ESPN's SportsCenter

• Please log in to reply

1013 replies to this topic

zooropa

zooropa

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 1:06 PM

I agree that Sportscenter has spawned a generation of local yokel sportscasters who think they have to pun their way through high school highlights just like they see the ESPN guys do. It's ridiculous. And Kenny Mayne? Not funny. Painfully not funny. Why does ESPN think he is?

I'm very grateful that the playoffs have moved Pete Rose's obnoxious mug off TV, at least for today. What a joy it was to watch an entire Sportscenter this morning without having to listen to that jerk.

ETA - So, so tired of ESPN anchors drooling over Favre at every opportunity. They praise him endlessly but, even worse in my opinion, they rarely criticize him even when he deserves it. That interception he threw in OT was a horrendous pass and cost his team the game but they quickly glossed over it on Sportscenter. Yeah, they did say something like 'What was he thinking?' but, after the highlights, they didn't mention it again, instead focusing on the 4th & 26 soft defense as the reason for the Packers' loss. If McNabb had thrown that pass they would have analyzed it to death. They also would have hammered McNabb or any other QB who refused post-game interviews, as Favre did yesterday. But it was the great Brett Favre, so they never mentioned it.

Edited by Sars, Jan 12, 2004 @ 5:47 PM.

silentbob

silentbob

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 1:50 PM

The "advent" of the World Wide Web, for lack of a better phrase, is indirectly responsible IMO. Back in the 80s, the only way we could get scores and highlights before the morning paper was to watch the local news and SportsCenter. But once the web became standard fare, people started looking for live scores (and in the last several years, video highlights) on their own through sites like ESPN.com, among others.

In a way, the straightforward "scores and highlights" presentation on television has been effectively rendered obsolete. If we can get the same (and even more detailed) information on our own -- and often times, in a manner that suits our personal preferences with regard to specific sports and teams -- and in a shorter amount of time, why would we EVER bother to watch the sports news on television anymore? I certainly don't. And in a way, the tickers you see at the bottom of the screen on the Deuce sorta defeat the purpose of watching SportsCenter too. So in my mind, the folks at ESPN probably perceive a need to present the sports news a little differently. A more entertainment-driven style that you probably wouldn't get on the computer screen. If this means constant catchphrases and attempts at witty banter, so be it.

While it isn't fair or accurate to "blame" the web for these seemingly negative changes in SportsCenter, it's certain one of the main factors.

HeavenLy

HeavenLy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 4:08 PM

silentbob, you may have a good point. It is not ESPN or SC's fault we've become a sound byte culture.

I recall the good ole days of SC with Dan, Keith, Bret Haber, and dare I include, Craig Kilborn. It used to be sports with a side of funny. Now it has morphed into something unrecognizable. I think the days of a straight delivery are gone and are obsolete due to the internet.

However, SC should find a better balance between sports and entertainment. The new features do not work. I remember during week 3 of the NFL season, Kenny's Mayne Event feature had Warren Sapp, Ronde Barber, and John Lynch dressed up as pirates reading Peter Pan that was all kinds of wrong. It wasn't funny, and it wasn't interesting. It was just a waste of time.

HVashon

HVashon

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 8:40 PM

I don't catch too much Spurts-center lately. The sight of Linda Cohn's smirk makes me cringe, and don't get me started on Dick Eisen or Stu Scott. The way it is now makes me pine for Warner Wolf's "let's go to the videotape", when 6 minutes of sports at 11:20 was how you found out who won. All you get on local sports casts now is high school football (yawn).

Fox Sports Net tried to compete with ESPN with the National Sports Report, but instead of going with a more straight-laced approach, Fox being Fox, they decided to try to out-do ESPN, complete with a Lewinsky-worn Olbermann as a shallow parody of his former self. It was soon dismantled, although Kevin Frazier did make the transition well to ESPN.

Oh, and "the Magazine" is just the biggest piece of crap in the history of magazine publishing.

Edited by HVashon, Jan 12, 2004 @ 8:43 PM.

