The Golden Girls

• Please log in to reply

11482 replies to this topic

Egg Foo Yong

Egg Foo Yong

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2009 @ 12:24 PM

So we met all of Dorothy and Sophia's kids except Phil. We never met Blanche's son Matthew although we know he's a CPA. She also mentioned sons Biff, Doug, and Skippy whom we never met - it was in the Mercedes episode. "Dorothy, I have had four sons but I've never had a Mercedes!" As for Rose, we never met Charlie Jr.

Didn't Blanche end up having another son who turned up on The Golden Palace, giving her six kids in all? And I thought Charlie Jr. was Rose's granddaughter from Kirsten #1, not her actual child. I remember her mentioning Adam, Ginella, Kirsten, and Bridget, but not a Charlie Jr.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Sep 4, 2009 @ 3:04 PM

Don't forget Blanche's stepson (the one who showed up on her doorstep and announced that he was George's son from an extramarital affair that Blanche had never known about up until that point.)

Edited by legaleagle44, Sep 4, 2009 @ 3:04 PM.

WWWBearFL

WWWBearFL

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 4, 2009 @ 3:15 PM

Don't forget Blanche's stepson (the one who showed up on her doorstep and announced that he was George's son from an extramarital affair that Blanche had never known about up until that point.)

And she could have had Andy Rooney.

jackius71

jackius71

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2009 @ 3:38 PM

Surely the asshatishness of the girls' children was merely a factor of having to introduce a character, a plot line, build to a conflict and add a resolution in a 25 minute period? In more modern sitcoms there are generally more longer running story lines, and often GG was about making a particular point with that specific episode. This even affected the girls on many occasions - Blanche and Dorothy refused to speak ever again after Dorothy wouldn't believe her boyfriend made a pass at Blanche, and Rose was livid at Blanche and Dorothy for reading her diary, but then quickly forgave them. I think it's more jarring with their children as they generally only visited for a few episodes, so their only purpose was to generate maximum DRAMA. It's not as if they ever talked through problems on this show, or didn't completely fly off the handle whenever anything happened.

Whenever anything on this show happens that I think doesn't make sense I just wait a few seconds, and no doubt there's some zinger that makes it all worthwhile.

jenmarie

jenmarie

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2009 @ 6:58 PM

Blanche's daughter in HAR was nice though, even pretty funny. Though I think it brings the Blanche child count up to five.

Wasn't that the oft mentioned but never before seen Janet? I liked her too, but she was played by Jessica Lundy who I generally have a fondness for.

Summer InA Bowl

Summer InA Bowl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2009 @ 9:14 PM

They were always talking about how Janet didn't get along with Blanche, though. But when we finally met her, she seemed fine.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Sep 4, 2009 @ 10:20 PM

Surely you cannot be suggesting that the show suffered from some kind of character continuity issue? *sprays self with water*

Actually I wasn't, that was the first time we'd met Janet.

I though Kate was mostly fine, a little annoying in her second appearance but it was her marriage, her life, and her choices and Dorothy needed to respect that.

Bridget was fine (she's the one that slept with Micheal, right?), needed to excersise better decsion making but otherwise a pleasant person who simply wished to be open and honest with her mother.

Micheal was just fine in his first two appearances then completely fell apart in his last. You'd think with a wife and child he'd have matured a bit because the levekl of irresponsability is just unforgivable there. And the way he gets mad at Dorothy just ticks me off.

jenmarie

jenmarie

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2009 @ 10:50 PM

The only thing that ever bothered me was that when they finally cast Janet, she seemed way too young considering that Blanche's grandson, and Janet's son would've been 21 or 22 by the seventh season. He was 15 I think when they had him on the show 7 years earlier. JL looked like she was only in her early to mid 30's. If indeed that was Janet, which I thought it was. It's that continuity thing again.

The funny thing about the show is that for all if it's lack of continuity with the children the one thing that was consistent was Blanche's contentious relationship with Janet and her efforts over the years to mend the relationship.

Josette

Josette

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2009 @ 11:01 PM

We never met Blanche's son Matthew although we know he's a CPA

Didn't Blanche end up having another son who turned up on The Golden Palace

The son on Golden Palace was Matthew. He had decided to leave accounting and become a stand-up comic.

I remember her mentioning ... but not a Charlie Jr.

I think he was mentioned in the Mother's Day episode. Rose got a phone call from him.

sunflower7

sunflower7

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 5, 2009 @ 9:12 PM

Has anyone else noticed that Rose only had one purse that she carried all the time. It was the straw clutch purse. Every time she come in the front door she was always carrying that ugly straw purse. Couldn't they have given her another one to carry.

