The Shield

• Please log in to reply

6416 replies to this topic

Brandon

Brandon

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2008 @ 7:38 AM

Some clips from season seven have been updated on the official website. There is a fair amount of spoilers involved, so watch out.

Woody13

Woody13

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 14, 2008 @ 3:43 PM

Dang. I didn't know Billings liked sushi.

Wittgenstein

Wittgenstein

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 3:31 AM

Some updates which might be thought vaguely spoilery if you haven't been watching - I'm pretty sure, though, that everyone knows that Vic is headed for some kind of fall The only question is how or where
http://www.nj.com/en...king_ahead.html

http://latimesblogs....ce-tca-p-1.html

anyone want to guess what Vic's ''comeuppance'' might be?

I'm guessing that... he's promoted to head the barn and can no longer lord over the streets or his underlings. He'll be left powerless to watch another generation of crooked cops thwart and undermine his leadership. Now that's what I call street justice...

(wild speculation of course).

Edited by Wittgenstein, Jul 16, 2008 @ 4:03 AM.

Moon Beagle

Moon Beagle

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 2:18 AM

That would be funny as hell if Vic got promoted. I'm thinking too many viewers would find it dramatically unsatisfactory if that happened.

I'm just glad we're gonna get to see Tavon again.

Bill C

Bill C

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 12:03 PM

It's not entirely impossible that Vic could get promoted--look at Steve Billings--but I'm with Moon Beagle: the audience's collective heads would explode if this happened, because of all the line-crossing and shady stuff--that people in-show know about--that he's done up until now. (Though, after that, the pro-Vic contingent would probably go "Yeah!") If nothing else, though, it'd be one hell of an anticlimactic epic swerve--and the show does delight in throwing those at us. Most of the time.

Interesting, though: not only do we get one more glimpse of Tavon, but also Kleavon Gardner.

JesseBaker

JesseBaker

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 4:04 PM

The notion of Vic being neutralized in the end, via some sort of forced promotion up the chain of command (presumably into the Captain slot) probably won't happen, since it would evoke too many overt references to Michael Chiklis's former series "The Commish" and overshadow the finale with critics and fans.

At the very least, Vic's fall from grace/comeuppence has to be a nasty and utterly destructive affair for everyone within a twelve mile radius of Vic when it happens. I'm thinking that his "comeuppence" will be tied into the way that the final battle between Vic and Shane ends. It would be kind of fitting if Claudette or Dutch are forced to kill Vic in order to keep him from killing Shane, as far as even in death Vic is able to corrupt people as far as putting D/C into a position where in order to save Shane (for the purpose of allowing the system be the one who makes Shane pay for his various crimes), they have to kill someone (Vic). Bonus points if Claudette is the one who pulls the trigger, as far as her doing it to protect Dutch from the fall-out of having killed his rival (which would parallel Shane's decision to kill Lem without Vic's permission, as far as Shane doing it because he felt that Vic couldn't do the deed).

Edited by JesseBaker, Jul 17, 2008 @ 4:13 PM.

Bill C

Bill C

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 6:21 PM

It would almost be too neat and tidy, after a fashion, for Vic to flip out to the point where a fellow cop ends up being the one who punches his card. (Though it would be an awesome full-circle moment.) However, there are only two possible endings: Vic lives, with his life almost certainly completely frakked up, or he dies leaving behind God only knows what.

(Ironically, a couple of clips on FX's website appear to indicate that Vic and Co. apparently either help along or engineer a war of some sort between Rezian's Armenian Mafia and an unidentified Latino group. Who knows what that could lead to...)

JesseBaker

JesseBaker

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 8:07 PM

It would almost be too neat and tidy, after a fashion, for Vic to flip out to the point where a fellow cop ends up being the one who punches his card. (Though it would be an awesome full-circle moment.)

Especially if Claudette is the one who pulls the trigger, considering how she defended Vic in the pilot as a necessary evil.

(Ironically, a couple of clips on FX's website appear to indicate that Vic and Co. apparently either help along or engineer a war of some sort between Rezian's Armenian Mafia and an unidentified Latino group. Who knows what that could lead to...)

That was leaked last year along with the "Ronnie is in charge of the Strike Team" spoiler.

Vic's solution to the shitstorm Shane created regarding the Armenian Mob now knowing Vic orchestrated the Money Train Heist, is to manipulate the Mexican Mafia into wiping out the Armenians, with the hope that both sides will kill the other off in a bit of "mutually assured destruction" warfare. Which is also a nice knod towards the current situation regarding Vic and Shane, as far as both men being stuck in a MAD-type situation where neither man can destroy the other without destroying themselves in the process.

Moon Beagle

Moon Beagle

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2008 @ 2:31 AM

Whatever the ending may be, I don't think it takes a lot of brains to figure that Shane's tell-all document will factor into it in a big way.

Someone please remind me...who was Kleavon Gardner?

