ESPN's SportsCenter

• Please log in to reply

1013 replies to this topic

SimoneS

SimoneS

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 3:39 PM

I'm sick of Peter Rose's confession already. Did anyone actually think that Peter Rose didn't bet on baseball? If Selig reinstates Rose, then Shoeless Joe as well as other baseball players who tarnished the game better be reinstated also.

erik316wttn

erik316wttn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 3:53 PM

What do you think the over/under will be on the percentage of PTI, Around the Horn, and Sportscenter devoted to the Pete Rose thing?

GooberPyle

GooberPyle

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 4:07 PM

If it were a month later, the Pete Rose thing would be all any of those shows would deal with, but nothing will be able to distract ESPN heads from the Manning/McNair-worship today. Not even Pete Rose.

Edited by GooberPyle, Jan 5, 2004 @ 4:09 PM.

SimoneS

SimoneS

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 4:29 PM

Also, although Sammy Sosa comes off very personable and forthright in his interview, I don't believe when he says that he doesn't use any substances. I've seen pictures of Sosa in his early years, he definitely used or is using something to bulk up like that.

MrCecil

MrCecil

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 5:11 PM

I remember the days when almost any SportsCenter anchor duo was great, now it seems like it's only for special occasions they break out a respectable duo.

And what's the point of Nick and Robin Bakay? It's pointless and not funny. Maybe if he did it as Salem the cat from Sabrina.

pokey camp

pokey camp

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 7:26 PM

Not maybe.

I nominate Salem the Cat for SC anchor. Now that would actually make me tune in again. I'm dead serious.

SimoneS

SimoneS

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 12:40 AM

ESPN is out of control. They are obsessed with Pete Rose. It is just exhausting. I was reading some comments on ESPN.com from viewers about Rose and they were surprisingly negative. I hope that Rose that even if gets reinstated, the writers and veterans committee refuse to vote him into the Hall of Fame. From what was reported on ESPN, there is a lot of simmering resentment towards Rose by the voters who revere baseball.

If you get the chance read this compelling article in the Washington Post by Boswell who interviewed Fay Vincent at length about Rose: http://www.washingto...2-2004Jan5.html

samizdat5

samizdat5

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 1:15 AM

I hate to break up the Pete Rose hatred, but where was Sean Salisbury on Chain Reaction? Did I miss something or is he just taking a week off? I've kind of grown to like him. Anyone know?

costeltj

costeltj

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 3:48 AM

hate to break up the Pete Rose hatred, but where was Sean Salisbury on Chain Reaction? Did I miss something or is he just taking a week off? I've kind of grown to like him. Anyone know?

Sean was in New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl with the crew from the Dan Patrick Radio Show, who did all their shows from there last week. I agree he's very entertaining. Most analysts will bash athletes, then suck up to them when actually talking to them, but Sean is great at being genuinely honest, either positively or negatively, and sticking to his guns when he talks to guys like Joe Horn and Terrell Owens on the radio show.

BillyShears

BillyShears

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 7:28 AM

Quote from MrCecil:

And what's the point of Nick and Robin Bakay?

While I think the whole "lovable loser" schtick (schtoink?) is a funny idea, NB can't quite seem to pull it off. However, I think they should keep those segments just to see Robin in those French Main/stripper/Jeannie outfits!

Yes, I am the last hetero male left on these boards, why do you ask?

cheesesteak

cheesesteak

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 8:15 AM

Yes, Pete Rose is a despicable human being. His achievements before he became a despicable human being qualify him for the Hall Of Fame, in my opinion. I really want him to just go the fuck away.

I can deal with Stuart Scott in small doses. I can deal with Berman in smaller doses. It's really weird going directly from Scott's forced hiphopishness to Boomers played out 70's references.

Keep Robin Bakay and her outfits. Send Nick Bakay far, far away. How the hell did he end up with something like that? There must be something fundamentally wrong in the universe. Or she has shitty eyesight.

Edited by cheesesteak, Jan 6, 2004 @ 8:16 AM.

SimoneS

SimoneS

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 9:53 AM

Yes, Pete Rose is a despicable human being. His achievements before he became a despicable human being qualify him for the Hall Of Fame, in my opinion. I really want him to just go the fuck away.

Rule 5 on the writer's ballot for the Hall of Fame states: "Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character and contributions to the team." Since Rose was betting while he was playing/managing seems to me that he fails the "integrity" standard big time.

Back to SportsCenter, Dan Patrick wasn't on 6:00 p.m. show yesterday. Is he on vacation? If he is, may he stay away for months. The show was much more tolerable without him. I like Linda Cohn a lot these days.

