The Golden Girls

• Please log in to reply

11468 replies to this topic

LilWharveyGal

LilWharveyGal

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2014 @ 12:01 AM

Blanche's boudoir truly was well stocked.  I mean where else could a person find cool whip, handcuffs, a video camera, a mirror on the ceiling, costumes, a trampoline, a riding crop, etc.?  (Not that Michael and Bridget would have known that.)

Cobalt Stargazer

Cobalt Stargazer

Stalker

Posted Feb 5, 2014 @ 12:03 AM

And stirrups. Don't forget the stirrups.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Feb 5, 2014 @ 12:32 AM

Wasn't one of them staying in Blanche's room? She said it was fine since she'd hurt her back and was just going to camp out on the couch anyway?

rubaco

rubaco

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2014 @ 9:40 AM

I often have Golden Girls on in the background as I do other things and that's the case again this morning. But no matter what I'm doing, I always stop and watch when Sophia tells her walkathon story. Even though it might be a figment of her imagination, I can just picture the crowd on their feet chanting "So-PHI-a! So-PHI-a!" Because she's that awesome.

And it's hilarious that she didn't take her key along because she didn't want it to weigh her down, but she's carrying her purse! She clearly carried it during the walkathon because it has her number on it. I love that.

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2014 @ 6:23 PM

If only they hadn't put up that new Wendy's without telling her, she could have won the whole thing.

RaceBirch

RaceBirch

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 5, 2014 @ 7:20 PM

I still don't see how she lost because of that.  She should've had plenty of time to notice it, the speed she was moving at.

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2014 @ 10:55 AM

That one was never one of my favorites.  I don't know why.

Molly Dolly

Molly Dolly

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 6, 2014 @ 11:49 AM

About Bridgette Andersen (who played Rose's granddaughter in TGG). What "bothers" me about her death from drugs is that there's such a huge chunk of her life where she pretty much dropped off the radar and I guess if that's when she stopped acting it makes sense, and nobody decent would feel entitled to extra information from her family, but it makes it all the more mysterious. You get the feeling that there's plenty wrong and that people seem afraid to talk... but you don't know why.

Cobalt Stargazer

Cobalt Stargazer

Stalker

Posted Feb 12, 2014 @ 1:36 AM

The episode with Gil Kessler, the boring politician, was just on Hallmark. I love it when everyone finds out he had a sex change operation, and then Rose puzzling over it when she and Dorothy get home.

"What about the parts they put on? I mean, do they test them first?"

"Yes, they do. You know, like windshield wipers."

*pause*

"What are they made of?"

*longer pause*

"Silly Putty, Rose!"

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2014 @ 10:39 AM

That was great, but I hate the way they treated Blanche.  If she did sleep with Gil, it was her business, and I imagine being called a slut when you weren't, often enough, would be enough to eat away at my friendship..

Snow Apple

Snow Apple

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 12, 2014 @ 11:51 AM

I hated the way they treated Blanche too.  It was the same in the episode where Dorothy's doctor boyfriend hit on Blanche, and Dorothy believed his lies.  At least Rose was on her side that time.  

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2014 @ 12:03 PM

I wondered why Rose didn't pipe up?  Not that that would guarantee anything but I thought that would add credibility.

JCScantling

JCScantling

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2014 @ 12:37 PM

I wondered why Rose didn't pipe up?  Not that that would guarantee anything but I thought that would add credibility.

Probably didn't want to be hit on the head with a rolled up newspaper or magazine.

BlakeSpeare

BlakeSpeare

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2014 @ 3:12 PM

Here's a question: When Blanche said, "If a 5,000-year-old Indian shows up, tell him I want to know more about his people," was that just an absurd comment to show how out-of-it she was? Or was it a specific pop-culture reference?

I know there are various people who claim to have had mystical experiences involving the souls of Native Americans, so I could see it being a generic "spiritual journey" comment. But that felt weirdly specific.

Edited by BlakeSpeare, Feb 12, 2014 @ 3:13 PM.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2014 @ 3:49 PM

I wondered why Rose didn't pipe up? Not that that would guarantee anything but I thought that would add credibility.

She talked to Sophia about it and Sophia advised her to stay out of it. I think she still could have said something. It's not like she was just trying to butt in with her opinion about something. She had tie-breaking information in a he said/she said dispute and could have settled it. Dorothy would believe her; she'd have no reason to lie.

Cobalt Stargazer

Cobalt Stargazer

Stalker

Posted Feb 12, 2014 @ 4:51 PM

BlakeSpeare, I googled your question, and I couldn't find anything to confirm that it was a specific reference to anything, so I guess it was just a random comment to show how out-of-it Blanche was.

Three on a Couch was on this morning. I don't always like the flashback episodes, but that one really makes me laugh.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2014 @ 4:59 PM

"Well, literally, it's the precise moment when dog doo turns white."

BlakeSpeare

BlakeSpeare

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2014 @ 5:28 PM

My one complaint about Three on a Couch is that it felt like the writers were kissing Bea Arthur's ass. The only thing the other women can complain about is that Dorothy is too perfect? Why not complain about how she's constantly insulting them?

That's not to say that the insults weren't usually justified...but Dorothy's judgmental nature is far more worthy of criticism than her competence.

