Days Of Our Lives

• Please log in to reply

114809 replies to this topic

sophiapet

sophiapet

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 8:32 AM

I know Rafe2 is a murderer, etc...but his facial expressions during the fall of EJ and then saying: "I need a lawyer" was for me, entertaining. The dude just cracks me up.

Melanie changing her name to Jonas and having her parents there to celebrate it was very sweet. Man, I gotta stop reading the damn spoilers because if I wouldn't have read that CC was leaving the show, the scene would've been even more poignant to me. I also cracked up when Daniel said: "What the firecracker"

Alas Taylor, you run right into the drug infested pier. Where's a dealer when you need one?

AnoushkaNYC
Rafe seems like the bigger jerk. While Fafe had a dumb smirk, Rafe's smirk was full of smugness.

Well, I dunno know. If I were recovering from a car accident in the hospital and then kidnapped, put in a dungeon, was threatened that an innocent child (Ali) would be kidnapped if I were to do this or that, beat up, brainwashed, put in an asylum, taken away from my family, then I would be quite smug too. If only Rafe were around when EJ devilishly laughed when he found out that Rafe died when he ran away, because it would have been an opportune time to give the laugh right back. And this is that I'm an EJ fan! Hold the phone, I just got a flashback of how Rafe didn't give 2 shits about Ari before and after her death. AnoushkaNYC, I take it all back!

DS1

DS1

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 9:04 AM

I don't know if it's the acting or what, but Rafe kind of gives off the impression that he enjoys EJ is such a jerk because it makes him look good by comparison. Something about the way he's portrayed comes off that way.

Don't get me wrong; what EJ has done is terrible. But it's as if Rafe likes that EJ does these terrible things because Sami won't put him on a pedestal.

So, uh, when is Austin coming back?

hockeypuck2

hockeypuck2

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 9:19 AM

Can someone tell me how Bo and Hope got together again? What happened to Carley?

They got back together when Bo realized there was the body parts scheme going on while Hope was in prison and he broke her out. Carley is still in Salem, but not for much longer. She and Bo split up when he got back together with Hope.

What happened to Mel and Phillip and Chloe? What happened to Chloe's baby?

Mel and Phillip split up when it was found out that he was the father of Chloe's baby. Phillip left for Chicago with the baby after he was granted custody of him when Chloe attempted suicide.

Does anyone know whether Drake Hogestyn will come back on the show now that they rehired Deidre Hall?

I'm not certain, but I think he's supposed to come back at the same time as Deidre Hall.

sophiapet

sophiapet

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 9:36 AM

DS1 So, uh, when is Austin coming back?

Dunno. But DH, I don't think I'll love the show more when you return. I may in the minority but I could neverevernevereverneverever get on the Marlena train. And that goes for you too DrakeH. I'm also neither hot or cold for Carrie and Austin's return. Jack, yes. And Eugene and Calliope. Oh, wait.

Athenaeus

Athenaeus

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 9:55 AM

Best of all... it will be REAL Austin (Patrick Muldoon -- Of the perfect chest and facial/bodily bone structure!) coming back with REAL Carrie (Christie Clark). One of the things that hurt this show in the past was the disastrous recast of Patrick Muldoon with Austin Peck whose adequate-but-not-as-hot-as-Patrick-looks and penchant for bad overacting -- and Religious Fundamentalism -- doomed him from the start and Tracy Middendorf was just no Carrie. Soap Opera Fans emotional ties to actors, characters, history run very deep and just should not be messed with. Some actors are just too hot and too emotionally connected with the fans to ever be replaced successfully and (between stints) it's best if they are in Europe / Coma'd / Kidnapped / Presumed Dead until they're ready to return. Though many of the stories are Shakespearean the length and depth of the emotional relationship(s) between the musical team, writing team, actors, and audience goes down to a level way beyond it which is why recasts suck. That's why Presumed Dead usually works the best because it most solidly lays the very best of set-ups for the Emotional Detonations that will then occur with Their Dramatic Return From The Dead when their "Soulmate" has "You were dead, I mourned, and then I moved-on!" with someone with whom they the surviving spouse (usually) have infinitely less chemistry.

[The only exception to that, of course, was the RoJohn / Marlena / Roman triangle where Roman couldn't begin to generate a fraction of the heat produced by MarJohn.]

I still get shivers remembering Marlena and RoJohn at The Docks! What is funny is she was only actually gone 4-5 years but it felt like An Eternity and Drake and Dee sold -- and over the years have basically continued to sell -- that shit like nobody's business. The moment that Marlena returned you just knew the writing was all over the wall, that the blood was in the water, and that Roman and Izzie B's days were numbered.

