Guiding Light

• Please log in to reply

33292 replies to this topic

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 11:25 PM

A friend forwarded me a link to the announcement, saying (aware of my intense dislike of Reva), "I assume you'll be skipping this one." Yes, indeed, unless I find out one of the episodes happens to contain great scenes with characters I do like.

I think they should cease including entire episodes and instead package compilations that exclusively feature certain characters, couples, storylines, etc. Like the old Roger Thorpe: The Scandal Years (and Reva: Whatever) tapes P&G released back in the day.

Edited by Bastet Esq, Feb 10, 2012 @ 11:26 PM.

Spazzo47

Spazzo47

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 12:06 AM

I could totally watch the whole Ross Senate Campaign/Bloss startup story and Maureen's death. I've actually rewatched them on YT and they hold up really well

zombygirl

zombygirl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 12:19 AM

oh, dear god. Nola looks like a ridiculous loveseat at that masked ball in the streaming ep. Wow, bad. Also, Vanessa's acting is awful.

Jac Lauren

Jac Lauren

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 4:05 AM

The "slut of Springfield" scene never did for me what it did for most fans...

Me either, I watched it on YT, having being all of two years old when it originally screened and well my main reaction was ROFLAMO. I've never been a fan of KZ's acting, I prefer the more subtle work of MG and MZ to KZ's constant onslaught of heightened emotion.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't think that scene if the greatest in all of daytime history.

Imagine if Reva told Marah that she didn't love her, there would have been all kinds of over the top dramatics, tears and ridiculous facial expressions, when Holly told Blake she didn't love her it was so subtly done with MG doing most of the acting with her voice, spitting venom, you didn't need all the tears and the OTT facial expressions and the shouting to make the point.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 5:25 AM

I think Zimmer was more than capable of subtle moments, she just relied too much on tears or tantrums. I think when someone else around her is OTT, she calms down (Cynthia Watros, Justin Deas). She also had some quiet, nice moments with the kids when they were played by people who could act (Billy Kay, Kimberly Brown, Laura Bell Bundy). Melodrama is a part of soaps, but melodrama was something not written into Holly for many years, as it was with Reva. When it was, MG also became hammy. Ironically that was probably during one of Zimmer's more subtle periods (late 90's/early 00's).

I must say I don't care for most of the choices on the DVD, and as someone who liked Reva more than most, I probably wouldn't have chosen them. But then, I couldn't stand all the yelling with Jonathan, so I'm biased. He was very popular, so if that helps DVD sales, I'm glad.

I really wish they'd chosen something around the time her wedding to Kyle ended in disaster and she wandered around in a daze. I think that was some quiet, painstaked work from her.

I think they should cease including entire episodes and instead package compilations that exclusively feature certain characters, couples, storylines, etc. Like the old Roger Thorpe: The Scandal Years (and Reva: Whatever) tapes P&G released back in the day.

I prefer episodes, because a lot of that has never been seen. The compilations are often full of stuff which is already all over Youtube.

Edited by steve91199, Feb 11, 2012 @ 5:26 AM.

Jac Lauren

Jac Lauren

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 8:02 AM

I think that a lot of the stuff written for MG pre Holly's character assassination which started with the Nursery Rhyme Stalker/Pied Piper of Springfield crap had the potential to become extremely melodramatic, eg. Holly finding out about Bloss, finding out Meg was going to be a Down's baby, any number of the conversations regarding Roger's rape of Holly, the rape itself but they didn't because MG was more capable of playing it subtly.

That said I'm probably a little harsh on Zimmer, its just that my personal preference leans towards those actors who don't immediately go for the melodramatics, tears and tantrums, in addition to MG and MZ on GL I also love, love, love Nancy Lee Grahn, who is pretty much the only reason I persist with watching GH and I'd put her in the same category of being able to play a broad range of emotion well.

As for MG hamming it up during the Nursery Rhyme Stalker/Pied Piper of SF SL, who can blame her? She was given virtually no notice that it was going to be Holly that was the stalker and in those circumstances why not play it for melodrama, I imagine it was pretty fun.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 2:04 PM

As for MG hamming it up during the Nursery Rhyme Stalker/Pied Piper of SF SL, who can blame her? She was given virtually no notice that it was going to be Holly that was the stalker and in those circumstances why not play it for melodrama, I imagine it was pretty fun.

