Late Show with David Letterman

• Please log in to reply

10892 replies to this topic

Grommet

Grommet

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2013 @ 2:29 PM

Or Bonnie Hunt! I miss her so much. One of my favorite made-up stories of hers was about clothes shopping with Dave - she tried to get him to try on something, "not gonna happen."

stonehaven

stonehaven

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 6:39 AM

Call me cheesy but I love the recurring gag of Neil Armstrong practicing his line while walking on the moon...and when did they change the opening from "From New York"..to "From the heart of Broadway"?
I also second the emotion that Dave loves Bonnie Hunt...She should be on his show even when she has nothing to promote.

jmslsu01

jmslsu01

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 2:16 PM

Enjoyed watching Dave talk about how much he hates Bruce and Linda. Ditto to the Neil Armstrong rejected quotes.

I noticed the expanded intro--seems a bit much.

Grommet

Grommet

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 11:05 PM

Thursday night's show was a hoot. I love Dave and Regis together, and that ghost story thing was oddly entertaining (all it needed was an ending!). I liked the musical guest too and kept the show on my DVR so I can get the name.

Why the sudden hate for Bruce and Linda? I still enjoy the segment, although Bruce relies too much on the teleprompter and really should sit still.

The new intro rings a bell for me - does it harken back to some old tv show?

kib

kib

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 11:38 PM

I noticed the expanded intro--seems a bit much.

I don't know, I miss the old days when the intros were different almost every night, usually some knock on NYC. They stopped doing it on the first show after 9/11. Too much work for the writers to break a sweat and come up with something fresh these days I suppose. Noticed "Big Red" is giving himself a credit now too.

SanDiegoInExile

SanDiegoInExile

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 3:38 AM

Why the sudden hate for Bruce and Linda? I still enjoy the segment, although Bruce relies too much on the teleprompter and really should sit still.

I also enjoy this weekly moment. I would love to have Dave/Paul guest co-host and fill in for Bruce in the promo. Would also be fun to have some celebs (Tom Hanks/Regis/whatever random big star does the Late Show that week) be a guest co-host in the promo.

Who are Bruce and Linda? Linda comes across as a professional actress, but Bruce comes across as a staffer/writer who has not perfected his on-screen demeanor/presentation.

jmslsu01

jmslsu01

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 9:20 AM

I enjoy the Weekend Late Show segment as well. It doesn't cause belly laughs (well, at least not for me), but I like the random list of upcoming guests/segments--gratitude experts and tips on the right time to fudge your tax records. Not sure how long they will drag this out (too long, I'm sure), but it's amusing. Better than the dumb graphics in the middle of the monologue. Would love to know who Bruce and Linda are!

Did anyone watch Oprah's Next Chapter? I missed the interview. I'm hoping that the entire interview will be published online (eventually), but here are clips.

Edited by jmslsu01, Jan 7, 2013 @ 9:39 AM.

Grommet

Grommet

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 6:31 PM

I set my DVR to tape the Oprah interview but noticed it wasn't recording and discovered I couldn't get the channel to show up - just a black screen. So either Time Warner sucks or my DVR sucks or something else sucks - aargh. I hope it will be rerun or available online. Thanks for the link to the clips, jmslse01.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 6:43 PM

I have Time Warner too, and sometimes the upper channels go out & either rebooting the box brings them back, or I have to call in and have them send some magic signal from HQ and that will work. I'm sure the interview will rerun, so don't give up. It was worth watching.

sourdoh

sourdoh

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 9:55 PM

That's weird. I don't have time Warner, but my channel was out too. It was the only channel off in the whole line up. I was mad since I really wanted to watch it,but I'll catch a rerun. I've watched some clips and this is a strange observation,but doesn't it look like Dave's nose might be getting 'flatter'? Just something I noticed, part of aging I'm sure.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 11:52 PM

Call it Bill Cosby syndrome.

couchspudstud

couchspudstud

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 8, 2013 @ 3:29 AM

I saw the Oprah interview. It was good but nothing too interesting. I did like that they talked about the start fo their feud, I don't think I had heard that story before. They usually rerun them on Sunday nights for anyone who missed it.

teddysmom

teddysmom

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2013 @ 10:39 AM

Dave was cute with Jessica Chastain last night, she even got the rare Dave walk out to the middle of the stage to greet her.

