ESPN's SportsCenter

• Please log in to reply

1013 replies to this topic

bumblehare74

bumblehare74

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2009 @ 5:51 AM

So by now, I'm sure you're all aware of the Ben Roethlisberger story. Well, prior to a couple of hours ago you wouldn't have been too familiar with it if all you watched was ESPN as for whatever reason, they hadn't actually covered the story. They changed their mind and posted a story a couple of hours ago.

I haven't relied on ESPN as my single source for sports news in a long time. This story had been talked about on the net for a few days. I have been following this website for the story since they posted it. I followed the Vick coverage at PFT from the beginning as well. IMO, their coverage was/is far superior to ESPN's.

bumblehare74

bumblehare74

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2010 @ 11:34 AM

Enough with the yapping about Danica Patrick. There were two women in the Nationwide race, how about giving the other woman equal air time.

I watched the race itself, and ESPN's coverage of the race was equally annoying. Too much Danica Patrick coverage, period.

Edited by bumblehare74, Feb 14, 2010 @ 11:40 AM.

bumblehare74

bumblehare74

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 8:12 AM

LOL, how did I miss this?

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 10:29 AM

Did Barry Melrose get a suspension for his "chickenshit" comment? I've only seen Matthew Barnaby the last couple of days.

Kornheiser, Melrose, prank calls. . . not a good week for the world wide leader.

KADC

KADC

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2010 @ 2:42 AM

Enough with the yapping about Danica Patrick. There were two women in the Nationwide race, how about giving the other woman equal air time.

I would hazzard a guess that the other woman doesn't have the tits-and-ass potential that Danica does. This being ESPN and all. After all, just because you play sports doesn't mean you're not girly, right? *puke*

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Feb 26, 2010 @ 10:53 AM

LOL, how did I miss this?

That is so funny! I watched the clip and got a good chuckle out of that. I like Van Pelt a lot. You could easily, easily tell that wasn't Brian Westbrook.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Dec 30, 2010 @ 12:30 AM

Looks like they've tried to introduce a new feature. "Sportscenter Stars", which has a cheesy little gold logo, and is a little wrap up of the best athletes of the night. My initial feelings are that it is stupid, but then again I wasn't the biggest fan when Sportscenter brought in the internet-like sidebar and now I use that thing like a remote control.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:37 AM

Cage match for Digger vs Seth Greenberg over the topic of Frank Martin & one of Martin's players getting disqualified minutes before they played Syracuse. It was a hot and heated Crossfire style argument with the two seated rally close to one another (facing Bob Ley), with finger pointing and yelling over each other. Digger seemed to want to punch Seth. Digger was adamant that Frank was wrong, and that his compliance officer would tell them first thing, not to do whatever Frank Martin did. So they argued over that a while, whatever.

So then they show some highlights and finally come back to a shot of Ley and Digger and Seth, and I thought it was done, but no. Bob is throwing it to Sage Steele and Kurt Rambis for NBA stuff, and he says "we'll have more talk about the rulebook later" and Digger is like "Yeah!"..."I got him" "Compliance". and it's just so awkward and they flip to Sage and Kurt and they have these uhhhh looks on their faces that are just hilarious.

marleyfan

marleyfan

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 3:13 PM

The Stanley Cup playoffs ended last night, and Sportscenter opens with the NBA?

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2012 @ 10:25 AM

Lots of coverage last night on the Sandusky verdict. One of my favorite moments came when the lawyer Jeremy was talking to throughout the trial (sorry I can't remember his name) asked the DA if it was true she had a plea bargain arrangement with two PSU officials to bring down the other one. She asked the lawyer where he heard that from (i.e. who's the snitch in her office). The lawyer says I can't tell you that....and the DA goes: well I can't tell you about it either. It was soo funny...because it seemed like one of those "gotcha questions" and the DA seemed genuinely surprised that that information had been leaked. She should have said something like "I have no comment on any future cases surrounding this matter". But the way she responded she all but confirmed that there was indeed some kind of plea deal in place. At least that's how I took it.

Anyway, as for that piece of scum (I apologize to scum for the reference) Sandusky. Pure pure evil. Not only did he do what he did to those boys but then he further victimizes them by making them testify in court and drag it out instead of just owning what he did and pleading guilty. I guess when you're in that situation you have nothing to lose so you might as well plead not guilty, but I feel with him dragging it out he further proved that he just doesn't have a soul.

Edited by PoeticJustice32, Jun 23, 2012 @ 11:03 AM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jun 23, 2012 @ 11:30 AM

Lots of coverage last night on the Sandusky verdict.

I'm glad to hear ESPN covered it because whenever I turned to them they were covering sports and the only thing about Sandusky was the stuff on their ticker and a notice at the side that said he had been convicted. I finially gave up and just turned to CNN and HLN.

