stop. It just seems as if the fans nation wide are just so unhappy with all the rebooting, rehiring and refiring of talent both on and behind the scenes.

Back in the glory years there didn't seem to be so much emphasis on ratings, appealing to the demographics and to the advertisers. (Yeah, there was but all that seemed to stay behind the scenes with no spoilers, leaks and whatnot.) It was just about story telling. TPTB back in the 60's - 70's were pretty much the folks who practically invented the genre and knew what they were doing. When they started retiring or dying all the knowledge and instincts went with them.

Now it seems that soaps are just a retread... same actors, writers, producers, etc are hired and fired. This slow death is just inhumane. Even the gay storylines are becoming the go to SL to get attention. No one loved Otalia and CC more than me but even I rolled my eyes when I read she was gonna be doing the gay angle on B & B. Olivia, Venice, the new venture on line and now another soap character. Really? I've never watched B & B and don't intend to now. But I will confess to try to watch her scenes on yt or the CBS site. We'll see. Haven't watched her on line stuff for a while b/c it doesn't excite me. And I actually "preach in that church".

Off to catch up on the Will scenes. At least this is still keeping my attention.

BTW is Gabi really going apeshit over Chad or is she just being a garden variety conniving, manipulative person a la Erica Kane and Lisa Hughes (ATWT)?

CaughtOnTape

CaughtOnTape

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:11 PM

I don't think Gabi's gone apeshit just yet. She's just being generally manipulative and bitchy. She has yet to convince herself that Chad is telling her he really loves her a la Abby and Austin. She's fallen victim to the oldest woman vs woman issue in the book "I would be WAY better for you then SHE is."

I don't think she dislikes Melanie personally, Melanie just happens to be the girl in the way and therefore is labeled the enemy. When/if her infatuation with Chad ever dissipates I wouldn't doubt that she'll feel like a moron for the things she's pulled and not like herself very much.

hypnotoad16

hypnotoad16

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:21 PM

As much as KA has taken heat lately for the Alamainia stuff, I thought her scenes today were very good.

I laughed just as hard at her scenes today. I find her simply awful. And the 'crying?' Lawd just stop writing these type scenes for her already. She cannot do them at all!

Why is Billie doing the worst snooping in the world at the DiMera place?!?

Since I chose to ff through the John and Marlena reunion (sorry I just cannot stand them together), was there any mention of the divorce John and Hope allegedly went to get in Alaimania?

I enjoyed the Rafe and Nicole scenes again today. I'm frightened.

Maybe the genre really is dead

Except the genre is alive and kicking in primetime. Sure maybe we don't call them soaps, but plenty of shows are just that. I don't see why daytime cannot seem to pull it together. Though, I guess hiring the same writers over and over again certainly doesn't help.

For me, the biggest issue with soap story telling these days is the seeming idea that everything has to go so fast - the belief by the folks in charge that somehow soap fans have the attention spans of gnats. I remember when Y&R took years to tell a story. Sure I got annoyed sometimes, but those were good stories. I haven't changed. If the story is worthwhile, believe me I will stick with it. I was faithful to 'Lost', it told a convoluted and complicated story throughout 6 years. I had to wait for nearly a year between seasons towards the end of the show and I didn't care. It had my attention.

No one loved Otalia and CC more than me but even I rolled my eyes when I read she was gonna be doing the gay angle on B & B

My eyes rolled too. But I have to admit I am happy she's back on a soap, so the tivo will be recording B&B and I will get to know the show again.

DS1

DS1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:28 PM

Except the genre is alive and kicking in primetime. Sure maybe we don't call them soaps, but plenty of shows are just that. I don't see why daytime cannot seem to pull it together. Though, I guess hiring the same writers over and over again certainly doesn't help.

Yeah, I agree.

Though I do think a show like the current 90210 is actually worse than Days. Prime-time shows seem to get support just by virtue of being in prime time.

Edited by DS1, Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:29 PM.

Ulkis

Ulkis

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:54 PM

For 90210, it's less that it's a primetime show and more that it's on the CW. If 90210 was on any other network besides the CW, it probably would have been cancelled by now.

hypnotoad16

hypnotoad16

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, Revenge - are all soaps. Isn't Smash just a musical soap? Actually so is Glee when you get right down to it. American Horror Story? Horror soap.