He is on a One Man Mission to promote Zero Dark Thirty.

They showed a new clip of the movie, with Jessica's character handing Kyle Chandler's character "his ass", as she called it.

Also, to quote Dave "Just Release the damn Movie!!"

Grommet

Grommet

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 6:33 PM

Remember the "bad phone call" bit that Dave used to do? I loved that, and I need him to do one for me. I think I'm going to bail on my new job and I feel really bad about it, because they're nice people and they hired me after I got downsized from my former job (where they were a client). So it would be great if Dave could let them know, while I slink away.

Zero Dark Thirty looks great.

Shouldn't Amy Sedaris be coming on soon? It's been too long.

kib

kib

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 12:39 AM

Ms. Williams is nearly as smarmy as her father.
YMMV.

stonehaven

stonehaven

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 6:47 AM

Zithering Heights??? God, how I love Bruce and Linda....

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 11:20 PM

Brian Williams is definitely swarmy, but his daughter didn't bother me at all. She wasn't interesting, but at least she wasn't pushing a new perfume.

ElectraAlan

ElectraAlan

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 4:46 AM

I'm loving the beginnings of all the failed talk shows. So many have come and gone, and Dave is still the man. I recognized that the Pat Sajak one was from his very first show. I wonder if they're all from the very first shows. Some of them barely made it to a second show.

Grommet

Grommet

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 11:55 AM

Zithering Heights made me laugh out loud. I think the writers have a lot of fun with Bruce and Linda.

And the old talk show bits are great, especially the guest line ups. What has Jerry O'Connell done lately, anyway?

I don't like Brian Williams but I find him genuinely entertaining, and the same goes for his daughter.

My sister met Michael J. Fox at a fundraiser for his foundation and said he's every bit as likeable as she was hoping. She works for a major insurance company that's going to help fund the program he was talking about, making a link between research and actual clinical trials for Parkinson's sufferers.

JohnInUK

JohnInUK

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 3:12 PM

Hi everyone, does anyone know if there are shows scheduled for next week, or is it a dark week? I'm in New York next week and would love to catch a recording.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 4:21 PM

According to the online ticket form, it's reruns next week.

JohnInUK

JohnInUK

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 11:54 AM

Ah that's a shame, would have loved to have caught a taping. Thanks anyway!

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 3:17 PM

I remember Dave talking about (I think) Charlie Sheen hanging outside a Ralph's supermarket back in the 70s when Dave was living in LA. Those two go way back. I can't believe Martin Sheen is going to be a great grandfather.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 3:01 PM

I really enjoy how funny/strange Jennifer Lawrence is, it's really refreshing compared to other young actresses.

AVorlon

AVorlon

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 6:54 AM

If anyone ever compiles a top 10 list of the least funny episodes ever, I would submit the Wednesday show for consideration.

CattyTiger

CattyTiger

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 12:33 PM

Hoping Dave would make it fun, we went ahead and watched Dave's interview with the Kardashians. Kinda funny, but disappointing - could have been so much more.

Fisher King

Fisher King

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 12:38 PM

Loved everything about the Buddy Guy segments.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 2:11 PM

I don't know if it was the shoes, the outfit or both, but Kim's butt looked particularly huge. She's only what... 3 months along. She just looked awkward walking out.

I like that Dave doesn't hold back.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 11:28 PM

Thank the higher power for DVRs. I zipped right past the Kardashians to get to the awesomeness of Buddy Guy. Loved hearing him talk about Chess.

Grommet

Grommet

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 1:45 PM

I too skipped over the Kardashians. Ugh.

Jennifer Lawrence was refreshingly odd and spontaneous. I just watched The Hunger Games and was impressed with her. I thought Silver Linings Playbook came out ages ago, but I guess that was just a limited release at the end of the year.

Will Biff be going to the Super Bowl? He's been to quite a few.