The Shield

• Please log in to reply

6416 replies to this topic

jo richmond

jo richmond

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 6:28 AM

It would appear that the S2 DVD is due out tomorrow (January 6) although posts on The Shield thread at FX indicate that someone bought it at his/her local Walmart yesterday (January 4).

I know what I'll be shopping for on my days off!

entigral

entigral

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 4:08 AM

ee! Just got S2 in the mail as a late xmas gift. drooooooool. Now I gotta clean up this place so I can hook up my DVD player and watch. :D

I stumbled across this at a casting website. It's spoilery. Dunno which ep it's for, but it sure sounds fun!

ho boy, Lance! That name is just too funny, esp after GTA:VC and this -

[Homer] and you took all our good names! Bruce, Julian and Lance all used to be manly names! [/Homer] - from that John Waters ep, probably called something like Homerphobic/a.

I guess with the wait til March I can concentrate on work (pained smile). Growl. Want S3! Want want want! sniiffff.

michelec

michelec

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 9:54 AM

Thanks for the link entigral. I'm especially looking forward to seeing Shane go undercover as a male prostitute. That should be comedy gold.

Mrs Visnjic I Wish

Mrs Visnjic I Wish

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 10:00 AM

That should be comedy gold.

I'm already cracking up just thinking about it. ;)

Mrs Visnjic I Wish

Mrs Visnjic I Wish

Stalker

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 11:21 AM

From Filmjerk:

Trick is distributing illegal pharmaceuticals for Lewis Thompkins, but gives Lewis up to Vic in exchange for getting off a murder rap in “Strays."

Edited by Mrs Visnjic I Wish, Jan 22, 2004 @ 12:11 PM.

Bigwheels1971

Bigwheels1971

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 4:12 PM

I'm hoping that they add a female team member to Vic's crew this year. I think that might really shake things up.

Kris_AB

Kris_AB

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 11:21 AM

Here's something to maybe tide a few of you over until March.

The first issue of the comic book mini-series for The Shield will be out this week (Wednesday, if you wanna pick it up at your local comic shop). It'll be five issues in total. There's no guaranteeing that it'll be collected in one big trade paperback later on, it all depends on how well the series sells, so you may not wanna wait. IDW Publishing has it up on their website, in the links I've provided.

They've got a deal if you subscribe to the series, it's $4 less than what it would cost you to buy all five issues individually. However, there's a $9 shipping charge, so if you live near a comic store it'd probably be more worth your while to just buy it there. I'd only recommend getting it online if you live out in the middle of nowhere or if you want the luxury of having it delivered to your doorstep.

Interview with mini-series writer Jeff Mariotte. I've never read anything of his, but he seems to be heavily into TV adaptations. He co-wrote the second volume of The Watcher's Guide (Buffy the Vampire Slayer), a bunch of Buffy, Angel, and Star Trek novels (what I like to think of as glorified fanfiction that you have to pay for) and he writes comics (CSI, CSI: Miami, Gen 13, etc). Worth a try.

Castro

Castro

Posted Feb 1, 2004 @ 2:44 AM

And here's an interview with Shawn Ryan, creator and writer. I wish I knew a way to convert that annoying Adobe to a basic text file for easier reading, but it was worth it anyway.

This show amazed me from the gitgo - I've called it the Poor Man's "Wire," but only because Ryan doesn't have the freedom that HBO gives. He thinks and cares about all his characters. Julien is the most fascinating, to me; here's a bit of what Ryan says:

So many shows had already told stories of tolerance and acceptance, and they do a lot of good.  But I knew there were people out there in other parts of the country who still hate themselves due to the cultures they live in. I wanted to look at a culture like that.  Both black culture and cop culture can be places where being gay is unacceptable, so I wanted a character to explore these areas.

joey42

joey42

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2004 @ 6:26 PM

Here's another article with an interview with Shawn Ryan, this one in Middlebury College's magazine. He's a 1988 alumnus of Middlebury.

Kris_AB

Kris_AB

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 2:21 PM

Castro said

I've called it the Poor Man's "Wire," but only because Ryan doesn't have the freedom that HBO gives.

That's a big surprise. How is he limited by having the series air on FX? The channels it airs on in Canada (Global and Mystery) don't censor it at all, so it seems just as honest as your usual HBO show. Is it censored on FX? They don't seem to be shying away from any subject matter, and I'm pretty sure they've allowed every cussword in the book.

Anyone pick up the first issue of the comic? Just wanted to hear some reviews about it. I went to the comic shop last week to pick up some other titles and saw one copy of it (either it sold out really well or the store only ordered the one). I left it there 'cause I'm more interested in getting all five of the issues in a trade paperback collection, if I hear that it's well-written.

Edited by Kris_AB, Feb 4, 2004 @ 2:24 PM.

Castro

Castro

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 4:11 PM

That was another interesting interview, Joey B.

