Graham Norton: His Eponymous Shows

• Please log in to reply

1642 replies to this topic

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Dec 27, 2012 @ 9:53 AM

At an (US) air time of only 40 minutes, I think the Christmas ep suffered at the hands of an axe. Perhaps there was more flow and hilarity at the original length?

I thought it was adorbs for the fainting jogger to get to tell his story in the red chair. So sweet! And though I agree with Connolly that the first red chair guy was not the ablest of storytellers, I really did want to find out what the girlfriend's nickname was.

I thought the girl singer was Emily Blunt, until they said her name. Pretty sparkly dress!

Edited by attica finch, Dec 27, 2012 @ 9:54 AM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Dec 27, 2012 @ 6:29 PM

How did you see the truncated episode already? My DVR will record it this Saturday 10:20-11, so that's 40 minutes including commercial breaks. I'm hoping the on demand version is the full hour.

WhatDoYouKnow

WhatDoYouKnow

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2012 @ 11:08 PM

How did you see the truncated episode already? My DVR will record it this Saturday 10:20-11, so that's 40 minutes including commercial breaks. I'm hoping the on demand version is the full hour.

I haven't watched it, yet, but looking at my DVR, the 40 min version was the first version aired. Because Doctor Who ran right before it for 1 hour and 20 minutes, Graham took up the remaining 40 minutes of that 2 hour block. That happens a lot now that it follows Doctor Who, and first-run episodes of Doctor Who are now the "real" length. Graham ends up getting truncated, but then runs a longer version later (I think).

Which is stupid, unless BBCA marks them both as "first run," which I don't think they do, so people's DVRs will find the full-length one eventually.

If you have to chop off time, chop off the musical guest and the red chair. That'll help a lot.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Dec 28, 2012 @ 10:19 AM

How did you see the truncated episode already?

It aired Christmas night. My dvr is programmed for all of Graham (because my cable system isn't always on the ball about 'new' tags, I tend to overprogram -- needs must, you know), and picked it up. ::shrug::

StinkPill

StinkPill

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 28, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

They usually pop up on YouTube within a day or so.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Dec 28, 2012 @ 2:37 PM

True, but Youtube isn't anywhere near my couch or snacks... ;)

Ailiana

Ailiana

Fanatic

Posted Dec 28, 2012 @ 10:18 PM

I did laugh when after Matt Smith was having to keep saying he couldn't talk about the Christmas episode of Dr. Who, and it was a secret, that when Graham announced the clip they were going to show, Billy Connolly said "I thought it was a secret!" Something in the way he said it, and after poor Matt had to keep not answering questions about the special (which given that this episode aired after the special seems to be more for the studio audience than the TV audience). It did make me laugh, and that's really all I wanted from it.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Dec 29, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

Hate it when a guest triggers the red chair to flip the story teller out. So rude. And sometimes the story sounds promising. I wish Graham were the only one who could trip the trigger, or at least, have final say. Not as spontaneous, but it gets a bit boring just to hear a few words, as well.

Shippaisha

Shippaisha

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 29, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

As much as the British guests seem to love the red chair, I wonder if they don't have anything like Wipeout in the UK. It's like this show is the British public's main venue for seeing people fall down.

WhatDoYouKnow

WhatDoYouKnow

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2012 @ 12:09 AM

As much as the British guests seem to love the red chair, I wonder if they don't have anything like Wipeout in the UK.

They did (called Total Wipeout), but it was just canceled after its last series. I've never seen that version or the US version.

Ailiana

Ailiana

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2012 @ 8:40 AM

I still love that moment when Will Smith wouldn't let Graham flip the young lady who was doing the Fresh Prince rap for her story. "Don't you dare!"

And I would have liked to hear the end of the nickname story too.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Dec 30, 2012 @ 12:43 PM

I liked Dustin Hoffman looking at Matt Smith & then asking Billy Connolly 'Were you ever that young?' Have the Doctors been getting younger and younger with every re-cast? Matt Smith does look like a fetus next to the Doctor from the 70s.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Dec 30, 2012 @ 6:16 PM

I just checked the ages of the various Doctors, and if my math is correct, Matt is definitely the youngest at 28 when he started. The ages of the previous Doctors in order of appearance are 55, 46, 51, 40, 30, 38, 44, 37, 41, and 34.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 12:50 PM

I decided not to wait on the off chance BBC America would put the full episode up on demand and went to you tube instead. I don't care that I didn't see the clip from Quartet because I've already seen the movie (it's great!). I don't care about Matt Smith, although he seems like a nice man, but I would love to hang out with Jennifer Saunders, Billy Connolly & Dustin Hoffman. What a great couch!

K2DangerGirl

K2DangerGirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 1:30 PM

Jennifer Saunders was prompted by Graham to tell a few little anecdotes, but she didn't seem to be promoting anything.

