Graham Norton: His Eponymous Shows

• Please log in to reply

1642 replies to this topic

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 1:46 PM

Is Marina and the Diamonds a band? I only saw a drummer when Marina was singing, and she was the only one on the couch and used "I" a lot instead of "we."

I liked low-key Matt LeBlanc. Maybe he and Zac had trouble with Lee's accent? It didn't seem too strong to me, but I don't have trouble with accents for the most part.

dirksunboy

dirksunboy

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 2:58 PM

Wow, Zac Efron couldn't keep his hands off Matt LeBlanc! And then the story about Tom Cruise inviting Zac over to learn to ride motorcycles...hmmm...

Ms Sugarbaker

Ms Sugarbaker

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:34 AM

so I was irritated at how nonreactive Zac and Matt were at Lee’s stories and jokes.

That's because Efron and LeBlanc are talk show poison, they're both dumb and dull. I wouldn't call LeBlanc a comedic actor, I think of him as a guy who plays dumb well.

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 5:45 PM

I usually love the musical guests and "discovered" Imelda May through her appearance on Graham,

Isn't she brilliant? I found her even later than her appearance on the show but I've made it my personal mission to get everyone I know on board.

Only knowing of Julie Walters from her acting and Jessie J from her clothing style I was going to skip this week but, boy, am I glad I didn't. Walters is delightfully raunchy and Jessie J was a great guest--really effective at tying Walters and Simon Amstell together without ever taking over the couch. I didn't know Simon Amstell and now I really want to see "Grandma's House." Tears of laughter at the scene of him singing the "Lion King" theme and the story of his mom telling him to be Russell Brand.

And I now have quite the crush on Didier Drogba. The cast was quite gelled by the time he joined but he fit right in and seemed to get a kick (hee) out of Amstell's rather acerbic humor. Plus, he danced! How cute is that? I loved his joking "thank you" to the audience when they were clapping for him being monogamous.

Really enjoyed Jessie J teasing Amstell--especially the "I touched him!" and rubbing her hands on Walters's leg--and being so engrossed in Walters' stories.

But, for me, the queen of the couch was Walters. She was a bit hyper in the beginning and seemed to lose steam by the end (but even that was funny; "what?!?") but I don't care. That story about the papier mâché penis that she still has (complete with orange pubes) was hysterical.

Edited by LT, May 13, 2012 @ 5:48 PM.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

I'm really impressed with what Drogba is doing in the Ivory Coast. I also enjoyed him accepting applause for being monogamous.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 4:39 PM

There was something about Jessie J I didn't like. However, Julie Walters was great. (Though I'm not as old as she, I dye my hair -- It would might be all-over grey if I let it go, and when I do I hope I look as good as she.)

Simon Amstell reminded me of Michael Cera.

Did they air the ep with Nicki Minaj, Mark Ruffalo, John Bishop, and Rufus Wainwright? I happened to watch it online because I thought I'd missed an ep, but... I'm just not sure if it aired on BBC America. Anyway, it was fantastic. I don't listen to Nicki's music, and I didn't know anything about her, but she was wonderful. The rest of the guests were great, too. Fantastic show.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 7:51 PM

I did not care for Jessie J at all. She seemed to insert herself way too much into the other conversations even before the others had a chance. And she seemed really arrogant at times as well with her snide comments. I know nothing about her music or even who she is but she strikes me as being a bit flavor of the moment and shouldn't take it all so for granted as she seemed to to me. And it didn't help that even sitting down those gawd-awful affectations she called pants/leggings were making me nauseous every time the camera was on her.

The rest of the show was okay. It didn't help that when it came to sharing an anecdote even Julie wasn't much better than poor Didier.

Not looking forward to deliberately awkward "I'm waaaay too complex and deep to appreciate my unearned celebrity status thanks to a franchise based on some of the worst but most popular books ever written" Stewart. I'm hoping Chris Rock is ready to deflate her air-sucked-out-of-the-room tendencies. I'm so hoping someone asks her, relatively attractive she may be in the grand scheme of things, how she feels about the incongruity of casting her as the "fairest of them all" opposite Charlize Theron?

I adore Mark Ruffalo and actually find Nicki Minaj a fun interview the few times I have seen her. So I'm going to have to be diligent about re-airs. Every now and again my dvr snags one in the middle of the night and of course the morning sporadic repeats.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 8:22 AM

I'm indifferent about Kristen Stewart, but I know many people hate her. Is it just because of her Twilight character, or has she come across badly in interviews?

