The Golden Girls

• Please log in to reply

11483 replies to this topic

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 6:41 PM

Did he actually leave the church? I thought he was moving to a teaching position but staying a priest. Not one of my favourite episodes though so I may be remembering it wrong. To me he will always be the smuck who came on to Rebecca on Cheers and then lied to his wife about it.

No, he didn't. He wasn't even considering leaving the Church Dorothy just thought that. He was just leaving his work as a parish priest to work with kids as a priest.

Edited by Cherith, Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:57 PM.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:53 PM

He became a teaching priest. He only left the church location.

MsLawDawg

MsLawDawg

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 1:32 PM

I'm watching one of my favorites now, The Break In. I just love this episode.

That's one of my favorite first season episodes as well. I love it when Rose shoots the huge vase and Blanche, with her date, Lester, says "You shot my vase!" (pronouncing it vahz, like it was from the Ming Dynasty).

Rose: "Well, I didn't shoot Lester!"
Blanche: "I'd rather you have shot Lester!"
Lester: "I think I'll take a raincheck on that drink."
Blanche: "Go on home, you old fool."

Then Sophia who is supposed to be helping find pieces of the vase starts hiding them in the plants because she hated it. Good episode, with the right amount of comedy on a serious subject, in my opinion.

openroad

openroad

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:19 AM

I've been watching old Night Court episodes, and had forgotten in the early seasons there was a tabloid reporter trying to dig up sleazy stories from court (which...seems really odd anyway). The actor playing the reporter was the fake Beatle that Dorothy had a fling with!

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 5:58 PM

Chicken Wing
True, but he wasn't too broken up about it, though -- he came by to ask out Rose in the episode tag. :)

Rose?! Really?! Well, did she accept? I ask because I try to avoid that episode based on entirely on the ending, if you know what I mean.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 6:34 PM

Rose declines at first, informing him that she has a boyfriend, but then he says that Ernie is sick and he's playing Paul in the show now. Rose grabs her purse and heads out with him.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 6:51 PM

Maybe he came back for lyric inspiration.
"Rose, Rose... What a girl I chose."
Maybe not.

Hallmark has been running the old Mary Tyler Moore shows. Rhoda's parents were shown the other night. They were played by Harold Gould and Nancy Walker. I did a double take. Miles and Sophia's sister Angela married! And Betty White was Sue Anne Nivens on MTM. What a small world.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 7:01 PM

Well, maybe Angela went into the wirness protection program? It'd explain where she went.

Aja

Aja

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 6:19 AM

Or maybe Angela came to a realization very late in life and became Angelo.

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 2:55 PM

Chicken Wing
All of the girls' kids were awful.

I thought Bridget and Rebecca were just fine, actually. And in her one appearance, Janet wasn't so bad, either.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 3:10 PM

Yeah, for all the buildup Janet got about how she's the one that hates Blanche she seemed perfectly nice and understanding.

StinkPill

StinkPill

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 3:53 PM

Janet was the mother of unruly teenage David right? Did she have him when she was like 4?! Oh Golden Girls!

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 4:03 PM

Maybe he was adopted?

StinkPill

StinkPill

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 4:09 PM

If so, Bob Hope is definitely the father.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 4:10 PM

So he's related to Rose? I guess she ended up being a Hollingsworth-in-law after all!

BlakeSpeare

BlakeSpeare

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 7:13 AM

I'm watching the episode where Dorothy and Stan are in trouble with the IRS. I've never fully understood the joke where Sophia mentions that she's cooking spaghetti, and Rose says something about having Italian food for dinner, and Sophia says, "Actually, it's Chinese food, wearing a marinara suit."

Is it a reference to pasta being introduced to Italy via China? Or is she just being sarcastic?

mariah23

mariah23

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:06 AM

About Janet, I fanwanked this: Janet married the Yankee right out of high school (and to spite Blanche) and David was probably a honeymoon baby.

