Guiding Light

• Please log in to reply

33292 replies to this topic

LisaM

LisaM

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 9:50 AM

dc cubs , thanks for bringing over the NYPost article. The author seems to really have been a fan of the show and hit many of the highlights. Good stuff.

QuakerOats

QuakerOats

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 12:51 PM

Too bad I didnt know about the CBS Early Show. In case they update their site, it would be here. There are other videos up there as well. (set visits, etc)

Photoshop has not been their forte in cast pictures.

Edited by QuakerOats, Sep 13, 2009 @ 1:15 PM.

LisaM

LisaM

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 1:31 PM

I have not seen the CBS Early Morning show yet but friends on Twitter reported that it was filled with corporate doublespeak about how nobody watches soaps anymore, etc... as justification for canceling GL. Apparently it sounded just like a CBS press release.

sharp

sharp

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 1:53 PM

Photoshop has not been their forte in cast pictures.

I was told the reason that Justin Deas wasn't in this years pic is because he doesn't do publicity shots. Funny he is in that one.

Edited by sharp, Sep 13, 2009 @ 1:54 PM.

AnoushkaNYC

AnoushkaNYC

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 2:19 PM

Maybe it's been said before but I always have deja vu when I see CC onscreen and I finally figured out why, she reminds me of Amy Brenneman, looks and voice. Of course, CC always plays a goddess and Amy is more girl next door.

mtngirl50

mtngirl50

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 3:29 PM

Great scene, I cringe at the thought of KZ playing that scene instead. Also the clip of Annie fantasizing about all the men in Springfield desiring Reva wasn't too farfetched from the way GL is written.

That's what started me turning the channel with GL. It became "Guiding Light! Starring Kim Zimmer, co-starring Kim Zimmer and featuring Kim Zimmer! With occasional appearances by whoever else is in the cast." There was a news report when it was announced the show would be cancelled and they interviewed KZ. And the report introduced her as the heart and soul of GL for the past 30 years. Really? She was? No, not to me.

Loved, loved, loved watching Annie back in the day. She was so good at being so bad.

Marlies

Marlies

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 3:52 PM

Anyone see the GL piece on CBS Sunday morning? Got a call just when it started and missed it. ;-(

I saw it. I twas pretty good and I was pleasantly surprised by it.

Here is the youtube link http://www.youtube.c...KOQ&feature=sub

maiseybeehave

maiseybeehave

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 3:55 PM

First time poster, long time lurker, even longer time viewer (30+/- years off and on)… so many things to say such little time. Let me start with this: When Jonathan, Reva & Sarah were driving up to Lizzie & Bill’s, it reminded me of the scene in A Color Purple where Whoopie Goldberg is sipping a drink (I think) on the porch, and someone drives up and she says ‘oh, we have visitors’ and she puts on her glasses and it’s her sister and her children from Africa… I got the same vibe. And although Marcy Ryland is no Whoopie Goldberg, I still teared up. And then I snorted.

ocean1blue

ocean1blue

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 4:48 PM

Now that I have watched all the latest shows for the umpteenth time, it struck me how nice it was to see Olivia and Nat kidding around with each other again. Everything has been so angst filled and tense between the two of them lately, that it was a relief when we got the "I knew you would think this was a good idea." And "Screw time and space." from Nat. And then in the hotel room when Nat said she always knew what she wanted and Olivia said, "You did not." I hope this playfulness between them continues, and the tone will be happier from now on. I missed it.

Niuxita

Niuxita

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 4:48 PM

Not much, but spoilers from Soapcentral:

Guiding Light airs its final episode on September 18.

Billy and Vanessa's wedding day arrives and Springfield celebrates!

Frank goes online to invite mystery woman (Blake) to the wedding.

Blake unwittingly has to turn Frank down online since she is going to the wedding herself.

Frank takes this as a rejection. Doris introduces her girlfriend to Ashlee. Bridget and Nola arrive in Springfield for the wedding.

Dylan returns to see Billy and Vanessa tie the knot.

Before the wedding, Buzz proposes to Lillian!

Billy and Vanessa learn about Buzz's proposal.

Billy insist that Buzz and Lillian share their special day and have a double wedding!

Lillian goes to Maureen Bauer's (Ed's late wife who Lillian had an affair with in 1993 which led to Maureen's death) grave to ask her permission at happiness.

