I'm a Seinfeld Addict: Not That There’s Anything Wrong with That

• Please log in to reply

6793 replies to this topic

El Guapo

El Guapo

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2008 @ 2:40 PM

Agreed, it's a little tough watch those early episodes. Jerry just hadn't got the hang of acting yet, and his facial expresions ran the gamut from slight bemusement to slightly greater bemusement. Also, the sets seem rather slapdash, Jerry's apartment in particular. The pacing was terrible, characters just seemed to be waiting for cues rather than reacting organically. Elaine's and Kramer's line readings tended not to show a consistent voice from one scene to another. Jason Alexander, OTOH, had that character nailed almost from day one.

Eegah, Jerry's "school play" description was spot on.

George's girlfriend in The Hamptons was played by Melora Walters, most famous for her appearances in the films of Paul Thomas Anderson. She is certainly an attractive woman, but I wouldn't put her at the top of the list of George Costanza girlfriends who were out of his league.

Personally I would say it is a tossup between DeeDee Pfeiffer from The Opposite, or Chelsea Noble from The English Patient.

Guess I have a thing for redheads. I forgot about DeeDee Pfeiffer (Michelle's sister, right?). Yeah, quite out of the league, although she was attracted to the Opposite George, so there's that caveat.

I didn't count Chelsea Noble, since her attraction to George (and his doppelganger) was so improbable and incongruent even to George that it became the focus of the story line.

It only bugs me, in this and any other sitcom, when there's no explanation, or even comment, on the very unequally yoked.

laramie66

laramie66

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2008 @ 3:00 PM

Jason Alexander, OTOH, had that character nailed almost from day one.

Really? I found him too Woody Allen nebbish-ey.

I liked the early cute uncruel Elaine from the very beginning, but disliked her transformation. True on Jerry's smiling being verrrry annoying, and Kramer not being 'there' yet.

pairafids

pairafids

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2008 @ 6:42 PM

If anyone saw Chris Matthews' recent smackdown of a guy who could not articulate what appeasement meant in 1938, perhaps this history lesson from Seinfeld would have proven valuable information:

Jerry: Vomiting is not a deal breaker. If Hitler had vomited on Chamberlain, Chamberlain still would have given him Czechoslovakia.
George: Chamberlain! You could hold his head in the toilet, he'd still give you half of Europe.

I guess there is learning to be had on Seinfeld, in spite of LD's mantra. I will go study now, in case I am ever called to comment on a cable news commentary show.

BondGirl

BondGirl

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2008 @ 10:46 PM

I read a great article explaining the "schlubby guy with hot wife/girlfriend" phenomena on TV that suggested that said schlubby guys try harder and KNOW that they have to go out of their way to hang onto to their gorgeous girlfriends. So while the frequency of that scenario still annoys me, I can understand it somewhat.

But George was so thoroughly unappealing. If he'd even been a nice guy, I could get it, but he was such a pathetic jerk.

isisuptown

isisuptown

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2008 @ 1:14 PM

I participated in a Jeopardy! audition earlier in the week and was able to respond "What is Seinfeld?" (The category was "Sitcoms by Episode" and the clue was "The Smelly Car."

brandmed

brandmed

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2008 @ 1:07 AM

Does anyone know where Liz Sheridan lives? Does she live in the LA area? Because, and I know this sounds crazy, I SWEAR she was driving the car next to me at a red light on my way to class this morning.

isisuptown

isisuptown

Couch Potato

Posted May 28, 2008 @ 11:12 AM

Does anyone know where Liz Sheridan lives? Does she live in the LA area?

It's not out of the question for a working actress to live in the Los Angeles area. Here's some basic info on Ms. Sheridan.

But George was so thoroughly unappealing. If he'd even been a nice guy, I could get it, but he was such a pathetic jerk.

Agreed. A guy doesn't need to be hot, but he needs to be nice.

brandmed

brandmed

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2008 @ 11:05 AM

Yeah, I know. That's why I felt as sure as I did that it might have been her. Thanks for the response.

DownsideUp

DownsideUp

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 8:54 AM

"The Junior Mint" was on again the other night and I love Kramer's interrogation to the doctor, asking if he's going to be using a retractor. Kramer's "told ya so" expression when the Doctor tells him yes is priceless!

