Late Show with David Letterman

• Please log in to reply

10892 replies to this topic

Skategrrl

Skategrrl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 9:49 PM

NBC feels Leno is fresh?

So that's why Leno is doing a complete rip-off of "Stupid Pet Tricks" AND "Stupid Human Tricks."

God, I hate NBC execs.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 3:18 AM

God I love "old time entertainers," I am not a big fan of Bette Midler, either her music or her acting but she is such a charming guest. Not to mention a truly classy move mentioning that Rosemary Clooney deserved the Grammy.

hitchhiker

hitchhiker

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 6:35 PM

Just watched Monday's show and hearing Les Moonves grovel was hilarious. Dave had a sarcastic gleem in his eyes the whole time they were on the phone.

Last night's CBS Mailbag actually made me laugh with the Manute Bol bit. I didn't expect him to get in the shower. Poor George.

I can't believe it's been four years since Dave's surgery.

hughster

hughster

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 8:13 PM

Is it just me, or is Dave's utter disdain for President Bush becoming more and more obvious lately? Sure, he takes shots at Howard Dean and the other Democrats, but his stabs at Bush - like the "reality show" bit the other night - seem much more cutting. And a hell of a lot sharper and more insightful than anything Leno would dream up.

tvjunkie

tvjunkie

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 9:30 PM

I think he just gets whomever is in the office. Clinton was just slammed for sex which can only be so edgy. Bush gets slammed for stupidity, which has a edge to it.

I love the unfair edits.

malm3

malm3

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2004 @ 2:13 AM

I think the jokes about Bush are harsher than the ones about the Democrats running just because there is so much more material to criticize Bush for and make jokes out of. I really liked the one Dave said tonight about the space thing (paraphrasing) "I'm thinking the moon's alright, but how about we go to Afghanistan and find bin Laden?". And the "Where does Bush think he's getting money to go to Mars?" on the Top Ten.

The past week or so it's seemed like all the media is talking about mars yay! while I've been scratching my head trying to figure out why no one is standing up and shouting "You idiot! We have no money!". So even the smallest comments that Dave makes about how dumb it is to be focusing on space at this time make me very happy.

I also love the unfair edits. And I still love Will It Float. The ridiculous and pointless bits are part of what I like about Dave's show. I wish they'd do the referee (sp?) or Footlocker employee one again.

hughster

hughster

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2004 @ 3:19 AM

I think he just gets whomever is in the office.

Oh, I agree, but Dave's tone lately strikes me as going beyond the normal let's-make-fun-of-the-prominent-flaw-of-the-guy-in-office humor that's the stock in trade of, say, Leno. Like tonight. While the joke about Howard Dean being short was pretty mild and inoffensive, the "joke" about money spent on Mars versus looking for bin Laden was barely even a joke, and more a political statement. It just seems clear to me that Dave's contempt for Bush is barely even hidden any more. Not that it bothers me, mind you - I'm more than happy to see the media expose Bush, for a change - but it surprises me to see him reveal his political leanings so discernible. Then again, with Leno's cheerleading for Schwarzenegger maybe Dave felt free to speak his mind.

Halfpint Ingals

Halfpint Ingals

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2004 @ 7:23 PM

Last night I was taping over some old shows from early 90s and was randomly taping Letterman. During the show and tell with audience, we could not believe it. remember Mackie Smith who did the singing and ear pop ? We live near Erskine college and my sister goes to school and works there. She has seen him around and he has been our church a few times (a lot of college students go.) Anyways a prof always takes students on a January tour and one day they had signs on Today show and last night letterman. How cool.

Edited by Halfpint Ingals, Jan 18, 2004 @ 2:43 PM.

MC SammyD

MC SammyD

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2004 @ 9:10 PM

Was there a reason that Christina Aguilera was on Dave last night? It's not often that someone is the lead guest on a talk show with absolutely nothing to promote but a year old album. It's not like she's even done anything lately. I thought maybe she was going to be there to promote her tour DVD which was supposed to be coming out soon, but I found out it got pushed back to April, and they never even mentioned it, anyway. So did she just not have anything else to do or am I missing something? And the song she sang, "Walk Away", isn't even going to be a single. It just completely surprised me to see her as the guest last night when she didn't have anything to promote. I'm not complaining because I think she's a talented girl and love her album, but it was just weird.

