Late Show with David Letterman

• Please log in to reply

10892 replies to this topic

AerosolSpray

AerosolSpray

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 18, 2012 @ 12:37 AM

Why does Tom Cruise act like he's never been interviewed before? Did Sea Org reset his brain since his last press junket? What an awkward man.

noregrets

noregrets

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 18, 2012 @ 1:17 AM

Is Dave getting that old he didn't realize what he was saying during the Top 10 List? On a night when Tom Cruise is the guest, Dave does the joke, "You don't have to be gay to enjoy a cruise."

Tunia

Tunia

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 18, 2012 @ 12:47 PM

Kudos to Dave on his Newtown commentary.

Grommet

Grommet

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 18, 2012 @ 8:57 PM

I thought his commentary was really well done. I particularly liked that he had the staff look up the number of school shootings - an appallingly high number! - and that he mentioned the President's speech.

Tom Cruise is just horrible as a guest.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Dec 18, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

Dave was very eloquent.His words:"You drop your child off at school and that's the last time you see him, is that what we're about?" is a question that no one can seem to answer.
I'm bored by Tom Cruise-hey, Tom-the 90's called and they said to tell you you're not cool anymore.

jmslsu01

jmslsu01

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 18, 2012 @ 9:26 PM

Dave's the man. No question about it.

Check out this Extremely! Dramatic! Preview! of the big Dave-Oprah interrogation on January 6th.

Somewhere, Barbara Walters is weeping.

Edited by jmslsu01, Dec 18, 2012 @ 11:43 PM.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2012 @ 1:21 AM

It looks they might've filmed that Oprah interview at around the same time as the Ball State event.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2012 @ 7:19 AM

Tom Cruise just needs to sit his ass down for now. He has never been a good guest, even during the 1980s through the 2000s. He was always and shall be awkward in interviews.

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 3:57 AM

I saw a commercial on the Wednesday night show advertising an interview with Dave on Thursday's "CBS This Morning". Interviewer is Charlie Rose, and it looks like it is on Dave's set.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 12:13 PM

I saw a commercial on the Wednesday night show advertising an interview with Dave on Thursday's "CBS This Morning". Interviewer is Charlie Rose, and it looks like it is on Dave's set.

David Letterman on the business of being funny

jmslsu01

jmslsu01

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 1:36 PM

Fantastic clip, maryann. Thank you. If Dave isn't careful, people are going to think that he's Mr. Accessible.

Edited by jmslsu01, Dec 20, 2012 @ 1:37 PM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

I can already tell I'm going to have to watch Dave's segment on the Kennedy Center Honors at least twice. Once to see Dave's reactions, and a second time to concentrate on Regina. She will be on camera whenever he is. I'll finally really learn what she looks like after all these years. My DVR is set (I will be out of town). So help me, if it malfunctions in any way, I don't know what I'll do.

sourdoh

sourdoh

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 5:41 PM

What's going on? All these interviews! I figured Oprah going to Ball State was a tit for tat agreement for Dave to be on OWN but now he's on the CBS morning show! I know that it was Dave's choice to do the Oprah show, but I still feel bad just watching the preview. He is so private and now he is talking about the affair and blackmail. I can't help but feel protective of him.
The Charlie Rose clip had what looks to be a recent pic of Harry and Regina. Harry looks so grown up!

selhars

selhars

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 5:51 PM

I'm curious too.
Exactly why IS Dave doing all these interviews? Is he promoting something?
He's so private, I know a couple of interviews is not exactly over-exposure, but for him it does seem a bit strange.
He was on Jimmy Kimell just a couple of months ago.

Edited by selhars, Dec 20, 2012 @ 5:51 PM.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 7:10 PM

I found it rather sweet when he told Charlie that he wished or missed not having a little daughter. Regina has a great smile. Love those dimples.

jmslsu01

jmslsu01

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 11:18 PM

He is so private and now he is talking about the affair and blackmail. I can't help but feel protective of him.

He does look uncomfortable, but I'm sure he realized--or was told--that Oprah would ask such direct questions. Regis will (and has) asked open ended questions about life after the extortion, but never anything that was to the point.

(Even Barbara Walters never asked direct questions, I believe--although these articles saying that the Oprah interview or the Charlie Rose interview is the first time he's discussed his depression are incorrect--he talked about it at length during Walters's special on heart surgery.)

Edited by jmslsu01, Dec 20, 2012 @ 11:18 PM.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 11:59 PM

He does look uncomfortable, but I'm sure he realized--or was told--that Oprah would ask such direct questions.

And it probably would've been pretty hypocritical for there to be off-limits subjects when you consider the stuff Oprah discussed at the Ball State event.

