Guiding Light

• Please log in to reply

33292 replies to this topic

MountainGirl

MountainGirl

Posted Dec 31, 2003 @ 11:49 PM

Crappy spoilers regarding the Maryanne shit, proving once again that Weston is a hack...

GL SECRET IS OUT

After months of cryptic hints, GL's Carrie finally gives Marah, Michelle and Marina the scoop about what happened to Maryanne. "It's come back to bite [these men]," previews Ron Raines (Alan).

In 1977, Josh, Billy, Buzz, Alan, Ed and Maryanne piled into a car and ended up drinking beer that Alan had drugged. The car plunged off a bridge; all survived -- except Maryanne. The boys made a pact never to tell anyone about the incident.

The women confront the men about Carrie's story. They're reactions? "Buzz throws up," previews Justin Deas. "Ed is psychotic," shares Peter Simon (Ed). Billy and Josh refuse to confirm it. "That's what's heartbreaking. Josh is standing there doing something that is completely against his character. [He] forces himself to do it because of [their] agreement," notes Robert Newman(Josh).

Now that the secret is out, expect repercussions, as Ed sabotages his medical career and Buzz decided to leave town.

Edited by MountainGirl, Dec 31, 2003 @ 11:49 PM.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 3:01 AM

OMG, those spoilers? They're absolutely horrible.

They've had to contrive reasons for Buzz, Josh and Billy to show their faces in SF before they really did and now they knew each other enough to go drinking? And abandoned a dead woman? Unreal.

Lizzybeth

Lizzybeth

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 1:36 PM

Wait, I thought that Buzz went to Vietnam and never came back, supposedly killed in action but really off with some woman creating Lucy. So in 1977 Buzz would not have been in Springfield. Am I getting my timeline messed up as to when Buzz left Nadine? I mean, I realize this is all super-revisionist history, but god, if you're going to rewrite history, at least make it a good story. Because this one blows big time.

StellStell

StellStell

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 4:20 PM

Lizzybeth, no your timeline isn't messed up. Buzz left Nadine to go back to Vietnam, they slept together one last time and Harley was conceived. For years, everyone thought he was MIA in the war. I agree it does blow.

At least, Bloss got married last week. Where were Gus and Harley for New Year's eve?

SimoneS

SimoneS

Stalker

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 8:35 PM

What shitty spoilers! The current TPTB are just hacks. They have just twisted GL's history to contrived one of the stupidest storylines EVER. If I could, I would line them up and smack the hell out of every one of them.

Edited by SimoneS, Jan 1, 2004 @ 8:35 PM.

BoobTubeZombie

BoobTubeZombie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 9:25 PM

If I could, I would line them up and smack the hell out of every one of them.

Can I join in on this? Those spoilers are complete bullshit. I thought this Sl was bullshit from the first day it aired, but I held out hope that TIIC would somehow salvage it. I should know better. All I tune in for these days is Cadmund and GusH, everything else has gone to hell. If these rumors about GusH breaking up are true, I don't know what I'll do.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 9:37 PM

Seriously if this storyline results in a trial I think Buzz should stand up in court and say "Hey, I have an alibi, don't you all remember, you thought I was dead and didn't set foot in Springfield until years later resulting in a very strained relationship for several years with both of my children and my wife."

LAFFINatU

LAFFINatU

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 10:31 AM

You would think Buzz would have good enough alibi but the asshats in charge made it point for Buzz to tell Mariana that he came back once but didn't see anyone. That is a lot of contrivence for such a stupid storyline. If the spoilers are true its not even going to have a good pay off. I can deal with stupid for a little while if the pay off is good.

DavidsGalPal

DavidsGalPal

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 12:44 PM

I ain't too thrilled with the new Cadmund spoilers either. If The Hairy Toad doesn't mess up GusH, it sounds like they will be his likely target. I was so hoping we'd get a break from him.....but just the fact that BC is on the show must mean he's obligated to be mixed in with whatever s/l's LW/DAM are......especially LW. Heaven forbid they BOTH move on to something/someone new!!

