Late Show with David Letterman

• Please log in to reply

10892 replies to this topic

Balboa

Balboa

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 8:33 AM

So anybody have any opinions on the Weekend Late Show?

I've honestly never laughed once at that segment. Just another unfunny bit that Dave's going to run into the ground as he did with "Will it Float?".

beezer

beezer

Stalker

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 11:00 PM

I actually found the Weekend Late Show to be fairly inspired and amusing. I like the visual of it - that they're so banal and crammed in together behind his desk with the sunnier WLS tchotchkes all over the desk - and I find it amusing given Dave started with a morning show.

I like that they've kept it too actually. They check in with whatsisname and Linda every Friday, as one would.

mamiesan

mamiesan

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 11:18 PM

I think the Weekend Late Show is just a funny wink at all the local, craptastic weekend "news" shows. And in the last WLS show preview, I thought it particularly funny that Linda said they'd have all the latest school closings....you know, on a weekend show.

Grommet

Grommet

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:11 AM

I like the WLS bits but then I like Will it Float and Is This Anything. I prefer those types of segments to the monologue.

I FFed through all the swimsuit model stuff. I used to feel that I had to watch every minute of the show so I wouldn't miss anything, but not so much anymore. I've been watching for 30 years and have seen more than enough interviews with vapid celebrities. Viola Davis may have laughed too much but at least she was interesting.

I so love that Dave keeps harping on Mitt Romney tying his dog's crate to the top of his car. Who does that??

Bezique

Bezique

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:13 AM

Mitt Romney tying his dog's crate to the top of his car. Who does that??

Cruel people.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 1:22 PM

I love the Weekend Late Show-the actors are spot on with recreating the overly cheery,bordering on dippy, hosts of those types of shows.

Mibbitmaker

Mibbitmaker

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 11:02 PM

Add me to the list of people who love the Weekend Late Show bits. I see them as a subtle throwback to the old Late Night with Dave bits that ribbed TV (rather than overblown, idiot celebrities and politicians) with a knowing wink. My favorite is when the guy had an inexplicable black eye (my apologies if it was real!) through the whole thing, with Dave commenting on it afterwards. Paul's pointing out things lately is funny, too.

One of Steve O'Donnell's bits, maybe?

beezer

beezer

Stalker

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 2:03 AM

Otters!!!!

That is all.

couchspudstud

couchspudstud

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 5:11 AM

I also love the weekend late show and might actually watch it if it were an actual show.
I think Jack Hanna has brought an armadillo on before, someone must have told him about what Dave's been saying and asked him to bring it. I wish Jack Hanna would bring his live show to Atlanta.

pandora spock

pandora spock

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 11:17 AM

No more Charlie Callas clips! I found him tedious and annoying enough when he was alive. Was laughing like an asthmatic seal his only talent?

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 8:26 PM

pandora spock, love your user name and I'm old enough to get the reference.And,yes, Charlie Callas was indeed annoying and tedious during my childhood and teenage years, so I certainly don't want to see him now.I'm sure he was a nice man, but sheesh...
Dave and Jack should take their act on the road and I smiled all day at "armadillos cause leprosy".

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

I think the Weekend Late Show is just a funny wink at all the local, craptastic weekend "news" shows. And in the last WLS show preview, I thought it particularly funny that Linda said they'd have all the latest school closings....you know, on a weekend show.

Also, on a late show.

I'm indifferent to the bits (they certainly don't annoy me as much as, say, Mike Singletary), but at least there's a logical reason Dave can't run it into the ground by doing it every night. Remember when he'd do Fun Facts and Small Town News every. Single. SHOW?

Balboa

Balboa

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 8:41 PM

I miss the CBS Mailbag segments. Anyone know why he doesn't do them anymore? It's been at least six or seven years.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

I miss Lyle The Intern. Why'd that actor have to go and get a career? Selfish bastard.

I love the Mike Singletary bits, especially since they only seem to exist due to Singletary's uncanny resemblance to the show's receptionist. The first time they did it, I actually thought it was Singletary and was confused as to why he'd participate in such a weirdo gag. I think I might've even written about it in this thread, only to be corrected that it wasn't him.

Edited by alynch, Feb 21, 2012 @ 9:19 PM.

Brownstone

Brownstone

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 1:50 AM

# I thought the Morning Joe Guy was kind of strange with his Leno crack, not to mention disloyal to NBC. Odd. Leno won't let that go.

# WLS: Linda mentioned there would be tips on how to keep squirrels out of the bird feeder. I would like to see that.

jmslsu01

jmslsu01

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 12:45 PM

Sign me up for the Late Show cruise. And count me in as a Weekend Late Show fan. It's not slap-your-knee funny, but they really do get the inanity of weekend morning shows (which are even lamer than weekday morning shows). I get a kick out of it every Friday. The show seems to be in good spirits--I've liked the recent Top 10 lists, monologues have been pretty good, and Dave seems more willing to do bits away from the desk (FIRE HOST).