OSM Mom

OSM Mom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

I'm watching the episode where Dorothy and Stan are in trouble with the IRS. I've never fully understood the joke where Sophia mentions that she's cooking spaghetti, and Rose says something about having Italian food for dinner, and Sophia says, "Actually, it's Chinese food, wearing a marinara suit."

Is it a reference to pasta being introduced to Italy via China? Or is she just being sarcastic?

I always figured a little of both. ;)

Prothall

Prothall

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 12:03 AM

You know, it just occurred to me today: why, in the IRS episode, didn't Dorothy or Sophia suggest borrowing the money from Gloria? Or did one of them and I missed it? Even if the response had been "borrowing from family is never a good idea", it still would have made sense for one of them to suggest it.

BlakeSpeare

BlakeSpeare

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 12:33 AM

No, there was no mention of Gloria. I guess they knew that Gloria blew all her money on the extensive plastic surgery that resulted in her looking like a completely different woman. ;-)

Here's a random question - does anyone know if it would be realistic for a man in his 50s, who works as a civilian pharmacist, to serve in the Gulf War? I thought about that the last time I saw "From Here to the Pharmacy" - I know that there are civilians in the reserves, who are called to duty when there's a war. But a civilian pharmacist in his 50's? Don't the various branches of the military have their own full-time pharmacists?

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:09 AM

That seems... odd. I thought virtually everyone in the military except top brass was considerably younger than that.

dissy

dissy

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 1:04 PM

In regards to borrowing money from Gloria and older people in the military, I always think of this: When the Golden Girls music starts, logic flies out of the window. :)

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

Logic and continuity.

pretyonthesofa

pretyonthesofa

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 1:57 PM

You know, it just occurred to me today: why, in the IRS episode, didn't Dorothy or Sophia suggest borrowing the money from Gloria? Or did one of them and I missed it? Even if the response had been "borrowing from family is never a good idea", it still would have made sense for one of them to suggest it

But wasn't that AFTER Gloria lost all her money?

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 5:42 PM

No, Gloria losing her money was in the last season; the IRS episode was in season 2 or 3.

Edited by Chicken Wing, Apr 26, 2012 @ 5:52 PM.

tvallthetime

tvallthetime

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 5:41 AM

I've been avoiding watching reruns on Hallmark because I find the number of commercial breaks obnoxious (even with DVR). Now, WE is about to ruin my viewing with their excessive plays of those Kendra promos with her braying laugh. Every freaking commercial break!

roseslg

roseslg

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 9:20 AM

I've been avoiding watching reruns on Hallmark because I find the number of commercial breaks obnoxious (even with DVR). Now, WE is about to ruin my viewing with their excessive plays of those Kendra promos with her braying laugh. Every freaking commercial break!

And they start a scene and then cut to commercial!!! It pisses me off.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 10:09 AM

I hate that they insert a commercial break where it clearly wasn't supposed to be -- you can tell because they start the interstitial music when a character is still talking. It just looks really sloppy.

BlakeSpeare

BlakeSpeare

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 6:09 PM

I also hate when they cut a good joke, and then leave in the laughter from the laugh track to remind you that the editors have screwed you out of a good gag.

For example, the flashback where Sophia finds out it's really her 50th birthday instead of her 48th. After Sal tells her that she's acting like an ass, because she doesn't look 50 or 48, and she's just as beautiful as the day they met, I love it when Sophia asks him to say it again, and he says, "You're acting like an ass!"

I fully expected Hallmark to cut the "ass" line, considering how prudish they are. But they could have at least cut the audience's reaction, so that it didn't go straight from Sophia saying, "Tell me that again!" to the sound of hysterical laughter.

Hell, if I had never seen the episode before, I would have thought that the joke was that Sal refused to say anything, which would make him a jerk rather than a man with a good sense of humor.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 11:05 PM

I also hate when they cut a good joke, and then leave in the laughter from the laugh track to remind you that the editors have screwed you out of a good gag.

The "four senior citizens living under one roof" line and the cut to Blanche is a prime example of this one.