Graham Norton: His Eponymous Shows

• Please log in to reply

1642 replies to this topic

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Jun 25, 2004 @ 7:03 AM

Goodness, he's packed up the entire show -- gaudy suits, skits, audience interaction, white laminate desk, phallic phone, and all -- and just plopped it down in New York. I love Graham and certainly don't mind, but I guess I assumed he'd be doing something slightly different.

He was on Regis & Kelly on Thursday and did mention that the audiences in America are much noisier and more enthusiastic than those in England. He said it was one reason he enjoyed America, but I'm thinking it might get old pretty quickly.

I don't much care for Sandra Bernhard, but her ad libs for the "voice of drunken, depressed woman in bar" were pretty funny. And while I realize that low-rent dives have dim lighting for a reason, couldn't those poor men at least have noticed that her lips weren't moving? Damn.

catndahat

catndahat

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 25, 2004 @ 9:02 AM

Woo, that was great! It really did keep most of the goodness of the UK shows, which was of great relief to me.

The only problem I saw (and it was a minor quibble) was with Sandra Bernhardt- Graham shines when his guest just lets go and rides the wave, but Sandra was trying to always be in on the joke, or hold the reigns, or something.

The realdoll was hilarious- that man took off for the bathroom at breakneck speed.

Finally, something besides Arrested Development and Reno 911 to look forward to!

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Jun 25, 2004 @ 9:48 AM

I loved the first show. It dragged a little during the interviews because Sandra so hates to be upstaged and Marlon seemed alternately too hyped and too awkward, but the Real Doll in the bar bit was inspired.

And I think lifting his show whole and plopping it in NYC was a great idea. Not many people have BBC America, so it's not like most Americans are familiar with his format. But it's a format with which he's very familiar and comfortable. He's worked out all the bugs and has it down pat. If Comedy Central wants to make the show a regular series, it's best to introduce him to American audiences in his familiar format. That way they'll see him at his best.

cstad

cstad

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 25, 2004 @ 11:39 AM

I enjoyed the show. There were some uneven spots and I agree that the guests didn't seem to go with the flow so well, but overall, I found it fun.

Last night, I felt a little dirty brushing my teeth.

Goofy Lookin' Nerd

Goofy Lookin' Nerd

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 25, 2004 @ 12:53 PM

Okay, I am going to the taping of the third episode on July 6 (airing July 8). Does anyone know if there's somewhere I can look to find upcoming guests?

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Jun 25, 2004 @ 1:16 PM

Fun! I always liked Graham Norton. But the show needs to be cut to 1/2 hour.

Miki The Brain

Miki The Brain

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2004 @ 2:13 PM

Fun! I always liked Graham Norton. But the show needs to be cut to 1/2 hour

And run daily instead of weekly.

gatopreto

gatopreto

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 25, 2004 @ 5:01 PM

How did you get tickets, Goofy Lookin' Nerd?

I had tickets for the NYC BBC-A tapings, but b/c Cris Rock brought a huge entourage, I got bumped. :(

They told me I'd be hooked up with tix when they came back to NY, but all I got was an e-mail about some tapings in LA last year.

I guess being on CC, they have different people handling the audience booking.

I agree the hour show dragged a bit.

holdencaulfield2003

holdencaulfield2003

Posted Jun 25, 2004 @ 5:06 PM

You can't find out who the guest are yet. I've heard they tell ticket holders a bit beforehand, (This is to prevent scheduling snafus)

Sandra Bernhard is one of Graham's favorites, she's been on twice in Britain, and she was on in late march, for one of the UK/NY SHOWS

Bigwheels1971

Bigwheels1971

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2004 @ 5:08 PM

This has become my new 'appointment tv' show, for the summer. I loved it! The doll in the bar had me rolling :)

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Jun 25, 2004 @ 5:16 PM

My favorite guest from his UK show was John Waters. They're sensibilities mesh so well, and John is just such a great talker. He's the American trailer park version of Peter O'Toole. I hope Graham can get John on this show.

ResidentBrit

ResidentBrit

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 27, 2004 @ 2:20 PM

Hi everybody!!

I found this forum by googling The Graham Norton Effect and when I saw holdencaulfield's usename I recognised it! Also, a small note holden - you copied and pasted from my site without crediting me...... it's ok this time - I'll just credit myself :D www.sograham.tk

Anway, I'm from the UK and I am not seeing GNE until it's sent over to me on video in the summer (july/august I'm guessing) but I can't wait! I am SO glad to see he's retained Stand Up Sit Down from So, and the set is very much more "Graham" than his one-off series which he did for Channel 4 (his previous network here in the UK) called NYGN. As yet, I do not know a place where you can find out guests, I'm working on it!