Ringer and 90120 are certainly soaps (unfortunately Ringer seems not long for this world).

We may not call most of these soap operas, but come on - all the traditional elements are there.

I do find it hard to believe that any show (including 90120) is worse than Days!

The one bright spot on Days is Will and I have not seen enough of him and Sonny, but their smiles the other day were amazing. I'll keep Days on the Tivo just for these two.

Edited by hypnotoad16, Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:06 PM.

prican58

prican58

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

I get what y'all are saying re soaps still being valid on prime time. But clearly it is not working in daytime. Soap opera, daytime drama or serial, it is on life support and there don't seem to be any geniuses out there with some magic bullet to cure it.

It's curious that so many of us are still interested in this frustrating format. We don't seem to be able to completely break away from these shows.Hate it, yet love it.

I guess we'll just have to enjoy the ride, wherever it may end.

Re soaps going too fast. I seem to recall back in the day a major complaint was how long it took to tell a story. I remember being frustrated at times with how situations dragged on. Seems we've gone to the other extreme. There's got to be a happy medium.

Athenaeus

Athenaeus

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

I think The Core Issue is the pacing and the over-processing + contrived drama build-ups when shit could be easily resolved in much less time even with many of the characters being as stupid as they are.

Prime-Time Shows and The Better Soaps in/on Their Better Days...

(And to their credit Days HAS learned how to Speed Things Up MUCH more of the time!)

... know how to play and pay-off the storyline arcs and conflicts and resolutions in a timely fashion. The Soaps have never quite mastered this perfectly because their entire format was designed to magnify emotional build-up, release, detonation, and aftershock (forethought/planning/control/efficiency were never the priority) and to drag-their-shit-out over years with Y & R being the biggest and worst culprit. It's hard to adapt and evolve up and away from that original model when there has been so little commitment to nurturing and modernizing the soaps.

My current thinking is that Days (preparing for cancellation) will have the characters join-forces to bring-down Stefano once and for all. And if they are renewed they can always rez (resurrect) his ass again (if they want to) and if not and this is it then he'll finally get what he deserves.

As for today, there were actually many great moments...

John & Marlena (or anyone that matters) reuniting before the weekend is always a nice thouch though I think it would have been more effective if they'd had their dramatic and weepy reunion at The Penthouse (though they wouldn't have run into Carrie if they did) and she'd just said Tell Me Everything! Actually, this reunion was fairly tastefully handled compared to some of their more overwrought reunions which has been basically everything after The Pier 1991 and The Plane.

Hope and Bili were rather sweet -- and it also was nice to see Ciera Of The Corn whom has apparently returned from her Month Long Playdate/Slumber-Party at Caroline's -- though Hope was clearly a little nervous about Bili being there and "getting too close" -- and in this town where only Marlena and Roman seem to have good ex-spouse boundaries who can blame her -- I felt she was genuinely grateful to Bili. Of course, since this was a Hope storyline, there HAD to be some selfishness involved and her Heartfelt "Don't Die On Me Bo!" Rant was Hope-centric in that it focused on how much SHE Had Suffered to get back to him and how awful HER Life would be and how much SHE Would Suffer if he died.

EJ and Nicole were sweet although I was like "Dude, Of Course, she loves you, don't be such an idiot!" (His Hugh Grant Stuttering + Eyelash Fluttering is irritating too!) and it seems like the show keeps trying to throw-us Red Herrings + Chem Tests on what the Final Pairings will look like.

Sami seemed to be getting all buttery about Lucas... and EJ.

Meanwhile the Carrie + Rafe courtship of suffering continued and it was so very nice to have Marlena (Retired Adulteress Harlot Of True Love Par Excellence!) grill her on her bullshit.

Edited by Athenaeus, Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:17 PM.

Luckylyn

Luckylyn

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:20 PM

I seem to recall back in the day a major complaint was how long it took to tell a story. I remember being frustrated at times with how situations dragged on. Seems we've gone to the other extreme. There's got to be a happy medium.

I totally agree. I feel like Will's coming out has mostly been well done but at points it has moved quite slowly and been repetitive. On the other hand, Rafe and Carrie emotionally checked out of their marriages ridiculously quickly even before any infidelities were discovered. I can buy Rafe and Carrie maybe lusting for each other at this point but some great love I don't see. Rafe isn't in mourning for his marriage at all. I get that he's angry at her but shouldn't he be missing his wife and family while struggling to move on from Sami? His love for his wife was like a light switch. He's all about Carrie with Nicole saving as a hobby.