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:11 PM

I liked Jessie J well enough. Not the lamé leggings, but youth needs must. I do that lip-flapping thing myself, so I found it funny to see it in slo-mo. (It's a breath-control exercise. Very effective in quelling incipient freak-outs.) And I always find it interesting that a person with such a pronounced Essex accent can have it disappear when set to music.

Julie Walters is on track to be Betty White. Which is awesome, because Betty White is awesome, and so is JW. (Although BW still dyes her hair, come to think.)

Simon Amstell reminded me of Michael Cera.

I was thinking Jessie Eisenberg, but you've persuaded me: Cera.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 3:10 PM

That was the first time I've seen Kristen Stewart interviewed, and I hope it's the last. What a humorless bore.

Chris Rock was entertaining, but I liked Stephen Mangan the best.

Englebert Humperdinck sounded pretty good to me.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 4:14 PM

Englebert Humperdinck sounded pretty good to me.

Same here. He's obviously taken care of his voice. Too bad he didn't leave his face alone. Tom Jones is another one of that generation that still sounds good.

Chris Rock dominated a little too much—I wanted to hear more from Stephen Mangan—but I was surprised that Kristen Stewart was as pleasant as she was. I've seen too many interviews where she's a total monotone sourpuss. I get that a publicity tour must get to be a slog, but it's her job.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 4:28 PM

I feel bad; I'd thought Humperdinck had long since gone to the great lounge in the sky. As for his performance, I'm unconvinced there wasn't technological assistance propping him up. Giveaway: pulling the mike away from his face with absolutely no audible change in dynamic. Though I read there's no lip-synching allowed in the Eurovision contest itself, so... we'll see.

KS looked like to be thawing about halfway through the show. I've never seen her interviewed before, but I'd certainly heard complaints about her surliness. I've no interest in the Twilight franchise, but that Snow White movie looks promising.

Mangan did a very good Steve Coogan impression. Dan! Dan! Hee.

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 9:13 AM

KS looked like to be thawing about halfway through the show.

She seemed to be interested in the other guests and their stories and what Graham was asking her but she was so monotone in her talking and middle-of-the-road in her reactions that she was putting a damper on things. And that led to Chris Rock over compensating--and Chris Rock over compensating is a lot of Chris Rock. Her sitting down and immediately whispering something in Rock's ear didn't start things off very well either.

I quite liked the EH song but I too thought there was a little help with the vocals.

I liked Mangan quite a bit but I couldn't quite hear everything he said. It was like Rock was talking louder to compensate for Stewart and Mangan was talking quieter to compensate for Rock. Ended up being a weird couch.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 7:39 PM

Her sitting down and immediately whispering something in Rock's ear didn't start things off very well either.

Geez I hated that. Rude.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 10:22 PM

Stewart wasn't completely annoying. And I did think Chris was a little too on. But I also noticed (and was oddly determined to make sure it wasn't my dislike for Stewart projecting) that in the first half twice Graham asked Stewart something and there was a slight stutter and then Chris jumped in. So I wondered if Chris was on because Stewart was willing to answer in a flat boring non-narrative manner (it's called a talk show for a reason).

We did rewind to watch the clip from the Snow White movie over and over again because Stewart's ability to project all the flaws and inability as an actress in just that one shout is hilarious and wonderful.

It's odd because it seems that here in the US there is a sudden heightened awareness in the last two or three years in regards to Eurovision. It's something I grew up with but as an outsider looking in at what I always thought in my limited actual viewing experiece was kind of like if Jerry SPringer had a musical guest at the end of his show. I pretty much giggle at anything related to Eurovision and Engelbert's face didn't help. He does have a nice voice still.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 10:21 AM

I saw a clip of ep 6 (the KS/CR ep is #4) on CNN this morning, wherein Will Smith appears. I will not spoil, but it curled my toes in delight.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 10:54 AM

That ep has gotten a lot of buzz; Gawker had a clip, and it was adorable.

dbljaygrl

dbljaygrl

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 10:32 PM

Just discovered this show. Great! Just great! I love the format in which all the guests are brought it at once and what ensues could be anything from pure magic to dullsville. I love to see the interplay of the different personalities. I get a good idea of what these people are all about. Graham is fantastic. The red chair is a riot. American guests, out if their usual element, appear not to have a clue. Some seem to be virtually unable to engage in any kind of humorous or intelligent banter. WTF is up with that? Nicole Sherzinger and Cher come to mind. Dim bulbs. IMO the Brittish have a superior sense of humor and have a greater ability to improvise jokes. All in all, its a great show and I hope it gains in popularity here in the states. I find it interesting how the Brittish are up on all the Hollywood goings on yet the average American couldn't tell you a damn thing that its currently running on the BBC now or ever.

