The Golden Girls

• Please log in to reply

11471 replies to this topic

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 11:46 PM

"From Here to the Pharmacy"

This is one of the few episodes I never rewatch. In large part, it's because I just never got the episode. I still don't get the point to it, don't get what actually happened, and especially don't get why the writers never had Blanche remember the man. Never once had a clue about where they were intending to go with the story. So I always avoid it just out of my confusion.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:24 AM

and especially don't get why the writers never had Blanche remember the man.

Did she even know him? I thought it was a mix-up. But then I haven't seen the episode in awhile.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

No mix-up, he was apparently just a random one-nighter she had and she forgot about him (she does have quite a few of them...). Although, doesn't she write them all down in her B.E.D. diary? Oh well.

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 2:40 PM

And they gave no direction to the entire thing. No structure, no semblance of a real plot. Hence why I just can't watch that episode whenever it comes on.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 4:28 PM

It does show that Blanche will take a relationship seriously if she believes she actually meant something to a man.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 7:29 PM

That episode sort of felt like the producers were doing a spin-off. There's Bill talking to a young mother and she's worried about her baby. Bill tells her where to go to get medical help and gives her some medicine free. Blanche saw the whole exchange and it was for her benefit so she could say the line "but you ARE a hero", but it also felt like they might do a spin-off with Bill the Pharmacist.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:38 PM

I don't think so, spin off hooks tend to be more setting things up, some kind of scene or conflict to sell the viewers on the idea, this had nothing like that. It just seemed like something to teach Blanche anouther lesson about judging men on what they do.

HappilyNeurotic

HappilyNeurotic

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 3:49 PM

I thought she did remember him? There was one line where she was like "You're Bill. Bill the pharmacist!" and I always took that to mean she remembered him.

Either way, I agree it was a pretty bad and pointless episode and tend to avoid it when it comes on.

MsLawDawg

MsLawDawg

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 2:31 PM

Re: the cutting of jokes--I despise in the Big Daddy marries younger Big Mommy episode how they cut out so much of Dorothy and Rose's writing of the song, which was the secondary plot. When Dorothy discovers that they actually say "Miami is nice" more than twice, Rose suggests "thrice" because it's a real word, to which Dorothy replies, "So is intrauterine" and asks Rose to find a rhyming word. "Miami--you're cuter than...an intrauterine." They cut the whole damn joke out, so when Big Daddy comes to see Blanche, Rose says something about, "the thrice of them are sitting on the couch" and it makes absolutely no sense, even for poor Rose. I hate the editing. I think only Lifetime showed the shows like they were originally. Of course, this was years ago before TV's primary focus was squeezing in as many commercials as possible!

Do the DVDs feature the shows as they originally were shown on NBC?

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 4:55 PM

Minor nitpick, Dorothy doesn't tell Rose to find a ryhme for interuterine, she says while it may be a word it's not one she'd want to hear in a song and then Rose does the 'cuter than' line.

I think every Golden Girls fan should buy the DvDs, that way we can all enoy them uncut with no commercials. And it makes the continuity errors so much easier to spot, it's hillarious!

HappilyNeurotic

HappilyNeurotic

Video Archivist

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 7:16 PM

Lifetime edited their episodes a good bit, too, they just did it so well that it was rare anything was lost.

I think most of the DVD seasons are totally uncut. I remember reading a while ago that one of them (season five, maybe?) had a few minor cuts to it.

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 8:28 PM

Lifetime was also just getting for time whereas Hallmark also cuts for "inappropriate" content (not that I think the song is an example of that).

Aja

Aja

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 2:07 AM

Seriously, where in the country are peoples' ears so virginial that THE GOLDEN GIRLS needs to be censored?

jetty

jetty

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

They do allow a lot of "sluts" and other words on Hallmark, but it seems like they cut a few damns" and "hells" here and there, especially if someone says it as an insult to someone else. In the Barbara Thorndyke episode, Hallmark cuts the "hell" when Dorothy tells Barbara, "Go to hell" and covers it with laughter and applause.

Tress

Tress

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 3:25 PM

One of my favorite episodes was on yesterday - the one where Blanche's brother visits & reveals that he's gay. Rose whispers in Dorothy's ear & Dorothy says, "he's a hobo?" And then when Dorothy realizes what Rose says, Rose says "Oh thank goodness, I thought I was going to have to draw you a picture............and I'm not sure I'd know how." LOL - 'just cracks me up everytime.

jetty

jetty

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 5:03 PM

I love the followup episode too, where Clayton brings his partner Doug and announces they intend to have a commitment ceremony. Full of so many good jokes, especially when Clayton says that Doug would bend over backwards for him, and Dorothy grabs Sophia to keep her from spitting out a quip, and Dorothy covers with, "Sometimes I just love to hug my mommy!" LOL Plus it doesn't hurt that Clayton DOES have good taste in men; Doug's awfully cute!