And when Marlena returns to Salem... so will I.

Days was wise to exit her and John on a good (if rushed) note since at that time (and with all the budget cuts) any thought/inkling of them possibly returning was probably an absolute impossibility though given the nature of this industry perhaps someone should've. Hell, even Shane & Kim reunited eventually and without an extended contract return by either of the actors.

The problem now is how will they create any real tension or drama where the two of them are concerned as Marlena and John are usually at their very-very best when one or the other has been Abducted / Presumed Dead, when they are then DESPERATELY LONGING for each other, and then when they are blissfully FINALLY REUNITED in The Most Dramatic Fashion Possible. They are one couple that gets boring when they are happy and content too long yet it becomes increasingly challenging to believeably break them up and then reunite them without it then becoming Bo & Hope-ish in terms of it's level of retread and fucktardedness.

I will really miss Carly and her portrayer Crystal Chappell. The problem with Carly is the same problem they have with Billi... both characters work well with Bo... but only so long as Hope is not around.

It occurs to me that they are probably now bringing back The Vets to save the show and (in case they should fail) to have the most memorable characters back on the canvas when the end comes a la Another World.

Edited by Athenaeus, Jul 12, 2011 @ 11:13 AM.

Butterkup7

Butterkup7

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 10:40 AM

I just wonder how many other people they will have to get to be able to afford bringing them all back.....and I'm not really caring about them coming back at all (although I like looking at PMuldoon :)

cmahorror

cmahorror

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 11:02 AM

Add me to the table of really not caring about the return of Marlena, Carrie, Austin, or John (unless we could get the John who was involved with Ava, I loved him). I have not missed these characters one bit since they left and really have no desire to see them again. Add to that the fact that we are losing CC and LS, not even close to a fair trade.

How are they writing some of these characters out? Here is an idea: Fafe escapes and goes on a rampage. Taylor and Dario are killed. Fafe is killed.

And what are they doing with bringing Jack back? An e-mail? Because those certainly can't be faked. When does MA start appearing? There had better be some pretty good retconning going on here.

I agree that the confrontation scene was really good. I actually didn't mind Taylor (for once) but I really wish Nicole had been there. I was also glad that in the end, EJ grabbed his kids pictures - maybe he is finally getting what he has really lost and what is more important. Since EJ tried to turn the kids against Sami, seeing him get it didn't bother me one bit.

Amazing, once you get him out of the Taylor lovefest - I actually enjoy watching JS. The pain on his face when he realized that his son was rejecting him - played perfectly.

insanityproject

insanityproject

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 11:42 AM

I see John, Marlena, Austin and Carrie returning as a good thing because it will put Sami into the right context. She's become the heroine of the show when she used to be the scrappy anti-heroine. Placing her against the more pure Carrie and the more thoughtful Marlena will give Sami back of her edge back. At least, I hope so.

James Scott did a very good job showing EJ as devastated but my sympathy was more with Stefano in thinking EJ was an idiot. Putting aside the evil of the Two Rafes plan, Stefano was right to blame EJ for messing it up because of his "love" for that half-wit Taylor. I was also V. annoyed that the pain of Taylor, the sister husband stealer, was the focus and not Nicole. Knowing how the story has played out, I really wish DOOL had not recast Taylor. At least NL could have pulled off being too dumb to live. TB has an innate intelligence about her that makes Taylor seem willfully, instead of naturally, dumb. That's just way worse.

laward

laward

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 11:45 AM

And what are they doing with bringing Jack back? An e-mail? Because those certainly can't be faked. When does MA start appearing?

According to a tweet from Soaps In Depth yesterday, MA is quoted as saying that his return is 'just a rumor' at the moment.

wingatic

wingatic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 11:58 AM

Add me to the table of really not caring about the return of Marlena, Carrie, Austin, or John (unless we could get the John who was involved with Ava, I loved him). I have not missed these characters one bit since they left and really have no desire to see them again. Add to that the fact that we are losing CC and LS, not even close to a fair trade.

I agree 1000%. Just what we needed--More hypocritical, self-righteous characters to suck the oxygen out of Salem.

Athenaeus

Athenaeus

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 12:14 PM

I agree 1000%. Just what we needed--More hypocritical, self-righteous characters to suck the oxygen out of Salem.

LOL! So true although can any character on this show really hold a candle to self-righteousness and hypocrisy that burns as bright as those held by Suhhh-Mahhhn-thuhhh, Caroline, or Hope Brady?

Edited by Athenaeus, Jul 12, 2011 @ 12:18 PM.