KRISAB,don't get me wrong. I love The Shield, and calling it The Poor Man's Wire is largely a compliment. When it first came out, I remember some of the critics being all agog over its "frankness," but that's not my reason. First (and maybe from Ryan's comments in the Middlebury interview this isn't the case) : was I mistaken in assuming that it would be scrapped if viewership was notably poor?

But primarily, seems to me it's structurally closer to Homicide (another of the Greats), and geared to shorter attention spans than The Wire. The Shield's characters were pretty well established early on. In The Wire, we came to know them a lot more slowly, as in real life, or a novel. Finally, Simon is consciously writing about major social problems facing this country - so far, the drug culture and the disappearance of decent blue-collar jobs; and I don't see how you can care about the characters without realizing how much of their fate arises from environments they can't change and can't always escape. Maybe I should switch and call Simon's show The Thinking Man's Shield instead, except that doesn't do justice, either!

Kris_AB

Kris_AB

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2004 @ 8:19 PM

I'll have to rent The Wire when it comes out on DVD at the end of April to see how the two shows compare. The Shield is the first cop drama I've ever liked, so I'm new to the genre.

Any mentions/reviews of The Wire that I've see have been positive, but it doesn't seem to be getting as much press as The Sopranos, Oz, or Six Feet Under did after two seasons. Do you think that's due to it belonging to a genre that's so common on network TV and not having a high-concept slant like SFU, Sopranos, Oz, and Carnivale?

Castro

Castro

Posted Feb 5, 2004 @ 9:39 PM

Kris AB:

Any mentions/reviews of The Wire that I've see have been positive, but it doesn't seem to be getting as much press as The Sopranos, Oz, or Six Feet Under did after two seasons. Do you think that's due to it belonging to a genre that's so common on network TV and not having a high-concept slant like SFU, Sopranos, Oz, and Carnivale?

I'm fuzzy on "high-concept slant," so will only try a little more description. First, if I hadn't read some early reviews, I probably wouldn't have stuck with the show for the three or four episodes that took me (I'm not quick) to sort everybody out. A major difference is that time is divided between cops and crooks, and you get to known both equally well, and to recognize the similar problems they encounter in their respective organizations. Both shows feather the role of politics within organizations, and the difficult choices to be made. And, as I mentioned above, The Wire puts all its people in big-ticket settings - the drug culture, the decline of waterfront jobs.

There's also sex and some pretty awful violence - I don't mean to make the show sound preachy. Some of this "routine" stuff has a lot more wallop because you've come to know the people so well. (It reminds me of "Homicide" in its utterly natural-seeming integration of black and white characters, by the way. No wonder, since Baltimore-based Homicide is one of its cousins.) As in The Shield, characters are a natural mix of good and bad.

As for popularity: I followed all the HBO series you mentioned above; liked them all, though not equally. The Wire probably demands the most attentive viewing, and that may be against it. Or maybe its subject-matter turns people off. I rank it at the top, with the utterly different SFU. You'll just have to try it and see what you think. (I recommend sobriety for the first run-through. )

upperwestwannabe

upperwestwannabe

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 18, 2004 @ 12:19 PM

I was wondering if any of you guys can help me out. See, I live in Canada, which has it's benefits, for sure, but unfortunately the networks up here don't see fit to show the third season of The Shield until 2005. 2005, people. That's, like, eons away and I can't handle not seeing the show and remaining spoiler-free for that long.

So I was wondering if anyone would be willing to tape them for me and mail them to me. Of course I would pay for the tapes, S&H, and all that. Seeing as the season is only 15 episodes long, it shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience (6 eps per tape, three tapes, and as such, only three trips to the post office).

Failing that, is there anyone in Toronto who has satellite who wants a new friend? :)

scarletine

scarletine

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 12:32 PM

Anyone pick up the first issue of the comic? Just wanted to hear some reviews about it. I went to the comic shop last week to pick up some other titles and saw one copy of it (either it sold out really well or the store only ordered the one). I left it there 'cause I'm more interested in getting all five of the issues in a trade paperback collection, if I hear that it's well-written.

I went out to IDW Publishing, and ordered a subscription of the series, as I seem to recall reading somewhere that there was no guarantee that it would be compiled into a graphic novel. Plus, they're signed by Jeff Mariotte who's writing the series, which I hoped might eventually increase them in value even if I didn't particularly like the comic.

Anyways, as for the first issue, it's kind of dull. But a lot of first comics are, as they're just entering the storylines, and getting you introduced to the characters. It's hard to tell where everything is going to go at this point, so maybe by the second or third issue, I can give a better assessment. The artwork is great, though. Very stylized and colorful. Wyms, Dutch, and Mackey are very well drawn, and instantly recognizable, while the other's likenesses suffer a bit. But you can still tell who everyone is.

ETA: I just got the second installment in the mail, and while the dialogue is still a bit wooden, the stories are definitely picking up speed. Stolen paintings, dead anchorwoman, hostage situations, they're definitely trying to pack as much into an issue as they can.