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:02 PM

I loved Clayton in both his episodes and he and Blanche seemed like a real brother and sister. It also helped that they had a warm, affectionate relationship, rather than the cold, competitive one she had with her sisters. I thought her struggle to accept the marriage wasn't a step backward from her acceptance of Clayton's gayness the previous episode. For her it was one thing to accept that, another to accept a marriage that was so far from her cultural, societal beliefs and those of many of the people of her circle (though happily not her roommates). So I was glad she got there in the end, and I loved the whole bit with Doug, starting with "Do you love him?" Rue McClanahan really sold that.

Wasn't the episode where he brought Doug home the same one where Rose thinks she's going to win the Volunteer Vanguard award and it goes to her archrival, who always won it in the past and has since died, so they give it to her postumously and have Rose accept it in her honor? That has one of my all time favorite 'competitive' Rose line: "She doesn't need this on her mantel! She's on her mantel!"

sgittinger

sgittinger

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

"There must be homosexuals who date women"! "Yeah, they're called lesbians"! Heh.

ThemsSnails

ThemsSnails

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 12:58 PM

I love this episode, too, but sgittinger's line reminds me also of the episode with Dorothy's gay friend Jean, when Dorothy and Sophia are trying to tell Blanche:

Blanche: "Lesbian? ... Lesbian..... LESBIAN!!!" as it finally sinks in. Her expression is priceless, and so well delivered!

Cobalt Stargazer

Cobalt Stargazer

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 4:05 PM

And then she starts going on about how ridiculous it is that Jean could prefer Rose over her, even going so far as to ask Dorothy, "Now be honest, if you have to choose between me and Rose, who would you pick?!"

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 4:58 PM

And also Sophia's "Yeah, Rose will be devastated when she finds out Danny Thomas is a lesbian." in response to Blanche's saying Rose isn't quite as sophisticated as she is.

Blanche definitely had some trouble wrapping her mind around the whole homosexual concept.

Edited by Betsyb, May 6, 2012 @ 5:05 PM.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 4:58 PM

That was great, but we all know Dorothy would definitely pick Blanche. She'd want someone she could verbally spar with, someone who could hold their own.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:55 AM

The two episodes "Sick and Tired" were on this morning.

Blanche: "I see little balls of sunshine in a bag."

Dorothy: "Van Gogh cut off his ear."
Blanche: "I have too many earrings."

Edited by SunShine Gal, May 9, 2012 @ 12:48 PM.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:59 AM

"To sleep, perchance to dream... My God, what a wonderful line!"

StinkPill

StinkPill

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

"I may die from this"
"My brain's gone my body is limp with exhaustion. I suppose all the greats knew this feelin'"
"What did she say Dorothy was that a poem?!"
"Have a good time Dorothy, buy me a present!"

Some of my favorite lines from the series are in this episode.

Edited by StinkPill, May 9, 2012 @ 12:24 PM.

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

"There must be homosexuals who date women"! "Yeah, they're called lesbians"! Heh.

I'm actually surprised that didn't get Sophia a "Ma!" from Dorothy.

OSM Mom

OSM Mom

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 2:58 PM

The two episodes "Sick and Tired" were on this morning.

And this one, after Blanche notices the bag once again. "Yellow eyeballs are staring at me!"

Cobalt Stargazer

Cobalt Stargazer

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 3:56 PM

And this one, after Blanche notices the bag once again. "Yellow eyeballs are staring at me!"

And the way Rose tells her both times that those are egg yolks cracks me up since Blanche is so exhausted the comments don't even register. "I'm so tired. I must sleep, and I cannot sleep! I may never sleep again...I may die from this. What am I gonna do?"

HappilyNeurotic

HappilyNeurotic

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 4:46 PM

I'm actually surprised that didn't get Sophia a "Ma!" from Dorothy.

She was probably about to say the same thing!

BondGirl

BondGirl

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

Seriously. I know some people can be thick-headed and ignorant about gay people but that line took the cake. She honestly expected her brother to continue dating women even though he was gay?

I don't think Sophia was even trying to be her usual caustic self, I think she was legitimately trying to verbally smack some sense into Blanche.

Edited by BondGirl, May 9, 2012 @ 11:39 PM.