It'll be interesting to hear how this whole situation will be covered once the college football season gets here especially by whoever has to report the Penn state football games.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2012 @ 3:32 PM

I'm glad to hear ESPN covered it

I was actually a bit surprised at how much time they did spend on it. Now that I think about it, I think I was watching ESPN 2, because when the verdict came in somewhere around 10:30 PM...they covered it from then up until midnight I think. I was watching Anderson Cooper and flipping back and forth (laughing at Sandusky's lawyer running from person to person doing interviews).

I think the level of talk about this depends on when Sandusky gets sentenced. They have 90 days and if they do it on the tail end then it will be closer to the start of the season and hence very fresh in everyone's minds. If he gets sentenced within the next couple of weeks then I don't think it will get as much coverage. But that's in general. The Penn State games are a whole different story because not only is this mess directly tied to them, but Joe Paterno the face of that team for like half a century is gone. They'll want to talk about him and his legacy for sure, and fair or not, that legacy now includes this stuff. You can't really mention one without the other IMO.

Edited by PoeticJustice32, Jun 23, 2012 @ 3:33 PM.

aml77

aml77

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 23, 2012 @ 7:37 PM

The Stanley Cup playoffs ended last night, and Sportscenter opens with the NBA?

Aside from the fact that the NBA playoffs draw better numbers than their NHL counterparts, ESPN has the rights to the NBA and not the NHL. In a tossup on what to lead with, basketball will always win.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Nov 21, 2012 @ 10:04 AM

Sam "Sweet Feet" Gordon on Sportscenter was pretty much the best thing ever. More stuff like this, ESPN. That little girl is awesome. Hannah Storm said Sam was one of her most favorite interviews.

SubwayCola

SubwayCola

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

Judging by last night, get ready for Sportscenter and ESPN to leave Tebow behind and start sucking Notre Dame's cock non-stop for then ext month and a half. It's already insufferable. I give it two days until they declare Manti Teo or whatever his name is as HTE GREATEST LINEBACKER IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL HISTORY!!! and the Heisman winner.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 5:42 PM

It really is over the top. They just had a good 30 solid minutes of coverage. Let's go to the campus live - no, I don't care. They haven't won the national championship, cut it out. Then I tried to dvr NBA Tonight and their crappy Notre Dame coverage oozed all over that too.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

They need to expand "Money Talk" into its own show. Pick one of the thousand talk shows, Around the Horn, PTI, First Take, Mike and Mike, whatever, and replace it.

AyeshaTheGreat

AyeshaTheGreat

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 11:43 PM

They need to expand "Money Talk" into its own show. Pick one of the thousand talk shows, Around the Horn, PTI, First Take, Mike and Mike, whatever, and replace it.

I've never seen this segment since I've long stopped watching Sportscenter. However, when I went to search it, I saw that Darren Rovell is involved. I will wager a guess that this show is similar to the one he left at NBC Sports, CNBC Sports Biz: Game On. Could you tell me more about it?

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 9:03 AM

Hey Ayesha, it sounds like pretty much the same concept. Maybe ESPN's feature was inspired by CNBC's show. And by inspired by, I mean felt threatened by and created to keep them from losing the viewers. I don't know though, which one came first.

But anyway, it seems to be about the same thing - an analysis of money in sports. Sometimes looking at a product and who is making what and how, or highlighting a recent licensing deal or product, and detailing the earnings and relevant figures.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2013 @ 3:37 PM

Boston Marathon Explosions. ESPN has Jeremy Schaap anchoring their coverage in front of a different looking backdrop and a bunch of tv screens that say SC. 2 confirmed dead, 23 injured, and likely live sportscenter the rest of the day on ESPN.

Quent

Quent

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 6, 2013 @ 11:23 AM

I'm with you, Sign In that was just painful to watch (and listen to).  Was Berman always so inept??  I'm asking this as a serious question b/c I didn't have ESPN back in its early day (yeah -- we were the last in the neighborhood to get cable), so I honestly don't know but I've always assumed there was a time when he used to be at least competent.  Now, I'm starting to believe that maybe he always sucked.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Jun 20, 2013 @ 8:53 AM

Well, 6 years later, and ESPN has made another change to the sidebar. It has always shown topics for what is coming up, and occasionally you'd get a time prediction if there was an interview or special feature. But now they have timestamps for everything on the sidebar. It kind of dulls the sidebar to me. Before you'd wonder what the topic was about. But now the topics are reduced to 2 words, and then the time is above them on the sidebar. I hated the sidebar when it came in and I'm not a fan of this change, but I started liking the sidebar, so I'll probably end up finding the specificity useful, provided they are relatively accurate about what airs at what time.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Jun 25, 2013 @ 1:00 PM

Sage Steele's infomercial for Disney.

melissa1925

melissa1925

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2013 @ 12:49 PM

I wonder if these guys feel bad for Tim Tebow ?  I do.