Halfpint Ingals

Halfpint Ingals

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 11:10 AM

if you think it is bad now, wait until the decision on pete rose is handed down, especially if he gets in. they will probably give a whole show to it, pretty much like Kobe July 18th. all kinds of debate and viewpoints will really make people sick of SC

cheesesteak

cheesesteak

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 1:07 PM

The upcoming Jayson Williams trial coverage will be enough to keep me away from SC until then.

el mapache

el mapache

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 2:16 PM

And just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, I flip on SC last nite only to find Stuart Scott putting Dennis Rodman on the "Cougar-Piss Hot Seat", asking, "Who's better, Madonna or Carmen Electra?" Click.

Edited by el mapache, Jan 15, 2004 @ 2:33 PM.

MrCecil

MrCecil

Posted Feb 3, 2004 @ 9:38 PM

Micheal Irvin's on some drugs. Drugs that make you angry. Right? Football's over so he's not gonna be on anymore looming over Sean Salisbury, right? He's hyper and he's creepy.

Retail Queen

Retail Queen

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2004 @ 2:21 AM

I seriously thought Michael Irvin was going to rip someone's head off in that segment. He was definitely on something.

samizdat5

samizdat5

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2004 @ 5:00 AM

Michael annoys me to no end sometimes, and I'm a Cowboys fan. He's always shouting; I cannot stand it.

And I can't remember if it was on SC or some SuperBowl post show thing, but Tom Jackson was talking and trying to make a point but you couldn't hear what he was saying because Michael was shouting incoherently overtop of him. He wasn't even shouting words, just making noises.

I don't know if it's drugs or just athlete arrogance but WORD--he's hyper and creepy.

MrCecil

MrCecil

Posted Feb 5, 2004 @ 8:01 PM

Good, I thought it was just me!

Tornado25

Tornado25

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 2:34 PM

I admit I sort of stumbled onto this thread, so I apologize for the lateness of the response to this:

That interception he threw in OT was a horrendous pass and cost his team the game but they quickly glossed over it on Sportscenter. Yeah, they did say something like 'What was he thinking?' but, after the highlights, they didn't mention it again, instead focusing on the 4th & 26 soft defense as the reason for the Packers' loss.

I realize your comment was about SC's handling of Favre on this...but to the point, the 4th and 26 is the reason the Packers lost the game. I'm a Packers fan and I assure you, the INT was terrible and unnecessary. However, if a group 11 men, good enough to get into the NFL, cannot prevent another team from gaining 26 yards (26 YARDS!!) on the most important play of your season to this point, that group of 11 men has effectively cost their team the game. Period. No discussion. This is why Ed Donatell was fired and Brett Favre has his job. And speaking of Favre:

If McNabb had thrown that pass they would have analyzed it to death. They also would have hammered McNabb or any other QB who refused post-game interviews, as Favre did yesterday. But it was the great Brett Favre, so they never mentioned it.

Yes, you're probably right. And justifiably. Because the last time I checked, McNabb has been to how many Superbowls (forget how many he's won)? He's won how many MVPs? (I realize Favre been around longer, but Favre did the MVP and SB stuff in the mid-90s with about as much experience as McNabb has now.) So what, exactly, has McNabb done? Like the vast majority of NFL QBs, not a hell of a lot.

He's a talented QB and I don't deny that. I don't hold him to any higher expectation that any other QB that has the experience he does.

Favre in the 3 or 4 seasons before this one, really hasn't gotten the job done. But, geez, he led the NFL in pass TDs, he had his 10th year in a row with 3000 yards passing, he played most of the season with a broken thumb. Quite honestly, if SC wants to give him a pass, I'm quite certain he's deserved it.

Edit to try to manage length.

Edited by Tornado25, Feb 10, 2004 @ 2:37 PM.

pianodan

pianodan

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2004 @ 4:51 PM

Neil Everett is on my TV right now, and I've never been so pleased to see him. Why? He's at the update desk on ESPNNews! I hope this means he's been permanently demoted from the big show, like Bill Pidto. Worldwide Leader Employee who occasionally posts here, any way you can confirm?