Vanessa and Lillian share a special moment talking about their friend Maureen.

Word spreads of the double ceremony and Springfield rushes to wish them well.

As the couples say their vows and everyone cheers as the couple's share a first married kiss.

Ed tells Alan that he is doing well enough to go home.

Phillip asks Beth to be his date at Billy and Vanessa's wedding.

Springfield residents get quite a shock.

Jonathan confronts Alan, telling him that he still doesn't trust him regarding Sarah.

Alan assures Jonathan that he's a changed man since Jonathan saw him last.

Josh talks about moving from Springfield.

Lizzie's wish is granted.

Rick and Ed get a Bauer surprise.

Jeffrey threatens Edmund.

Will Jeffrey be able to return to Reva and Colin?

Rafe prepares to leave for the army.

I'm cracking up at "(Ed's late wife who Lillian had an affair with in 1993 which led to Maureen's death)" Obviously (I'm assuming), Lillian had an affair with Ed, not Maureen but damn if that didn't make me do a double take. What a difference a misplaced pronoun makes.

Edited by Niuxita, Sep 13, 2009 @ 4:50 PM.

Rocktoddy

Rocktoddy

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 5:14 PM

As one of the last CC Sunday admissions (sure am gonna miss 'em *sniffle*) whilst Guiding Light is still on the air: Crystal Chappell "Hottest Female Star" SOD Award.

Dang CC rocks a suit like no other. So much class, now and then. And that voice! Those eyebrows, them lips... hm-mmm. [/fangirl mode off]

Also on another Oh. My. God!-note: This? I knew times were bad, but when the IKEA curtains got pulled back, seeing the BTS reality of the new production model still shocked the hell out of me. The ending of that segment was very bittersweet though; to see everyone, cast, crew and probably writers too, on that field in front of the FoL... SIGH.

... anyway, FU very much CBS. On behalf of long-life viewers like 89yo Audrey to Otalianewbies alike. Fuck you.

P.s: I'm still flabbergasted by Thursday's show even after *mumble* viewings. I suspect the white-washed Twilight Zone-y (wtf?Rafe) vibe will have me pondering its significance for years to come. Or at least until the next rushrush-beepbeep ep... Five more to go!

edited for rectification. It wasn't an Emmy award, duh, but a Soap Opera Digest award.

Edited by Rocktoddy, Sep 29, 2009 @ 12:48 PM.

Reelbear

Reelbear

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 5:19 PM

I saw it. I twas pretty good and I was pleasantly surprised by it.

Here is the youtube link http://www.youtube.c...KOQ&feature=sub

Aside from some of the interviews, this clip actually would have been quite fitting for the Emmy "tribute".

I am not surprised that Otalia is not mentioned--though it was interesting to see Olivia with both Josh and Phillip--and I would not be surprised if they're brushed over during the CBS piece tonight, especially if CBS, indeed, was the root of the censoring. It sort of makes sense that news outlets are focusing on Josh and Reva and the longer running actors. Josh and Reva is really the shows only major super couple in history (I'm sure there are more, but probably wouldn't be included in a top 5 or even 10 list), and even actors like Crystal Chappell signed on when the soap industry was losing steam. Aside from Otalia, Crystal really hasn't had a major storyline that would make headlines.

prican58

prican58

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 6:11 PM

Federer wins in 3 sets. 60 Minutes will be late but not too late. Yay!

QuakerOats

QuakerOats

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 6:49 PM

Re: Doris & her lady Someone suggested that perhaps it was the bartender that Olivia rain into and upon hearing of Natalia and their backstory, called her a heartbreaker. Someone asked Orlagh: @orlaghcassidy I hear we see Doris' girlfriend on Monday, anyone we know? and she responded - @doodle79 you may recognize her if you were paying attention. So are there other women who have been identified as gay in the show?

Edited by QuakerOats, Sep 13, 2009 @ 6:51 PM.

lbrandl

lbrandl

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 6:58 PM

QuakerOats - I thinking it's either the "heartbreaker" bartender from Farley's or the red-headed bartender from the blackmail episode.

bigredcat7

bigredcat7

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 7:00 PM

Olivia also watched Doris flirt with and slip a very generous tip to the bartender at Towers. That girl was really young, though. I'd bet it is the ladies' night bartender.