I thought I heard Graham say something at the beginning about how she would "spice up your life", relating to her involvement in the Spice Girls musical (Viva Forever). According to the show's Twitter feed she was going to talk about it so I wonder if that got cut for the US broadcast. (Corrections, according to Viva Forever's Twitter feed.)

Edited by K2DangerGirl, Dec 31, 2012 @ 1:30 PM.

Texas Gal

Texas Gal

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 2:39 PM

It would look suspiciously like showing off to do both at the same time.

Oh Gulftastic, you owe me a keyboard.

I just love Martin Freeman. He always cracks me up, and seems like a genuinely nice guy.

Edited by Texas Gal, Jan 3, 2013 @ 2:47 PM.

helenbaby

helenbaby

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 11:51 AM

Honestly, I could have done without Tom Cruise and his costar plus Graham's sycophant act last night. Cruise wants to appear normal yet I've never seen him be at ease on any talk show. It would have been better to just forget it, but I guess he was a "get" the show couldn't refuse. I always enjoy John Bishop and Hugh Jackman & Billy Crystal seemed to be having fun. Okay now that you've had him, never do it again.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 1:17 PM

Agreed. There is no way Cruise could be on a regular couch for the duration of the show - he's just not human enough. It was a bit cute to see Norton somewhat flustered to be face-to-face with Cruise. And I loved his story about being in America the first time as a kid filling out comment cards before Risky Business was released. But I will say Norton was 20 when Risky Business came out. I don't know if he was trying to come across as younger than he is, but there you go. He is one year younger than Tom Cruise (49 to Cruise's 50).

I enjoyed Billy Crystal's serious listening face trying to understand John Bishop. That was a seriously crowded couch. They didn't need Mary Berry & Paul Hollywood, but having heard them on radio podcasts, I was glad to see what they looked like. With Pink and the red chair person, it was beyond a jam packed show. Maybe it should have been 90 minutes since it was a New Year's special. I know Graham was in Vancouver for New Year's and Ireland for Christmas, so I wonder when the show was actually recorded.

Shippaisha

Shippaisha

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 3:20 PM

Eh, I'll give Graham a pass on Tom Cruise. I know he's nucking futs, but at the same time he's still Tom Cruise. I think Graham reacted the way most people would when he went "Let's just all stare at him for a bit." Especially in a foreign country like Britain, where American actors are even more glamorized than they are in the US, particularly stars of TC's caliber. And even as guarded and careful as he was, TC was still better on the couch than frakking Madonna.

I liked Pink's story about her husband trying to comfort her by offering to throw up with her.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 5:04 PM

I'm definitely not a Tom Cruise fan -- though "Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol" was an amazingly entertaining movie, so I thank him for that -- but I didn't think he was so bad on the show. As little as I like him personally, I do admire his work ethic.

When Graham announced the guests, I didn't know how they would all fit on the couch, and I wondered who would sit closest to him -- Cruise or Jackman.

I didn't find this to be that interesting a show, though. Of course I haven't heard of the Great British Bakeoff, but since I enjoy baking, I might like that show. Graham said it's coming to America. I didn't know if an Americanized version was starting here or if the actual British one was. I hope it's the latter; I watched Top Chef: Just Desserts and wasn't so thrilled with that.

Thena

Thena

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 5:19 PM

Great British BakeOff is a great baking show, but I am prejudice as I find British food and cooking shows more entertaining and interesting than North American ones. As someone who also enjoys baking, it's very entertaining, but they will probably repackage it to be "Great American BakeOff" or whatever. I can't see them actually bringing the British version over to America, but I can see them repackaging it like they did Masterchef US.

I am generally not keen on shows where Graham has so many guests on the couch. I think 2-3 guests is the right amount as Graham's hosting is worth two people already. Hehe.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 5:57 PM

My late mother was channeling me from beyond the grave as I yelled at the otherwise gorgeous Rosamund Pike to comb her hair. I mean, I get the whole tousled bed-heady thing, I just don't approve for a venue like this.

When Tom C talks about all the stunts he does, I simply don't believe him. I've seen the Bourne movie dvd-extras where they show the elaborate robot cars they use to show the star 'driving', and I don't doubt he can maneuver a steering wheel, but I'm unconvinced otherwise. And I wonder if the stunt crews are paid extra for not getting any of the credit.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 7:09 PM

That was quite the busy show. Graham did a decent job of making sure everyone had his or her small moment. (Though Rosamund Pike kind of got forgotten.)

Hugh Jackman got a bigger response than Tom Cruise did in the initial roll call. Hee.

One of the main reasons I dislike Cruise is because he seems to be a total control freak in every aspect of his life. No wonder Katie finally fled. And I've always felt that no one says anything bad about working with him because they're terrified that he'll either blackball them in the industry or sue them. Or both.