Bill C

Bill C

Stalker

Posted Jul 19, 2008 @ 8:00 AM

Kleavon Gardner was a two-time adversary of Dutch and Claudette's from seasons four and five. Officially turned out to be a serial killer in S5 (the episode where Claudette actually was the one spending time in the box with the psycho--turns out he had a slight fixation on her, judging from the corpses bearing her hairstyle).

Edited by Bill C, Jul 19, 2008 @ 12:27 PM.

Moon Beagle

Moon Beagle

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2008 @ 5:40 PM

Thanks, Bill. I forgot the guy's name, but know exactly who he is.

TheNorth

TheNorth

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2008 @ 6:36 PM

Shane's tell-all document

Yeah...good point on that...you just know it's coming-back at some point to bite him in the keister...

Any way it goes down...it is sure to be as intense as just about everyone else's final appearance in the show before they were off'ed...

JesseBaker

JesseBaker

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 12:55 AM

Regarding Shane's "Moment of Captain Sensibility MAD Document"; IIRC we only have Shane's word towards the lengthy steps he's taken steps to ensure that the document will be made public if he or Mara or their kid are killed.

While I'm sure both Shane and Mara have copies of the MAD Document in the event something happened to the other, I don't think Shane has the resources or the people in his life to hold the document for him and release it in the event something happened to both Shane AND Mara. Unless Mara did the networking/gave copies to her sister and estranged mother as added leverage.

I say this because, well it's Shane we are talking about. For every decent idea he gets, he ends up fucking up the execution 9/10ths of the time unless he has Vic or Lem to hold his hand so that he doesn't color outside the lines. And again, unless Mara found herself having to further drive herself into her husband's illegal life by managing the MAD Document and setting up the network to leak it out, then Shane's scheme is at best a temporary way to keep Vic neutralized for the short term. Inevitably, Vic will either destroy the copies of the document, find a way to discredit said document, or just say fuck it and call Shane's bluff and pray Shane values his own freedom/life over the wonder that is Mutually Assured Destruction....

Kleavon Gardner was a two-time adversary of Dutch and Claudette's from seasons four and five. Officially turned out to be a serial killer in S5 (the episode where Claudette actually was the one spending time in the box with the psycho--turns out he had a slight fixation on her, judging from the corpses bearing her hairstyle).

He actually killed only one woman who had Claudette's hairstyle, after a particularly tense encounter with Claudette/Dutch led to his sister turning against him when she realized that he was indeed a serial killer.

Edited by JesseBaker, Jul 27, 2008 @ 1:00 AM.

Bill C

Bill C

Stalker

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 9:47 AM

Mara's mother, at least going off the one time we saw her, was even trashier and gabbier than Mara is. However, since Mara isn't the sharpest tool in the shed either, it's entirely possible that Shane gave her a copy of The Document for safe-keeping and she in turn gave it or a copy of it to Mom...just in case. (And beyond that...Shane has absolutely no allies he can trust. Not Ronnie, not Julian, and certainly not Rezian. So who else would he give a copy to? Army?)

It's tidy, though, in that the show made us at least temporarily forget about The Document thanks to Vic's hearing and, at the end of S6, the Car Trunk o' Stuff and the mess with Shane briefly kidnapping Corrine and Cassidy...

JesseBaker

JesseBaker

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 1:37 PM

and the mess with Shane briefly kidnapping Corrine and Cassidy...

Which, despite the good intentions of why Shane kidnapped the two, is probably what will push Vic to go after Shane in spite of the document. Which reminds me:

Since it's been leaked that Vic will give Shane a taste of his own medicine via kidnapping Mara and the couple's baby, maybe Vic will use the kidnapping to force Shane to give up EVERY copy of his MAD Document to Vic for the purpose of Vic destroying it.

Moon Beagle

Moon Beagle

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2008 @ 9:44 AM

All Shane has to do is leave the document in the hands of an attorney who can release it to the proper people in the event of his death.

hakirby

hakirby

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2008 @ 5:30 PM

Assuming the lawyer hears about Shane's death. I'm pretty sure Vic could make it seem like he's run off or manipulate Shane into handing over the thing and its copies.

As someone upthread noted, this is Shane we're talking about here.

SideShow Steve

SideShow Steve

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 30, 2008 @ 4:21 PM

Mara is the last person I would give the MAD document to. She's too mentally/emotionally unstable and very stupid as well. Also, as much as Shane fucks around on her, she could "drop the bomb" on him if she found out about his "affairs". I'm pretty sure there's stuff in the document that could harm her along with Vic and Shane, but she's probably too crazy to care.

Moon Beagle

Moon Beagle

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 10:09 AM

We're less than a month out from the final season premier. I can't believe we're not getting more media buzz and spoilers. What's up?

Jarret

Jarret

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 8:10 PM

It's the Forgotten Show. Not enough homoerotic content to interest TWoP; not enough ratings to interest the mainstream media.

We're going to see the amazing final act of a fantastic, gripping piece of art. I guess we have to settle for that.