I don't see how we can find Rafe or Carrie sympathetic when they were having an emotional affair before their marriages went bad, and they seem to feel self righteous about it. I think the reason Rafe/Carrie bothers me more than EJ/Sami is that everyone including EJ and Sami acknowledge how messed up their dynamic is. We've got characters actively expressing what a bad idea the combination of EJ and Sami can be. No one other than Sami has pointed out the betrayal of Rafe and Carrie having an emotional affair and making out with each other while married to others. They had Austin begging Carrie to work things out with him as if she hasn't betrayed him at all. The fact that Carrie is Sami's sister doesn't seem to matter to anyone. The fact that Sami is a horrible person doesn't change the fact that Carrie should feel some conflict about chasing after her sister's husband. Things between Carrie and Sami were for once good, and Carrie torpedoed that without feeling any angst over it. All her angst is centered around Rafe. Even Austin is just a consolation prize to be used by Carrie since she thinks Rafe is unavailable. In her mind, Rafe lusting after his wife's sister is okay as long as that sister is her. Meanwhile Rafe having sex with someone else after ending his marriage with Sami and not currently being in a relationship with Carrie is an epic betrayal in her mind. Rafe should be faithful to Carrie even if they aren't actually together but shouldn't have to be faithful to his wife Sami. Someone other than Sami or EJ needs to point out the wrongness of Rafe and Carrie in order to keep them from being insufferable.

Athenaeus

Athenaeus

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 7:20 AM

One of the reasons this storyline has been so much fun is because of the level of Salem Elite Enabled Hypocrisy and Adulterous Harlotry that Cafe (Carrie + Rafe) have brought to the table and (until recently) had not been called-on. If Sami did what Carrie did the town would have been on her like flies on shit, but, because it was Her Royal Highness The Princess Carrie the fact that she emotionally began cheating on Her Husband, went after her Sister's Husband, and blamed-it-all on Abigail's Attempted Adulterous Harlotry (and all in the name of True Love and/or Boredom > Leading to A Catholic Affair Of The Heart > Seeking A Marital Upgrade via Anullment + Divorce via The Hypocrital Defense of Austin Just Wasn't My Soulmate After All/Anymore) it somehow didn't mean quite the same thing. It's also been nice to have Ne'er Do Wells Sami and Lucas get a chance to shine and bust The Beautiful People on their shit. I actually think Rafe looks the worst in all of this because his motivation clearly has been I-use-you-to-climb-higher. Had Rafe really loved Sami, he would have worked harder to understand her and repair the damage, but the ease with which he moved-on with her sister and the sanctimonious justification he used to pull-it-off makes him look like the biggest user in town.

Sigh, even though Rafe is an asshole, I still feel he and Carrie are meant to be because they are so well-matched, she's a princess, and he's so much like her Dad there's no way she and Austin would naturally hold-up against that matched-soulmatiness which is what usually is behind most soap-splits and splits-in-real-life too!

Edited by Athenaeus, Apr 14, 2012 @ 7:23 AM.

DS1

DS1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 7:50 AM

If Rafe really wants Carrie, why doesn't he just give up this charade with Nicole? She's pretty scrappy. She'll find a way to get EJ off her back somehow. She's always found a way. (Of course, why she doesn't simply leave town is beyond me. That seems the easiest way to get away from EJ rather than having another man pretend to be the father of your baby. Somehow the latter scenario seems worse to me, even though both involve not allowing a father to get know his child. The latter scenario with Rafe makes it seem as though Nicole wants to get back at EJ rather than actually protect her child from him. Well, maybe that is what her motivation is. Plus, Rafe's plan seems to be a lot more stressful than just leaving town. With Rafe's plan, you have to deal with EJ going ballistic constantly for having Rafe pretend to be the daddy, since clearly he isn't falling for the lie.).

Considering all the stuff Nicole has done to Chloe and to Arianna, I'm not sure why Rafe really thinks Nicole needs rescuing. Yeah, I know she wants love, but that's not quite the same thing as needing a savior.

Edited by DS1, Apr 14, 2012 @ 8:42 AM.

hypnotoad16

hypnotoad16

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 9:39 AM

I seem to recall back in the day a major complaint was how long it took to tell a story.

