Graham Norton: His Eponymous Shows

• Please log in to reply

1643 replies to this topic

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 7:43 AM

Is this the first time there wasn't a musical guest (edited out or not)?

I've not watched the episode yet, but apparently Olly Murs (former UK X-Factor runner-up) was on and presumably performed. Guess he wasn't shown at all on the BBC America airing.

Ms Sugarbaker

Ms Sugarbaker

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 8:54 AM

Olly Murs was on the couch the entire episode, only his performance never aired on the BBCA airing.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 9:39 AM

I had no idea what Olly Murs did. LOL. Thanks!

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 6:40 PM

If I had been sitting on the couch next to Gerard Depardieu, I'd let him know one of my favorite movies is Jean de Florette. I love it.

I feel sort of sorry for him because he obviously wasn't really understanding what was going on around him.

Me too. He had said he understands English better than he speaks it, but it looked like A LOT got past him. I wish he had used the interpreter, though that would have been cumbersome on this show if she translated everything.

Dominic West was fabulous. I love his description of his wedding. I WANT PICTURES! He seems to have a great sense of humor, plus a lot of intelligence.

Damian Lewis, too. I watched him in Life and enjoyed him, but I don't get Showtime so I haven't seen Homeland except for the pilot online. I'm hooked, and I'm trying not to get spoiled. When they showed a clip from the show, I muted it and averted my gaze until it was over. It seemed like a really long clip. When the DVDs come out, I'm buying them.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 7:35 PM

Dominic West just keeps getting more and more swoon worthy. And while he wasn't that dreamy in the picture as Graham pointed out, just the idea of him and Ioan in the same place gives rise to all kinds of naughty thoughts.

Gerard was quite charming and hearing what actually happened in the great oui oui incident was both amusing and amazing as at the time I heard the story it sounded like he just pulled it out and started spraying the first class section.

I'll be honest, unless it is Adele I can do without the singing performances. But what I do miss with these 45 minute shows is that the show seems to lose the bits where Graham and the guests interact with the audience which is one of the unique charms of the show.

Edited by heebiejeebie, Mar 12, 2012 @ 7:37 PM.

Texas Gal

Texas Gal

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 8:41 PM

I have had a crush on Damian Lewis for ages, and I didn't think I could love him any more but apparently I can!! I loved the way he seemed to be in awe of Gerard and didn't want Graham to embarrass him by correcting his name. So. cute. Even with a really bad haircut.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 9:34 PM

Dominic West was ...woooh...so incredibly hot and drool worthy, but Olly Murs is not at all a bad looking guy, they're both so different in age range, but both I think equally hot.

I felt bad for Gerard too because he obviously didn't understand much at all.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 5:34 PM

The British PM, David Cameron, is in Washington, D.C., right now, and tonight there's a state dinner. I wonder if that's what Lewis was referring to when he mentioned being invited to the White House.

ETA: It is!

Edited by dubbel zout, Mar 14, 2012 @ 5:38 PM.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

It's a good thing Hugh Grant is so pleasurable to listen to, because otherwise I'd be irritated he took so much of the time. He really was charming. I liked when Graham said about something, "You should be very pleased," and Hugh responded, "I am I am. This is my pleased face." And then later saying, "I like a lot of praise." He's very sharp and quick. I LOVED his story about pubic hair.

I like Jo Brand a lot, so I wish more time was spent with her. My main exposure to her is QI and Would I Lie To You.

As for Joanna Page, she seemed ok. I don't watch Gavin and Stacey, but checking her IMDB page I see she was in "Love Actually," the only one of her credits I've seen. I don't remember her. The show The Syndicate sounds good. I'm sure that'll be remade in the US.

Oh, one question: When she was telling the story about her driving, she said her husband told her to turn right at the roundabout, then she said, "So at the roundabout I turned right," and the audience gasped. I've been at a few roundabouts, but I don't understand what she did wrong.

catray

catray

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 12:39 AM

Oh, one question: When she was telling the story about her driving, she said her husband told her to turn right at the roundabout, then she said, "So at the roundabout I turned right," and the audience gasped. I've been at a few roundabouts, but I don't understand what she did wrong.