And then of course his vivid description of the patient's guts on the table and sawing through bone. "We'll see what's inside bone!"

CerebralFitness

CerebralFitness

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2008 @ 10:32 AM

"The Junior Mint" was on again the other night and I love Kramer's interrogation to the doctor, asking if he's going to be using a retractor. Kramer's "told ya so" expression when the Doctor tells him yes is priceless!

And then of course his vivid description of the patient's guts on the table and sawing through bone. "We'll see what's inside bone!"

And of course Jerry's now classic ad lib about watching them "slice this fat bastard up". That is a hilarious line, and props to Micheal Richards for not breaking character, he merely looks at JA in character like, 'Can you believe what he said?'

The other great thing about Kramer's interrogation was the way even though it wasn't the same retractor, he had to end with a question he knew the answer to in order to do that reporter-y thing were you cast doubt no matter what the person says. His look to Triangle Guy was the icing.

I didn't like when syndication was rerunning the same episodes, but I wish they get to the newer ones, those first couple years, as Jerry's cashier girlfriend would say, "Just didn't make it for me. There's just so much fluff."

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Jul 8, 2008 @ 11:18 AM

Really? I found him too Woody Allen nebbish-ey.

Me, too. It took Alexander a little while (but not too terribly long) to find the right register with George. Probably when he figured out that George was basically a stand-in for Larry David.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Jul 8, 2008 @ 12:03 PM

I read in one behind the scenes book that early on Michael Richards' performance was accused of being a ripoff of Reverend Ignotowsky from Taxi. I've never seen the show so I can't comment there, but JA responded that if anyone was doing a ripoff performance in those days it was him.

CerebralFitness

CerebralFitness

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2008 @ 12:25 PM

Yeah, I think JA has admitted to a Woody Allen take on the character, with all the kvetching. Oi! Also, I think Entertainment Weekly has said as much in the Seinfeld commemorative book they put out.

DownsideUp

DownsideUp

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2008 @ 1:35 PM

When I heard the recent news about Bozo the clown dying, I pictured George somewhere mourning his loss.

"Forget Bozo, George. Bozo's out. He's finished. It's over for Bozo."

RIP Bozo.

leew261

leew261

Posted Jul 8, 2008 @ 8:20 PM

I'll bet they don't have nearly as much coverage when Eric the Clown dies. "Eric! What kind of name is that for a clown, huh?"

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Jul 9, 2008 @ 12:55 AM

Seeing as he's now the director of Iron Man...

CerebralFitness

CerebralFitness

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2008 @ 11:14 AM

So Eegah, you're saying "best known for" and "Eric the Clown" will not be on his obit? I just saw him on a King of Queens rerun as Doug's childhood "nemesis". Guy gets around. I honestly didn't think he had a movie like Iron Man in him, even after Elf, which entertained me. "I saw a dog today!"

Amazing how so many guest stars parlayed their stint into success even today.

I love now that I know Larry David's voice from CYE I'm aware that nearly every off camera voice is his. The only one he bothers to tweak a little is "Big Stein".

IseutLaBrune

IseutLaBrune

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2008 @ 11:20 AM

When I heard the recent news about Bozo the clown dying, I pictured George somewhere mourning his loss.

"Forget Bozo, George. Bozo's out. He's finished. It's over for Bozo."

RIP Bozo.

My bf and I read about Bozo's death on Fark.com, and as we were scrolling through the discussion thread on it I started going into that whole Seinfeld bit, and right as I got to "You're hung up on some clown from the SIXTIES, man!" And just as I did that, someone on the thread posted that exact line. Hee.

isisuptown

isisuptown

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2008 @ 3:27 PM

A few nights ago, the episode where Catherine Keener plays Jerry's girlfriend; the artist who paints Kramer, and who plagarizes "Chapter Two" in a note to Jerry, was on. I kept trying to place her. It wasn't until the end credits, when I saw her name that I thought "Duh, she's Catherine Keener." I'm so used to seeing her in movies that I can't identify her on a sitcom.

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2008 @ 10:02 AM

I love Catherine Keener, but don't enjoy her in that episode. She's too shrewish and doesn't have much chemistry with Jerry.

amyaug578

amyaug578

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 11:41 AM

"You're hung up on some clown from the SIXTIES, man!"

I always loved that line but there was one thing I never understood...if Eric the clown never heard of Bozo, how did he know he was from the 60s?