Patsy Stoned

Patsy Stoned

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2014 @ 5:48 PM

Here's a question: When Blanche said, "If a 5,000-year-old Indian shows up, tell him I want to know more about his people," was that just an absurd comment to show how out-of-it she was? Or was it a specific pop-culture reference

It was pop culture.  During the 80s there was a women {'m not 100% sure of her name, I think  JZKnight} who claimed to be the reincarnation of a prehistoric Indian whose name was  {again can't remember al the boring details so this may be incorrect} RAMTHA.

from Wikki:

J. Z. Knight claims that in 1977, an entity named Ramtha began channelling through her. Ramtha, it is claimed, is a 35,000-year old ascended entity from an ancient civilization who has been teaching through Knight about how reality is created and how human beings can create their own personal reality.

Between 1979 and 1988, Knight has been having private sessions with students of Ramtha's teachings, which were called "dialogues". The dialogues were held in 24 cities (including Seattle, Honolulu, New York and Denver), when she decided to found Ramtha's School of Enlightenment, on land which was previously a ranch. By 1995 she had expanded her tours to include other countries in the world, such as Australia, Italy, Japan and South Africa.[2] The school's 80-acre (320,000 m2) fenced compounds are open only to staff members and students and not to the public.[2]

You can read more by googlng Wikki.  Sorry, I am aso a Neanderthal-- can't do clickys

Edited by Patsy Stoned, Feb 12, 2014 @ 5:50 PM.

daniel82

daniel82

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2014 @ 6:11 PM

Between 1979 and 1988, Knight has been having private sessions with students of Ramtha's teachings, which were called "dialogues".

The attendees soon became suspicious when every dialogue began, "Picture it: Sicily, 35,000 BC."

Edited by daniel82, Feb 12, 2014 @ 6:12 PM.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Feb 12, 2014 @ 6:39 PM

My one complaint about Three on a Couch is that it felt like the writers were kissing Bea Arthur's ass. The only thing the other women can complain about is that Dorothy is too perfect? Why not complain about how she's constantly insulting them?

Dorothy was always supposed to be the sane, sensible one. As far as insults go Blanche certainly doesn't have a leg to stand on, she insults everyone else pretty much constantly. Dorothy's flaws were her terrible love life and, well, life in general. As far as roommates go she's pretty much the best: she pays not only her rent but Sophia's as well, offers practical advice on the lives of the others when they have problems, rarely brings any real drama home with her aside from Stan. 

sgittinger

sgittinger

Stalker

Posted Feb 12, 2014 @ 9:51 PM

"She's an airhead". "Well, you're a barbell".

Cobalt Stargazer

Cobalt Stargazer

Stalker

Posted Feb 12, 2014 @ 9:55 PM

I'm just now realizing this, but I'm a little surprised they didn't call it Thrice on a Couch. ;-)

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer, Feb 12, 2014 @ 9:56 PM.

yarnover

yarnover

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2014 @ 10:34 PM

Dorothy's flaws were her terrible love life and, well, life in general. 

This makes me think of

Sophia: Come on, Pussycat; you figured out that mystery at dinner.

Dorothy: Ma, that was different. That was a game; this is life!

Sophia: Oh yeah. You've never been any good at life, have you.

I mean, damn.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Feb 13, 2014 @ 11:42 PM

Yeah, that was playing in my head when I wrote it.

Cobalt Stargazer

Cobalt Stargazer

Stalker

Posted Feb 14, 2014 @ 2:59 AM

Speaking of things that bother us about the show, the episode where Becky comes to visit Blanche, bringing her obnoxious boyfriend Jeremy with her, was just on Hallmark. Why were they acting like she was the fattest person they'd ever seen? I know Blanche could be looks-obsessed, and God knows Sophia had no filter at all, but it bugs me that Dorothy and Rose were going along with it. Maybe she could have stood to lose a few pounds, but Jesus, it wasn't like she was enormous. I actually thought the actress was really pretty, just a little heavy.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Feb 14, 2014 @ 12:18 PM

Designing Women had done something similar, but with a man, a couple of years before -- present someone averagely overweight and have the characters all speak of him/her as if they're observing a sideshow freak. 

Sophia making comments makes all the sense in the world, and it also makes sense from Blanche who is so struck by the difference between Becky's lifelong appearance and how she looks now.  But for Rose and Dorothy to join in rang false.

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2014 @ 1:44 PM

I agree with you.

Someone once pointed out that Dorothy's achilles heel was judgment re men.

The Barbara Thorndyke episode is also the other one with the Angie Dickinson reference.  That was driving me crazy!

MichaelaBelle

MichaelaBelle

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2014 @ 9:50 PM

Someone once pointed out that Dorothy's achilles heel was judgment re men.

Maybe. All the girls dated their share of losers. But "Dorothy" got to date Dick Van Dyke, Hal Linden and Leslie Nielson. Not bad.

Considering all the men Blanche dated, they weren't an impressive bunch. My favorite was Jake the caterer.

Edited by MichaelaBelle, Feb 14, 2014 @ 9:59 PM.

Cobalt Stargazer

Cobalt Stargazer

Stalker

Posted Feb 14, 2014 @ 9:58 PM

Jake was played by Donnelly Rhodes, who appeared on [i]Soap[/] as escaped convict and Eunice's boyfriend Dutch Leitner.