I am in no way advocating going back to that extreme. My point was more about how quickly everything moves to the detriment of the storyline. Rafe and Carrie 'fell in love' in about 5 seconds flat. Daniel and Jennifer were soulmates in about the same amount of time.

Shoot back in the day, it took almost a year for Bo and Carly to share their first kiss! I'm not saying the same should be done now, but for gosh sakes I would think for two people that are married to others (Rafe and Carrie) that it should probably take a bit longer than 5 seconds to fall in love and there should be some angst involved.

I hated this Hope and John storyline (and certainly didn't want to go on forever), but at the same time the thing flew and made no sense. First they are going to Alaimania to get divorced, then a few days later they are Princess Gina and the Pawn again. Only a moment later they are looking for some egg and then back to Hope and John. Now they are back in Salem. Did they get the divorce?

When the show is all plot and nothing else, its no fun to watch.

"Don't Die On Me Bo!" Rant was Hope-centric in that it focused on how much SHE Had Suffered to get back to him and how awful HER Life would be and how much SHE Would Suffer if he died.

Typical Hope.

Edited by hypnotoad16, Apr 14, 2012 @ 9:40 AM.

DS1

DS1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 9:58 AM

I do find it hard to believe that any show (including 90120) is worse than Days!

I think the pacing on 90210 is as bad as Days, and they seem to have a propensity for dropping plot lines. Their romances also move incredibly fast by prime time standards. It is an incredibly odd prime time show though. How it has managed to survive, even on the CW, is a bit perplexing. It's really, really bad. I'm not how the writers on that show have managed to stay employed. No wonder the actors want to leave.

I think Ringer works because of the actors the show has on it, but I don't necessarily think the actual writing is any different from what you'd see on a soap. You have to suspend your disbelief a lot. The only reason I watch it is because Ioan Gruffud is on it. Take him out of it, and I'm not sure if I'd keep watching.

I think some of the storylines on Grey's Anatomy and especially Private Practice have been pretty weird and defy reality, but as with Ringer, I think it's the actors who make these watchable rather than the actual writing itself. Same with Glee, I think. I've only seen a couple of episodes of that one, but I was a bit taken aback when I saw a high school girl on that show still believing in Santa and the other teens on that show rallying around to keep the illusion alive.

While the acting on Days isn't the strongest, I do think the actors on prime time soaps benefit from having more time and the chance to do more takes. If Days actors are forced to do everything in one take, then I can see why the acting would be bad. I think it's the rare actor who can get it right in one take. Granted, I still think actors like Drake Hogestyn and Galen Gering and possibly Kristian Alfonso would still be terrible, but there are other actors on the show who I think would probably improve if given a little more time to get it right (i.e Alison Sweeney, the younger actors playing Melanie and Gabi, even Dr. Dan, etc.) Then there are the actors who I think do fine with one take (James Scott, Ariane Zucker), but would probably be even better or be able to make adjustments if they didn't have to get it right the first time.

I think it's easier to notice to the deficiencies of Days because it's on everyday. In that way I think prime time shows also have another advantage over them. But if one were to watch each episode of 90210 in succession rather than over time as we generally watch prime time shows, I think the badness level would reveal itself just as easily as it does with Days. I do think those other shows are better than Days though. The writing really needs to improve. But maybe it can't if Ken Corday is dictating everything.

Edited by DS1, Apr 14, 2012 @ 10:22 AM.

CaughtOnTape

CaughtOnTape

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 10:45 AM

Writing on Prime Time is just better and it should be, more people are watching. Sure, you can pick and choose episodes that suck on some prime time shows, but for the most part, the shows hold attention and keep viewers. Grey's Anatomy has been going back and forth with Lexie and Mark now for over 2 years and they still aren't back together and just when you think they dropped the story a scene pops up where Lexie hears Mark say something or vice versa or she looks at him longingly across a room. They are definitely supposed to be the rooting couple yet they haven't been together in quite awhile. These are things daytime is missing.