DioxinBlues

DioxinBlues

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 7:01 PM

QuakerOats: Re: Doris & her lady Someone suggested that perhaps it was the bartender that Olivia rain into and upon hearing of Natalia and their backstory, called her a heartbreaker. Someone asked Orlagh: @orlaghcassidy I hear we see Doris' girlfriend on Monday, anyone we know? and she responded - @doodle79 you may recognize her if you were paying attention. So are there other women who have been identified as gay in the show?

There's always the bartender from Towers that Doris tipped the $20 on the 3/16 episode. I always thought they shared a particularly meaningful glance during the exchange, which, if true, score Mayor Wolfe! She's a cutie. Though it still feels like the show is desperately trying to play Noah's Ark in the final eps by pairing up everyone possible, except, of course, Reva and Josh, which is just bullshit.

Niuxita

Niuxita

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 7:25 PM

Just watched the CBS News special on GL that aired this morning. Is it wrong that I kind of love KZ for saying "from whence I came"? Sophisticated language is the way to my writerly heart, it seems.

AnoushkaNYC

AnoushkaNYC

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 7:26 PM

Is there any doubt left now that CBS was responsible for keeping Otalia behind the scenes? They did the same thing in the 60 minutes segment. No CC interview, if they mentioned Otalia, I missed it. The only Otalia scene I saw was Olivia and Natalia walking down a staircase during a mention of single moms. Do they really think Otalia is a secret?

As a Robert Newman fan, I am glad they focused more on Josh than Reva but I'm shocked. Sadly, more shocked about that then the previous.

Edited by AnoushkaNYC, Sep 13, 2009 @ 7:27 PM.

efitall

efitall

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 7:33 PM

Do they really think Otalia is a secret? - AnoushkaNYC

GL's got a small audience, and yes, there are probably viewers of 60 minutes who are completely unaware of Olivia/Natalia. So, yeah, I can see them trying to keep them on the down-low. I was really hoping that since they worded it as a special that it would take up the whole show, but a segment is longer than the GL tribute in the Emmys, so I'll take what I can.

cem

cem

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 7:38 PM

I think Otalia fans have overestimated how important the couple is to the history of the show. Every actor featured in the 60 Minutes piece has been on the show for 15+ years. The Otalia storyline represented 2 years of a show that lasted almost three quarters of a century. Honestly I wouldn't rank Otalia in my top ten Guiding Light couples. They never did really anything because the write for this show has been horrible the last five years.

Edited by cem, Sep 13, 2009 @ 7:40 PM.

Marlies

Marlies

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 7:40 PM

I haven't watched the 60 minutes special but I never thought that a new couple like Otalia would be featured. Maybe other newish couple were featured I don't know, but I'm guessing they featured the history of GL and I for one is grateful for that.
I'm not a longtime viewer (10 years) and my favorite couples and characters probably are the newer ones but I wouldn't dream of them being featured in a tribute to GL.

bigredcat7

bigredcat7

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 7:44 PM

cem: I think Otalia fans have overestimated how important the couple is to the history of the show. Every actor featured in the 60 Minutes piece has been on the show for 15+ years. The Otalia storyline represented 2 years of a show that lasted almost three quarters of a century. Honestly wouldn't rank Otalia in my top ten Guiding Light couples. They never did really anything because the write for this show has been horrible the last five years.

I don't know where I would rank Otalia in the history of GL, but it certainly has been one of the most publicized stories in any soap this year. The story told through June was a beautiful one. Unfortunately, it fell prey to poor writing as the show limped toward the resolution of all stories.

My five favorite stories in my 26 years of watching GL were, in no order, Lujack/Beth, Sonni/Solita, the Four Musketeers, Roger/Holly and Otalia.

Edited by bigredcat7, Sep 13, 2009 @ 7:53 PM.

SimoneS

SimoneS

Stalker

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 7:46 PM

I can't imagine that CBS news division has a clue about Olivia and Natalia any more than they know anything about Mallet and Marina. These new couples are drops in the bucket in GL's history. The wider audience watching 60 Minutes that has any familiarity with GL know Josh, Reva, and Phillip.