Moon Beagle

Moon Beagle

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2008 @ 2:05 AM

Not enough homoerotic content to interest TWoP;

Guess they never saw the first season, or ep 3.5.

Bill C

Bill C

Stalker

Posted Aug 10, 2008 @ 10:56 AM

For a show as good as this has been, it's still surprising that it gets as little overall press as it does. Okay, maybe not so much now, but still. Hell, I don't think anybody even does/did synopses for it on a regular basis apart from a guy over at TV Squad (I think) and myself (only giving myself half a point there, since nobody reads Usenet--snerk).

...A related silly thought: since I'm damn sure going to be continuing synopses for this last season, I may go ahead and bust out something I did when I was writing my Y&R column/miniblog: a list of only partially serious statistics for the entire show, once it all ends. (The Year, or in this case Series, in Numbers.) I should probably try to work on a list of what stats to include...

Edited by Bill C, Aug 10, 2008 @ 10:57 AM.

Moon Beagle

Moon Beagle

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2008 @ 12:29 PM

The show seemed to get a lot of press buzz for the first season up through the Emmy win, then it all seemed to die off to little more than a murmur.

Compare this to show like The Sopranos, 24 or Lost, which get tons of press coverage four and five seasons out.

I'd like to blame it on the fact that the show airs on F-X, but Knip-Tuck even seems to get more coverage than The Shield. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that the show has become just a bit less edgie since the third season.

Bill C

Bill C

Stalker

Posted Aug 10, 2008 @ 2:47 PM

In a weird sort of way, could a case possibly be made for The Shield overall pushing the envelope the least out of all the truly high-profile FX projects--very possibly because it was the first? (Nip/Tuck may well be the standard bearer for this theory.) Though yes...once Michael Chiklis scored his Emmy (and it's still a damn shame CCH Pounder never got one) it's all been diminishing returns mediawise...

Mr. Excitement

Mr. Excitement

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2008 @ 7:31 PM

Shawn Ryan is a very busy man. That Hillside Strangler project with James Ellroy sounds promising.

In an item that I found unexpectedly poignant, one of The Shield's soundstages has apparently already found a new tenant. I know, it's not as if the stage was going to be left empty in solemn remembrance, but, you know.

TheNorth

TheNorth

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 10, 2008 @ 8:17 PM

We're less than a month out from the final season premier. I can't believe we're not getting more media buzz and spoilers...

Yeah, true. Should be some buzz going in the coming weeks, up until the premiere. As fans, I'm sure you've been eagerly checking the official site...these new videos that are up are pretty interesting and give a few laughs, as well as some insider nuggets, for the time being.

Rollins316

Rollins316

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2008 @ 11:27 PM

A ton of spoilers for the first half of season seven have been circulating for a while, at least since last fall when production wrapped. I think that the massive delays plus the notion that the cast, writers, crew have taken a vow of silence of sorts to keep spoilers at a bare minimum for how the ride ends, has led to a semi-miracle, given that with the massive six month delay you would have thought that all of the season's storylines/series ending would have leaked out by now.

As for why TWOP hasn't recapped the show, I made a point to ask this a couple of years back: the answer I got was that TBTP just don't like the show and nothing was going to get them to change their minds about blackballing it from ever being recapped on the site (same with Nip/Tuck, who's blacklisting was made part of the "Charmed" FAQ of all things).

That said, "The Shield" not getting a ton of press/hype is a good thing; both "The Sopranos" and "The Wire" got masturbated over by the press as genius TV and ended up crawling up their own asses creatively and ending with a huge wimper that eradicated the genius of their early years. As such, "The Shield" now has the golden oppertunity to surpass both shows as it goes down to the finish line, which is an acceptable trade-off creatively I would think.

Moon Beagle

Moon Beagle

Fanatic

Posted Aug 11, 2008 @ 9:43 AM

Rollins, you make a great point and I agree with you. I'd rather The Shield be under-hyped and stay good than to become a bloated parody of itself ala The Sopranos with the media sucking the wind all the way.

Akritt

Akritt

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 11, 2008 @ 11:33 AM

We're less than a month out from the final season premier. I can't believe we're not getting more media buzz and spoilers. What's up?

I'd also add that it might be because this is The Shield's third "final" season. Season Five was going to be the extended final season with two blocks of ten episodes each (the same thing that is happening with Battlestar Galactica). Then, because of the long gaps between airing the two halves, it was broken into two "complete" seasons, the second of which was to be the "final" season. And now we have a seventh "final" season, which finished filming back at the beging of the writers strike and will air in September.

chesley

chesley

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 11, 2008 @ 12:32 PM

A couple of different promos for the new season were running during the "Damages" marathon this weekend, so its getting pushed on FX at least a little.

The delays between seasons for this show haven't helped it. As happy as I was to see the promos, I would have been more excited 6 months ago, now its a bit more like "Finally!" than anything else... I'm hoping FX schedules a marathon of the previous season before the new ones starts, picking up with Lem's last ep.