Edited by SimoneS, Jan 6, 2004 @ 10:08 AM.

JohnConstantine

JohnConstantine

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 11:10 AM

You'd be surprised how many people actually seemed to believe that Rose didn't bet on baseball. He's got a lot of loyalists that refused to believe that he bet on baseball, and more that refused to believe that he bet on the Reds. I'm guessing they're doing a little crying right now.

The people I have an issue with are the ones who who believe he bet, and don't care. yeesh. sorry, but the integrity of the game (such as it is) is at stake here.

I don't think Sportscenter is overplaying this. It's a BIG deal. HOF voting is going on right now, the new slate is about to come up, and Pete Rose is always an issue at this time of year. Now the confessional book is out. 14 years of lies have been exposed.

I'm guessing this is hard on Dan Patrick, being from Cincy and all.

cheesesteak

cheesesteak

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 11:59 AM

"Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character and contributions to the team."

Four out of six ain't too bad. :)

mtvcdm

mtvcdm

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 2:25 PM

My brother pointed this out to me yesterday, and it's a bit intriguing: Before Rose admitted, we were all saying "Don't keep him out of the Hall! Rose, just apologize and we'll let you in!" Now that he HAS (albeit in the fairly undesirable way he did it, but he has nonetheless), everyone is saying "Rose is a horrible horrible man and if we let him in, it should only be after he's dead and after we reinstate Shoeless Joe". Okay, which is it?

GooberPyle

GooberPyle

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 2:42 PM

I've said all along that Rose should get in the HoF only after he's apologized and served some sort of penance. That's pretty much what I've heard from just about everyone on ESPN, so I don't think anything's changed there. I don't recall hearing anyone say he only oughta go in after he's dead.

People aren't greeting this revelation with hugs and praise because:
  • He doesn't seem at all contrite. In fact, he pretty much refuses to apologize.
  • He's only coming clean to sell books.
  • He's been lying about this for 15 years.

Edited by GooberPyle, Jan 6, 2004 @ 2:44 PM.

Da23rdBuchan

Da23rdBuchan

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 3:06 PM

/ot A friend of mine calls The Hall of Fame--The Hall of GOOD because of recent weak admissions. I'm not a big baseball guy so can't defend the term but I always giggle when he says it. Pete Rose (yawn) I always assumed he was lying and bet on baseball and probably the Reds. If TPTB want to forgive him <shrug> whatever. . . it hard for me to care if the players themselves don't.

Edited by Da23rdBuchan, Jan 6, 2004 @ 3:07 PM.

cheesesteak

cheesesteak

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 3:09 PM

Today I heard Peter Gammons say something that pretty much sums up my feelings. He said if you're in graduate school and get kicked out for cheating, they don't take your undergraduate degree away too. That's how I feel about Pete. His transgressions against baseball came as a manager. His HOF credentials were earned as a player. Is he a crappy guy? Yes. Does he ever belong in organized baseball again? No. Do his onfield achievements merit him to be in the HOF? Yes.

Again, just my opionion.

Edited by cheesesteak, Jan 6, 2004 @ 3:10 PM.

Sars

Sars

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 4:14 PM

The topic is "SportsCenter"; let's not get too embroiled in the actual Pete Rose debate. Thanks.

SimoneS

SimoneS

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 5:14 PM

Yeah, what did I JUST SAY?

Edited by Sars, Jan 8, 2004 @ 7:29 PM.

SimoneS

SimoneS

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 8:34 PM

Yeah, Joe Gibbs has now taken over SportsCenter. Not a bad thing at all. Unfortunately, Dan Patrick was back from his vacation.

As a Cowboy fan, I dread Gibbs' return to the division because it means making the playoffs with Coughlin in NY and Reid in Philly will be hell on earth. There should be lots of bloodletting over the next 3 to 4 years.

Edited by SimoneS, Jan 7, 2004 @ 8:39 PM.

Halfpint Ingals

Halfpint Ingals

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 9:46 AM

I watched SC yesterday, and David Aldridge reported on Gibbs stuff. seemed so strange a NBA guy reporting on NFL. they said he reported the last 2 big events in DC (both Jordan) so thats why. Its strange enough when he's on PTI. if washington gets a baseball team will he report as well ??

I hope we dont get so sick of pete rose than SC have made some sick of LeBron.