I'm sick of hearing how fantastic it is that the actors in Les Misérables sang live. Big whoop. Broadway actors do that eight times a week. I know it's not exactly the same thing, but it still rankles.

The amount of money John Bishop raised is amazing. 4.2 million pounds? Fantastic.

The baking couple was unexpectedly charming. Not that I thought they wouldn't be entertaining, but I liked how they weren't fazed by the others on the couch.

The band playing off the first woman in the Big Red Chair was very funny. I like that Graham gave a shout out to the band.

Edited by dubbel zout, Jan 6, 2013 @ 7:11 PM.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 7:40 PM

When Tom C talks about all the stunts he does, I simply don't believe him.

I know that in MI: Ghost Protocol he really did the climbing outside that building. He had a harness on which was digitally erased for the film, but IMO that doesn't diminish my kudos to him for hanging outside the tallest building in the world. I wonder if he had some kind of harness on for that rock-climbing scene in the earlier MI movie. In any case, I don't doubt that he performs stunts that other actors of his magnitude don't. I just wonder how insurance companies deal with it.

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 9:32 AM

Was the episode 90 minutes when it aired in Great Britain? It felt as cut up as the post-Doctor Who episode was.

Of course I haven't heard of the Great British Bakeoff, but since I enjoy baking, I might like that show.

I've never seen the show but their "Showstoppers" cookbook got great reviews so I bought it when I was in London in November (the secret to gluten-free baking is to measure by weight instead of volume and you need non-US cookbooks for that). They had a gluten-free-sandwich bread recipe in there that allowed me to eat a sandwich for the first time in three years. I'll love them forever for that. I've read through some of the other recipes and they look really promising.

Once they got past Cruise parroting movie lines I thought he was quite enjoyable. He tells a good story when it is movie related.

The band playing off the first woman in the Big Red Chair was very funny.

Loved that too, and loved Graham making fun of her for being so blasé about being a designer in London.

Edited by LT, Jan 7, 2013 @ 9:34 AM.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 12:30 PM

Once they got past Cruise parroting movie lines I thought he was quite enjoyable.

I loved when Graham sat back imperiously and said, "Amuse us with your catchphrases." I think Graham expected Cruise to say the lines just like in the movies, instead of reciting them blandly. It was pretty boring.

ETA -

I thought that was an excellent couch -- Josh Grobin, Billie Piper, and Frank Skinner. I FF'd past the singer, Example, when he performed, but I enjoyed him when he sat down.

I don't know why I thought Skinner was gay. Maybe because he looks like Graham. ;) Anyway, I liked when they talked about his just becoming a baby-daddy, and when talking about his age, he said, "I was getting up three or four times in the night anyway." And although I don't like the idea of breaking up with someone via text, the way he did it was hilarious.

Then when Josh revealed that apparently both he and his brother were conceived on his mother's birthday, it was so funny when Graham said, "Your parents obviously have a routine."

Another line I like, this one from Example, was, "Ideally I wanted an Australian wife, and Miss Australia was the bonus."

Edited by peeayebee, Jan 13, 2013 @ 2:22 PM.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 2:19 PM

Oopsie. Double-post.

Edited by peeayebee, Jan 13, 2013 @ 2:22 PM.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 2:49 PM

I was both charmed and appalled by the commercial of Billie's they showed. I'm gonna guess UConn was in no danger of recruiting her for her mad balling skillz. (not) On the upside, she really does have screen presence, even at 14.

A quip of Josh Groban's is the final punchline of Kathy Griffin's latest stand-up special, and it really was running though my mind during most of the couch convo:
Spoiler
He's a naughty boy.

A fun episode.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 7:44 PM

I thought that was an excellent couch -- Josh Grobin, Billie Piper, and Frank Skinner.

They interacted really well together.

Josh Groban's singing voice kind of sounds like he's stuffy, so it's always something of a surprise when he turns out not to be IRL. It's amusing that most of his movie roles play off that impression. He has a very good sense of humor about himself.

I think my favorite line of the show was "There's a whiff of Hogwarts there as well" to that guy in the Red Chair. And that the guy cracked himself up telling the story.

Edited by dubbel zout, Jan 13, 2013 @ 7:45 PM.

ChicagoCita

ChicagoCita

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 8:50 PM

Fun show. I liked Example saying about his wife that he was "punching above his weight class." A well-rehearsed line, but a good one. Also liked the quickness of both Graham and Josh Groban when Graham was "coming on" to Josh as an interviewer, and Josh immediately thought of a "cute meet" when their eyes would meet over the Red Chair button. Also liked Josh cautioning "Watch it!" when Frank started to dis America. A very cosy show.