Rodney

Rodney

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2009 @ 4:22 AM

Phenobarbara
As for Rose, we never met Charlie Jr.

Or Adam or Janella.

Egg Foo Yong
And I thought Charlie Jr. was Rose's granddaughter from Kirsten #1, not her actual child.

Her name was actually Charley (different spelling). Charlie, Jr., was Rose's fourth of five children.

mezz98

mezz98

Posted Sep 6, 2009 @ 2:20 PM

Or Adam or Janella.

Which one of these was conceived on the Day of the Princess Pig - you know, when they have the pig crowning?

missiemeghan

missiemeghan

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 6, 2009 @ 2:47 PM

Which one of these was conceived on the Day of the Princess Pig - you know, when they have the pig crowning?

Adam, I believe. And Janella was conceived on Hay Day - 'the day we St. Olafians celebrate hay.'

Rodney

Rodney

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2009 @ 3:16 PM

The Kirsten conception anecdote was the funniest one to me, though to this day, I've never really understood the "forgot to put cheese between us" thing.

HWavoidance

HWavoidance

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2009 @ 3:20 PM

I took cheese to mean a diaphragm.

missiemeghan

missiemeghan

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 6, 2009 @ 5:53 PM

My dirty mind always thought that Rose and Charlie came to town dressed as two halves of the same sandwich. Being in such close proximity got them hot and they conceived Kirsten right there in their costume.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Sep 6, 2009 @ 8:19 PM

I always thought she was being literal about the costume malfunction leading to sex. Rose was pretty much always straightforward.

ButterQueen

ButterQueen

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2009 @ 1:34 AM

Did anyone watch the marathon today? I may be wrong, but it seemed most of the episodes weren't cut. I really enjoyed watching all the episodes without so many commercials.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 7:27 AM

Just discovered this forum. I've been watching the hour long blocks on WE and Hallmark channels. I didn't watch this show much when it was in it's original run, but I'm loving it now. I'd actually rather watch it than much of the stuff on tv right now. I'm glad it's available.

Adam, I believe. And Janella was conceived on Hay Day - 'the day we St. Olafians celebrate hay.'

I LOVE Rose's St. Olaf stories. They can go from poignant to the utterly ridiculous while not seemingly like a time filler for the show. It's so much a part of Rose that it's appropriate. I don't know the name of the episode but it was recently shown. The episode where the girls are involved in a murder mystery party. Rose is trying to guess who the murderer is but blurts out something obviously wrong. The 'detective' looks at her and says, "St. Olaf?".

I didn't like the Henny Penny episode either. I hated that story when I was a child anyway, but didn't like the part where they thought it would get children interested in reading. What a horrible tragedy. I did wonder if the writer's wrote that episode so the Girls could show off how nice their legs looked even at their ages. However, I felt sorry for Dorothy that she always got stuck wearing the non-cute costumes. Turkey-Lurkey? Why didn't she play Ducky Lucky?

The ladies had really nice wardrobes usually, but Dorothy's were different. She often had outfits where the necklines were either bunched up or puddled around her neck... cowl necks, over-designed collars that were limp and sloppy, or something that draped all over the place. While I'm at it, I've got to mention how awful I thought that wedding dress was. FUGLY! Dorothy wore it in the episode where she marries Lucas Hollingsworth (Leslie Nielsen). It had what looked like construction paper loops that went down the bodice in a V shape. The rest of the dress was pretty, but those damn loops were distracting. On a happy note, Dorothy's hair looked really great for most of the series.

Another episode I didn't like was "A Little Romance". It's the one where Rose is dating Dr. Jonathan Newman who happens to be a dwarf. The jokes were surprisingly low. Since the writer's liked to write politically correct "After School Special" themes, making fun of a little person seemed way off for them.

One episode that makes me cry every time is "EbbTide's Revenge". Phil is dead and Angela comes over to make peace with Sophia. Sophia's been angry with Angela for so long that it's hard for her to move on. Rose force feeds them one of her St. Olaf stories and it's surprisingly poignant. She talks about how the family of so-and-so, who thought he was a bird, let shame keep them from loving him. Rose asks if Phil was a good father and provider. Angela says yes. Sophia suddenly knows it's not her fault that Phil was the way he was. Sophia stands up and says, "my baby is gone". It makes me cry everytime, yet I still watch it. That scene must have been particularly hard on Estelle, Bea, Rue and Betty. When she says her line, the ladies are looking away or down to prepare themselves.

To close with one of their many funny lines -
Rose: "You know what I think?"
Blanche: "Reindeer know how to fly?"

