Graham Norton: His Eponymous Shows

• Please log in to reply

1642 replies to this topic

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 9:05 AM

Who knew Groban was so funny? Good guest.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Jan 20, 2013 @ 1:07 PM

Oh, James McAvoy, you are always so delightful. Though I'm not sure about the beard.

The Kerry-dubbed Pulp Fiction was hilarious. Tarantino's Macbeth was pretty funny, too, and I love that the show used "Miserlou" with film effects.

Could anyone figure out what Alan Davies said that was beeped? It was when he said if you repeat what you're looking for, you're more likely to find it. Graham said "boyfriend" and Alan said what sounded like "tele[beep]."

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jan 20, 2013 @ 1:39 PM

The only thing I heard was "self-esteem." I missed the other.

I liked when McAvoy was talking about the plot of Trance -- which looks great -- and Davies said the movie could have ended sooner if the guys had only asked McAvoy's character, "Just think where you were when you last had it." I love Alan Davies.

And I agree about McAvoy. I remember the other time he was on, he surprised me with his humor. So again I enjoyed him. I don't know if this is an old joke, but I got a chuckle when Graham asked about a director he had worked with, saying he sounded like quite a handful, and McAvoy says, "You’d have to ask his wife."

I liked hearing Tarantino talk about the dance scene in Pulp Fiction. I loved The Aristocats when I was a kid, so I remember that scene, though the white cat was voiced by Eva Gabor, not Zsa Zsa.

I wasn't entertained by the Macbeth scene. I thought that was a dud.

But all in all, a pretty good show.

iamnot

iamnot

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 20, 2013 @ 2:21 PM

Could anyone figure out what Alan Davies said that was beeped? It was when he said if you repeat what you're looking for, you're more likely to find it. Graham said "boyfriend" and Alan said what sounded like "tele[beep]."

10-inch cock.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Jan 20, 2013 @ 2:42 PM

Thanks, iamnot. Hee.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jan 20, 2013 @ 5:22 PM

I remember seeing McAvoy in a version of Macbeth already (Keely Hawes was his Lady Mac). I mean it was modernized, set in a haute cuisine restaurant, not the castles of the thanes, but it was stylish and packed an appropriate punch. I guess he wants to do the original, but imo he doesn't have to!

Seeing as he's already played a younger Patrick Stewart in x-men, and seeing as he's a confessed Star Trek geek, it seems only right that McAvoy would play a young Picard in a ST:TNG reboot. Who's with me?

I wondered if Quentin was as at sea as I was listening to Alan's anecdote about a 'li-lo'. I, however, have google to find out what the heck it is (an inflatable mattress).

Emeli Sande is lovely. And talented. Graham's going on about how nice her live performace was gives us a clue how few musical guests do live spots.

ChicagoCita

ChicagoCita

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2013 @ 5:38 PM

Graham's going on about how nice her live performance was gives us a clue how few musical guests do live spots.

I remember Imelda May thanking Graham profusely for giving her a chance to do a live performance, and saying how rare the opportunity to sing live on TV is, so I imagine it's up to the performer whether to do it live or not.

Have to say that Imelda May still holds the record for my favorite musical discovery ever. Loved having the chance to see her.

Edited by ChicagoCita, Jan 20, 2013 @ 5:39 PM.

Thena

Thena

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2013 @ 6:42 PM

Seeing as he's already played a younger Patrick Stewart in x-men, and seeing as he's a confessed Star Trek geek, it seems only right that McAvoy would play a young Picard in a ST:TNG reboot. Who's with me?

I'm there! I love James McAvoy so it's good to see how he's doing more things again lately. He's very witty and quick on chat shows much like his fellow Scotsman Ewan McGregor. Hmm, I wonder if I'll see the two of them in a room together.

It was a great couch as I love McAvoy and Alan Davies on a regular day. I do like Tarantino movies, but the other two were more engaging. I didn't know the strangling Diane Kruger ancedote, but I did laugh that James cut the tension of the strangeness by making the joke that Tarantino enjoyed it.

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2013 @ 8:16 PM

I liked when McAvoy was talking about the plot of Trance -- which looks great -- and Davies said the movie could have ended sooner if the guys had only asked McAvoy's character, "Just think where you were when you last had it." I love Alan Davies.

Tarantino was so into that trailer. I loved that there was no ego about looking forward to seeing someone else's movie. I thought it was a great couch--very funnily raunchy--aptly capped off with a good red-chair story. And I liked that everyone was really enjoying the QI tidbits that Davies was coming up with.