She was very hammy for some time before that - all the drinking and such. I think everything after Fletcher left with Meg. I don't blame her, I just think it was ridiculous material which she played in a ridiculous way. It's probably all you could do. Similar to the death wail when they pulled off Roger's mask after he crashed Blake and Phillip's wedding.

Holly finding out about Bloss, finding out Meg was going to be a Down's baby, any number of the conversations regarding Roger's rape of Holly, the rape itself but they didn't because MG was more capable of playing it subtly.

I think the era of the rape was a very subtle era for the show. From the few Dobsons-era episodes I've seen, everything is subdued. I think when Marland, and especially Pam Long and Gail Kobe, came in, the show became more histrionic. JFP's era is also relatively subdued, aside from the awful hamming of Justin Deas. Those were the two eras Maureen really had the chance to shine in.

I'd rather watch Maureen Garrett than Kim Zimmer, I just think Zimmer's capable of quiet moments, which she isn't remembered for, because Reva was always hooting and hollering, red dress, and so on. Even at the end, there were some moments I thought she had that brief, quiet pain in, like when she went to Vanessa's wedding planning not long after Jeffrey had "died."

jetty

jetty

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2012 @ 9:29 PM

I really wish they'd chosen something around the time her wedding to Kyle ended in disaster and she wandered around in a daze. I think that was some quiet, painstaked work from her.

Yes, and her attempted suicide by "falling" off the bridge (after doffing her fur coat and clad only in a teddy while snow fell) while Kyle married Maeve, those were very moving scenes and understated work from Zimmer, but still very dramatic and watchable.

Jac Lauren

Jac Lauren

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 14, 2012 @ 1:02 AM

I prefer episodes, because a lot of that has never been seen. The compilations are often full of stuff which is already all over Youtube.

I agree. Especially since as everyone may have already gathered from my three posts I'm a huge Roger and Holly fangirl. Having full episodes reminds you of other SL's that were great but haven't quite stuck in the mind the same way Roger and Holly's or Josh or Reva's or whoever else you really likes SL's have.

Also the nature of compilations means that you miss a lot of the smaller moments in a SL, the ones that aren't essential to understanding whats going on but are often really nice, quieter moments between characters.

I would however really appreciate some form of commentary/interviews in relation to key SL's. that is one advantage of the compilations released in the early-mid 90s.

Edited by Jac Lauren, Feb 14, 2012 @ 1:07 AM.

Spazzo47

Spazzo47

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2012 @ 2:09 AM

I guess full episodes would be a good reminder of the other stories going on, but, if you weren't watching back then, they are meaningless. I can find out information about Reva baptizing herself the Slut of Springfield and get a sense of how big that moment was. But the other stories going at that time are going to be harder to understand.

TDI Ashley

TDI Ashley

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 15, 2012 @ 2:17 PM

Interesting news about the former (and final) Ben Reade.

Edited by TDI Ashley, Feb 15, 2012 @ 2:18 PM.

zombygirl

zombygirl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2012 @ 11:28 PM

I'm shocked, SHOCKED! Ha!

/sarcasm

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 7:46 PM

More episodes being released. It's 5 episodes starring Phillip Spaulding. Complete list. What really makes me happy with this is they are including a 1977 episode, and I don't think I have seen it on Youtube or anywhere.

Free episode, set at the time of the 1983 prom.

RoseVioletDaisy

RoseVioletDaisy

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 4:19 PM

The newest DVD set features ten episodes of the Bauer Family. There are 5 Bauer BBQs, 2 episodes from the '70's, and 3 from the '80's, including the episode from '84 where Bert, following her leg amputation, counsels a self-pitying Josh about his paralysis.
http://www.soapclass...hp/bf-page.html

The free streaming episode is Rick & Meredith's November 1988 wedding day, which has a few great pre-wedding scenes between Rick & Mindy.
http://www.soapclass...ne-episode.html

hypnotoad16

hypnotoad16

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 7:19 PM

I had forgotten these dvds were available, so I wanted to thank you guys for the reminder! I ordered the 20 classic episodes dvds and unfortunately today I received the As the World Turns ones instead! Sigh. Hopefully this will get fixed soon.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 4:52 PM

Final 10 episodes now out on DVD.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 1:17 AM

November 25, 1996 free episode. I remember how happy I was when Meta arrived and how I thought this might revive the Bauer family from just Rick and miscast, boring Michelle. Didn't happen, but I loved Meta anyway.