Tab19

Tab19

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 12:15 PM

I really wish DOOL had not recast Taylor. At least NL could have pulled off being too dumb to live. TB has an innate intelligence about her that makes Taylor seem willfully, instead of naturally, dumb. That's just way worse.

insanityproject - thank you! I couldn't figure out why TB wasn't working for me any more -- but this nails it. I found NL pretty much unwatchable, but recently, it's been MUCH easier to imagine NL than TB in all of these situations, and this is exactly why.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 12:47 PM

So, I was looking for news on Matthew Ashford and found these bloopers. Pretty damn funny. And all new to me. Scroll down the page and listen for Alice and the "f" word.

http://gewww.daytime...matthew-ashford

Edited by rulesoftravel, Jul 12, 2011 @ 12:48 PM.

motheroftwo

motheroftwo

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 1:16 PM

Regardless of the storyline--EJ today broke my heart and Stefano, with tears just brimming, was amazing.

CopShop

CopShop

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 2:29 PM

Except the point TPTB missed was that it would've been much more impactful for EJ not to lose the good woman (Taylor) but the right woman for him (Nicole).

And Nicole not even being in the damn scene was insult to injury!

Jaclynovascotia

Jaclynovascotia

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 2:42 PM

I remember reading somewhere that MA's first airdate is September 26. I don't remember where, but I remember being disappointed that it's so long from now.

mkitty3

mkitty3

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 2:43 PM

Amazing, once you get him out of the Taylor lovefest - I actually enjoy watching JS. The pain on his face when he realized that his son was rejecting him - played perfectly.

This. I really hope the focus remains on the loss of the kids and not Taylor. I have been fast forwarding through pretty much all of the EJ scenes lately and it breaks my heart. I hope the love can be rebuilt between EJ and I! I saw a glimmer of hope at the end of yesterday's episode.

Edited by mkitty3, Jul 12, 2011 @ 2:44 PM.

hollywoodlegend

hollywoodlegend

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 5:15 PM

Why didn't Ej give Stefano more lip? Seriously, not like Stefano wasn't in on the whole plan... Ej may not have handled things right at the end but it's not really his fault the whole thing blew up. The EJ of old would have told pappa off and threatened him, maybe even strangled him.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 6:25 PM

Wasn't it Stefano who gave Rafe the memory loss drug. He should get a refund.

And wasn't it Stefano who ordered the beatings and had Rafe thrown in the mental institution?

Edited by rulesoftravel, Jul 12, 2011 @ 6:25 PM.

jenmarie

jenmarie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 9:12 PM

Wasn't it Stefano who gave Rafe the memory loss drug. He should get a refund.

I have not watched this show regularly so I missed how Rafe got out of this. What happened did the drug just wear off? Did they give him pills and he hid them under his tongue until Stefano left the room?

Edited by jenmarie, Jul 12, 2011 @ 9:12 PM.

DS1

DS1

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 9:17 PM

Why didn't Ej give Stefano more lip? Seriously, not like Stefano wasn't in on the whole plan... Ej may not have handled things right at the end but it's not really his fault the whole thing blew up. The EJ of old would have told pappa off and threatened him, maybe even strangled him.

Yeah, that part I was confused by too.

I did think EJ was sort of dumb for getting distracted by Taylor, but it seems like everything would have been found out with or without EJ falling for Taylor. No one kept a proper eye on Rafe 2, and that includes Stephano.

Though, if I'm honest, I can't even remember how everything got found out. But I don't think EJ was the only one who dropped the ball.

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 9:22 PM

Could someone who pays more attention than I do take a stab at this question? As Stephano is disowning EJ and blaming his TayHo fixation for bringing down the family, what exactly does that have to do with the current situation? The only thing I can think of at ALL is that the new improved EJ didn't want to let Stephano kill Rafe or Fafe or whoever they thought that was. But Sami, real Rafe, Bo & Hope were already hot on the trail and Stephano either hatched the whole plot to begin with or in cahoots with EJ (wasn't the whole thing to punish Rafe and make Sami's life miserable?). So I totally don't understand why the fact that they got caught has anything to do with EJ and his twu wuv with Taylor. I'm not being sarcastic - is there a reason or are the wonderful writers just expecting us to accept that the downfall is due to EJ and Taylor? It's not as if Come to Jesus EJ went to the cops and confessed to clean his soul for Taylor, they would have got found out with or without her.

I detest EJ so much I enjoyed his misery, like I used to whenever Sami got nailed to the wall for her sins. Nice he finally, too late, realized his juvnile need to hurt Sami could affect his kids, an afterthought in view of his epic romance.