Edited by MC SammyD, Jan 17, 2004 @ 9:11 PM.

malm3

malm3

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 1:20 AM

I was wondering the same thing, MC SammyD. The only thing I can think of is maybe they had her on because she was nominated for a bunch of Grammys. Dave mentioned that a couple times.

MC SammyD

MC SammyD

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 1:02 PM

The only thing I can think of is maybe they had her on because she was nominated for a bunch of Grammys.

That makes sense. But Christina is scheduled to perform on the Grammy's, and doesn't NARAS have some sort of policy on their performers performing on other shows within a month or so prior to the awards? I know that when the American Music Awards used to air in January, performers at that show couldn't perform at the Grammy's. And I remember watching The View (Lord, help me) a few years ago, several weeks before the Grammy's aired, with Britney Spears as a guest (Oh please, Lord! HELP. ME.) and they said she couldn't perform because she was going to be performing at the Grammy's. Unless they were lying. Or maybe CBS is going to be airing the Grammy's, and since Dave is on CBS she can perform there. I don't know. It's all so confusing.

Edited by MC SammyD, Jan 19, 2004 @ 1:08 PM.

Chambliss

Chambliss

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 7:14 PM

Wow! After all the jokes Letterman made, and continues to MAKE about Clinton the right wingers come crawling out to complain about Bush jokes!

hughster

hughster

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 2:40 AM

Chambliss, I don't know if your comment was directed at me, but if so you should know that I wasn't complaining about the jokes about Bush - far from it. I was merely observing. I just think that the tone of the jokes about Bush seems different from those about Clinton. I never got the sense that Dave had contempt for Clinton as a man, or feels he is unfit for the office, but I do somehow get the sense he feels that way about Bush, from what he's been saying lately. And let's just say I don't disagree with that stance. So maybe I'm just projecting.

But in any event my comments were meant as an observation, not as a political argument, and certainly not as a complaint. But I don't want to dwell on my own political leanings, since the thread ain't about me.

beezer

beezer

Stalker

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 5:24 AM

I think it's been that way all along though, not just recently. Before the election he referred to Bush more than once as a, "huge boob," he made the summit comment about Bush and Leno, and Bush did himself no favours in that department when he did the sat link. Bush also didn't come off so well when he cleaned his glasses on Maria.

In general, I think he does just exploit the obvious - with Clinton he made weight jokes, intern jokes, with Bush it's giant boob (and I don't mean the ones on Monica - thank you, I'll be here all week!) jokes. I think those might feel more personally attacking because they kind of are - 'wow, that guy likes fries,' seems to me less attacking than 'wow, that guy is dumb as a box of fucking rocks.'

However, since the Times Mag brouhaha, I think he's been a tiny bit more open about his views in his own way - like how he felt about invading Iraq and Afghanistan. But I don't think the general jokes are it.

Edited by beezer, Jan 19, 2004 @ 5:26 AM.

Bud's Girl

Bud's Girl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 10:31 AM

I think Dave'll make fun of anybody if it's a good joke, heck he makes fun of Martha Stewart, but then when he's chatting after the monologue, he talks about how she's being railroaded and it's such a bunch of bs for her to even be on trial.

Bush's gaffes and his jumping around from Bin Laden to Hussein to WMDs to Mars is a very easy target, like Clinton's sexcapades, which Dave is still joking about. He's used the Paul O'Neill "Bush was disengaged during Cabinet meetings" comment to make jabs about Clinton "disengaging" when Hillary walked into the Oval Office.

Edited by Bud's Girl, Jan 19, 2004 @ 10:31 AM.

GenerationX

GenerationX

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2004 @ 4:56 PM

I love Unfair Edits. And all of the wacky President Bush bits, like Joke That's Not a Joke.