Well, since they drive on the left side of the road in the UK, I'm assuming this means she turned against the flow of traffic and was driving the wrong way.

I loved the part where Graham noticed he and David Guetta were wearing the same pants. It was a cute little moment.

Enjoyed Hugh Grant (and the whole couch) and the 45 minutes really flew by. I feel like he did take up the majority of the time, but he was so charming that I hardly noticed. Joanna Page seemed darling, though I've never seen her in anything.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 5:28 AM

As for Joanna Page, she seemed ok. I don't watch Gavin and Stacey, but checking her IMDB page I see she was in "Love Actually," the only one of her credits I've seen. I don't remember her.

In Love Actually she played the nude body double in the scenes with Martin Freeman when they fall for each other while they're body-doubling for a love scene in a film.

I really enjoyed the episode - Hugh Grant's very witty, and Jo Brand's always good value, and Joanna was sweet. I guess Hugh did dominate the time a little, but as he doesn't do many interviews these days I guess they wanted to make the most of getting him on the show. I loved seeing him in the old photo love story - he was so cute!

Bourgeois Nerd

Bourgeois Nerd

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 7:43 AM

Alex Kingston did those photo love stories, too, as a young actor. Who knew it was such a rite of passage/income-source for so many British actors!

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 1:47 PM

Well, since they drive on the left side of the road in the UK, I'm assuming this means she turned against the flow of traffic and was driving the wrong way.

I forgot about driving on the left side. So I guess she turned right too soon? (I'm having a hard time picturing how a roundabout works.)

In Love Actually she played the nude body double in the scenes with Martin Freeman when they fall for each other while they're body-doubling for a love scene in a film.

Oh of course! Now I can picture her clearly. Her face, I mean. :D

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 4:24 PM

I forgot about driving on the left side. So I guess she turned right too soon? (I'm having a hard time picturing how a roundabout works.)

Roundabouts are one-way—counterclockwise in the States, so clockwise in Britain? She must have turned into the roundabout the wrong way, into oncoming traffic.

Like what catray explained.

Edited by dubbel zout, Mar 19, 2012 @ 4:24 PM.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 5:10 PM

It wasn't clear if Page had even tried skipping over into what would have been her proper exit lane at the turn or just barreled through two lanes. I've seen that happen.

Hugh Grant surprised me because every interview I's seen him do, he is long winded slow talking, huge meaningless pauses and dull as dirt anecdotes. He made this one work.

I do get what the new breed (or newly recognized breed) of DJ-composers do for the dance scene and dance music. But even though I'm a gay man who still raises his hands for house music about once a month, find a huge disconnect in the whole "David Guetta is here to perform his new hit" And that pretty much means him mugging and bouncing up in a technicolor multimedia cube as someone else actually sings. Working out to such a song on my ipod works fine. I just cannot wrap my head around it the way it happened Saturday night (and this was hardly the first time this type of thing has happened I know).

ugh Bradley Cooper next week. I hope he has had self-deprecation lessons since the last time I saw him. What a tool.

dreamy

dreamy

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 7:54 PM

I also liked the red chair story - I know, I know, it was predictable, but it was cute.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 9:13 AM

Hugh Grant surprised me because every interview I's seen him do, he is long winded slow talking, huge meaningless pauses and dull as dirt anecdotes. He made this one work.

heebie, if you ever get the chance, I strongly recommend the Hugh Grant Inside the Actors Studio. He's masterful at making Lipton look ridiculous all the while being as pleasant as can be. Charming and subversive.

Ms Sugarbaker

Ms Sugarbaker

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 9:32 AM

For what it's worth, the entire episode featuring Depardieu, Lewis,and Murs is available On Demand, including Olly's musical performance.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 6:56 PM

Someone actually posted the full 1 Hour episodes that BBC America had been cutting to only 45 minutes with commercials on You Tube too. I've seen the rest of the Hugh Grant episode and was surprised they chose to cut the part where he was talking about looking at his asshole in the mirror of the restroom and then a French couple walked in seeing him bent over.

ChicagoCita

ChicagoCita

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 11:31 PM

BBCA has apparently regained some of its senses, because the news season of Graham started tonight and it's a full hour episode. Huzzah!