This was also the death of Sarah, which was a mistake, as Kim Zimmer said at the time. And this leads to the maddening "find him (oops...her) for me Reva" saga.

I had forgotten they were still using that "rock" theme for GL at this time.

I can't believe they still had poor Roxie in a mental institution years later.

Edited by steve91199, May 20, 2012 @ 1:18 AM.

DimSome

DimSome

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 7:41 AM

Thanks for posting the video, steve91199. I recall seeing it the first time it aired. Unfortunately, this was around the time I began switching the show off more frequently. I found GL in '92 during the blackout, and I LOVED it. Then Reva came back (as a ghost and wasn't she Amish for awhile?) and totally ate the show, and it lost a lot of its luster, IMO. Not to mention how much I hated that whole Blake's-twins-have-two-daddies! storyline. The best part about this episode was watching the beginnings of Annie Dutton's epic flameout. I can't say I dislike Reva, but when I look back, I don't recall ever rooting for her. I always rooted for her nemesis, futile though it was.

Watching nurse Annie run around with a dead fetus inside her was harrowing and so bizarre. If that storyline makes it into the DVD releases, I'm so buying it.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 8:25 AM

This is around the time I started up again - I had quit for a while because I just could not take any more of Dinah, and the other stories were stupid or offensive or both (at the time I actually thought Blake's pregnancy story was the most entertaining of the group - that tells you something).

I had forgotten about just how fake the Josh/Annie "dream house" looked, clearly just a big set. I can't imagine anyone ever living there.

At first I was annoyed when Annie went nuts, because I thought it was lazy, and she was just so obviously crazy but no one noticed, and Fern got on my last nerve. But it really did pick up steam as it went along, especially when she started pretending to be Reva's sister.

You can see how quickly and awkwardly they were trying to dump the Phillip/Annie story.

I had mixed feelings when they undid Rick being Kevin's father. I think there was a lot of lost story potential, but then again, they got zero story, aside from some tension between Rick/Phillip, out of Rick and Harley having a child.

Edited by steve91199, May 20, 2012 @ 8:26 AM.

DimSome

DimSome

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 9:32 AM

At first I was annoyed when Annie went nuts, because I thought it was lazy, and she was just so obviously crazy but no one noticed, and Fern got on my last nerve. But it really did pick up steam as it went along, especially when she started pretending to be Reva's sister.

I think I know what you mean. But I don't mind a little crazy, especially when it's performed well. Annie was just so bland until her meltdown that I can barely remember her before this storyline. Reva's return and interference with Josh definitely gave Cynthia Watros something to do. I actually ran home during much of that storyline to see what she'd do next to keep Josh. For me, though, it was more about seeing Annie attempt to best Reva. Looking back, I wish Annie hadn't needed to be looney to try to knock Reva off her high horse.

I think another reason this show took a downturn for me was Phillip (which probably belongs in the Unpopular Opinions thread). Whenever Grant Alexander returned, he was the show's male lead, but I never once cared about him. I cared more about Rick Hearst's Alan-Michael and even dull-but-well-meaning Frank. I grew tired of watching Phillip's chemistry-free (IMO) romances with half the ladies in town while poor Rick played sad sack and got his bestie's leftovers.

I turned the show off in 1998 and didn't return to it until about 2006 when I discovered Jonathan. Yep, I likes me some ham and cheese.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 9:54 AM

I thought Annie's stories were kind of ridiculous (like the hidden marriage to Rick) for a while, but CW did shine when they started the pill addiction. I always liked Reva, in spite of many, many, many bad stories (I did start to lose interest around the time of San Cristobel and when she was a talk show host), and was happy she wasn't with Josh, as I thought he was a prick. The whole crazy Annie story worked so well after a while because you could enjoy Annie even if you didn't hate Reva. There was a "what will she do next?" desperation. She even gave RR's Alan a pulse.