As for Dave's political leanings, I have watched him for more than 20 years and have never sensed anything more than him finding a lot of humor in politicians. I never felt Dave was/is conservative for his Clinton jokes and never sensed he was/is liberal for his Bush jokes. Dave's an equal opportunity commentator on the absurd.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jan 21, 2004 @ 5:00 PM

Dave is most likely a moderate Independent. He got pissed off a few years ago when an article theorized that he was a non-voting Republican. Where he said he didn't have any party affiliation but he damn well voted and got the County Clerk to verify his voting record.

beezer

beezer

Stalker

Posted Jan 21, 2004 @ 10:28 PM

He is a registered independant, but has been a registered democrat.

mimiko1

mimiko1

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 9:07 AM

Dave's Dean imitation is so damn funny. It's not even as over the top as the real thing, and when Dave said "why can't he be president?", o.k. it would make a lot of great jokes but please, nooooo.

yoyoelizabeth

yoyoelizabeth

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 12:41 PM

Whichever way Dave's jokes break (either left or right in the political spectrum), I love his political wiseacre ways. “The Daily Show” followed by the “Late Show” every night keeps me sane in a cold, harsh and overly dumb political pundit world. I totally get why a lot of people's main news sources are late night talk shows.

I thought his best Dean joke -- aside from the great imitation of the speech -- was the "hockey dad" line. "Americans are wondering if they want a President with the personality of a hockey dad."

hughster

hughster

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 6:15 PM

According to Dean's website, he's going to be on Letterman tonight.

Chambliss

Chambliss

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 7:32 AM

In my day, when someone said Dean was on, you knew you were in for real laffs. Of course, back then you had the whole crew--Dean, Dom, the Golddiggers, and Bush was something different altogether, it meant GOOD TIMES, not all this pain and aggravation...

Mr. Excitement

Mr. Excitement

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2004 @ 1:07 PM

biakbiak writes:

Dave is most likely a moderate Independent. He got pissed off a few years ago when an article theorized that he was a non-voting Republican. Where he said he didn't have any party affiliation but he damn well voted and got the County Clerk to verify his voting record.

And he added that the first time he voted was in 1968, when "we had an ugly, awful war going on... not an election about who's banging interns." Not a big-laugh moment, but I thought it was very special.

Skategrrl

Skategrrl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2004 @ 2:55 PM

Last night, I surfed between Dave and Leno. Dave had Al Franken on....Leno had Dennis Miller. Miller kept going on and on and on about what a good man Bush is....and Al, was, well, Al.

It's interesting to see how sharply different the two shows are regarding politics.

BTW, I love Al Franken. I used to love Dennis, but he's become extremely cranky, and not in a good way.

malm3

malm3

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2004 @ 5:47 PM

Move along...

Edited by malm3, Jan 24, 2004 @ 5:50 PM.

malm3

malm3

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2004 @ 5:48 PM

Phantom Planet was awesome last night. I liked Big Brat when I first heard it, but it's just incredible performed live. All those guitars! I think I swooned. This new improved version of PP is wonderful.

Al Franken was great of course. I just love him.

Chambliss

Chambliss

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 24, 2004 @ 6:37 PM

[QUOTE]Last night, I surfed between Dave and Leno. Dave had Al Franken on....Leno had Dennis Miller. Miller kept going on and on and on about what a good man Bush is....and Al, was, well, Al

A good example of the difference, I think, is when Al and Dave were discussing "Drug Rush Limbo." When Franken talks about Limbaugh, you see the old Stuart Smalley character coming out, whereas when you see Dennis Miller talking about Bush, all you see is just another CNBC host talking. Paul is putting alot more work into the Stump the Band segments--definitely more laffs than before.

Edited by Chambliss, Jan 24, 2004 @ 6:39 PM.

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 3:49 PM

Stump the Band

I loved that the fake Pellican song had the same rhyme as the real Pellican song - they're getting closer! One of these days they're going to come up with the right song by accident.

Fascinating interview with the Touching the Void guy (Joe Simpson?) Thursday night. I'm glad it went long and Phantom Planet stuck around to tape the second show. I wonder who got bumped Friday?

Reruns this week?

hitchhiker

hitchhiker

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 1, 2004 @ 8:18 PM

New shows this week. Yay! Here's the guest list for the next two weeks. I'm sure Regis and Dave will talk about the sweeps Millionaire and how stupid ABC is. I'm bitter that they are airing that instead of Alias. Drew Barrymore is always a good guest. I have irrational good will towards her, and I think part of it is b/c of her love for Dave.

bottleredhead

bottleredhead

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2004 @ 8:45 PM

It's kind of strange, I believe on the commercials during the Super Bowl, they've been saying that Drew Barrymore will be on "later this month," instead of this week. Oh, well, I always enjoy seeing her with Dave. And Chris Elliott, yay!