Edited by DavidsGalPal, Jan 2, 2004 @ 12:45 PM.

MountainGirl

MountainGirl

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 1:42 PM

DavidsGalPal - About the Hairy Toad - this is based on nothing more than the fact that EW and Co. love to do the obvious, but I have this feeling that Toad-boy will somehow turn out to be Prince Dickie since BC was brought back to appease one loud but small part of the GL audience, and GL likes to lull us into thinking that they abandoned some half-assed plot and then spring it on us. Remember the rumors about from early last year about a Sock Puppet? We had many puppet-free months before we discovered that Sandy like to stick his hand up a puppet's ass. Also, that damn tunnel was ignored and hopefully forgotten until this Maryanne crap started. That's why I think that GL thinks they have convinced us that Toad-boy is some mysterious secret agent and oh what a surprise it will be when it turns out he is not-so-dead Dickie with amnesia or some other nonesense.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 1:45 PM

You would think Buzz would have good enough alibi but the asshats in charge made it point for Buzz to tell Mariana that he came back once but didn't see anyone.

Oh my god I missed that part of this stupid storyline, so we are supposed to believe that Buzz came hung out with his friends and that no one in the following years when they see Frank struggling with taking care of Harley decided to maybe mention that their father wasn't dead?

Lizzybeth

Lizzybeth

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 6:25 PM

You would think Buzz would have good enough alibi but the asshats in charge made it point for Buzz to tell Mariana that he came back once but didn't see anyone.

Absolutely the worst revision of history ever. Buzz came back to just hang out and tip a few with Billy, Josh, and Ed (yeah right. Also highly improbable) and accidentally kill someone? Ugh.

DavidsGalPal

DavidsGalPal

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 9:29 PM

I have a feeling that I'll know by the end of February sweeps if I'll still be watching GL by year's end. It seems more and more like these story re-writes we've been hearing about haven't been re-written at all. Especially the rumors about.....Jeffrey being MaryAnne's (and Ed Bauer's) son and her being Richard's mother as well (not to mention some SuperSecretAgentSuperHero too)....thus giving Toad-Boy, instant mega family connections in SF and probably leading to the downfall of Cadmund and a Jassie pairing. Making the the center of the GL universe around which everything and everyone revolves.
The SuperSecretAgent crap is there to give him a deep dark secret which no doubt Cassie will be the ONLY one to dig out from under his gruff exterior.....and to also make him a heroic figure (ala Richard)

Gawd....I just made myself sick.
So does JC have a crush on BC or what??)
I don't think they've changed one damn thing that was leaked that cause the whole uproar about the revised GL history in the first place. I am so sick and tired of GL moving heaven and earth for BC's sake and the hell with everyone else!!
The only saving grace is they can't make him BOTH Richard and have Jeffrey being MaryAnne and Ed's son too......can they??

I like Cadmund and GusH, and they are probably the only reasons I'm still watching, so I won't be surprised if Toad-Boy (BC's return) is what makes me end up stop watching GL for good. I'd already given up on the show once when they didn't seem to have anything for Edmund to do....messed up the Gus is a Santos s/l and they brought back Ed only for him to go MIA half the time....with NO story whatsoever. This is/was GL's last chance with me.

Edited by DavidsGalPal, Jan 2, 2004 @ 9:33 PM.

MountainGirl

MountainGirl

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 9:45 PM

messed up the Gus is a Santos s/l

I'm actually glad they follow through with this one. I would hate to have Gus related to the Santoses. He is way too good for them.

Edited by MountainGirl, Jan 2, 2004 @ 10:40 PM.

