Late Show with David Letterman

• Please log in to reply

10902 replies to this topic

Grommet

Grommet

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2012 @ 7:14 AM

Tuesday night's show was indeed excellent. There were enough genuinely funny remarks to keep it from getting too somber, but there was more than enough serious content to make it feel like a real interview. I'm biased, I guess, because I'm a Democrat, but I thought it was a great show. I also thought about how exciting it must have been for the audience, who would otherwise probably never see a president in person.

It was nice to see Orange again! I'm surprised Harry remembered about the stuffed cat.

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2012 @ 1:59 PM

I only wish Dave had left the orange cat on the empty chair for the interview. The President seemed startled when Dave said NO so intensely when he sat it on the chair.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2012 @ 3:52 PM

I also thought about how exciting it must have been for the audience, who would otherwise probably never see a president in person.

I thought the same thing, & hoped that those present who may be on a different side than the president's aisle, as it were, appreciated it also. Great interview. Dave shines when he's engaged intelligently.

Bezique

Bezique

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 21, 2012 @ 4:50 AM

Dave shines when he's engaged intelligently.

I absolutely agree. It must be not only soul but brain deadening to have to do these shows night after night. "So, tell me about your trip to Bali." Yawn.

Craig Ferguson is another man who does so much better with intelligent guests. I wish these two very smart hosts would realize that not everyone watches the Kardashians. There are a lot of us who appreciate intellectually stimulating and meaningful conversations.

stonehaven

stonehaven

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 21, 2012 @ 12:26 PM

So..really when is a podiatrist going too far?

Oh how I love those Weekend Late Show....

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2012 @ 9:55 AM

On the Emmys show, in the "In Memoriam" segment, it was very touching that the makeup artist Michele O'Callaghan was included and shown applying makeup to Dave. He must have lobbied hard for that.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 8:45 AM

makeup artist Michele O'Callaghan was included and shown applying makeup to Dave. He must have lobbied hard for that.

Aawww, I could see Dave doing that, too.

Could we have Steve Martin on 4 nights a week? He is so damn funny. "I'm honored to be sitting next to the guy sitting next to that guy." I saw him when I was 16 years old in 1979 when he was on the King Tut tour. First comedy show I ever saw live. He is still as brilliant as he was then. And I love how Dave has him on every year to award the banjo trophy & play with the winner. Fantastic show.

stonehaven

stonehaven

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

I loved how their segment turned from plugging Dave and his honor and Steve's DVD set to telling Johnny Carson tales. it just seem like they weren't trying to do a comedy bit but just talking amoungst themselves...plus, Steve and his banjo!!!! I can never get enough of his banjo..and from what I hear Steve is in the recording studio again.

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 11:06 AM

I loved the scene of Steve Martin learning about Dave's honor. Did you notice the big framed photograph behind Steve? Steve standing with George and Laura Bush at Steve's own ceremony.

Who was the first fake call from? The second one was Meryl Streep.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 12:47 PM

Who was the first fake call from? The second one was Meryl Streep.

It was from Steve's close friend, the great Martin Short.

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 2:17 PM

Thank you! I replayed, but still could not hear the name.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 10:46 PM

That gag with referee Alan last night was pitch-perfect.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2012 @ 1:51 AM

All week, I was reading in the British press that Letterman would make David Cameron look like an idiot.

And indeed he did.

http://www.telegraph...-red-faced.html

http://www.guardian....fd&CMP=SOCxx2I2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19739624

But I wish the interview took up the whole show, like when Obama would come.

I loved the way Dave handled that interview. I don't think anybody else could be as mischievous yet respectful.

(Cameron is a "conservative," yet probably more liberal than Obama on social issues.)

Sure, Cameron isn't really famous over here, but he's one of the big leaders on the world stage.

As I type this, it's about 8 am in London, and "David Cameron" and "magna carta" are trending worldwide on Twitter. And I'm wondering if this interview might have worldwide implications.

Edited by nowandlater, Sep 27, 2012 @ 2:17 AM.

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2012 @ 2:23 AM

Thanks, the show is still playing as I read this, and I did not see them correct the song attribution.

Favourite line in The Guardian article, referring to Dave: "yes, he's smarter than Jay Leno, but so are some crustaceans".

Edited by jjj, Sep 27, 2012 @ 2:24 AM.

JohnInUK

JohnInUK

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 27, 2012 @ 1:40 PM

What's probably less well known in the US is the rivalry that David Cameron and Boris Johnson (the Mayor of London) have. They were at University together, and although they're in the same party, it's pretty common knowledge that they don't like each other very much and are intensely jealous of each other - Johnson of Cameron's power, and Cameron of Johnson's mystifying (to me, anyway) popularity. Johnson is widely tipped to be the next Conservative party leader and potentially Prime Minister (which horrifies me, but this forum isn't about politics I guess).