GooberPyle

GooberPyle

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 9:52 AM

Aldredge is a native Washingtonian and one of many ESPN contributors who came from The Washington Post (Kornheiser, Wilbon, Kurkjian, Bucher, Justice, Feinstein (though he's personna non grata at ESPN these days)). He often reports on D.C./Baltimore-area stuff, though usually not during the NBA season.

It's a good thing, too. He's too good to be wasted on the sorry-ass NBA.

morecowbell

morecowbell

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 10:57 AM

I am a little bit worried about Joe Gibbs back in DC (I'm and Eagles Fan and can remember when the Skins were a team I worried about come game day), but the SC guys this morning were cracking me up, one person predicted they would make the playoffs next year and maybe the Super Bowl. Ass kissing much? Jeez.

Edited by Sars, Jan 12, 2004 @ 5:49 PM.

Da23rdBuchan

Da23rdBuchan

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 11:14 AM

Feinstein (though he's personna non grata at ESPN these days)).

Any thoughts on why? I like Feinstein and just realized after reading your post that he used to be on Sports Reporters every now and then.

With Sean Sallisbury's job offer from Denny Green I think the question of whether he or John Clayton knows more about the NFL is answered (until Clayton gets a GM post I guess). Kato may still be an ass to Clayton but I still contend that this is mostly schitk.

GooberPyle

GooberPyle

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 11:42 AM

I am a little bit worried about Joe Gibbs back in DC (I'm and Eagles Fan and can remember when the Skins were a team I worried about come game day), but the SC guys this morning were cracking me up, one person predicted they would make the playoffs next year and maybe the Super Bowl. Ass kissing much? Jeez.

I think that was Mark Schlareth, who played for Gibbs on the last Redskins Super Bowl team. That's probably why he's so high on Gibbs. As a Cowboy fan, I'm a little scared of Gibbs' return. But as a native and resident of D.C., it sure is exciting to see him back. Parcells, Gibbs, Reid and Coughlin...there's gonna be some tough football being played in the NFC East the next couple of years.

Feinstein (though he's personna non grata at ESPN these days)).

Any thoughts on why?

A couple of years ago, Feinstein (or Junior, as Tony Kornheiser refers to him) wrote a column on AOL - I believe - that was highly critical of ESPN. Evidently, ESPN thought the column was a little below the belt and severed ties with him. I'm sure there's more to it, but that's the extent of my knowledge of the situation.

Halfpint Ingals

Halfpint Ingals

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 12:44 PM

thanks Goober. I never knew that. He is very awesome and very talented I always enjoy him. I was just kidding anyways

btw I dont care much for Nick Bakay segment either.

I miss Keith (we dont get MSNBC)

BK1978

BK1978

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 1:58 AM

I think that Sports Center has made a mockery of sports in general in a lot of ways. Before Sports Center and ESPN in general we did not have every joe blow sports caster trying to use little catch phrases and trying to make jokes all of the time. But joe blow sports caster sees Stuart Scott doing his tired routine every night and they think hey lets do that on our local broadcast.

Also, it seems to me that recently we have just witnessed more players wanting to make a SC highlight and not focusing on the game on hand. Like the various NBA players who make a routine dunk and celebrate like they have just won the NBA finals. Or that asshole on New Orleans Saints player Joe Horn who used his cell phone after scoring a TD a couple of weeks back. Or Manny Ram and Barry Bonds standing there watching their homeruns. This crap would not be as much IMO if we did not have SC making such a big deal about this stuff.

I say we go back to the old days of reporting the highlights and not making stupid jokes and shouting out stupid catch phrases. And stop showing these guys celebrating everytime they hit a homerun or score a TD.

That being said I do have to admit that Sports Center does usually have great interviews and great reporting.

cheesesteak

cheesesteak

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 6:13 AM

I agree with you that the current direction of Sports Center is not a good thing but I don't see it changing. They must be getting enough positive feedback and ratings numbers for them to think that this is what the majority of people want. As kind of an old fart, I think the show is geared to the MTV and cell phone, short attention span generation of today. The catchphraseology has invaded ESPNews also.

JohnConstantine

JohnConstantine

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 8:57 AM

part of the problem with the catchphraseology is it used to be a bit more organic. Now, everyone is trying to find one and it seems forced. When Patrick and Olberman were first doing it, (like Berman with the nicknames) they were just having fun, trying to make things a little more interesting.

And then there's Stu Scott, who scripts everything, and I still say it shows. Give me Kevin Frasier, Linda Cohn, Robin Roberts, hell pretty much anyone over tu. I used to like him, but his schtick is played out. (as is Kenny Mayne's, who's become a joke. He was good for a while, but now he stinks too)