I think Everett has gotten better over the last year or so, but he still stinks and I HATE the "number nine, number nine" non-catchphrase that he uses so he always gets to do number 1 in the top tens. (What is that even a reference to? If it's a hip-hop song I will laugh very hard.) Since I usually watch the 1 am/2 am ET edition, I've been a bit overexposed to Everett's inimitable brand of suck...

cronox5

cronox5

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2004 @ 5:05 PM

(What is that even a reference to? If it's a hip-hop song I will laugh very hard.)

"Revolution 9", The Beatles, The White Album.

It was from when Yoko was starting to destroy the band.

costeltj

costeltj

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 27, 2004 @ 4:27 AM

Neil will still be primarily on the overnight SC....That was probably just a random day on ESPNEWS for him during which you caught him. People seem to be evenly split on those who like him on-air, and those who don't. Trust me though, when some ass clown from "Dream Job" is anchoring the show, Neil won't seem quite so bad....nobody here is happy about this little college-TV-gone-wrong project AT ALL .

cheesesteak

cheesesteak

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2004 @ 12:14 PM

What's the deal with ESPN nowadays? They're producing reality shows. The Page 2 section of their website is now pretty much babes, sports and movies. Their new Page 3 website section is just babes and movies. What demographic are they reaching out to that they don't already have?

pianodan

pianodan

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2004 @ 1:28 PM

It was from when Yoko was starting to destroy the band.

Thanks. How apropos! (also, how embarrassing... I am a professional musician, after all)

And thanks costeltj... but no thanks, heh. I don't really believe the DJ winner will get any airtime. He/she will sign the "yearlong contract," but if he's just not good enough, Jaffe & Co. may never actually use him on SC, as I'm sure the contract allows. (Like how the winner of "The Apprentice" isn't actually going to run one of The Donald's companies... except in that case we'll never know it.)

By the way:

People seem to be evenly split on those who like him on-air, and those who don't.

This doesn't seem like a very good ratio for a TV personality, even not knowing whether you're referring to ESPN people or the public...

(and OT - There's a "Page 3" now? Jeez. I haven't visited ESPN.com since they canned Gregg Easterbrook...)

lindseywalker

lindseywalker

Posted Feb 27, 2004 @ 4:57 PM

I cannot believe how much I still miss Rich Eisen. I swear Stuart Scott looks sad when he anchors now. I like John Anderson and Linda Cohn as Stu's co-pilot, but Van Pelt is just awful. **Sniff** Come back, Rich.

cronox5

cronox5

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2004 @ 5:49 PM

Trust me though, when some ass clown from "Dream Job" is anchoring the show, Neil won't seem quite so bad....nobody here is happy about this little college-TV-gone-wrong project AT ALL

but what you reap is what you sow. by keeping total asshats like Stuart Scott and Chris Berman around with their total shtick act, ESPN is basically telling every aspiring sportscaster that this is how they should do their highlights (that one guy on Dream Job had a catchphrase for EVERYTHING and couldn't have annoyed the audience any more).

Van Pelt is pretty much the one guy i like on Sportscenter anymore. He doesn't do shtick, and sticks to the highlights. Baseball Tonight is easily the best highlights show on ESPN anymore. The mixture of Ravech, Reynolds and Gammons are just great together. Who are they bringing in to replace Valentine though?

and word to the hate for Page 3. Page 2 was and is great just for giving us Bill Simmons, but ESPN has to stop trying to be anything more than a sports station. It's turning into MTV and VH1 now.

Edited by cronox5, Feb 27, 2004 @ 11:36 PM.

Tornado25

Tornado25

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2004 @ 10:55 AM

Baseball Tonight is easily the best highlights show on ESPN anymore. The mixture of Ravech, Reynolds and Gammons are just great together.

Oh, word, word, word! I've loved BBTN since I was 16. Watch both airings every night I can.

John Anderson is my favorite SC anchor and although I loved Stu when he started, he really grates, now. Is nice to see Linda Cohn on the Big Show. It will be very interesting to see if the DJ winner a) gets on-air besides one "you're the winner of DJ appearance" and b) if he/she gets on, if it will be a regular gig.