Anyway, after Mayor Johnson appeared on the Late Show a few months ago, I thought it would only be a matter of time before Cameron appeared. And so it was to be - the man's ego wouldn't be able to take his rival appearing on a popular US chat show, while he's still a pretty much unknown over in the States.

I've not watched the interview yet (the Late Show still doesn't broadcast in the UK, so I have to find 'other means' of watching) but it's not made much of a splash over here. There were the stories quoted above, and a period on Twitter where Cameron and Letterman were trending, but people have already stopped talking about it.

Cameron is incredibly unpopular over here as it is, so I can't see an interview on a show that most Britons won't watch doing him any further damage. There is a school of thought that he deliberately fluffed the questions so as to display a more 'common touch' (he's thought of over here as remote from ordinary people as Romney) - but if that's the case it's backfired somewhat as people are wondering why a man who studied Latin at school doesn't know what Magna Carta means....

Edited by JohnInUK, Sep 27, 2012 @ 1:40 PM.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

I've not watched the interview yet (the Late Show still doesn't broadcast in the UK, so I have to find 'other means' of watching) but it's not made much of a splash over here.

See if this works. Or just search "letterman" on youTube.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=WcdpMxkyk38

And thanks for the perspective.

Edited by nowandlater, Sep 27, 2012 @ 1:56 PM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2012 @ 3:34 PM

I get a podcast of a Radio 4 news program (or programme) every day, and they did a long segment on it this morning. They played clips & had panelists in to discuss the appearance. They seemed to think Cameron's office made a mistake because Letterman is too tough an interviewer, and that he'd be better off on Leno. Meanwhile that's clear across the country & Cameron was in NY for the UN thing. In other words, I wasn't much impressed with their experts.

Balboa

Balboa

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 7:49 AM

I could watch Dave and Regis together every night. You can tell they really respect one another.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 1:05 PM

That first segment w/Regis was gold. Actually, the whole appearance was stellar, and makes up for Dreesen, who for me is like putting up w/one of Dave's friends out of loyalty to Dave.

GaryE

GaryE

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 1:28 PM

the weird part about Regis for me is everytime I see his name on the guest list I roll my eyes and say "Again?" And then everytime I totally get sucked into the interview :)

CattyTiger

CattyTiger

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 2:00 PM

Dave, Regis and Tom - Geezer Night. It was great! I've gotten used to Dressen, and I think it's great that Dave has his friend on to make a little money.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 2:17 PM

Love it when Dave tried to push Regis' buttons about the suits over at LIVE pushing and squeezing him out the door.

Grommet

Grommet

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 5:40 PM

The new books segment the other night set off a ping in my aging brain: wasn't there some sort of library lady segment years ago? Can anyone refresh my memory on that?

I wonder if "Steve and Dave's gay vacation" will be part of the DVD set. I loved that piece. I too enjoyed their stories about Carson, because it felt like listening to a couple of old friends chatting. "New. Different." sounded like classic Johnny to me. I'd love to know who that was about.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 5:46 PM

Gruff but loveable Gus drove the forklift that had the librarian on it for that segment, but I can't remember the librarian's name.

GaryE

GaryE

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 11:41 AM

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Grommet

Grommet

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 7:20 PM

Thanks, GaryE! My favorite part of that was the fact that Dave was obsessing about "those weasels across the hall" - it made me realize that he hasn't changed all that much in the 30 years I've been watching him.

I just watched Thursday night's show with Jimmy Fallon. I really enjoyed it. His Neil Young impression was great!

kib

kib

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 12:02 AM

Gruff but loveable Gus drove the forklift that had the librarian on it for that segment, but I can't remember the librarian's name.

The NBC Bookmobile lady was played by the late Kathleen Ankers, an award winning Scenic Designer who was responsible for "Late Show" set.

Edited by kib, Oct 1, 2012 @ 12:17 AM.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2012 @ 9:04 AM

Paul Shaffer might be a bit too literal in his staging.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Oct 2, 2012 @ 9:43 AM

Those silks performers were up there the whole time, right? I wish someone who was at the taping was there to say if they were up there for the whole show. It was nice of Dave to allow a tribute for the 30th anniversary of Paul's one big hit. Colbert is always a great guest, and I knew there would be funny Oprah talk.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2012 @ 10:12 AM

I love that Dave gave the end segment as a tribute to Paul & his song. Martha Wash sounds better now thaen she did 30 years ago!

Dave obviously thought Theresa Caputo, the LI medium, was full of shit. So do I.

Love Stephen Colbert & love him w/ Dave- when Dave is engaged w/ a guest on the level of his own intelligence (or greater), he is amazing.