Guiding Light

• Please log in to reply

33292 replies to this topic

mudpiegirl

mudpiegirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 2:17 PM

I am spoiler free (well, 99 percent anyway) but just have to ask this question: have any spoilers mentioned Emma being upset about the possibility of moving out? I know we've all kind of discussed whether Olivia would have told her that part yet, or if Emma is just handling it well, but I want to know if the subject has been addressed officially?

If someone could respond but only relating to this specific spoiler, please... I'm trying to be a good girl.

Caddy720

Caddy720

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 2:19 PM

I hope P&G goes all out for the show before it leaves CBS, mainly I want them to rent a stuido, and stop filming scenes in random empty fields.

As far as what KZ said, I think Reva and Josh fans need to keep in mind that she was at an event with RN, so maybe she was just chatting up the audience. KZ was the one who said that she wouldn't mind the couple reuniting, but that there needs to be a suitable amount of time for Reva to move away from her relationship with Jeffery.

westendgirl29

westendgirl29

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 2:28 PM

have any spoilers mentioned Emma being upset about the possibility of moving out?

Yes, and I believe that played out today (Monday). Not sure if they'll take it farther than what was shown today with Emma telling Liv that she doesn't want to lose Natalia, and that Emma saw Nat crying. [Also, I don't think Emma had a clue what the wedding implicated on Thursday's episode, because she was just too maddeningly happy about Frank and Natalia!].

IMO - Emma's observations/concerns today SHOULD be coupled with a Rafe/Olivia scene in order for Olivia to finally clue in to Nat's unhappiness. That would be excellent.

mudpiegirl

mudpiegirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 2:39 PM

thanks westendgirl29 ... I had no idea that what I was refering to as a spoiler was on tap for today.

By the way, thanks to those who responded to my semi-philosophical question about Otalia and subtext, etc., from Friday I think. I enjoyed your responses and appreciated your insight.

crankybroad

crankybroad

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 2:40 PM

I haven't been off from school (not even a ti-faux) so I read this and some recaps to keep up between holidays. I watched today and I seem to have forgotten a few things:
Where did Henry Cooper Camaletti come from?
What happened between Mallet and Dinah "over there" that makes Mallet think it will cost him the baby?
I liked the scene between Philip and Blake. it was very honest and in keeping with the characters.

crankybroad

crankybroad

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 2:40 PM

Sorry, double post.

Edited by crankybroad, Apr 6, 2009 @ 2:41 PM.

seneca724

seneca724

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 2:52 PM

Shane/Dinah are so hot together, all wrapped up in sheets--not even the weird background music could ruin the scene for me. Dinah is crazy, I couldn't stay away from that man for more than an hour. As much as I like seeing them happy, I'm looking forward to seeing evil Edmund back in fine form. And Mallet seemed overly concerned with Dinah considering he dismissed her from his life a week ago.

What is wrong with these people that they think keeping $1 million dollars in an unlocked shed would be OK. At least Hilda still appreciates the value of a dollar. But gah! I hated Alan today. I need to not read these message boards because when you guys point out things, such as RR tendency to become a caricature, I start to notice and become irritated.

Blake, poor Blake, I felt so sorry for her as she was talking about her crappy real estate and publishing jobs. Now she has to work as a manager for Company?! I could cry for her.

Really liked the mirror scene with Nat/Olivia, and with the way those two are looking at each other, I have a feeling one's about to implode, and I think it's going to be Natalia. I'm not sure if Emma is lying, which she has shown she is more than capable of doing to get her way, or if she really did see Natalia crying. Either way, I find it hard to believe Olivia truly believes Natalia is happy because she has looked completely miserable since her engagement.

Black Knight

Black Knight

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 2:58 PM

I hope P&G goes all out for the show before it leaves CBS, mainly I want them to rent a stuido, and stop filming scenes in random empty fields.

Noooooo! (Heh.) I'm firmly in agreement with what Jeff Branson said recently, the more non-studio stuff, the better. I like the interiors of Company, the Spaulding library, the farmhouse, and Reva's living room, but otherwise, go outdoors.

IMO - Emma's observations/concerns today SHOULD be coupled with a Rafe/Olivia scene in order for Olivia to finally clue in to Nat's unhappiness. That would be excellent.