Also, the tickets! Well, just visit this page for all ticket details!

Any questions feel free to email me: grahamnortonwebzine@hotmail.com or visit my site: www.sograham.tk :D

Catherine

holdencaulfield2003

holdencaulfield2003

Posted Jun 27, 2004 @ 5:24 PM

Hey Resident brit. Sorry for all that. I knew i should have linked it to your site :(

BTW, before you get harangued by the mods, you should read this

http://forums.televi...owtopic=3116195

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Jun 28, 2004 @ 12:04 AM

And run daily instead of weekly.

Yeah, I don't believe he can create much of a stir doing a weekly show. Maybe twice-weekly at least, so there's more often something fresh to air, and it could easily be accomplished if he were to cut the show to 1/2 hour and tighten up the segments.

Goofy Lookin' Nerd

Goofy Lookin' Nerd

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 29, 2004 @ 11:16 AM

It says to pass it on, so I guess it's okay to post. Here's the email I got from the Graham Norton people (grahamnortonNY@broadwayvideo.com):

Feel free to pass this invitation along to anyone(friends, family, co-workers) who might be interested in attending the shows.

ATTENTION FANS OF GRAHAM NORTON!!!
GRAHAM'S NEW TALK SHOW THE GRAHAM NORTON EFFECT WILL BE TAPING FOR
COMEDY CENTRAL IN NYC
EVERY TUESDAY  ~ JUNE 21st- SEPTEMBER 14, 2004

If you live in the NEW YORK CITY AREA or will be in NYC when the shows are filming, we want you to join the audience for these special NEW GRAHAM NORTON shows. The shows will be taping in Manhattan every TUESDAY from JUNE 21st through SEPTEMBER 14, 2004  at 7pm.

Don't miss this opportunity to see Graham Norton in his element and on his new COMEDY CENTRAL SHOW -- THE GRAHAM NORTON EFFECT filming live in New York!!

If you want to attend, please email us at grahamnortonNY@broadwayvideo.com with the following information in both the subject line and the body of your email:

1. GRAHAM NORTON EFFECT
2. your full name and the name of your guest if you know it
3. your phone number(s) (all of your phone numbers  and those of your guest -
these are really important as the show's producers will be calling you and your guest and doing research for the shows.  The audience is a vital part of the show and we need to be able to get in touch with you.  Thanks for understanding)
4. your email address and your guest's email address
5. which show(s) you can attend at the moment we are only booking these shows in the series BUT WE WILL ACCEPT RESERVATIONS FOR OTHER SHOWS IN THE SERIES.
SHOW 3 - TUESDAY, JULY 6, 2004 - 6:45 PM
SHOW 4 - TUESDAY, JULY 13, 2004 - 6:45 PM
SHOW 5 - TUESDAY, JULY 20, 2004 - 6:45 PM
SHOW 6 - TUESDAY, JULY 27, 2004- 6:45 PM
SHOW 7 - TUESDAY, AUG. 3rd, 2004 - 6:45 PM
ANY SHOW (meaning any of the shows)

YOU MUST BE ON LINE BETWEEN BETWEEN 5:30PM and 5:45PM! (please note if  you are flexible about which show you can attend you are more likely to get tickets)

6. 4 tickets is the maximum number we can allow per request.
7. If you and/or your guest are BRITISH please indicate that in your request (From anywhere in the UK or Ireland originally. This is just fyi for us.)

example:  GRAHAM NORTON EFFECT/ Groucho Marx/(212) 555-1212 (all your numbers)/ANY SHOW/2 tickets/ American

The three asterisks indicate where I removed some paragraphs that just had some background info on GN & his career.

Good luck!!

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Jun 30, 2004 @ 12:50 PM

I watched most of the first show in the most uncomfortable situation ever. I had my three teenaged step nephews, my brother in law and my mother in the room with me. I swear I was the only one who got the breathing aparatus for cunnilingus joke. It was definitely not Graham's audience there with me. I'll withhold judgement until I see this week's show, but so far I definitely prefer the BBC America Graham. I was part of the NYC audience when he brought his show here last spring, and we are way too loud for his kind of show.

ResidentBrit

ResidentBrit

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 1, 2004 @ 12:56 PM

Hey!!

