Late Show with David Letterman

• Please log in to reply

10892 replies to this topic

beezer

beezer

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

There have been other animals but dogs just tend to be more reliable and less spookable.

There was a parrot that pooed on the rug iirc (that was not its trick), I remember vaguely a goat that did something and there's the famous duck that ate cottage cheese out of its person's mouth (that WAS its trick).

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 6:10 PM

Referring back to Don Rickles' visit last week:I was just looking at USA Today's page and an article about Mr Rickles receiving the Johnny Carson award.He says Dave is the closest to Johnny Carson in style.He also said Dave is a "sweet" man who dines with him after his appearances on the LS. Lastly,Mr Rickles also said that Dave called him to express his condolences when Don's son Larry died at 41 in Dec 2011. I didn't know he had lost a son, that's so tragic. It sounds as if Don and Dave's onair rapport has led to a nice friendship.

Edited by prairiegal, May 7, 2012 @ 6:10 PM.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:43 PM

Those were some weird wizard sleeves Ripa was rocking.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:40 PM

All that talk about Scott Pelley makes me suspect that CBS has voiced irritation with how often he's having Brian Williams on. That was fifth time he's been on in little more than a year.

I also found it odd that they had Adam Scott on last night promoting Parks & Recreation the week after the finale aired. I guess after he fanboyed out with Poehler, he just wants to get the whole cast on to voice his appreciation.

Edited by alynch, May 15, 2012 @ 11:43 PM.

stonehaven

stonehaven

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 9:18 AM

I was all set to enjoy Brian Williams...or should I say tolerate his smugness when Dave asked him out of the blue ,"Has she had worked done" in reference to Diane Sawyer...

I found it incredibly sexist that two men could do that...and yeah, I know women talk about stuff like that a lot..and we harm our genders repuation more often than not, but Dave's sexist remark really irked me as this was someone supposedly respected in her field..not some famewhore on a reality show but an accomplished woman who paid her dues in a male dominated field for years...

There were other things that have irked me about Dave's whole show as of late...and without going into detail, I'll just say the obvious laziness in his monologue and other bits that seem more obvious now than they've been under the surface.

This latest comment really makes me want to stop watching the show for a while as I don't want to waste my attention on someone that apparently doesn't give a rat's ass that women, some GOPers might watch..or hell, fans of decent comedy might watch.

I think "Big Bang Theory" reruns might be funnier.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 10:40 AM

Yeah, I was bothered by that too. The only explanation I can think of is that he was just trying to make Williams uncomfortable, kind of like how he asked Ripa the previous night if Regis was an asshole.

beezer

beezer

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

I know it may sound strange, but I don't think the 'work' comment had anything to do with Sawyer being female.

Obviously, she is and she's beautiful - however, I think he'd have said exactly the same about a similarly handsome and well-aged male anchor as I think it was to throw Williams.

It just didn't read as sexist to me at all (didn't even occur to me until I came here) because he's kind of equal opportunity wrt appreciating attractiveness and making disparaging remarks and always has been. He told Bonnie Hunt she shouldn't have cast George Clooney because it's not smart to hire someone prettier than you to stand next to you on television. I mean... I think he'd be just as likely, were Hunt on, to ask if she thinks Clooney has had work done, if you see what I mean. Had nothing to do with Sawyer's sex, imo, just her attractiveness and messing with Williams.

As to the rest of the interview, what surprised me was the blatant calling out of Cheney going into Iraq for his own purporses. I enjoyed it and wished he'd pressed Williams on it, especially given Williams was playing neutral.

jmslsu01

jmslsu01

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

The gay jokes are what's really annoying me. They're just not that funny. And c'mon--jokes about Dave being gay?

And those stupid video clips inserted into the monologue. Just awful.

However, I am looking forward to seeing Conan on the show tonight.

Edited by jmslsu01, May 17, 2012 @ 9:18 PM.

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 2:07 AM

Wow, did Conan's gag order just end? He sure had a lot to say that I haven't heard, and with such verve. Please come back to talk antiquing with Dave.

Bezique

Bezique

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 6:20 AM

Conan has aged into a unattractive man. His bitterness doesn't help. It would have been so much classier of both of these very rich and successful men not to mention NBC and, especially, Leno, who really did nothing wrong besides wanting to keep a job he loved.

Edited by Bezique, May 18, 2012 @ 6:21 AM.

kib

kib

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 10:21 AM

Conan is fine. If there was anything wrong with his appearance it was the oft-mentioned complaint about the talk turning to kids, however unlike so many other guests he offered a fairly entertaining story.

If only Leno did nothing wrong other than want to keep his job...