AVorlon

AVorlon

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 6:51 AM

Loved the toy demonstrations, including the mechanical goldfish, Dave trying to bring down the Christmas tree, and especially those spider-like toys all dancnng in unison.

Looking forward to the Friday show, with the traditional guests. I've seen it many times before, but its a tradition. If one of the Jimmys takes over one of these years, I can't see him throwing a football at a giant meatball.

helenbaby

helenbaby

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 7:52 AM

I'm thinking that maybe the reason he's doing all these (2) interviews is that he might just realize that he does matter. To a lot of people. I felt bad for him when he was discussing his depression with Charlie. That's such a personal struggle. He actually seems content, finally.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

I know Katie Holmes is probably under a strict gag order, but she didn't have anything better to talk about than ice skating?

Fisher King

Fisher King

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 2:34 PM

Dave repeatedly crashing into the tree in the little car was one of the best things ever.

The photo of Harry and Regina was adorable. He looks just like Dave. Poor kid.

Grommet

Grommet

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 6:55 PM

I'm a couple of days behind, as always, but - oh how I love it when a guest really makes Dave laugh. Seth Rogen's "first you'd need a time machine" line had me laughing and Dave clearly found it genuinely amusing as well. Dave's curiosity about weed is oddly endearing.

Edited to add that I just watched the Charlie Rose interview. Very interesting. But again I made the mistake of reading the comments. I'm simply flabbergasted that Dave inspires such venom. I don't like, say, Arnold Schwarzenegger but I don't feel his affair made him an evil sexual predator.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to tonight's show. It's not Christmas without Jay Thomas and Darlene Love.

Edited by Grommet, Dec 21, 2012 @ 7:11 PM.

mumbles

mumbles

Fanatic

Posted Dec 22, 2012 @ 12:49 AM

Darlene Love was in great voice tonight. This is my favorite musical performance of the year, going back to the old NBC show. She has the wisdom to lower the key a little to suit the changes of her voice, which I wish more older performers would follow.

There's something I find sad about the yearly Jay Thomas visit. Dave looks uncomfortable during it, IMO.

Naomi Watts is a little better than her friend Nicole Kidman as a talk show guest - but not by much. Awk-ward.

stonehaven

stonehaven

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 22, 2012 @ 12:55 AM

I used to love Jay Thomas' visit as I loved him on Murphy Brown and the story was killer but this year, it seemed like it had melancholy to it and it also seemed like Jay sped through the anecdote..there seemed to be a rush to the punchline and that seemed sad...I'll give him kudos for knocking the meatball off the tree on the second time..

I adored the Weekend Late Show bit and even the one guy who said "'Sup?" to his family in the troop greetings...both were funnier than Jay's story this year...

I skipped the Naomi Watts segment as she holds no interest to me..

Darlene knocked it out of the park...missed Bruce Kepler on sax though..the new guy is okay but the snowglobe was a nice touch...

Does anyone know if the original Quarterback Challenge show is on You Tube? Is that also the first night of the Lone Ranger Story?

Edited by stonehaven, Dec 22, 2012 @ 12:57 AM.

couchspudstud

couchspudstud

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 22, 2012 @ 6:49 AM

They didn't add anything to the lone ranger story this year. Was it last year that they had the reenactment? I think every year they should add a little something to it, animation or video of some sort to change it up so it's not the same exact thing every year.

Balboa

Balboa

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 22, 2012 @ 9:00 AM

They should bring the "Lone Ranger" on with Jay next year. Loved watching Darlene's performance and Paul bouncing around in the background with his infectious energy.

Naomi Watts seemed odd last night. Was she nervous or is she always like that during interviews?

Edited by Balboa, Dec 22, 2012 @ 9:01 AM.

Fisher King

Fisher King

Fanatic

Posted Dec 22, 2012 @ 11:40 AM

Jay Thomas seemed annoyed to have to be there and rushed through the Lone Ranger bit.

Darlene Love was awesome as usual.

I missed much of the first half. Did Paul do his Cher impersonation?

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Dec 22, 2012 @ 11:41 AM

Fisher King, no, he didn't, and I miss it. But Paul's enthusiasm during "Christmas" is indeed contagious.

Edited by prairiegal, Dec 22, 2012 @ 11:42 AM.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted Dec 22, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

I was bothered that Thomas skipped over the secondary punchline. After The Lone Ranger says, "They'll believe me, citizen," the other guy, stunned, says "I didn't know it was you."

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Dec 22, 2012 @ 12:12 PM

While I love the story and the football toss, I think the night before, when Dave shows off the toys, is my favorite.It's Dave at his best-sarcastic comments about the cost of the toys(I mean, really, $15 for the little battery powered fishie?)and then reverting to an 8 year old boy with the car and the smashing into the tree.
By the way, Shannon the toy lady, cool red shoes.