Late Show with David Letterman

• Please log in to reply

10892 replies to this topic

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 1:47 PM

Happy 65th birthday, Dave. Please don't hang it up until I get to see a taping!

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 5:29 PM

Happy Birthday David! I was thinking about the last time Dave was on the Tonight Show when Johnny was still the host, Johnny asked him if he saw himself hosting his show for 30 years, whereupon Dave broke into hysterical laughter, and Johnny smiled and said "I'll take that as a no".
Well, he's made that milestone and will add to it.Where does the time go?

ikar

ikar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:14 AM

Just catching up on my dvr, love Gervais when he comes and sits with Dave. Was he for real, that they're doing another Karl "trip around the world" show with Warwick Davis -- and both of them on a bike? And Karl's doing all the pedaling? I was just howling at that.

I guess I'll catch the birthday ep tomorrow. So great to still have Dave around now, and for a few more years.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:26 AM

I'm catching up as well, but I am caught up on Gervais' via twitter. Yes, the new show is called Short Way Round, as opposed to the Ewan McGregor Long Way Round show. I understood that it was just biking around Britain, and just a one off special, but I may be wrong about that.

Balboa

Balboa

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 4:00 PM

Loved Biff's segment at the Yankees spring training.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:51 PM

Biff is always gold with the Yankees! He makes them bearable to me ( a Rangers' fan.)

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 8:36 PM

My parents won tickets to a taping through the Late Show newsletter, but they only gave them 3 days notice so it was impossible for them to make it to New York in time. And the show shouldn't let them change the date. It kinda sucked.

kib

kib

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

My parents won tickets to a taping through the Late Show newsletter, but they only gave them 3 days notice so it was impossible for them to make it to New York in time. And the show shouldn't let them change the date. It kinda sucked.

I'm very sympathetic. Essentially the same thing happened to me.

While I understand the Late Show staff have a TV show to do and their main audience concern it simply getting butts in the Ed Sullivan Theater seats, 72 hours notice to book a flight and get a room from Anytown USA to NYC is a lot to ask of someone. Yeah, it kinda sucks.

Yet somehow it gets accomplished.
"Anyone here from out of town? You'll be pleased to know there's someone going through the mini-bar in your hotel room even as we speak"

Roseha

Roseha

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:45 PM

When Dave made that joke tonight speculating about the Kardashian wedding guests "throwing Minute Rice" I thought to myself that that joke must be 40 years old.

Then Dave says "That's the the only joke older than I am!" Indeed!

Edited by Roseha, Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:47 PM.

stonehaven

stonehaven

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:08 AM

I loved the Trampled By Turtles song last night.

Been having fun downloading performances from Letterman by various artists to my PC..So far, I have Foo Fighters, Macca, Steve Martin and Earl Scruggs..and all the U2 stuff..and John Fogerty.I even saved the one Top Ten I have saved on my VHS tape(yeah, I'm one of those!).the Micheal Buble one "Least popular standards".

I am crushed that the video of John Denver doing his Rocky Mountain High parody is gone though due to copyright issues apparently....I did find a rare appearance by Johnny Rivers on Letterman from ages ago..I wish Dave would have Rivers on again...He's still making great music and I can totally hear Paul and the band have a blast with the redux of Midnight Special from a years ago.

So, this TBT performance will be saved as well..

Edited by stonehaven, Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:12 AM.

kib

kib

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 8:36 PM

On another musical note (ohhh, I made a funny) it appears longtime CBS Orchestra Saxophonist Bruce Kapler is no longer with the show. "Pursue other interests" was the reason given.

Thanks for all the great work over the years.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:06 AM

Was there a glitch in my DVR last night, or did the broadcast go from Dave saying "My next guests are a rock & roll b" to a shot of the horn player starting the song? And was their song sampling a U2 melody, or are they just making music in that same vein?

Dave was really cranky about not getting to introduce his understudy; I can't even imagine how pissed he was if there was a screw up with the band intro too.

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:41 AM

Yes, I also clearly heard that glitch during the broadcast, and for a second I thought that I had hit the channel changer by mistake. If they were trying to save five seconds of air time, they could have cut the throwaway sentence that preceded the botched band introduction. I watched it as it was broadcast, not via DVR, so it is not a DVR issue.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 12:18 PM

Whatever the glitch was, they didn't correct for the online version either. The video at CBS.com has the same skip when he's introducing the band. The only thing I can come up with is that the camera must have failed right then and there.

beezer

beezer

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:07 PM

Wasn't a glitch, was a joke.