DavidsGalPal

DavidsGalPal

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 10:58 PM

I was really looking forward to Danny and Gus being related and all the possibilities it set up.(til the whole Santos s/l became such a snoozer)
Wasn't at all thrilled him being made a Spaulding. When there are so many of them MIA. Maybe more story with Phillip, Olivia, Alan and Alex all thrown in together will change my mind.

Edited by DavidsGalPal, Jan 2, 2004 @ 11:02 PM.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 11:15 PM

Yeah I wanted Gus to be releated to Danny, mainly because the two characters had such great chemistry together and I miss the scenes with the two of them.

MountainGirl

MountainGirl

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 11:21 PM

I agree that they had good chemsitry together but I still didn't want them to be related. A lot of that has to do with a certain board that slams anything and anyone that enters the sacred circle of Manny. I wanted Gus and RPG far away from that. Maybe that is petty of me but it is what it is.

DavidsGalPal

DavidsGalPal

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 11:55 PM

I liked the animosity between Danny and Gus. Didn't give too much thought to Gus being in near proximity to Manny. What intrigued me most was the rumor that Selena was Gus's mother. How would Buzz have reacted to that??
That's what I was hoping for and most disappointed about when it seemed TPTB got cold feet since their big secret seemed to have been found out a little early. And that's why the story was changed and then the current PTB changed it again.

TPTB are so set on making sure Jeffrey has get some insta-family ties...and that just grates on me. If Cassie/Edmund break up, he'll be pretty much all alone again with no one. I don't see anyone coming to Edmund's rescue. There are those rumors that Jonathan/Sandy is really Jeffrey's son or Jeffrey would be related to Edmund (and Sandy) by being Richard's half-brother. And that's why both Edmund and Sandy have such an aversion to Mr Toad-Boy. Again...it's all about Jeffrey. I'd much rather we found out that Sandy isn't Jonathan...but Edmund's son instead.

Edited by DavidsGalPal, Jan 3, 2004 @ 12:03 AM.

Professor Soap

Professor Soap

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 8:35 AM

I had a hard time with the Friday episode.

For one thing, I have general irritation with the way the dialogue is written. The older crowd typically speaks and sounds believable but many of the rest seem to just be running their lines and I find I can't seem to engage with them as characters at an emotional level.

For one thing, I just can't deal with Marah. She is constantly and simultaneously trying to be noble, hopeless, faux cheery, and a tragic wet blanket. She definitely needs to be in some intensive therapy immediately. I guess we can say she is definitely a mix of her parents, Reva's attractiveness and Josh's attractiveness/moodiness but that's about it.

I felt a little bad for Dr. Langham, especially since he's a Tragic Widower (Paging Dr. Langham, I'll be your NEW wife!) but at the same time, you just know that they are building up a triangle with him, Philip, and Olivia.

Sigh... he has such perfect diction... I just wish his residency had included a sense of humor.

It's like watching a cute, muscled, yet platitude-spouting self-help book in action.

It'll be nice to have Shane and Sharina up and about again because this wheelchair story was a complete waste of time.

Now that would be interesting...

Jeffrey as a Bauer AND Richard!

It will be interesting to see where this goes.

Edited by Professor Soap, Jan 3, 2004 @ 8:39 AM.

DavidsGalPal

DavidsGalPal

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 2:55 PM

Have you read the interview in SOD with Deas, Clarke, Raines, Simon and Newman. It's a definite must read!! Probably the best thing that's come from this whole MaryAnne/Carrie story, besides them getting to work together. Hate the story so far and it's sounding like the BIG reveal is going to be Jeffrey-related, so I know I'm going to HATE that...but I loved the interview.

I think posting the entire text is frowned upon here, so I'll post a link to it....here

MountainGirl

MountainGirl

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 5:04 PM

I loved reading that interview. They do appear to enjoy working with each other but I get the impression that none of them enjoy the story. And it pretty much confirmed that the story is about the 3 Morons and not them. Very sad. I wonder if Conboy is happy with how that interview turned out.