Edited by LT, Jan 20, 2013 @ 8:18 PM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 26, 2013 @ 8:23 PM

Damn, they're back to the 45 minute shit for the Denzel Washington episode. Fuck you, BBC America!

Shippaisha

Shippaisha

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2013 @ 10:25 PM

But BBCA still runs the full episode eventually, right? And in any case, the full version always shows up on YouTube; I've been relying on it to watch GN because I don't get BBCA where I live now.

PhantomChic

PhantomChic

Stalker

Posted Jan 27, 2013 @ 1:20 AM

If they must chop down the episodes to 45 minutes (and I don't see why they can't run Graham until 11:15 and then have the reairing of Ripper or whatever go til 12:30), I really wish they would cut the musical performances and leave the Red Chair.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jan 27, 2013 @ 10:19 AM

Yeah, the show seemed pretty skimpy. I thought it ended very abruptly, but honestly I didn't realize the Red Chair had been cut out, even though I enjoy that.

I really need to see Flight. I'd heard that the movie is ok, but Washington's performance is what's good about it. I enjoyed his story about his mother wanting the centerpiece.

I also enjoyed Nicholas Hoult. That zombie movie -- a zom-rom-com (very good, Graham) -- looks hilarious. I don't watch zombie movies because I get grossed out. I'm not sure how graphic Warm Bodies is, but that clip intrigued me. And Hoult seems like a great guy.

But my favorite was Bill Bailey. He's such a funny guy that it's hard to adjust to him speaking seriously. The documentary looks interesting. What did he say right after he joked about the Chinese restaurant having a phoenix in the back? Whatever he said got some laughs.

I didn't listen to the singer perform, but it was funny when he said "when he was younger" meant last week.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jan 27, 2013 @ 4:30 PM

zom-rom-com (very good, Graham)

Nope! Graham can't take credit for that; I saw it used all the way back when Shaun of the Dead was in release. Which isn't to say it's not an awesome phrase; it is. It's just not Graham's.

It was interesting to watch Denzel relax into the whole vibe. It took him longer than I thought it would, but he came around. (Although, did his balls need all that room to breathe? Knees together, man!) It would have been nice to see his reaction to the red chair.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2013 @ 7:21 PM

Denzel didn't talk much, but didn't seem to mind it. I like that all on Graham's sofa are equal; it's whoever has the best quip or story at the time (usually.)

Liked the previous episode too, and missed the red chair this week. Last week's live performance was so good. I think it was the first time either of us here actually liked the music portion. She (Emeli) has a lovely voice.

Tarantino is creepy but he isn't dull. McAvoy was very funny.

The "About a Boy" boy has grown up very well and seems like a polite young man. Didn't recognize him at all in makeup but as himself on the show, looked just like his old self, albeit thinner. Seemed like a good sport. I kept thinking he looks just like those tapestries of Norman warriors. Why I kept thinking that, I don't know. Maybe he should play one in a movie.

Bill Bailey is always funny. We skipped the kid singing. He looked like my 9 year old nephew.

Dancin Queen

Dancin Queen

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 2:21 AM

I could live without the live performances, half of whom I never heard of. Please BBCA, keep the red chair!

Edited by Dancin Queen, Jan 28, 2013 @ 2:21 AM.

Ailiana

Ailiana

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 5:44 AM

I like both the musical performances and the Red Chair. I find a lot of music I like and have never heard of elsewhere, listening to this show, but the Red Chair is funny. I didn't realize until too late to catch another episode that this last one was so short. Darn!

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 7:53 AM

Nope! Graham can't take credit for that; I saw it used all the way back when Shaun of the Dead was in release. Which isn't to say it's not an awesome phrase; it is. It's just not Graham's.

I remember it being used about SofD too.

It was interesting to watch Denzel relax into the whole vibe. It took him longer than I thought it would, but he came around. (Although, did his balls need all that room to breathe? Knees together, man!) It would have been nice to see his reaction to the red chair.

I found Denzel a little annoying at first, and it seemed like Graham didn't seem to know quite what to make of him at first when he was going on about how to pronounce his name (and then seemed to pronounce it differently than the way he said?), but he seemed okay once he relaxed into it. It does seem like some of the Hollywood stars the first time they're on take a while to get into the vibe, and then if they come on again they're a lot more relaxed.

Bill Bailey was funny as ever, and Nicholas Hoult seems lovely. He's really grown up into a handsome man.