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:11 AM

What? Who were the guests? I swear I checked my on screen guide and there were movies scheduled for last night. I was wondering what was going on, because now that I listen to the podcast of Graham's Saturday radio show, I know he's been having TV shows all this time.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:20 AM

It was on an hour later here (mpls). My DVR caught it. He had a lot of people on last night, including Ewan McGregor and Cate Blanchette. And didn't let anyone in the red chair tell stories. They were all dumped after their intro.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 12:18 PM

Thanks - I feel like McGregor was just on, but maybe not. Was Graham very tan? His radio co-host was talking about what a deep tan he had, so he must have had some amount of vacation, maybe after Eurovision.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 12:32 PM

That was a very good couch. I loved all their royal encounters. The naked talk was funny, too.

Ewan McGregor has always been a very good-looking man, but these days he's astoundingly handsome. Yowza.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 1:50 PM

I agree about Ewan. I've always heard people say how hot he was, and I was all, "Meh," but he's looking mighty fine to me now.

Was Graham very tan? His radio co-host was talking about what a deep tan he had, so he must have had some amount of vacation, maybe after Eurovision.

He didn't look all that different to me, but he made a remark in his intro, after joking about shrimps on the barbie (because of Australian Cate), that it looked like he fell on the barbie.

That was a great show. Of course I could have done without the musical guest, and I FF'd thru their performance, but everything was great. Ewan McGregor always has great stories, but my face was hurting as he told his last one, where he slipped on stage. And his little dog is soooo cute. Their relationship is very sweet.

Michael Sheen also is always a wonderful guest. He's so quick and has a great sense of humor. That 72-hour passion play sounds remarkable. What an experience for everyone. Has 'The Gospel of Us' been released in the US yet?

I was a bit disappointed in Cate Blanchette. Just a bit. She seemed a little stiff at first.

Matt Lucas was pretty funny, as expected. He and his fake sister Rebel Wilson really do look like siblings.

I was pleased that everyone was given a good amount of time to talk.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 2:22 PM

This premiere episode was taped like 4 weeks ago and shown in the UK, we're several weeks behind (BBC America!!!). If you missed it, you can see it on You Tube, someone (that person deserves a medal) uploaded a week after it aired in the UK.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 6:14 PM

The only downside to the most recent show was there were too many guests! I'm wondering why so many were booked. The original three I'm had plenty of more to talk about without bringing out Lucas. I like Lucas. But couldn't he be on next week instead of say, Zac Efron?

Musical guest I could have done without as well.

Love the whole hour.

Ewan is getting better looking as he gets older. But if his wife green lighted that ensemble, sorry but her taste is running a bit too bad trends and made Ewan look desperate to try and drop a decade via his wardrobe. The leather pants and the scarf was just trying way too hard. Ewan needs nothing more than jeans and a t-shirt. Less is more.

Cate looked stunning.

ChicagoCita

ChicagoCita

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 12:00 AM

It did feel crowded. I love Keane (musical guest) and wish they had been on a less busy show. I usually love the musical guests and "discovered" Imelda May through her appearance on Graham, so it just felt more rushed than usual when they were ALL nine or so on the couch. I would have preferred to see Keane on a show where they might have had a minute or two more of interview time.

I was enjoying the many varieties of Commonwealth accents: Ewan (Scottish), Graham (Irish), Michael Sheen (Welsh), Matt Lucas (English) and Cate (Australian). It just made me ridiculously happy for some reason.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 11:43 AM

Considering I fell in love with a shaggy haired Ewan in Shallow Grave & the love solidified when he played a shorn, emaciated heroin addict in Trainspotting, I'll say he's looking good! He also had that giant mole removed from his forehead a few years back, so in my eyes he's just about perfect these days.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 12:19 PM

Last night I watched the show with Zac Efron, Matt LeBlanc, and Lee Mack.

I think Zac idolizes Matt. He was hanging on his every word with a big grin. Frankly, Zac doesn’t seem too bright. Matt seems like a nice guy, but his story-telling ability is surprising dull for a comedic actor.

I love Lee Mack, so I was irritated at how nonreactive Zac and Matt were at Lee’s stories and jokes.