Late Show with David Letterman

• Please log in to reply

10892 replies to this topic

CattyTiger

CattyTiger

Fanatic

Posted Dec 22, 2012 @ 5:40 PM

Yeah, the Lone Ranger story seemed a little off this year. The football toss was good, but I kinda like it to last longer with Dave throwing some, too.

Darlene was fabulous, maybe even more so this year. And Paul, too. And the snow globe sax. I always like to see how that will work each year.

Naomi Watts - who cares.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Dec 22, 2012 @ 10:56 PM

Was feeling out of sorts, got some negative news, feeling sorry for myself and down in the dumps, but then my spirits picked right up with Darlene Love. I do love the Love. Great performance as usual. It was the good medicine I needed. Thanks Dave !

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Dec 23, 2012 @ 12:01 AM

Well now it is really Christmas. Jay Thomas & the devine Darlene Love made my holiday as always. She was spectacular this year.

chitowngirl

chitowngirl

Fanatic

Posted Dec 23, 2012 @ 11:58 PM

Darlene was incredible....especially considering she's 71 years old! I'm not that old and she still looks better than me!!

This is always what I wait for around Christmas time. Wow!

Edited by chitowngirl, Dec 23, 2012 @ 11:59 PM.

stonehaven

stonehaven

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 24, 2012 @ 1:30 AM

I was in the ER last night for some throat issues and my friend was trying to cheer my up by looking up JD and Letterman clips up on his Nook...and this one appeared...It had been pulled earlier this year..
So I was thrilled to see it again...so I'll share it with you before it get's yanked again..

John Denver Sings "Supermarket Finds"

A Boston Gal

A Boston Gal

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 24, 2012 @ 11:01 AM

Thanks, stonehaven, that made my day!

I also felt Jay's story was rushed; is there usually an extra guest like Naomi Watts on the Christmas Show?

Edited by A Boston Gal, Dec 24, 2012 @ 11:03 AM.

mumbles

mumbles

Fanatic

Posted Dec 24, 2012 @ 11:54 AM

Aw thanks, stonehaven - I remember John Denver doing this, and my squealing in surprise and delight from home. "Supermarket finds...Colorado." I've looked for it every once and a while on the Interwebs, but no luck until now!

stonehaven

stonehaven

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 24, 2012 @ 11:56 AM

You're welcome A Boston Gal

To answer your question, I know David Hyde Pierce was on one year and as I recall, that was fun interview as he delved into the absurd nature of the traditional Christmas show...last year....I tried looking for it on You Tube but to no avail..

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted Dec 24, 2012 @ 5:57 PM

They always have a third guest on the Christmas show. Looking through this past guest list shows David Hyde Pierce, Amanda Peet, Alec Baldwin, Mickey Rourke, and Cate Blanchett in the last handful of years.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Dec 25, 2012 @ 1:24 AM

stonehaven, I'm up late following Christmas Eve services, and thank you so much for that gift. Beautiful!

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted Dec 26, 2012 @ 12:35 PM

Friendly reminder: Kennedy Centers are tonight, starts at 9 eastern. If you don't feel like watching the whole thing, Dave's segment is second to last.

Skategrrl

Skategrrl

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 27, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

Loved, loved, LOVED the Kennedy Center Honors. I watch the show every year and was thrilled Dave received such recognition. Still trying to decide my favorite bits: Tina Fey's "give them enough rope" interview techique or Jimmy Kimmel's "there's a 40 percent chance Dave will try to hang himself with the necklace."

Hope you are feeling better, stonehaven! Thanks for the link, it's great.

BTW, does anyone know where I can find video of the first show Dave did after Harry was born? I still remember him talking about Dr. Lou ordering more and more food during the labor.

Grommet

Grommet

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 27, 2012 @ 5:58 PM

I'm with you, Skategrrl - those were my two favorite moments. Tina Fey was just great (loved that "it was poetry" line about the Paris Hilton interview) and Dave seemed to really enjoy her remarks.

I've been watching Dave since the morning show and I've always felt he was the unconventional choice, confirming my opinion of myself as being smart and on the cutting edge. The down side of that is that he hasn't gotten the mainstream recognition (ecept for all those Emmys!)or high ratings of that toady Leno, so the whole Kennedy Center Honors thing felt like an affirmation to me. Dave is a smart, funny man who has inspired many other smart, funny people.

I just remembered another great line from Tina Fey, that Dave fans secretly fantasize that Dave would like us. I'll raise my hand to that!

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2012 @ 7:02 PM

I agree, Grommet, I like to think that if Dave met me on the street he'd want to sit down and have a beer with me and he'd find everything I say fascinating....
Or, he might hate me. I hope not. To quote Ray Romano(who normally I can't stand, but on this we agree):I love you, David Letterman.
So nice that the film tribute began with Dorothy....hope she's okay and was watching..

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2012 @ 7:47 PM

I thought Ray Ramono's bit was the stand out. That he was fired from Newsradio, was 36 with 3 kids, but he didn't give up because he found Dave so inspiring (and I assume Dave's refusal to be like any one else) and then Dave signed him to a deal that lead to "Everybody Loves Raymond". And of course, his line about being 1 to nothing in the debates.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

IMO Tina Fey hit it out of the park. She was fantastic. And that dress- she looked gorgeous. Loved the whole show.

ikar

ikar

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2012 @ 11:30 PM

Tina: "Whether it's calling Bill O'Reilly a bonehead, or asking Paris Hilton about eating hard-boiled eggs in jail... which is really a piece of poetry. Watch it again, if you haven't seen it lately."