I think Olivia knows full well Natalia is not entirely thrilled with her engagement. The line in her toast about Frank being everything Natalia thought she wanted kind of indicated that - if she believed Frank were truly it, or that Natalia wasn't suffering some buyer's remorse, she wouldn't have put the "thought" in there. But I think she's torn in her own mind about whether Natalia would truly be happier with her in the long run, given Natalia's religious beliefs, fear of what people will think, and Olivia's propensity to screw up her relationships. (She ran away from Buzz, the other person who offered her unconditional love and support, for that reason - she was convinced she would screw up the marriage and even though he wanted to marry her anyway, she thought he deserved better.) The idea of Otalia ending up as yet another of the incredibly ugly break-ups so familiar to Olivia and the possibility of losing Natalia altogether as a result is hella scary for Olivia to contemplate. And after already interfering once and regretting it, she is back to her original intention of letting Natalia decide what she wants to do with her life. As Sally4th pointed out, she basically let Natalia know the ball is in her court - Olivia doesn't plan to stop the wedding, and nor should she have to, because marrying Frank would be a big mistake on Natalia's part even if the Otalia thing didn't exist. Nat really should find the emotional strength to call off the wedding, but her predecessors in being railroaded into weddings they didn't really want, Julie Camaletti and Tammy Winslow, didn't, so I'm not holding my breath where Natalia is concerned. Either Olivia will have to rescue her or Frank (or someone who can then tell Frank) will have to figure out enough to at least ask Natalia point-blank whether she's in love with Olivia - I don't think Natalia could directly lie about that.

Edited by Black Knight, Apr 6, 2009 @ 3:05 PM.

thinmint23

thinmint23

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 3:10 PM

One of the great things about the necklace scene is how relaxed and sensual Natalia is until Frank shows up and , her demeanor totally changes in the span of a few seconds.

ITA. Also, Natalia seems to seek out situations to touch Olivia or to have Olivia touch her, which is obviously in stark contrast to her recoiling when Frank touches her. The earliest I can recall off of the top of my head is the time surrounding Phillip’s return when she was calming Olivia down by grabbing her wrists and brushing the hair out of her face. Since that time Natalia seems to be taking any chance she can get to touch Olivia. The necklace scene was made even more heartbreaking for me because of that, because she so desperately wanted any contact from Olivia, even just the slightest brush on the cheek. In the scene right before the porch scene, when she and Olivia were cleaning up and held hands briefly, Natalia placed her second hand on top of Olivia’s as if trying desperately to hold on and Olivia pulled away. I don't think that either of them wanted the scene to end where Olivia spilled champagne on Nat.

seneca724 I agree that one of them has to implode soon and that it will be Natalia. I think it has to be Natalia. I guess my question is does Liv have to give her an opportunity to implode like with the kitchen/slept with frank but i don't love him scene? Or will it be just a spontaneous combustion?

ETA:

Nat really should find the emotional strength to call off the wedding, but her predecessors in being railroaded into weddings they didn't really want, Julie Camaletti and Tammy Winslow, didn't, so I'm not holding my breath where Natalia is concerned.

That's not what I want to hear from you, BK. Heh.

Edited by thinmint23, Apr 6, 2009 @ 3:17 PM.

Hail Ming

Hail Ming

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 3:33 PM

That maid got a fat tip. Yay!

Dinah converses with baby. Hee!

Really liked the mirror scene with Nat/Olivia, and with the way those two are looking at each other, I have a feeling one's about to implode, and I think it's going to be Natalia.

Gah, the mirror scene was excruciatingly PAINFUL! It was brilliantly acted torture. The thing that got me about that scene (besides the longing looks) was how silent Olivia was. It's like she daren't speak or she would burst into tears. I think she was actually crying when Nat was trying to thank her. The poor girl seems to be barely hanging on by her fingernails. Ugh, such misery. CC was killing me today and JL just piled on. They both did some incredible eye work. Kudos, ladies.

I'd like to think that Natalia would be the one to implode and actually do *something* besides simpering but, love her though I do, I have no faith in her to save herself. When she stepped out of the changing room, I swear she looked at Olivia like "You're not actually going to let me do this, right? RIGHT?!" It appeared to me that Nat spent the whole time silently begging Liv to save her. I've never seen such a miserable bride to be and she had to see that Olivia is devastated. Yes, I know the reverse is true but it's hard for me to want to smack Liv in the head when she looks like it's all she can do to not vomit up her intestines and jump off the nearest roof. Heh.

maryhartman

maryhartman

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 3:47 PM

CC and JL keep hitting it out of the park; the mirror scene was perfection. Shaynah sex was criminally perfunctory, but today's afterglow more than compensated. GT and JB have chemistry to spare.