Edited by scarletine, Feb 23, 2004 @ 6:37 PM.

Tiger96

Tiger96

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 28, 2004 @ 9:45 AM

Entertainment Weekly has a review of the new season of the Shield in its new issue (haven't seen it posted online yet) -- Gave the new series an A- and was really positive about its ability to sustain drama in the new season. I CAN'T WAIT!!

Some tidbits: They said that Aceveda will try to hold on to his Captain position for a bit longer to rehabilitate his reputation, increasing tension between him and Claudette (nice! More of her would be great.) Dutch will be assigned to look into the Armenian mob robbery (double nice -- more Dutch vs. Mackey)

michelec

michelec

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2004 @ 9:20 AM

Does season 3 premiere this week?

Brandon

Brandon

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2004 @ 9:29 AM

Sorry, the third season premieres next week michelec.

scarletine

scarletine

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2004 @ 2:07 PM

Only one more week to go! [Kermit] Yaaaaaaayyyyyyy!!!!!! [\Kermit]

Gates

Gates

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2004 @ 2:19 PM

I got the best birthday present ever! The Shield returns!! On my Birthday!!!

I second the kermit-style "Yaaaaaaayyyy!"

Uber Beaver

Uber Beaver

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2004 @ 2:42 PM

My roommate was shocked that I would drop Queer Eye for the Straight Guy out of my rotation for "some cop show". Sigh. Some people just don't get it.

And what a great treat Gates!

joey42

joey42

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2004 @ 5:11 PM

It's perfect timing, as my other two shows are going down the crapper.

Bring on the strike team!

Mrs Visnjic I Wish

Mrs Visnjic I Wish

Stalker

Posted Mar 8, 2004 @ 7:11 PM

Does anyone know where I can find Shield recaps?

scarletine

scarletine

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2004 @ 10:28 PM

Phew! I was beginning to think I was the only one going nuts waiting for this damn show to start up again. Just 23:35 hours to go...

ETA: I haven't read any yet, so I'm not sure of how detailed they are, but this site has lots of 'Shield' stuff, including episode guides.

Edited by scarletine, Mar 8, 2004 @ 10:32 PM.

Mrs Visnjic I Wish

Mrs Visnjic I Wish

Stalker

Posted Mar 9, 2004 @ 3:18 AM

Thanks, scarletine!

michelec

michelec

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2004 @ 1:59 PM

My roommate was shocked that I would drop Queer Eye for the Straight Guy out of my rotation for "some cop show". Sigh. Some people just don't get it.

It sucks that the Tues 10 p.m. time slot is so crowded. I remember last year I was juggling Queer Eye, Law & Order: SVU, Nip/Tuck, and MI-5…thank God for overnight encore presentations. But yeah, The Shield is definitely on top of the pecking order and as of tonight Queer Eye gets relegated to VCR duty.

I saw the promo where Aceveda does that 180 with Claudette. Uh-oh. Things look to get real ugly.

Bravo71

Bravo71

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 9, 2004 @ 7:04 PM

I, for one, am a little tired of Claudette's sanctimonious attitude. Call me unscrupulous, but I would sleep better at night knowing there was a Vic Mackey walking the beat on my street than a Claudette Wyms.

Claudette's bungling didn't help Jenny Reborg (thanks Vic) or the little girl that Armadillo left his mark on. What "big" cases has she cracked? If she has cracked some, they aren't bigger than Vic's collars.

I really hope someone puts her in her place. Whether its Aceveda or Vic.

See you after the show.

ostrogoth

ostrogoth

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 9, 2004 @ 9:51 PM

I, for one, am a little tired of Claudette's sanctimonious attitude. Call me unscrupulous, but I would sleep better at night knowing there was a Vic Mackey walking the beat on my street than a Claudette Wyms.

WORD. I mean, I respect Claudette, and I'm not usually into law-benders, but the cops' hands are usually so tied in how they can enforce laws and protect the public, that I'd let Vic slide on some things. The thing is, Vic hates criminals and he does care about innocent people and crime victims. I feel like he would protect me. In fact, he and Shane, Lem, and Ronnie can protect me any day!!

I am so excited for three hours from now!

Ultima654

Ultima654

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 9, 2004 @ 10:42 PM

NEW SEASON!!! YAHAHAHAHH!!!!

"Look what the Dutchman found."

Oh, god, I love this show.

Warden

Warden

Stalker

Posted Mar 9, 2004 @ 11:16 PM

I still get a kick out of that. Cletus....Van Damme.

"You gave an alias as the same name you rented the storage space?"

"Well, Lem laughed at it."

I had almost forgotten about delicious feet.

So the money's marked. Nothing is ever as good as it seems. As soon as Acevedo said stop by an ATM, you knew Vic was going to use the money from the train to buy the guns. Can't wait for next week and Mara.