BoobTubeZombie

BoobTubeZombie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 10:55 PM

I want Deas, Clarke, Raines, Simon and Newman to be writers on the show. Those are some funny guys. My love for them just increased exponentially. They not only have a sense of humor, but they seem 10 times more informed about this shows past than the writers seem to be. Or maybe it's not that the writers don't know the shows past, but that they just don't care about it.

farmerbrown

farmerbrown

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 11:42 AM

Wow! Those guys are AWESOME.

THAT'S an ensemble. they do need to let them do some of the writing.

failsafe

failsafe

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 10:27 PM

OMG I love Jordan Clarke so much. When the story gets crappy, all I have to do is think of this quote:

I got hit by Maeve [Kinkead, ex-Vanessa] several times and it rang my bell.

PS said when he came back that he was just going to play what they gave him, be a happy actor and not complain. I think they are definitely taking advantage of that pledge...

Sarah O

Sarah O

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 12:49 PM

If one of those spoilers is correct and Jeffrey is the son of Maryanne and Ed, that would make him 25 years old, wouldn't it? Okay, maybe he would be a little older if Ed and Maryanne had a relationship for awhile before the car accident. But since Jeffrey is supposed to be around the same age as Reva (since he's Richard's doppelganger, and Richard was married to "Catherine"), and he is so age-inappropriate for Marah, and because McSquick looks mid-forties, I would find this incredibly unbelievable. Yes, even more unbelievable than the current Maryanne Caruthers story!

Ides of March

Ides of March

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 1:30 PM

and it's sounding like the BIG reveal is going to be Jeffrey-related, so I know I'm going to HATE that.

What a shock. A storyline on this show revolving around DA!SuperMcScruff. /sarcasm Wow, how cool. Except not.

RE: The SOD interview. Those guys are priceless and deserve a better storyline. At least they're on my screen, so I'm a little thankful for that, at least. Use the vets, soap opera writers! There's gold in them thar hills.

InnerCanuck

InnerCanuck

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 1:46 PM

...so we are supposed to believe that Buzz came hung out with his friends and that no one in the following years when they see Frank struggling with taking care of Harley decided to maybe mention that their father wasn't dead?

If it weren't so sad, it would be funny. Ignoring show history stinks; revisionist history, poorly written stinks even more. Gah! Whoever said sweeps next month would determine if they're still viewing GL by year's end? I'm right there with you.

Time to lighten my mood, and read the SOD interview...

HEE! These guys are the newest Fab Five!

Edited by InnerCanuck, Jan 5, 2004 @ 1:49 PM.

SimoneS

SimoneS

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 3:32 PM

I'm watching GL live. This MaryAnne/Carrie storyline is simply incredulous. I don't for one second believe that Alan would hang out with Ed, Josh, Billy or Buzz. Alan is such a snob. Also I could never see Alan as a rapist. He is manipulative and dangerous, but not directly violent which why it wasn't believeable all those years ago when they had Alan shot Phillip by accident trying to kill Blake.

As for the Hairy Toad, these desperate attempts to warp other characters to give him a role in the soap will be TPTB's demise so I hope that they keep it up.

MountainGirl

MountainGirl

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 3:46 PM

I'm just reading the PBP's and the whole thing makes me nauseous. Buzz was on leave from the army and he never stopped by to see his kids? Where was Lucy, who surely would have been born by now? Also in 1977, Alan was the head of Spaulding Enterprises with a wife and a kid. Why in the hell would he have been hanging out with the others at a country fair?

I loathe TIIC for doing this.

Professor Soap

Professor Soap

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 5:01 PM

With so vast a history, surely GL could have come up with a story that didn't insult the fans or warp the space-time-continuum as opposed to this fetid turd!

I seriously think all the soaps need to bring in people from this site to do continuity analysis on the scripts and episodes at every stage of production because the writers and producers and directors are clearly incapable of it!

Edited by Professor Soap, Jan 5, 2004 @ 5:02 PM.