Edited by SunShine Gal, Sep 9, 2009 @ 8:33 AM.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 8:22 AM

Why would Henny Penny turn kids away from reading? Sure, it's not the most entertaining story but it's much better than 95% of the other things they'd have had to sit through as school 'entertainment'.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 8:37 AM

Why would Henny Penny turn kids away from reading?

Why bother reading a book where there is a possibility of some horrible ending? When I was a child I felt cheated when I'd put time into reading a book and there was a tragic ending. YMMV.

Edited by SunShine Gal, Sep 9, 2009 @ 8:45 AM.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 8:46 AM

None of the kids I knew were ever bothered by a story not having a happy ending. In fact a lot of us got a thrill out of the story taking an unexpected twist.

WWWBearFL

WWWBearFL

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 10:08 AM

None of the kids I knew were ever bothered by a story not having a happy ending

I remember reading "Charlotte's Web" for the first time and crying for 15-20 minutes at the end of it. But it's still one of my favorite children's books and I'm still a voracious reader 30+ years later!
(2-3 books going at one time)

MHCBadDude

MHCBadDude

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 12:11 PM

The ladies had really nice wardrobes usually, but Dorothy's were different. She often had outfits where the necklines were either bunched up or puddled around her neck... cowl necks, over-designed collars that were limp and sloppy, or something that draped all over the place. While I'm at it, I've got to mention how awful I thought that wedding dress was. FUGLY! Dorothy wore it in the episode where she marries Lucas Hollingsworth (Leslie Nielsen). It had what looked like construction paper loops that went down the bodice in a V shape. The rest of the dress was pretty, but those damn loops were distracting. On a happy note, Dorothy's hair looked really great for most of the series.

Dorothy definitely got the shaft when it came to wardrobe. I guess it just had to do with her Dorothy being characterized as not very sexy and kind of awkward. I did love her hair though through season 4. It looked a lot like this. It just gave her a more feminine look, which was nice at times.

One episode that makes me cry every time is "EbbTide's Revenge". Phil is dead and Angela comes over to make peace with Sophia. Sophia's been angry with Angela for so long that it's hard for her to move on. Rose force feeds them one of her St. Olaf stories and it's surprisingly poignant. She talks about how the family of so-and-so, who thought he was a bird, let shame keep them from loving him. Rose asks if Phil was a good father and provider. Angela says yes. Sophia suddenly knows it's not her fault that Phil was the way he was. Sophia stands up and says, "my baby is gone". It makes me cry everytime, yet I still watch it. That scene must have been particularly hard on Estelle, Bea, Rue and Betty. When she says her line, the ladies are looking away or down to prepare themselves.

I just watched this the other day and absolutely cried. It's just so sad when she explains why she was angry. I absolutely lose it when she says, "my baby's gone." It's one of my favorite episodes along with Mrs. George Devereaux and the Days and Nights of Sophia Petrillo.

mezz98

mezz98

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 3:36 PM

On the subject of Rose’s St. Olaf stories, does everyone have a favorite? I kind of like the one we got in brief about Little Yiminy – the boy who was raised (and put through medical school) by a goat(?) I also liked the story about Gretchen and Buddy the two dogs whose illicit coupling gave Mr. Vigbodder a litter of schnaumations.

Alma Flamenca

Alma Flamenca

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 3:52 PM

Saw the pilot again last week. We have Blanche's virtually non-existant accent (and her last name is Hollingsworth in this!), Coco the cook, the bare kitchen with no calendar. The whole thing feels like a play vs. a TV show. Something about the acting, I can't put my finger on it. Luckily it only got better from there!

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 4:40 PM

I like the story of the boy who didn't cry wolf who became known as the boy who cried continously.

canasian

canasian

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 4:50 PM

I rather like the story about the Great herring War

Jeaux35

Jeaux35

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 6:17 PM

Herring circus. Hysterical.

MHCBadDude

MHCBadDude

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 7:06 PM

Saw the pilot again last week. We have Blanche's virtually non-existant accent (and her last name is Hollingsworth in this!), Coco the cook, the bare kitchen with no calendar. The whole thing feels like a play vs. a TV show. Something about the acting, I can't put my finger on it. Luckily it only got better from there!

I just watched it a couple of days with my sister and she mentioned the same two things: her barely-there accent and her Hollingsworh last name. My guess would be that it's different because, I think the production and stuff was better. I don't know how to explain it but something in production was improved. I agree though that's really hard to pinpoint exactly what makes it different, but I am glad it is.

In regards to St. Olaf stories, I love the town's meanest ventriloquist, Ingmar Bergen.

Edited by MHCBadDude, Sep 9, 2009 @ 7:45 PM.