The Phillip/Blake scene was effective, but I wanted more. I can't help but recall the days when Blake was a key player. It pains me to see her play second fiddle to deadwood like Marina.

Another complication for GL's beleaguered writers: CBS Soaps in Depth is reporting that Marcy Rylan is expecting her first child this fall.

pmiller5

pmiller5

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 4:11 PM

Marcy is pregnant?! She looks all of 17! Congratulations to her though, I think a Bizzie pregnancy would be a perfect way to end things between those two.

Shaynah afterglow was oh so pretty. I am looking forward to seeing Edmund's breakdown because I think DAM is brilliant. He still looks quite youthful despite the graying hair, and nobody does inner turmoil and anger so well except maybe Vincent Irizarry in his prime. I wish he could stay until the very end. Hook him up with Blake. I hated seeing her play second fiddle to Marina too but a job as a restaurant manager should afford many comic moments. Did Blake attend Coop's funeral? She was his editor wasn't she?

everafter

everafter

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 4:38 PM

GL Spoilers for week of April 13: GUIDING LIGHT: Frank surprised Natalia by arranging to have Rafe released from jail early. Olivia told Natalia her true feelings but encouraged her to marry Frank anyway. Lillian decided to give Buzz a second chance. Edmund lashed out at Shayne over Lara's death. Later, Edmund took baby Colin away from Reva, but Reva appealed to Edmund's good side and got her son back. Lizzie and Bill planned a romantic trip to New York. Natalia left Frank at the altar.

Watch For: Alan has Phillip kidnapped. Olivia accuses Natalia of being ashamed of her feelings.

Hail Ming

Hail Ming

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 4:54 PM

Wow, thanks for the spoilers. Only now I want to marry the week of April 13 and what would God think about that?! *weeps* [/Natalia]

maraleia

maraleia

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 5:53 PM

I think my heart is going to leap out of my body after reading those spoilers. Here is a link to some great interviews with the cast when they were at Universal

http://www.michaelfa...ediaGallery.cfm

Have fun everyone. This show just has to stay on the air.

westendgirl29

westendgirl29

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 6:32 PM

I think Olivia knows full well Natalia is not entirely thrilled with her engagement.

Sometimes I agree with that thought, and other times she walks in on Natalia saying something pod-like to Frank such as "I'm so lucky to be loved by you" [or whatever word salad she tossed together to NOT say she loved him] and the Olivia shuts down. She does know that Natalia doesn't love Frank, she said as much. But I agree - Liv also thinks that Nat is better off with Frank than with her. I wonder how this will play out in their future - that issue will not disappear and could be yet another road block. Such a great storyline, tons of possibilities.....

Thanks for the spoilers. I'm gonna need Buzz's defibrillator...stat!

pmiller5

pmiller5

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 6:56 PM

Thanks for those interviews, maraleia! Zack Conroy is so pretty. I would kill for those lashes. CC and JL's the Advocate outtake was hilarious.

maryhartman

maryhartman

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 7:07 PM

LOVE the CC and JL outtakes . . . Thanks for the link, maraleia.

CBS Sunday Morning acknowledged GL's passing with a sneering two-minute report. Lynn Liccardo is pissed, and so am I.

Time Out New York interview with Frank D., who hasn't given up on GL yet. Whenever Frank C. drives me to distraction (which is pretty much always these days), I keep reminding myself what a sweetheart FD is.

A moderately spoilery article in TV Guide Magazine about the Otalia mega-angst on tap for next week:

http://www.tvguidema...iangle-568.html

Edited by maryhartman, Apr 6, 2009 @ 7:10 PM.

LoveTeeVee

LoveTeeVee

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 7:11 PM

OMG! Those outtakes are hilarious! And sad at the same time knowing that they had no idea of GL's impending cancellation :(

maraleia

maraleia

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 7:23 PM

Your welcome everyone! You should all go to the Advocate site and post a comment about those Otalia CC & JL interview clips. The video is right on the front page. It might help keep the show on the air to have exposure outside of soap mags right now.

bigredcat7

bigredcat7

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 7:26 PM

OMG! Those outtakes are hilarious! And sad at the same time knowing that they had no idea of GL's impending cancellation :(

Give CC and JL a microphone and get out of the way. They are funny. I want to know more about the cinnamon in the coffee now.

mudpiegirl

mudpiegirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 7:36 PM

Beautiful scenes today, but gosh is this killing me. Yes, Natalia needs to come to her senses, but does Olivia have to be so friggin' helpful these days!?!