I'm sickened by Nicole forgiving Taylor - Nicole had the horrific childhood, not Taylor. Taylor wronged Nicole, not the other way around. I wish she had kicked her skanky ass into the river with the rest of the garbage. Nicole is bad and admits it. Taylor is a skanky toad who justifies her cheating and sleeping with her sister's husband as kismet or something.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 9:45 PM

I remember reading somewhere that MA's first airdate is September 26. I don't remember where, but I remember being disappointed that it's so long from now.

Maybe it's because of a tweet that went out recently from someone who appears to work in the NBC promos department who said she saw Matt at the studio. https://twitter.com/#!/heyjude14/status...855128487301121

Edited by Irlandesa, Jul 12, 2011 @ 9:45 PM.

bnichol

bnichol

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 10:16 PM

is there a reason or are the wonderful writers just expecting us to accept that the downfall is due to EJ and Taylor?

They've never been on the same page of this plan from day one. But, I think we're supposed to understand that when the shit hit the fan, Stephano wanted to kill Fafe, but EJ, because of his promise to Taylor, wouldn't do it.

Vyk

Vyk

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 10:50 PM

Maxbird
I'm sickened by Nicole forgiving Taylor - Nicole had the horrific childhood, not Taylor. Taylor wronged Nicole, not the other way around. I wish she had kicked her skanky ass into the river with the rest of the garbage. Nicole is bad and admits it. Taylor is a skanky toad who justifies her cheating and sleeping with her sister's husband as kismet or something.

I'm not sickened so much as surprised. I mean, they're sisters. I knew she'd forgive her eventually. I was just shocked she did so this early on after all was said and done.

Honestly, Nicole was much classier about all this than I was, because even though I'd have appreciated that Taylor was willing to eat some serious crow and admit how much of an idiot she'd been, the fact remains that she still broke up her marriage. I wouldn't have been so forgiving that quickly. That said, I can see why she did. Nicole essentially acknowledged that she knew who E.J. really was and what he was truly capable of (which is why she can't cast too many stones at him for what he'd done). Taylor only thought she did, but never really got her rude awakening until now. That was probably what made it easier for Nicole to forgive Taylor so easily.

Meanwhile, with all the Allie mentions, I wonder if that means she's coming back soon? But there'd still be the problem of being there with Rafe if she did. . . .

DS1

DS1

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 11:53 PM

Taylor's acting is awful. All I see is teeth.

And she needs to stop blaming EJ for allowing herself to want to break up Nicole's marriage. Sorry, that's on you Taylor.

AnoushkaNYC

AnoushkaNYC

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2011 @ 6:18 AM

Ari Zucker's portrayal of Nicole broke my heart today (not the first time). There was no glee from Nicole upon learning of Taylor's heartbreak. Every choice she made in her body language portrayed a woman defeated, mourning her losses, her mother, her marriage, the children.....too tired to fight. I suspect that's why she forgave Taylor so quickly, she just doesn't have it in her to fight anymore. She knows they have to make peace sooner or later because it's what her Mother would have wanted and as long as Taylor is sort of eating crow (frankly, I think Taylor should be way more ashamed and sorrowful) she's giving in.

Stefano's anger is probably duofold, not only about preventing him from murdering Fafe but also the stupidity and carelessness of EJ falling for Taylor who would never accept HIM but on top of it, she's his wife's sister and thinking that transition would go smoothly, for the family, for the kids..... etc.

And EJ showing up at Nicole's door, unless he's there to apologize to NICOLE for his responsibility in Faye's death and was totally unaware Taylor was there......he continues to NOT "get it". He's bordering on Mel Gibson behavior.

Writing Wrongs

Writing Wrongs

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2011 @ 6:28 AM

How many kids do Justin and Adrienne have? I seemed to remember back when they left that they had twin boys, one named Victor. Is that right?

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted Jul 13, 2011 @ 8:25 AM

Meanwhile, with all the Allie mentions, I wonder if that means she's coming back soon? But there'd still be the problem of being there with Rafe if she did. . . .

Samantha told Rafe that Allie had known something was wrong. So, once Sami explains to Lucas that EJ was behind BadRafe and that BadRafe is in jail, I don't think there should be a problem.

RoseVioletDaisy

RoseVioletDaisy

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 13, 2011 @ 8:44 AM

I was under the impression that most, if not all, of the returning characters would reappear on September 26 in order to try to capitalize on AMC's first day off the air.

I think Tamara Braun's last day is September 23rd and Chappell's is a few weeks earlier.

It seems that they want to draw a big line in the sand between the current Days and the new/old Days.