Days also has a propensity for forgetting the history of it's characters, which causes confusion in viewers. Jennifer, Jack, EJ and Sami are the worst offenders from where I sit. This is because daytime, in much more frequency then prime time, does not write stories that are character centric. They are story centric and you slap characters in there to fit the direction of the story. Nevermind that the character you slapped in there told someone years ago they'd NEVER do what they are seemingly doing right at that moment. And with the internet, it takes only a visit to YouTube to find the exact scene where the character actually said they'd never do that. So fans cry foul and writers ignore it....or give us some kind of bullshit explanation like "it had to happen naturally".

Things like JJ being in boarding school are glaring problems. Jack and Jennifer have a history that is clear, there are no questions about either of them. Their characters were fleshed out and given foundations years ago. One of those foundations was their contentious relationships with their parents and the fact that they HATED being put in boarding school. So does it make any kind of sense that they shoved their kid into one? Abby was never in one, why would JJ be? I get that maybe JJ wasn't cast when Jennifer returned, so cast some brunette 6 year old to run into a room 3 or 4 times....bam, done. The kid gets paid scale and everyone's happy. The fact that they didn't do this leads fans to believe the writers just don't give a shit. Which is the crux of why daytime sucks right now, IMO - writers just don't give a shit. About the history or the show. They have a job to do which is to tell compelling stories and if that means twisting history then so be it.

hypnotoad16

hypnotoad16

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:01 PM

Things like JJ being in boarding school are glaring problems. Jack and Jennifer have a history that is clear, there are no questions about either of them. Their characters were fleshed out and given foundations years ago. One of those foundations was their contentious relationships with their parents and the fact that they HATED being put in boarding school. So does it make any kind of sense that they shoved their kid into one? Abby was never in one, why would JJ be?

See? You do a much better job explaining what I'm trying to say about the writing and stories for soaps these days. This example is certainly one of the huge problems.

Most of these characters have been around a long time and fans 'know' them and their history. So this process the writers seem to do of choosing a story and then randomly sticking characters into it - even when it makes not a lick of sense - is poor writing, poor planning and poor storytelling. And it doesn't just happen on Days.

I just don't get it. I also don't get why I keep expecting it to change!

oreo8704

oreo8704

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 1:05 PM

I think the pacing on 90210 is as bad as Days, and they seem to have a propensity for dropping plot lines. Their romances also move incredibly fast by prime time standards

I recall someone commenting that a story wasn't working because the new 90210 was trying to recreate a love triangle in five or so episodes that the original took a season or two to do. A couple of the other teen soaps also move really fast with romance.

Edited by oreo8704, Apr 14, 2012 @ 1:08 PM.

LonePirate

LonePirate

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

I'm not sure if the CW teen soaps are a good comparison for Days. Those shows are largely targeting younger audiences and if middle age or older audiences happen to enjoy them, then great.

Days is trying to target younger, middle-age and older audiences and sometimes what those audiences want to see does not overlap. It could be a case of the show trying to please everyone and it fails spectacularly in trying to do so.

Personally, I think the show should narrow its focus on fewer characters and take the time and care to write them better and equally. There are far too many characters on the show right now and the show doesn't know what to do with most of them - or it doesn't care what happens to them. Jack and Madison would seem to fall into that category as the show hasn't written much for them (Jack) or has written crap for them (Madison) in the past month or two. Carrie and Austin have at least had their own stories recently which some fans have enjoyed.

There are always going to be upset fans when characters/actors are cut; but this show desperately needs to thin the herd. In fact, some more probably need to be cut in order to achieve some reasonable sustainability with the remaining ones. Hopefully the show will be better as a result since it will have less to focus on and develop.

Terrible Towel

Terrible Towel

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 8:27 PM

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial,]Nothing good comes out of it and everyone gets slaughtered by it. Go EJole, go EJole![/font]

Nicole and Rafe are getting slaughtered because Sami and Ej can't stay away from each other.

it's safer for everyone around them when they're together because they're only destructive to each other when they're apart and they're destructive to anyone else they're with.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 8:47 PM

So, it's safe to assume that Ken Corday hates Matthew Ashford? It's either that or Melissa Reeves doesn't want to work with him anymore. I think he & Reeves were friendly in the 80's when they were all the rage and had that big wedding but it doesn't seem that way so much now. I would suggest Ashford going back to GH but I think that show is already too cast heavy. The good ole days of soap hopping are done and I don't think Ashford has ever done nighttime work. It's too bad because he is a good dramatic actor along with being a very good comedy actor. That's a pretty rare talent.