Late Show with David Letterman

• Please log in to reply

10892 replies to this topic

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 11:10 PM

Colbert's "jump" graphic on Thursday night read "Rocks & Garbage."

Between this and Stephen quoting, "The CHAIR is not my son," it was meant to be.

Edited by WAnglais1, Apr 13, 2014 @ 11:11 PM.

maryis

maryis

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 12:46 AM

I started watching Dave when he was a morning show. Then transitioned into watching him when he hit late night. Then watched him on CBS. I went to his anniversary show in 1987/88 at Radio City. Stood outside in the snow and taking in every moment. I can still smell the roasting chestnuts in the street vendors carts. Dave did his Velcro suit trick and had a Phil Donahue "toy" where an action figure dressed as Phil Donahue ran around the little tableau to audience members. Richard Lewis was on as a guest. And IIRC, Paul played the Radio City organ.

Dave introduced Gorgeous George who was in the audience (the old time wrestler back when "pro" wrestling was a hoot and no one took it seriously.

Went out to a city sparkling with snow and drove back in a driving snow storm. It was one of the magical events of my life.

I came upon Talequah, Oklahoma on a drive west., one of Dave's home offices.

There was one thing that I secretly believe that I was responsible for on the show. One night I was watching a PBS special that had Roy Orbison performing. It just hit me... Roy and Larry "Bud" Melman really looked a lot alike. I wrote a letter to the show and asked if maybe Larry Bud could be Roy Orbison's secret identical twin. In just two weeks, Larry Bud Melman came onto the show dressed like Orbison from head to toe. Coincidence? Probably. But it always made me smile. After Orbison died, the character wasn't used any more.

A fun thing I did discovered was that "Oldie" was a man who grew up near where I lived in Pennsylvania and was actually a trained, fine actor. I met his nephew by chance and he told me what a wonderful man his uncle was.

I've enjoyed every incarnation of Dave's show. Loved his humor and his quick wit. I hope he has a wonderful retirement. He deserves it.

Edited by maryis, Apr 14, 2014 @ 12:56 AM.

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 3:21 PM

There was one thing that I secretly believe that I was responsible for on the show. One night I was watching a PBS special that had Roy Orbison performing. It just hit me... Roy and Larry "Bud" Melman really looked a lot alike. I wrote a letter to the show and asked if maybe Larry Bud could be Roy Orbison's secret identical twin. In just two weeks, Larry Bud Melman came onto the show dressed like Orbison from head to toe. Coincidence? Probably. But it always made me smile. After Orbison died, the character wasn't used any more.

I have looked and looked for footage of Larry dressed as Roy as "Kenny the Gardner." I still sing the parody of "Pretty Woman" every now and then.