Thanks holdencaulfield! I checked out the do's and don'ts!! I won't plug as heavily LOL! I just wanted to let people know about my site! :)

We have just heard that GNE will be on BBC3 soon! I am not sure yet whether it will be after the season has finished in america or like in a few weeks because they have only just signed the deal! Oh, and BBC3 is a satallite channel - you can recieve it by dish (sky) or a bbc digital thing called freeview in the uk. It's like cable - you get extra channels. However, it's likely I'll recieve my video before it's on BBC3!

Catherine

SeeeTeee

SeeeTeee

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2004 @ 9:47 PM

Does anyone have any idea what make and model his phone is? I love it. It's so modern. I want one.

Senefra

Senefra

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 1, 2004 @ 10:40 PM

Just saw the second episode, (missed the first, but I'm sure there will be a repeat of it at some later date) and it was so funny! Favorite moments have to be Norton having Tilly "Guess The Cleavage", the Spider-Man rhetoric and Norton showing one of her fans gift's "special" uses for Julie Dephy...

P.S.~*Disclaimer* The following comparison is just in looks, does not reflect on on any inherited personality traits of said parties, although the Izzard one is s'allright with loads of folks...

Is it just me, or does Norton look like a cross between CrazyPaSimpson, An Oompa Loompa & Eddie Izzard (especially the speech pattern & physical movement)? Just wondering if anyone see's this at all besides me...

Edited by Senefra, Jul 1, 2004 @ 10:47 PM.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Jul 2, 2004 @ 9:07 AM

I thought the interviews were much better this week than last, but the bits fell flat. Jennifer Tilly is the perfect guest for Graham (along with John Waters) because she's a warm person and funny storyteller who doesn't get shocked by much and graciously shares the spotlight. And she's a little tacky, a little flashy, very bawdy and loud. Kinda like Graham.

Julie Delpy surprised me in a good way, and her interview showed one of Graham's inherent strengths as a talk-show host. She seemed like a shy but engaging person, but the person interviewing her would make the difference. With Graham, he's very warm and personable and no matter what he asks of his guests, he never makes them look bad. I'm sure she felt comfortable with him, and that brought out the odder and more relatable aspects of her personality.

Versai

Versai

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 2, 2004 @ 10:00 AM

I was actually in the taping for the second show and it's interesting to see how everything was edited for tv:
  • the applause heard for the skits/sketches is not a true reflection of our response in the studio. We were much louder (I think), but towards the end of the taping, the producer/director asked for people with blue eyes to applaud only. I think that "blue eyed" applause was spliced into various area of the show.
  • the Jennifer Tilly/boundage/telephone ordeal was cut down a lot. There was at least 2 or three minutes of the Julie Delpy on the show trying to enterpret the french woman on the phone that were thankfully cut out.
  • To me, Julie Delpy was boring in person. The edit made her look interesting and fun.
  • I was determined to NOT reveal anything during the audience stand up/sit down section, but who is going to stand up is determined in advance--so people aren't really coming up with stuff on the fly.
Graham was very friendly with the crowd very funny and all of us got Seed Of Chucky keychains.

Lawdawg

Lawdawg

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 2, 2004 @ 4:08 PM

SeeeTeee,

Its a Bang & Olufsen, Beocom 2 if I am not mistaken. They have a lot of cool things, but they are pricey.

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Jul 2, 2004 @ 4:11 PM

Really good bits. Somehow it doesn't feel as racy as So Graham Norton though it's fundamentally the same show. Upthread it was mentioned that this may be due to the American crowd as opposed to British, and there's something to the reasoning but it feels incomplete, as nuanced an explanation as can be made from the fact. I just don't know. But the show's hitting at only about 80% for me yet.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Jul 2, 2004 @ 4:17 PM

Even with the old format in tact, it's a new home, new audience, and Graham's a fairly new entity in the States, and I think that's where the disconnects are.

Despite both sides wanting to believe there's a great cultural divide between the UK and US the differences are negligible and I think that by the end of the season he'll hit his stride, and if it comes back the second season will be fine.

Compare these episodes to the first two episodes of "So..." and see if the quality isn't higher because he's been doing this for so long.

Edited by vallegirl, Jul 2, 2004 @ 4:18 PM.

corgi-ears

corgi-ears

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2004 @ 4:38 PM

I thought the interviews were much better this week than last, but the bits fell flat.