Apparently, Helen Mirren, Paul Rudd and Sarah Silverman are going to be on upcoming episodes. Helen Mirren's always awesome, and Paul Rudd's great (and one of my ultimate crushes), so I'm looking forward to both of them. It'll be interesting to see how Sarah Silverman does.

K2DangerGirl

K2DangerGirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 1:58 PM

What did he say right after he joked about the Chinese restaurant having a phoenix in the back? Whatever he said got some laughs.

I don't know for sure but I think it was something about it being difficult to cook a phoenix. [Seeing as how they'd just rise up....]

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 3:22 PM

it being difficult to cook a phoenix. [Seeing as how they'd just rise up....]

...Rotisserie?

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 3:51 PM

I'm not happy BBC America chops up the show, but I'm glad they did it the way they did. After watching the Denzel episode on you tube, I went to my DVR & saw the zombie movie clip & the musical guest (I've already seen Flight, no need to watch that clip again). It's funny how they cut movie clips & musical performances on youtube (I'm guessing rights issues), but since Bill Bailey's show is on BBC, they were able to show that clip.

Graham could ease up a bit on how Denzel doesn't age though. He didn't age for a very very long time, but now he's starting to look older. And it's not just in the film, when he's been promoting Flight I've noticed he's starting to age.

Texas Gal

Texas Gal

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2013 @ 1:40 PM

It seemed like Denzel was teasing Graham with the pronunciation thing. He was definitely saying it differently each time and the last time it seemed like he almost wanted to wink at the camera. And, I can't remember what he said later in the show when he cracked himself up - but that was great. Denzel said whatever, everyone laughed, then Denzel kept laughing for so long that everyone started laughing at him laughing. He does kinda have a girlie laugh.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 30, 2013 @ 1:51 PM

Yes, I think he was teasing Graham, but also telling why he's denZEL, since his father is DENzel and his mother needed to distinguish between the two, even though originally he was also DENzel.

Xingu

Xingu

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 12:58 AM

Yes, I think he was teasing Graham, but also telling why he's denZEL, since his father is DENzel and his mother needed to distinguish between the two, even though originally he was also DENzel.

Well, I thank you for that explanation because I was totally lost, Braggtastic. Mostly because he veered back and forth with the pronunciation. Pretty boys like him needn't speak. I'll be happy if they just sit and look pretty.

Who knew Groban was so funny? Good guest.

He was even funnier in Kathy Griffin's bit on him. She said she cornered him at an after-party and asked him why he brought up girls on stage and then hooked up with them afterwards. He said: Hey, Kathy, this dick isn't going to suck itself.

Oy, those lucky girls.

Edited by Xingu, Feb 1, 2013 @ 1:03 AM.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 11:01 PM

Another truncated episode, sigh, and that looks to be a regular thing because of Ripper. I don't know why they can't shift things so that we get the entire Norton show.

I don't know who Clare Balding is, but she really does bear a striking resemblance to Henry V Kenneth Branagh. I love that she's embraced it to the point of using a picture of him as her avatar. Hee.

The couch was very funny, and they had great rapport. But no Red Chair!

I really want to see all of next week's show with the goddess Helen Mirren.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Feb 3, 2013 @ 10:02 AM

I've seen Clare Balding on QI and Would I Lie To You.

I love the photos that Minnie Driver collects of things that look like people. The first one of the evil, plotting boxes was brilliant.

I really want to see all of next week's show with the goddess Helen Mirren.

Plus Paul Rudd! I hope the couch isn't cluttered with a bunch of guests.... I just checked the eps listing on Wikipedia, and the other guests are Leslie Mann and musical group Little Mix, so it looks like no one will be short-changed.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Feb 3, 2013 @ 1:49 PM

I'm telling you, the way to do it is youtube & then watch your recording if you want to see the film clips. That's how I watched this afternoon.

Ms Sugarbaker

Ms Sugarbaker

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2013 @ 4:49 PM

so it looks like no one will be short-changed.

We'll be short-changed! We're getting 45 minuts of an hour show.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2013 @ 5:34 PM

That's true. I may have to resort to YouTube to catch it all. No Red Chair this last time either.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 11:03 PM

I YouTubed the show. No clips, but I wasn't really interested in the movies anyway. And you get it earlier than the BBCA airing. Win-win!

Leslie Mann got a little shortchanged, but I don't think she minded. Helen Mirren was divine as always. I loved her wanting Paul Rudd to show her how Jack Nicholson kissed. And it was hiliarious when the second person in the Red Chair said her parents had gone to high school with him. He's only 43.