I think another reason this show took a downturn for me was Phillip (which probably belongs in the Unpopular Opinions thread). Whenever Grant Alexander returned, he was the show's male lead, but I never once cared about him. I cared more about Rick Hearst's Alan-Michael and even dull-but-well-meaning Frank. I grew tired of watching Phillip's chemistry-free (IMO) romances with half the ladies in town while poor Rick played sad sack and got his bestie's leftovers.

I felt the same way at the time. I just thought he was dour, and self-righteous, and he and Harley were usually so miserable together. I hated the relationship because Harley had at one time been a much more fun character. I also never saw chemistry between Phillip and BC's Beth.

I don't mind him as much now, mostly because I enjoyed his 2009 return, and it's all such a long time ago, but I hated him at that time.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

I thought Annie's stories were kind of ridiculous (like the hidden marriage to Rick) for a while, but CW did shine when they started the pill addiction.

While the story may have been ridiculous but I actually liked Rick and Annie together. They had some pretty good scenes and I wanted them paired.

But that was probably the only time I really felt her before she started going crazy. I know many people liked Josh and Annie and were mad that they went the crazy route with her, which I understand, but CW did such a fantastic job that I'm glad they went that way. The writers also added some intriguing twists in that long ordeal.

smiley13

smiley13

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 4:00 PM

Cynthia Watros as Annie was pure soap opera magic! She was amazing to watch. I can remember rushing home after work to watch my recording as soon as I could. The day she threw herself down the stairs to make it look like Reva caused her miscarriage was all kinds of awesome.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

I was mostly distracted by Rick's awful hair at this time (the slicked back look), but I thought they had some chemistry. I really wanted him with Abby so that was where my main interest was. I wish the show had done more with Abby.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Jul 11, 2012 @ 1:49 PM

Another classic episode, from 1984.

Neka

Neka

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 12:49 PM

I know it's been a while since anyone has posted here.

I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on why the firing/killing of Maureen Bauer was such a major event. (Per JFP saying in a recent interview on TV Guide magazine that this was the biggest mistake of her career.)

Edited by Neka, Sep 4, 2012 @ 12:49 PM.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 1:00 PM

To many viewers, she was the heart of the show, even though they probably wouldn't have identified her that way until she was gone. She was more of an Everywoman than a lot of the characters - Ed's wife, Michelle's mother, sounding board to all, a generic assistant job at Spaulding, not a size two - who hadn't been involved in a dramatic storyline in years and thus seemed expendable. Almost everyone in town was connected to her and loved her, so killing her off would be a Big Moment with far-reaching repercussions. And it was. (And it gave us the Holly/Michelle storyline, so I'll never hate it.) But once the dust settled, there was something missing. The character didn't much register with focus groups, but her absence loomed large. Jill Farren-Phelps took a lot of flak for it, so I'm not surprised to hear her say that.

Edited by Bastet Esq, Sep 4, 2012 @ 1:01 PM.

Neka

Neka

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 4:51 PM

That's interesting!

Thanks for the info.

hypnotoad16

hypnotoad16

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 7:49 PM

To many viewers, she was the heart of the show, even though they probably wouldn't have identified her that way until she was gone.

That was me! I didn't realize how important Maureen was to the show until she was gone. I mean I knew the actress was good, but overall Maureen didn't seem all that interesting and I didn't understand why the soap press and so forth made such a big deal over her death.

But it was a huge loss and it was quite noticeable shortly after she was gone. She was the character all others went to for guidance, shoot even Roger Thorpe had a friend in Maureen!

jetty

jetty

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2012 @ 12:05 AM

he was the character all others went to for guidance, shoot even Roger Thorpe had a friend in Maureen!

Exactly, her loss was really catastrophic to the show. The soaps need a moral compass, someone compassionate and kind, and Maureen really was GL's heart. Her acting was so natural and instinctive, she didn't even seem to be acting. But of course, the Ed & Lillian affair allowed some scenes of real dramatic fire from Maureen.

I think the loss of these sort of tentpole characters is a loss to the entire genre. Does GH or DAYS even have this kind of character, the kind, moral compass who keeps certain characters in check? I know Y&R and B&B doesn't have that kind of character anymore.