The audience stories were a little lame, I thought, but I did enjoy the Mount Assmore bit. I'm pretty blase about what I see on TV, but I have to admit that, when the last ass-owner -- the one who was supposed to be made up to look like Bill Clinton -- turned around and, for a moment, I and everyone in the studio thought his partner had stuck the cigar into his asshole, I did gasp a little bit.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Jul 2, 2004 @ 5:13 PM

Mt. Assmore had its moments, and yes, the Bill Clinton one did elicit a moment of cringing from me as well, but as soon as the guy turned around I started looking for the cigar, which in and of itself is a strange thing to do while watching a talk show.

Edited by vallegirl, Jul 2, 2004 @ 10:01 PM.

otcinsf

otcinsf

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 3, 2004 @ 2:12 AM

In watching tonight's rerun I remembered questioning the veracity of "Pierre", who accidentally drove his car into NYC's Gay Pride Parade and ended up being lauded by the crowd as a "gay dad". Do you think people really end up making one little wrong turn... onto 5th Avenue... during the Pride Parade? And how was he holding his son and driving (at three miles an hour) simultaneously? I think someone just wanted to be on TeeVee.....

Watched the show tonight with a Brit friend and we're at a loss to figure out why the show just isn't as much fun as SGN. The best we've come up with so far is what we think are some basic differences between Americans and Brits; Brits thinks sex is funny no matter who is doing it, but that making fun of people isn't nice, while Americans think sex is never funny, but that making fun of people is a great way to spend an evening.

At least that's what we had come up with aftet the second gin & tonic.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Jul 3, 2004 @ 1:08 PM

I thought he said he walked into the parade. Still could be a fabricated story, but I doubt he was driving around NYC.

And I stand by my assertion that the awkwardness is just a matter of getting used to a new environment. Even though he brought as many elements as he could from the old show, it's still a new one with a new audience and he's still in the proving stage. I really don't think there's nearly as much of a difference between British and American humor, except for the accents.

Edited by vallegirl, Jul 3, 2004 @ 4:18 PM.

Goofy Lookin' Nerd

Goofy Lookin' Nerd

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 7, 2004 @ 7:34 AM

I went to the taping last night - I would have to say it's the best show yet! The guests were Alan Cumming and Paul Rudd. After the turkey guests they've been having I was a little nervous to see who would be on. I was so relieved to actually be excited to see Alan Cumming. I've had a weird fascination with him since his role of Creepy Sean in Circle of Friends.

I'm curious to see how the show airs. There was a big running joke about cock rings, and Graham was saying that he doesn't think they'll be able to say it on TV. I hope so, because it was pretty funny!! During a commercial break a debate about metal vs. rubber cock rings began and a guy in the audience pulled out (I didn't see from where) his own rubber cock ring - so that was a little unexpected.

Let's see - The stand up/sit down part was about sex stories gone wrong... they were a little lame, although one girl surprised us.

Alan Cumming came on and told some great stories about Ian McKellan on a nude beach, and him wearing a kilt (with a cockring) to the X-men premier.

Graham then did a bit about people with unusual talents. These people then went out to make a trailer for the "new" x-men. That was really funny.

Paul Rudd came out, and let me say - he is one good looking guy. Then again I love that dark hair/blue eyes combo. Good interview - a couple of his stories drifted but he was clever and charming. He and Alan interacted well.

They placed a cell phone in a bathroom of a bar on the same block. The interaction with Paul Rudd was pretty good.

The beach bit at the end was one of the most frightening things I'd ever seen in my life. I'm actually quite surprised they did it. Maybe it won't look as bad on tv, but let me tell you that in person it was deeply disturbing.

There weren't many re-shoots. The only thing Graham had to do was a new intro for BBC 3 who bought the show and will be airing it in the UK. It took 2 seconds. Graham was pretty funny and couldn't stop laughing about how much they paid for it and all he had to do was say "welcome back to my american show".

I was in the very last row, so I doubt that I'll get on TV. If I do I'll let you know who I am :)

ETA: I don't know if they'll edit this part out, but when Graham pulls the gift out of his drawer of goodies he says "People send us things" like he did before ( I forget to which guest it was said). What struck me as odd when he said it to her was that he mentioned something like "when they find out who will be on". I don't know how they would find out who is going to be on. This time he said that the person wrote "give it to someone with a dog"...

Edited by Goofy Lookin' Nerd, Jul 7, 2004 @ 7:58 AM.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Jul 7, 2004 @ 12:07 PM

It was Julie Delpy and he pulled out the French Chef vibrator.