As far as ESPN.com goes, I don't read page 2 AT ALL since Easterbrook was fired. It's still the best sports site, though.

erik97

erik97

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2004 @ 2:12 AM

I'm in awe at the gigantic piece of shit that was the episode of SportsCenter I just saw. Steve Bertheume and Neil Everett- these are professional broadcasters? The unfunny, pointless "jokes," the masturbation that is the catch phrases, making it all about them. I don't think it's possible to hate two people on TV any more than I do these two.

I'm longing for the winner of Dream Job to be in heavy rotation. They cannot make it any worse than it already is. Hell, I'd rather have Quigs yelling at me for an hour than these two assclowns taking up the cablewaves.

This isn't a sports highlight show. It's two monkeys flinging poo at each other. I was afraid that my TV was going to cave in from the massiveness of the suck.

Edited by erik97, Mar 28, 2004 @ 2:12 AM.

VeronicaNC

VeronicaNC

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2004 @ 2:21 PM

I laughed when I was watching SportsCenter and saw the commercial for Dream Job and somebody was being berated for not pronouncing names right -- I lost count on how many times the SportsCenter guys have mispronounced names -- added letters, changed letters.

cronox5

cronox5

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2004 @ 3:37 PM

yes, Neil Everett is positively the WORST SportsCenter guy ESPN has. I can't stand him. I don't know why but he's way too smug. I really hate him, and another guy I hate is Baseball Tonight's Jeff "I Wish I Was Jim Belushi" Brantley.

flg8or

flg8or

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2004 @ 7:59 AM

Neil Everett is effeminate. He's only on ESPN to balance out Pam Ward.

Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2004 @ 2:45 PM

I laughed when I was watching SportsCenter and saw the commercial for Dream Job and somebody was being berated for not pronouncing names right

During the college basketball season, highlights of almost every game (usually teams from the WAC, Big South, etc.) contains someone mispronouncing a players name.

Illusio

Illusio

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2004 @ 5:54 PM

Jeff "I Wish I Was Jim Belushi" Brantley

Outta my head! Hee.

Agreed that ESPN could do worse than cracking down on existing anchors' mispronunciations. I remember John Anderson correcting himself on a mispronunciation in a show, which he did in a manner both charming and funny. As much as I like watching him, though, I've been sticking to ESPNEWS for updates and avoiding SC like the plague (shut up, Dan Patrick! Shutupshutupshutup!).

VeronicaNC

VeronicaNC

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2004 @ 7:57 PM

During the college basketball season, highlights of almost every game (usually teams from the WAC, Big South, etc.) contains someone mispronouncing a players name.

Ah yes, but also players from the ACC. My very favorite is when they call Rashad McCants, Rashard McGants because I would imagine it pisses him all kinds of off and since I think he is a spolied brat it entertains me for hours when they mispronounce his name, because I am 12.

tinasdad

tinasdad

Posted Mar 31, 2004 @ 8:44 PM

"Slate" article on the festering pile of putrid suck that is "SportsCenter".

http://slate.msn.com/id/2098071/

As God is my witness, I would watch another comprehensive sports highlight show, if only there were one.

Illusio

Illusio

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2004 @ 11:22 AM

Good reading, that, if only for the schadenfreude of it all and for reminiscing about the Dan-and-Keith days. But why didn't the author include Stuart Scott, for crying out loud, or Chris Berman? Too easy a target?

This:

[John] Anderson shares with Linda Cohn a tendency to add to this wiseass voice a demonic open-mouthed grin[...]

is going to affect the way I see those two anchors for some time to come. SportsCenter, live from the Hellmouth!

Edited by Illusio, Apr 1, 2004 @ 11:23 AM.

cheesesteak

cheesesteak

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2004 @ 8:11 AM

I don't even bother watching SportsCenter any more. I watch ESPNews. Unfortunately, the "everyone must have catch phrases" law is catching on there two. Just tell me the news. Don't *be* the news.

Edited by cheesesteak, Apr 2, 2004 @ 8:11 AM.