At this rate, if there is a wedding, I expect her to drive the limo, be both best man and maid of honor, comp them a room at the Beacon for the wedding night and turn the sheets down herself.

Stop it! Listen to Emma... Natalia's not happy.

Trying desperately not to read those spoilers for next week. Must not look.

Edited by mudpiegirl, Apr 6, 2009 @ 7:36 PM.

jen419

jen419

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 7:46 PM

Trying desperately not to read those spoilers for next week. Must not look.

Stay strong. Trust me. The pay off will definitely be worth it!

Edited by jen419, Apr 6, 2009 @ 7:47 PM.

sindy

sindy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 9:18 PM

Oh my freaky Lord! That's all I can say about the spoilers.

The Otalia angst is seriously damaging my health and work productivity! They better have mind-blowing, earth-shattering make-up sex after this ordeal.

Edited by sindy, Apr 6, 2009 @ 9:19 PM.

The Golden AN

The Golden AN

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 9:34 PM

Natalia is clearly not thrilled when Olivia said she was going to help plan the wedding. To me it looks like these are all happening too fast too soon for her plus she didn't count on Olivia to be all this involved and pushing it to take place sooner. I think that if it was someone else offering their services to plan the wedding she would've said no, but since it was Olivia, she doesn't have the heart.

Again, the angst are off the charts specially at the bridal shop scene. I don't know how Olivia can still muddle through and even be in the frontline without going amok, preferably on Frank. Look at her face before Natalia comes out of the changing room. She didn't tell Natalia to come out right away. She had to brace herself first by closing her eyes, taking a breath and then resignedly bowing her head.

Gah, the mirror scene was excruciatingly PAINFUL! It was brilliantly acted torture. The thing that got me about that scene (besides the longing looks) was how silent Olivia was. It's like she daren't speak or she would burst into tears. I think she was actually crying when Nat was trying to thank her. The poor girl seems to be barely hanging on by her fingernails.

ITA. Any word out of her would have opened up the floodgates. Just look at the pain and longing in her eyes. Then she had to lovingly pull up Natalia's wrap and place it properly around her shoulders. Damn. I would so like to see Rafe have a talk with Natalia and ask her upfront if she is happy and if she loves Frank. I don't think anyone has asked her those questions yet. And since Rafe has always said he wants her to live her life and be happy, it would be fitting that Rafe would be the one to help her realize the mistake she's about to make.

This is the second time I've seen a badly shot love scene. The first one was with Marina and Mallet. Ugh. That left a horrible imprint in my brain. The angle and lighting was just terrible. The second was the Shayne and Dinah scene. It's not as bad as the first since it was saved by the hotness of Shayne and Dinah together but there is a pattern there. I'm not sure if this is how love scenes for soaps are usually filmed since this is the first time I'm followed a soap opera. But it doesn't give me much to hope for in terms of cinematography when Otalia finally cross that line.

I can't believe Allan just unceremoniously dropped the money on the dinner table. The dinner table! Hey-oh! That money came from a very unhygienic place.

jen419

jen419

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 9:37 PM

I can't believe Allan just unceremoniously dropped the money on the dinner table. The dinner table! Hey-oh! That money came from a very unhygienic place.

Jonathan, and his pyromanic tendencies, need to return to set that dining room table aflame again.

DioxinBlues

DioxinBlues

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 10:52 PM

Really? I'm supposed to function for the rest of the week after having read all of these soilers? Faaaaahck... Well, the "Guiding Light" PR department did a fine job of hooking me during what appears to be a slow Otalia week because what I just read has hyped up the anticipation levels to Defcon 5. I've already blown off a ton of stuff, my place is a mess (which, okay, may not be entirely to do w/Otalia but still) and my friends are wondering where the heck I've vanished and that was before -- going into black bar heaven -- the "Liv confesses all...Natalia leaves Frank at the alter..." spoils came out. Now? I'm toast. Four tabs open and all are on Otalia-related pages. Sweet Mother of Mercy. Maybe GL getting cancelled is God's way of saying "Get off your ass and get back to work!"