IseutLaBrune

IseutLaBrune

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 12:24 PM

I'm guessing it's because George was referring to clowns of his childhood, which Eric placed somewhere in the 60s.

amyaug578

amyaug578

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 12:48 PM

I'm guessing it's because George was referring to clowns of his childhood, which Eric placed somewhere in the 60s.

Good point :)

brandmed

brandmed

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2008 @ 11:30 PM

I found thisSeinfeld campus tour very cool. I like that the show is still being promoted and attempting to gain new fans who probably wouldn't have seen it in the original run. I would love to see this bus though. Might have to visit my little sister if it comes to her campus. I'm also interested in learning more about this game slated for the fall.

Ms Misabel

Ms Misabel

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 18, 2008 @ 12:32 AM

I caught "The Engagement" on one of our local channels today. I always love the scene where Kramer is dissuading Jerry from marriage/family. Especially the whole thing about not being able to watch TV when you're eating, "...it's dinner time. And you know what you do at dinner? You talk about your day. 'How was your day today? Did you have a good day today or a bad day today? Well, what kind of day was it? Well, I don't know. How about you? How was your day?'" It's all in the way Michael Richards delivers it. Cracks me up.

Pheebs16

Pheebs16

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 18, 2008 @ 9:22 AM

I just saw "The Soup" episode, and I have to say how much I loved Kenny Banya. I love it how he goes out with Jerry and then expects another meal because he only ordered soup, and the conversation Jerry and Elaine had about it: "Did he crumble crackers in the soup?" and when he goes "what?" she gets exasperated and says "Did he CRUMBLE any CRACKERS in it?" I don't know why, but that cracked (no pun intended) me up. Man, I miss Banya. He reminds me how amazing the continuity was on Seinfeld, they kept bringing him back. And he would always say "The ___'s here the BEST. The BEST, Jerry." One of my favorite moments was when he took a pretty annoyed Jerry out to dinner, and was going on about how great the swordfish was and how he MUST get the swordfish, and Jerry goes, "I'll have the tuna." Hee.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Aug 18, 2008 @ 10:36 AM

I thought that was a bad episode for Banya, personally. He works best as the enthusiastic overgrown child who really looks up to the resentful Jerry ("That's gold, Jerry, gold!"). Unlike Newman, the rivalry between him and Jerry is entirely one-sided. In The Soup, however, he comes off as downright manipulative, stringing Jerry along for more meals together, and you could easily put Newman in his place with just a couple line changes.

I really got a laugh when I saw the X-Files episode Ice, where Steve Hytner guest starred along with Xander Berkeley and Felicity Huffman. Who to bring along to fight aliens in the Arctic? Kenny Bania, George Mason, and Lynette Scavo!

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Aug 18, 2008 @ 11:04 AM

I found thisSeinfeld campus tour very cool. I like that the show is still being promoted and attempting to gain new fans who probably wouldn't have seen it in the original run. I would love to see this bus though. Might have to visit my little sister if it comes to her campus. I'm also interested in learning more about this game slated for the fall.

That's pretty cool, although I am wondering why they even need to promote the show at all. Doesn't it still get huge ratings in syndication? Is there someone involved with the show who needs more money (not that there's anything wrong with that)?

Pheebs16

Pheebs16

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 18, 2008 @ 11:21 AM

I thought that was a bad episode for Banya, personally. He works best as the enthusiastic overgrown child who really looks up to the resentful Jerry ("That's gold, Jerry, gold!"). Unlike Newman, the rivalry between him and Jerry is entirely one-sided. In The Soup, however, he comes off as downright manipulative, stringing Jerry along for more meals together, and you could easily put Newman in his place with just a couple line changes.

That's true. Now that I think of it, my favorite Banya episode was when he's dating Cynthia, the mentor to the girl Jerry's dating, and he's trying to work on his material, and Jerry writes a joke for him. ("Why do they call it Ovaltine? The mug is round, the jar is round. They should call it Roundtine.")

El Guapo

El Guapo

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2008 @ 1:20 PM

Now that I think of it, my favorite Banya episode was when he's dating Cynthia, the mentor to the girl Jerry's dating

Which engendered one of my favorite Jerry quotes ever:

"Banya? I had to spend two hours at dinner last night with that specimen."