The Golden Girls

• Please log in to reply

11461 replies to this topic

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Dec 18, 2012 @ 6:14 PM

"Sometimes, life just isn't fair kiddo." And she tosses the little brat out the door while grabbing her teddy.

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2012 @ 10:41 AM

I thought Daisy was really good. I wonder if she is still acting.

LilWharveyGal

LilWharveyGal

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2012 @ 10:56 AM

Not recently, according to imdb.

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

Thank you. Don't see how she could appear on Card Sharks if she was born in 76.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Dec 19, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

Jenny Lewis was part of the popular indie rock band "Rilo Kiley" from 1998 until about 2010, and then she released some solo stuff more recently with her boyfriend Johnathan Rice. And true story, I always used to mistake her for Kerri Green. I think it was because they were both red-heads.

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2012 @ 1:57 PM

Who rocks more, GGs or Designing Women? To me it is no contest but there are actually people who vote for the latter.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Dec 19, 2012 @ 2:20 PM

There's a polling place for that sort of thing? I enjoy both shows very much, and consider Designing Women my favorite of the two ... so long as I can discount the later seasons of DW with substitute cast members.

The comparison I often find myself making between the two shows, and here Golden Girls comes out far ahead, is with Charlene and Rose. Jean Smart is a perfectly capable actress, but she just cannot make Charlene work for me. Charlene is often too damn stupid to live, and it's not cute that her friends have to constantly bail her out because she trusted someone a five-year-old would have seen through. And I think in anyone else's hands, Rose would drive me similarly crazy, but Betty White makes her endearing rather than annoying.

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2012 @ 2:25 PM

I just find GG funnier, and less sillier. So many quotable lines I don't think DW has. Julia could be harsh, and to me Dorothy pulled it off better.

Edited by Maherjunkie, Dec 19, 2012 @ 3:07 PM.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 11:29 AM

I think the casts were comparably talented, but Golden Girls had better writing.

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 11:37 AM

Even their not so good eps have something to them.

Shippaisha

Shippaisha

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 11:51 AM

I grew up with both shows, and they both have very special places in my heart. But as fantastic as the DW cast was, the GG cast did more to revolutionize TV in my opinion. They made old ladies sexual beings again. They showed that older women could be more than just doting, doddering elderlies and grandmothers. And to be fair, the ladies of DW did their show when they were still in their prime. Bea, Betty, Rue, and Estelle did this show at ages when Hollywood largely would not have taken a second look at them as lead actresses, and you could feel that venerable experience and talent being brought to bear. Continuity issues aside, GG was a master class in comedy.

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 11:57 AM

I thought Julia Duffy was great as Stephanie on Newhart, but could not make her DW character work.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 5:37 PM

Even their not so good eps have something to them.

Empty

Nest

LilWharveyGal

LilWharveyGal

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 7:26 PM

I have an intense, irrational dislike for the Jasper De Kimmel episode. Once they figure out it's not his nose in the painting and Dorothy does her, "Whoa!" I turn it off.

Actually, I think their money making schemes in general just aren't my thing. Jasper De Kimmel, the much reviled Jacket episode, breeding the minks, etc. I think it's partly because I'm very careful and risk averse when it comes to money myself, so these plots make me nervous, and partly because I'd just like to see the girls thrown a bone once in a while. Not that I would have wanted them to be millionaires, but it would have been nice to see them win something good on Grab That Dough, or have Blanche get something from the St. Olaf bonds, or see Sophia get to keep her big screen tv.

But my most maddening money moment is when Sophia takes their money to buy the boxer. "Say good bye, old woman," indeed.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 7:57 PM

I thought they set it up so Blanche would get the money from the bonds, once she explained how they could use the emergency statue fund for it so the town would not fo bunkrupt.

spiceinator

spiceinator

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 8:49 PM

Actually, no. If I remember right, Blanche had torn up the bonds a few seconds before hearing about the emergency statue fund.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

Doesn't mean she can't tape them back together. She was explaining hwo they could use the statue fund to pay her at the end, Rose wants her to call Saint Olaf and explain the loophole to them.

scarynikki12

scarynikki12

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

Doesn't mean she can't tape them back together.

Which would go unnoticed by the St. Olafians, so I agree that we can easily fanwank Blanche getting her share of the money after all.

LilWharveyGal

LilWharveyGal

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

Hmm, I never interpreted it that way. Well good, I guess she got something for her bosom fund after all!

kiddvideofan

kiddvideofan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 2:19 AM

I got to use a line in an email at work this week, in regards to the gift swap: "I don't want to ruin the surprise but by this time next year someone here is gonna know how to yodel."

I thought for sure someone would get it, but no such luck. I did hear laughter from the other side of the floor, so the humor held up!

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

I feel guilty for not liking the jacket episode, but I just don't.