Remember earlier in the show, when he was explaining he was upset about the "botched" introduction of his "understudy" because he couldn't just have people walking on, just showing up - and Rob Lowe just walked out, sans introduction?

They just kept the gag rolling through the musical segment intro.

sourdoh

sourdoh

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 4:58 PM

I was happy to hear Dave speak so positively about "Parks and Recreation." It's one of my favorite shows and I like that Dave and I like the same things. It does make me laugh that Dave is always a few years behind things, like when he was talking to Megan Mullally about 'Party Down' because he had just discovered it.

Grommet

Grommet

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 6:20 PM

I find it funny that Dave is watching these shows because he got an Ipad.

I'm finally reading Merrill Markoe's latest book and just read the "Bobby" piece. Yikes. I hadn't ever really thought about how hard it must have been for her, both during the initial break up and then during the Stephanie incident. The essay was really funny, in an awful sort of way. I love Dave but he's really quite a cad.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 7:41 PM

I also think it's funny that he asked Megan Mullally if she was funny on Will & Grace, when she the breakout character, and he seems to have forgotten Megan guest hosted The Late Show years ago and is just discovering her now.

Balboa

Balboa

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 1:49 PM

Don Rickles + Regis Philbin + David Letterman = Comedy Gold. Loved last nights show.

OhioSongbird

OhioSongbird

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 12:38 PM

Ditto that Balboa! I tape Dave & Craig every night and rarely get to watch but Mr. Songbird and I watched yesterday and laughed our butts off. I would watch Don read the phone book and with Reeg and Dave it was priceless.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:29 PM

Thought it was sweet when Don told Dave that he is carrying on the tradition of Johnny Carson and Dave lowered his head and said no. Dave is still just a humble kid from Indiana in many ways.
I want Dave, Don, and Regis to come to my house and sit on my couch. Awesome.

couchspudstud

couchspudstud

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:11 AM

[I want Dave, Don, and Regis to come to my house and sit on my couch.

Do you want them to take their pants off or leave them on?

I think all this week's shows have been pretty good. I loved tonight's stupid pet tricks. The bulldog riding the horse was awesome. I wonder now if Johnny Galecki is going to have to tell the struck my lightning story everytime he's on the show.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Sep 14, 2012 @ 12:58 AM.
Fixed quote tags

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:58 AM

I was a bit concerned about Rickles. He's always had an unusual gait, but walking out on the stage it really looked like there was something wrong with his hip. He's also nowhere near as sharp as he used to be, but I still enjoy his appearances very much. I just hope he's okay.

jmslsu01

jmslsu01

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 7:53 PM

I just looked up Rickles's age. He's 85! Dave helped him a bit up the steps. In fact, I thought he was being a little too solicitous, and that Rickles would object and call him on it, as some elderly people do if they think you're making too big of a fuss. But he seems very fond of Dave. I'm not a fan of his insult humor, but I enjoy his appearances on the show.

Edited by jmslsu01, May 3, 2012 @ 7:55 PM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

I loved the bulldog riding the hobby horse and the double dutch dog. Two stellar tricks!

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

Question for the really longtime Dave watchers, has "Stupid Pet Tricks" always basically been "Stupid Dog Tricks" or did there use to be a bit more variety in pet selection?

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

Oh, yes, there have been other animals in the past -- certainly cats. And someone here will remember that there was an incident with a bird that would not do anything once on stage. I remember Dave constantly asking for the rest of the show -- did we pay for them to fly here? Did anyone check this out ahead of time?

sourdoh

sourdoh

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:31 AM

I loved that bulldog too. And his facial expression (what there was of it) was just perfect. The sleepy looking eyes, his acceptance of Dave jostling his jowls. He was great.

I think I remember seeing a bird on stupid pet tricks, but I don't remember any cats. I always figured that cats would get too spooked by the audience and music. I hate the few occasions when an animal has been visibly scared by applause or music, it makes me feel so bad for them. Maybe I'm too sensitive. lol

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

I can remember that klepto cat from California that Dave had on as a guest with its owners. The guy walks out with the fat stealing kitty in his hands as the audience rips into normal applause and the cat is not really spooked.

The cat seemed comfortable sitting on the guys lap and it is not in its usual environment. My cat gets nervous when the doorbell rings. Looks like I will never get the Letterman gig.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 1:05 PM

What's up with Letterman apologizing to "The View"? Barbara Walters is like 90, is she really offended by a joke that she is a boner killer? Jeez.