Edited by kib, May 18, 2012 @ 11:27 AM.

jmslsu01

jmslsu01

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

If I was bored and hungry, I would snap at Justin Bieber if he fooled with my hair.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

Rob Burnett did an Ask Me Anything. Some moderately interesting stuff in there.

beezer

beezer

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 3:54 PM

The gag order must have expired - and yay. Because, damn. That was highly entertaining. I love Dave's glee at the whole thing unfolding and at Leno's personality and machiavellian tendancies coming to the fore once again - the whole 'oh yeah, that's the Leno I know,' thing.

Also did like the kid story. That is the correct response to Justin Bieber.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 3:59 PM

I loved every minute of Dave and Conan. Two truly funny, smart men. Unlike that fat-headed fuck on NBC now. Karma ... where are you?

BondGirl

BondGirl

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 8:45 PM

I thought the Conan interview was great. They didn't bash Jay as much as I thought they would, and I loved the story about his kid.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 10:24 AM

I loved every minute of Dave and Conan. Two truly funny, smart men. Unlike that fat-headed fuck on NBC now. Karma ... where are you?

Finally watched my DVR of the show last night & I loved every bit of it. Conan didn't bash The Chin, & Dave was almost giddy. I even liked Conan's story about his kid meeting the president. Great show.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 12:42 PM

I enjoyed the Sacha Baron Cohen interview. It was nice to see him as himself. I giggled through the clip of the movie. I had to think about who SBC reminded me of. I realized it was Freddie Mercury. He is supposed play Freddie in a bio-pic. I think, looks-wise, it is really good casting.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 6:05 PM

How did Dave's talent bookers make such an epic fail as to not get Mick Jagger on last week when he was hosting SNL? At the very (very) least, they should've had him do a Top 10 list.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 9:46 PM

How did Dave's talent bookers make such an epic fail as to not get Mick Jagger on last week when he was hosting SNL? At the very (very) least, they should've had him do a Top 10 list.

The SNL host, I would think, is exclusive to NBC all week. So why would they lend him out to CBS?

The work week starts on Monday and ends early Sunday morning, plus Jagger was the host and musical guest and he even filmed a sketch that didn't air.

So he was extremely busy.

Usually the SNL guests appear on Jimmy Fallon the Thursday they are hosting.

Besides, I don't believe it's a rare thing for Jagger to be in New York City, so they could try to get him for another week.

AVorlon

AVorlon

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 4:07 AM

I don't watch Glee, but I do want to say, nice dress!

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 2:08 PM

The SNL host, I would think, is exclusive to NBC all week.

Definitely not. He has SNL hosts on the show all the time.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 4:25 PM

Definitely not. He has SNL hosts on the show all the time.

I do think it's pretty rare at least to have them on the same week that they're hosting. I just did a quick check, and it's only happened twice in the last three seasons (Jason Segel this season and Alec Baldwin two years ago). They usually do Fallon.

I don't watch Glee, but I do want to say, nice dress!

HD is nice.

jmslsu01

jmslsu01

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 10:28 PM

Regis is guest hosting Piers Morgan Tonight next Tuesday. He's interviewing Dave.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 10:57 PM

He also did an interview for Alec Baldwin's podcast. If he's not careful, he's going to tarnish his reputation for being press-shy.

Edited by alynch, May 22, 2012 @ 10:57 PM.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 12:39 AM

There's something about the Smith children going into showbiz so young that I find very off-putting, plus the ties to Scientology, that now Will Smith is just kind of a creep like Tom Cruise, and his likability is just an act like a serial killer luring you into his van.

jmslsu01

jmslsu01

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 9:31 AM

alynch, Alec Baldwin interviewed him for his Here's The Thing podcast? Has it been uploaded yet?

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

It hasn't been uploaded yet, but Baldwin said on his Twitter feed that he interviewed him.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 5:29 PM

Way too much of the screaming girl clip. I was starting to get irritated. I hope there isn't any more of that. I know Dave likes to repeat the same joke over and over again. Normally, I don't mind. In this case, it was very annoying.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 6:23 PM

I saw the Dave and Conan stuff the other day and I just can't help but feel like I was watching two guys with sour grapes. I really love Conan but enough is enough with this crap. Financially speaking, Conan made out just fine in the deal. I completely get that he feels like his career took a hit and he got screwed. And I agree that he got screwed but talking earnestly about how he had a makeshift office at a diner is completely ridiculous. He could of bought that diner and turned it into an office for the day and then left it there to rot and it wouldn't have made a dent in his wallet. And don't even get me started on Dave and his refusal to let his grudge go. That crap happened decades ago. Move on and let it go. Maybe if it didn't seem like Dave lays in bed thinking about this shit every other night I could laugh at his jokes. But his jokes just seem malicious at this point like he's trying to get some kind of revenge.

Edited by MV007, May 23, 2012 @ 6:26 PM.