Ouisch

Ouisch

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

Watched "Old Friends" today, the one with the ill security guard that Sophia befriends. It's so incredibly sad and I always find myself choked up at the end after Sophia realizes that Alvin won't be around anymore. EG wasn't the best actress, but I found her heartbreak believable in that episode.

Much as I laugh at the B-plot, I cannot watch this episode, it makes me too sad. Probably because first my beloved Mother-in-Law suffered from early onset Alzheimer's several years ago (she was in her early 60s when the first symptoms hit), and then my Dad suffered from dementia for a few (thankfully brief) years prior to his death at age 86. And it seems like almost all of my friends that I've kept in contact with from high school have an aging parent or other relative suffering from some form of Alzheimer's/dementia. *sigh* Alvin's behavior breaks my heart like it never did when I first saw the episode back in the 80s.

Interestingly enough, when my Mother-in-Law was in the middle stages of her illness - she no longer remembered my name or her son's name - I would sit with her and watch Golden Girls reruns with her (to give my Father-in-Law an afternoon off now and then from caregiving) and MIL would laugh at the appropriate times. Somehow, even though she needed to be coaxed to eat and asked if she needed to use the bathroom, she still caught the jokes on GG. Even stranger, MIL was always very much the prim and proper Southern Lady, never cursed or engaged in raunchy humor. But as her illness progressed, she would laugh uproariously at the double entendres uttered by Blanche and other remarks that previously would have given her the vapors. So while I've been a GG fan since the series originally aired, it has a special place in my heart as something I shared with not only my MIL but also my aging Dad - I would watch the syndicated reruns with him quite often when I visited and he also laughed heartily at the raunchier jokes.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 1:58 PM

If you're referring to the Michael Jackson jacket episode, don't feel bad. It started out so promising and funny and then morphed into some sad PSA about the homeless. I stop watching once the girls track the lost jacket down to the shelter. Once that happens, everything goes completely... unfunny.

Edited by Stinger97, Dec 21, 2012 @ 2:18 PM.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 2:25 PM

I appreciate the effort to spotlight the issue - especially given how many people, not to mention our government, were seemingly blind to the homelessness crisis in the '80s - so I don't hate it, but I certainly wish it hadn't been so heavy handed. It's every bit the Very Special Episode and those things drive me crazy. It's especially disappointing on a show like this one that generally has sharper writing. Here, the only way they could think to illustrate some of the myriad ways one can wind up homeless is to just pan back and forth between a few people telling the characters their stories?

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 2:38 PM

The song didn't help.

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 6:05 PM

I think that, generally, the show wasn't great at Very Special Episodes. The jacket episode is an example. The teenage pregnant girl is another but at least that has the perfect moment where Dorothy tells a St. Olaf story.

But the show's specialty was being funnier than almost anything else. The humor writing was so sharp and I think GG is the true forerunner of shows like 30 Rock. But I feel like the writing wasn't great once they started to get "real". The actresses were all able to handle it well but it became so heavy handed.

Edited by Cherith, Dec 21, 2012 @ 6:07 PM.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 6:26 PM

A big problem with their Very Special Episodes is that they almost always reveolve around characters we've never seen and never will again so we just don't care what happens to them.

Eri

Eri

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 23, 2012 @ 4:46 PM

I agree with what most people have said already about the "special" episodes. The Golden Girls was meant to be purely for laughs and hilarity. It was very difficult to watch any sad episodes (homeless, pregnant teen, aids etc.) as I could never take them seriously and they were frankly, quite depressing. The birthday episode with Rose's monologue with Charlie was a tear jerker at best. That is why I dislike parts of Season 6 and most Season 7 because there's so many unfunny episodes (Rose's surgery, Phil's funeral, and obviously the finale episode).

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted Dec 23, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

A big problem with their Very Special Episodes is that they almost always reveolve around characters we've never seen and never will again so we just don't care what happens to them.

Well there were the episodes with Rose's pill addiction and when Rose might be HIV positive. They just didn't feel organic.

I think very few shows actually pull off the drama/humor thing really well. Roseanne is easily the best at it. It is the only show where I think the "dramatic" ones are often the most hilarious episodes. All in the Family and Maude were good but it could feel a little preachy. And those shows had a social conscience built in to the fabric. Whereas Golden Girls was a very well crafted almost surreal comedic universe.

It is funny because that was just such a staple of the 1980s. But few sitcoms from the 1980s have held up like Golden Girls does. I mean people will rewatch a lot of them in fond nostalgia. But not because they are consistently hilarious all of these years later, as Golden Girls is. It is a victim of its own success because the few 1980s touches it had (the VSE, no continuity, which was actually a departure from the past) seem so weird to us now.

Edited by Cherith, Dec 23, 2012 @ 4:55 PM.

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Dec 24, 2012 @ 10:43 AM

I liked the Mary episode decently enough because of Dorothy's St.Olaf story and because of Sophia being afraid of the dog.