Balboa, I enjoyed the CBS Mailbag until it turned into an opportunity for Dave and Stephanie to fool around (on the air, figuratively speaking). What was that stupid bit-Mr. Carny and Vicky?

Of course, that little matter wouldn't be a problem anymore. So bring it on!

(Or maybe that was the Know Your.... bit. She was in that too.)

Edited by jmslsu01, Feb 25, 2012 @ 1:10 PM.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 2:04 AM

Yeah Dave, that football idea is pretty stupid. It reminded me of one of my favorite Norm Macdonald jokes (5:10 in the video).

stonehaven

stonehaven

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:45 AM

I adored last night's Top Ten list of bad acceptance speeches...Almost everyone made me laugh...and that's a rarity these days...and I wonder what happened to the rest of that plate of muffins..

jmslsu01

jmslsu01

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 8:49 PM

Last night's Top 10 was terrific, but what was even better was Dave's rant about the Academy Awards. Even better than that-Dave ranting about his hosting stint. Hospitals had to reschedule surgeries! Clergymen were weeping!

Grommet

Grommet

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 10:21 PM

The Weekend Late Show bits are getting better and better, I think. I had no idea March was Noodle Month!

I've also been enjoying Dave's reaction to Rick Santorum, a mix of a comedian's glee at having such a great target and a thinking person's concern about his views ("man on dog," Rick, really??).

Brownstone

Brownstone

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 1:15 AM

I somehow missed Brue & Linda on WLS.
Thought I'd seen most of the show.

kib

kib

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 1:03 PM

Largely irrelevant post of the week: I was listening to my local community radio station, low and behold they play the Biff Henderson walk-on music. For 100 Internet Points, redeemable at the Internet Gift Shop, name the song and artist...

[EDIT: As long as we're talking about the band, I haven't seen Sid McGinnis or Bruce Kapler for weeks. Hope everything's OK]

Edited by kib, Mar 5, 2012 @ 1:32 PM.

AVorlon

AVorlon

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 4:16 AM

I've often wondered about the Biff walk-on music myself, and I even posed that question here before, and got no response. Another question would be....why did they choose that for Biff?

While I'm at it, his real name can't possibly be Biff, can it?

Edited by AVorlon, Mar 7, 2012 @ 4:20 AM.

kib

kib

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 9:39 AM

I've often wondered about the Biff walk-on music myself, and I even posed that question here before, and got no response. Another question would be....why did they choose that for Biff?

And the answer to our musical question is: "Milestones" by Miles Davis
As to the choice, I'm guessin' one of two reasons. Biff's longevity being on the staff or (which I think is more likely) Shaffer asked Biff (James Jackson Henderson Jr) what he wanted for play-on music and Biff said something along the lines of "Ahhh, I don't know.. just play some Miles"

Edited by kib, Mar 7, 2012 @ 9:44 AM.

Brownstone

Brownstone

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 3:46 PM

http://mobile.twitte...GerardMulligan1
Mulligan had a play-off too?

You hear the Biff quite a bit on PBS jazz broadcasts.

How many weeks does Dave get: I'd say about 12? I don't think he ever works more than 5 straight weeks.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 4:20 PM

The general pattern is three weeks of new shows followed by a week of reruns. For the sweeps months (November, February, and May), he does new shows all the way through. He also typically takes a two week break just prior to the fall TV season. It averages out to about 39-40 new weeks per year. When you factor that in along with the March Madness half weeks and the recent tactic of airing Friday repeats during summer, Dave easily has more days off than any of the other hosts.

Edited by alynch, Mar 7, 2012 @ 5:30 PM.

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 5:12 PM

I balance that against missing one show during the NBC days (guest hosted by Larry "Bud" Melman). Plus, with Harry around, I'd want to have more time off, too.

Angora Deb

Angora Deb

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 7:52 PM

Why, oh why, did Kathy Griffin disrobe? Taking things too far isn't automatically funny or shocking. I say this as someone who usually likes her. Poor Simon Helberg having to awkwardly go on after that.

ETA: Joseph Arthur was excellent.

Edited by Angora Deb, Mar 8, 2012 @ 7:59 PM.

jmslsu01

jmslsu01

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 4:24 PM

Yay-back to new shows tonight.

Something else to look forward to: Michelle Obama will be a guest on the March 19 show.

This will be her first visit to the show.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 5:01 PM

IMO Michele Obama is a perfect guest for Dave- brilliant, witty, funny, & focused on important things in life, instead of the Kim Kardashians he normally has to have on. Can't wait to see it.