Anyway, I came here to praise the 60 Minutes tribute to GL which was very well done. It was bittersweet watching the filming of the last episodes. I won't miss this GL, but the GL I loved in the 80s and parts of the 90s when the show was golden.

Edited by SimoneS, Sep 13, 2009 @ 7:49 PM.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 7:47 PM

I'm the biggest Otalia fan there is, but I didn't think not including Otalia in the "60 Minutes" segment was inappropriate. It was clearly geared at the history of the show--everyone they talked to had 20+ years of service. It would've been nice, sure, but I wasn't expecting it. I would have taken issue if they'd featured, say, Shayne/Dinah and M&M and hadn't even mentioned Otalia, but they didn't, so.

The only one that grated was Frank Dicopolous, merely because I would rather them have focused on JC (Billy) or MK (Vanessa) instead of him. Or had brought MG (Holly) in...that would've been awesome.

Edited by stealinghome, Sep 13, 2009 @ 7:48 PM.

ems09

ems09

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 7:54 PM

Someone asked Orlagh: @orlaghcassidy I hear we see Doris' girlfriend on Monday, anyone we know? and she responded - @doodle79 you may recognize her if you were paying attention.

If we were paying attention? Has she never met an Otalia fan?

Is there any doubt left now that CBS was responsible for keeping Otalia behind the scenes? They did the same thing in the 60 minutes segment. No CC interview, if they mentioned Otalia, I missed it. The only Otalia scene I saw was Olivia and Natalia walking down a staircase during a mention of single moms. Do they really think Otalia is a secret?

I've not seen the special, but I'm not really surprised there was no Otalia mention. Especially if the focus was on the 72 yr history. Otalia is really just a blip in that history. (And I say this as a die-hard Otalia fan.) Were any fans interviewed? I would find those opinions more meaningful than any news organization's perspective. I have a tendency to question agendas.

Niuxita, I'm trying to find ways to love KZ. Was there an interesting context to the "from whence I came" remark? I agree it does sound very Shakespearian/King James Bible-y.

ETA: That's great to hear that long-time viewers on this board are happy with the special. I'll take that as an endorsement and I'll be sure to catch it when it is available on YT. Thanks.

Edited by ems09, Sep 13, 2009 @ 8:14 PM.

AnoushkaNYC

AnoushkaNYC

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 7:55 PM

For the record, I'm not an Otalia fan. Honestly, I would have preferred a Josh/Olivia ending BUT the Otalia story has been well publicized in the soap and mainstream media. I do find it surprising that 60 minutes as a NEWS SHOW did not cover that aspect of the story. Maybe my perception was wrong and it was meant to be a tribute segment but I do find the non mention suspect considering the freshness of the Otalia PR. I think if ABC's 20/20 had done the story, they would have asked about Otalia.

NancyEss

NancyEss

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 8:03 PM

I thought the 60 Minutes piece was well done. It was a real salute to the longevity of Guiding Light, starting with its radio days through the new production model. It correctly, IMO, featured the current actors/characters that have been on the show the longest. For 60 Minutes viewers who don't watch GL, there was a nod to a few of the famous alumni who have been on the show so they'd feel some connection to the feature. There was no way that every fan's favorite story could be included, especially given time restraints. I don't think there were any conspiracies or corporate agenda at play. As a long time fan, I was happy that it was a respectful story honoring the long history of the show and the place it's held in television history.

Niuxita

Niuxita

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 8:04 PM

Heh, ems, it's from when she's talking to who I assume is the interviewer about what happened after Reva drove herself off a bridge and eventually ended up in San Cristobal. This is the full quote: And I became the princess of San Cristobal, I married the handsome prince, and THEN the bad brother threw me back into the water from whence I came and that's when I floated up to Amish country and I became Amish.

I love how nonchalantly she says it, like, "Sure, and after being a princess, obviously I became Amish. Pass the salt." Only in soaps, man.

Edited by Niuxita, Sep 13, 2009 @ 8:06 PM.

StellStell

StellStell

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 13, 2009 @ 8:14 PM

Maybe part of the lack of Otalia was that the primary footage interview wise was filmed around the time when the BBQ was done, and Jessica was on maternity leave.

The one thing I wished they had mentioned was how many actors they talked to have been off the show at times due to being fired. That would have been an interesting wrinkle.