The Paris Hilton "jail" interview.

Paris: "But I moved on with my life so I don't want to talk about it anymore."
Dave: "See now, this is where you and I are different... Did you make any friends when you were in jail?"

Edited by ikar, Dec 27, 2012 @ 11:31 PM.

Grommet

Grommet

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 28, 2012 @ 10:37 AM

Morbs, I didn't know it was NewsRadio that Romano was talking about. I loved that show and can't imagine anyone but Dave Foley in that role (I assume that was the one he was talking about? Surely not Phil Hartman's! "Good times" is one of my long-standing recurring jokes.) I never watched Everyone Loves Raymond but I always enjoy his appearances on Dave's show.

I wish they'd drop some stuff off the roof again. I always enjoy watching Pat Farmer do that.

Hey, I've got an idea - let Dave go to a 4-day week all year and have one show each week be a compilation of greatest hits. We've only got a couple of years left of Late Night so it wouldn't be that many shows to compile.

sourdoh

sourdoh

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 28, 2012 @ 12:34 PM

And of course, his line about being 1 to nothing in the debates.

I liked that line, but loved that Michelle Obama seemed to find it really funny. Her reaction made me lol.

It was a very nice tribute to Dave and I liked seeing the pictures of him as a boy. I'm glad he looked like he was enjoying it and didn't seem too embarrassed about being praised by everyone.

Next up, the Oprah interview! I see his remarks about Jay are already getting some press. I don't think Dave saying Jay is insecure is a really biting insult, but it is being played up that way.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted Dec 28, 2012 @ 12:36 PM

Morbs, I didn't know it was NewsRadio that Romano was talking about. I loved that show and can't imagine anyone but Dave Foley in that role (I assume that was the one he was talking about? Surely not Phil Hartman's! "Good times" is one of my long-standing recurring jokes.)

He was actually up for what became the Joe Rogan role. Romano's last minute firing is why there's a completely different handyman character in the pilot episode then there is for the rest of the series.

Grommet

Grommet

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 28, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

Ah, that makes more sense. I actually hated that character, except for one line - something about making his own duct tape.

athousandclowns

athousandclowns

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 2:25 PM

I loved Hoffman's appearance and tribute to Dave where he made him promise not to interrupt him.

Edited by athousandclowns, Jan 1, 2013 @ 2:26 PM.

jrs

jrs

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 3:33 AM

Dave and Bill were actually written with Foley and Hartman in mind, respectively.

Annnnd yeah, I just keep skipping back and watching Romano zing POTUS on the 1st debate. Obama agreeing with him ("No!") is my favorite part. Also liked seeing Dave actually out with Regina. Wow!

Jim Gaffigan is my preferred Letterman pet comedian but Ray killed it. I love you too, Dave.

The Camera Three guy seemed to think Dave was the fourth member of Led Zep. He was always in the shot while they were watching the tribute performances.

mumbles

mumbles

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 1:03 PM

Last night's show with Kathy Griffin was awkward. Guests whom Dave doesn't like fall into two groups - some that Dave just likes to screw with (Paris Hilton, e.g.) and some he just doesn't want to bother with. I think Kathy is in the latter group. At least she knows he doesn't like her and she doesn't try to change that.

Last night's show also reminded me what a great straight guy Paul is for Dave's humor. When Dave starts describing one of his elaborate fake conversations to set up a bit, Paul's encouragement makes them even funnier.

Edited by mumbles, Jan 3, 2013 @ 1:03 PM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 1:56 PM

If Dave really didn't like Kathy, she wouldn't be on the show. She's no great ratings draw. I think he likes her irreverence.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 2:19 PM

I don't get the vibe that Dave doesn't like Kathy either, but take a look at how terrible her mystic tan was on her arms and hands compared to her face.

Edited by Morbs, Jan 3, 2013 @ 2:20 PM.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 2:21 PM

Last night's show with Kathy Griffin was awkward. Guests whom Dave doesn't like fall into two groups - some that Dave just likes to screw with (Paris Hilton, e.g.) and some he just doesn't want to bother with. I think Kathy is in the latter group. At least she knows he doesn't like her and she doesn't try to change that.

I got a totally different impression. I thought he was amused by her.

This is Kathy's 4th appearance on Letterman in the past 16 months. That's 1 visit every 4 months, including last January, when she stripped off for Dave.

jmucky

jmucky

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 3:46 PM

When Dave kisses a woman's hand at the end of the interview (he kissed Kathy's), I've always taken that to mean he genuinely thinks they did well and/or likes them as a guest.

Edited by jmucky, Jan 3, 2013 @ 3:47 PM.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 7:22 PM

Dave really likes Kathy, otherwise he wouldn't ask her back so much, I think she really tickles him. Amy Sedaris is another person that Dave obviously has a lot of affection for, and that's why she's on so often,Tina Fey also springs to mind as another smart, funny woman that Dave enjoys. Of course the original lady in that category was Teri Garr all those years ago on NBC.

ElectraAlan

ElectraAlan

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2013 @ 3:53 AM

And leave us not forget Sandra Bernhard.