Edited by dbljaygrl, May 22, 2012 @ 10:46 PM.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 8:11 AM

Some American guests have been good, but it's so awkward when they come off as clueless or humorless.

Graham is probably my favorite talk show host right now. He listens to his guests. He's quick-witted. He keeps the energy up.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 10:28 AM

If there's a British guest, sometimes the jokes get very local, as it were, and I can understand why foreigners wouldn't understand. I also think a lot of them haven't seen the show before they appear on it, so they're a bit thrown by the lack of ass-kissing. Graham is respectful, but he doesn't kowtow to anyone. Even Madonna was zinged, and he worships her. That's one of the things I really enjoy about him.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 11:43 AM

Although I like when the US guests already know Norton & are familiar with the format, there's nothing quite like the look of surprise on someone's face who has no idea the red chair flips over.

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

there's nothing quite like the look of surprise on someone's face who has no idea the red chair flips over.

Agreed. I especially like when they question Graham about what's going on and then want to pull the lever themselves. Mark Wahlberg cracked me up doing that.

That ep has gotten a lot of buzz; Gawker had a clip, and it was adorable.

I watched the first quarter of the episode on YouTube and I just love how Will Smith enjoys himself and everything he does. That happiness is infectious to me. Besides, his outfit? Spectacular. All that purple and plaid.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 3:28 PM

I saw a clip of ep 6 (the KS/CR ep is #4) on CNN this morning, wherein Will Smith appears. I will not spoil, but it curled my toes in delight.

The clip has gone viral with 3 million viewers on YouTube.

Is it a spoiler?

Yes, it's a serious question. If a clip has gone viral across the world before it airs on your local TV, is it a spoiler?

Although I like when the US guests already know Norton & are familiar with the format, there's nothing quite like the look of surprise on someone's face who has no idea the red chair flips over.

I always assume, perhaps wrongly, that all the American guests are given a sample episode to view. I mean, it wouldn't be hard to do, especially since clips of the show is on YouTube.

I assume that because most of the American guests seem comfortable in that format.

And Norton has been doing that format for many years, right?

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 4:34 PM

Sorry.

Edited by dubbel zout, May 23, 2012 @ 4:35 PM.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 6:07 PM

I always assume, perhaps wrongly, that all the American guests are given a sample episode to view. I mean, it wouldn't be hard to do, especially since clips of the show is on YouTube.

You'd think any guests on any talk show anywhere would check out a video first to see what the show's like, but it sure looks like some guests (not just on this show, but other talk shows) are unprepared. I understand that many celebrities are busy, but it doesn't take that much time to watch a few minutes at least.

I'm avoiding watching that YouTube clip of Will Smith. I don't know why, but I think I'll just wait.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 9:43 AM

Is it a spoiler?

Since we don't have a show-specific policy, I'm working under the general site policy: if it hasn't aired on east-coast US tv yet, nor has been aired in US-market promos, it's a spoiler. I'm not saying there isn't a good argument (i.e. CNN's airing) for it not being a spoiler, just saying what guideline I relied on.

cheeztoast

cheeztoast

Video Archivist

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 9:10 AM

My TiVO didn't pick up a GNS this week - did a new ep air? Clips from Cameron Diaz/David Attenborough have been all over the web but I haven't seen that ep yet. We're usually only a week behind the UK here in the States, right?

I did watch the Chris Rock/Kristen Stewart/Stephen Mangan episode though - I think Chris seemed more energetic because he was familiar with the format. He's been on at least once or twice and I remember him being pretty subdued the first time he was on. KS was her normal wet blanket self, though slightly more polite than she usually seems.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 9:23 AM

My DVR had the Will Smith show listed for a while, but BBCA was running a Tudors marathon instead. And the show for this week is the Diaz one, so I don't know what the deal is.

Edited by dubbel zout, May 29, 2012 @ 9:23 AM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

Maybe Graham had a week off for his show when he hosted Eurovision, so to keep us a week behind we got Memorial Day off. I caught up w/the Chris Rock ep & the one before that over the weekend. I think I missed the first one of this series & it's not available on demand.

I wonder when we're getting that Chris Rock movie-it looks good.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

Since it doesn't get much coverage in the US, I thought I'd tip in that E-Hump came in 2nd to Last in the Eurovision song contest. If we're to believe the Fug Girls, (and dear heavens, why wouldn't we?!) his performance there lacked the, um, enhancements provided on Graham's show. But did have pinwheels of flame, so there's that.

I really wish BBCA would air Eurovision. I'd get up early to watch it, I would!