What really blows my mind about the spoilage is how the heck did they put together a wedding that fast?! And why? God knows Natalia isn't exactly a willing passenger on the matrimonial express train so why agree to this when every mention of anything to do with the ceremony makes her wanna hurl? I do not understand, even for Zombie Nat. Or for the story pacing, at least from a pre-cancellation standpoint. Post cancellation? Awesome! There's waaaay too much ground to cover from now until Sept. 18th for them to take their foot off the gas.

As far as leaving Frank at the altar, I have to believe Natalia is going to get hit with a serious backlash from the non-Otaliaholics out there (of which there are a couple, hard as it is to believe), especially the ones who think Frank's dreamy and Nat should marry him. Honestly, if I'm worried about Frank and his romantic reputation (which, let's face it, wasn't all that hot to begin with as evidenced by Remy's hysterical laughter at the thought of Nat sleeping with the Coopster) then I can only imagine how intense it's going to be from other pro-Fratalia and/or anti-Otalia fans. The writers are going to have to thread a pretty thin needle to make these spoily events romantic for the Liv/Nat lovers (really not too hard) while still saving some semblence of Natalia's reputation after she inadvertently thrashes Frank's (soooo much harder). I mean, it's pretty awful to get left at the altar by the woman you're crazy about -- and I mean crazy; those eyes! Yikes! -- in front of your family and friends. Now toss in "oh, and she's leaving you for the Maid of Honor" and Frank is lucky if he ever gets laid again. Even with pity sex.

Okay, emerging from the black hole to say the Michael Fairman clips were hilarious. Screw GL; these two need to take their show on the road. Just give 'em a microphone, hide the teleprompter, add a little cinnamon in their coffee and sit back.

Today's show was good. Pieces being set into place and time for some excellent couples' chemistry. Bizzie are just flat out adorable. I've gone back to watch some of their clips, particularly through the Baby Max stuff, and I think I heart them a ton. They're not as sexy as Shayne and Dinah -- who are just smokin' -- but they bring the light and flirty balance to the show that is entirely welcome. Also adorable? Emma. Boy did casting strike gold with this kid. I am not one who likes child actors all that much but I think Jacqueline Tsirkin is outstanding. She has to pull off some rather adult material -- her observations about Natalia today could have so easily felt precocious and forced but they felt entirely natural. If GL is lucky enough to continue, I have every reason to believe that years from now Emma Spencer will be the head of Spaulding Enterprises and quite the little powerhouse, just like her Mamma O...but really sweet about the whole thing and only uses her powers for good...just like her Mamma N.

Edited by DioxinBlues, Apr 6, 2009 @ 10:54 PM.

regis

regis

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 10:58 PM

The outtake video is funny. But Crystal isn't wrong....the website really is "advocate.com". "theadvocate.com" takes you to a very different place.

Emma was cute today. Of course she was. I love how non-precocious Jacqueline Tsirkin is.

But come on, Olivia, get a clue! You too, Natalia!. It's frustrating how clueless both women are with each other, considering how well they know each other. So I think it's not so clueless, they MUST know how each other feels, they're just scared. I just don't get a good sense of how Natalia interprets Olivia's behavior and how Olivia interprets Natalia's behavior.

Edited by regis, Apr 7, 2009 @ 8:59 AM.

pinkpoppies

pinkpoppies

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 11:36 PM

IDK, I thought that the scenes between Phillip and Blake today were weakly acted somehow. But I loved the scenes between him and Alan alone at the dinner table where Phillip says "Money really does grow on trees here", or something like that.
And Edmund's acting was superb when he was processing what Shane told him about causing Lara's death. He just stood there, not saying a word, his face turning to stone...looking utterly mortified! I'm not even a fan of Edmund, but that was talented!

What a shame about the news of GL's upcoming cancellation. It's been the only constant thing in my life through my many changes, relocations, jobs and losses, businesses coming and going, nothing staying the same...it was a bit of stability in otherwise uncertain times. Just when the show has improved from its abyss a few years back and they got GA back. :(

regis

regis

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 11:39 PM

I've been watching early early GL clips. Just saw one with Olivia and Edmund in San Cristobal at Olivia/Richard surprise engagement party. What a different world that was! What the heck with Edmund's accent? Some kind of British accent. Weird. So why is it gone now?